The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal Van- Tor

Was thinking about this one while driving home yesterday.

To Leafs: Michael Ferland

To Canucks: 2021 or 2020 4th round pick & Nick Petan

Reasoning...

For the leafs

If Ferland continues to have problems with his health he doesn't fit our need for a steady top 6 guy. However, he does meet Toronto's need for grit (with speed). The thinking is the leafs would be okay sitting him until the playoffs start. Then have him for a playoff run. Worst case Ferland never gets better, they send him to Robidas Island. Of all teams they can afford it.

For the Canucks

- Free us up from a contract, gives us room to make a move for a top 6 winger. We still have enough grit to get buy, and could easily acquire more in a bottom 6 capacity if we feel the need. - Petan is a decent contract, but is more just to balance money a bit. Might play spot duty

Summary 

I know the leafs are up against cap (roughly 1.5m in space). However, somehow they will always find a way to make it work. Especially if Ferland is on LTIR until playoffs. 

Could be way off, especially with Leafs cap situation. Seemed like a decent fit to me. 

I'd rather keep Ferk.

He brings an element to the team which we badly need.

He's already, in his limited sample size, leading this team in hits/GP and that's exactly what I expected him to bring. 

I expect his scoring will come around when/if he gets into the lineup on a regular basis. 

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I'd rather keep Ferk.

He brings an element to the team which we badly need.

He's already, in his limited sample size, leading this team in hits/GP and that's exactly what I expected him to bring. 

I expect his scoring will come around when/if he gets into the lineup on a regular basis. 

I agree Ferk is a great player to have. One of the most destructive guys in the leauge. I just don't know if hes worth having if he only plays 20-30 games. 

There are too many variables to really say what his value is. I just think cap space has more value to us then he does.

We could probably get a gritty hard hitting guy for close to league min to play a similar role. 

Appreciate the feedback my guy

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

So they trade for him why? They have no cap and your post says they’ll get around it by him being injured in the playoffs. Lol.

I thought I said be on LTIR 'until' playoffs. They trade for him specifically for playoffs. During playoffs I believe you can go over? Not 100% on that.

It all seems kinda dumb now, thanks for exposing me ya rat

2 hours ago, RecklessReilly said:

I thought I said be on LTIR 'until' playoffs. They trade for him specifically for playoffs. During playoffs I believe you can go over? Not 100% on that.

It all seems kinda dumb now, thanks for exposing me ya rat

Yeah that’s what I meant. They give up a pick and cheap depth for a guy they can’t afford with massive injury risks and their way around his cap is him or someone else being injured. :p

don't you think it looks really bad on the nucks team

to sign a fa to a 4 year contract

and they trade him away 3 months into that deal

cuz he got an injury playing for our team

what sort of loyalty is that

will hurt our future efforts to get ufa signings

oh

and guess what

ferland protected himself against your silliness

he has a nmc this season

so how do you think you can even pull off this trade???

:emot-parrot:

• Upvote 1