The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Updated-Report] Canucks place Sven Baertschi on Waivers

Sven is a capable NHL player, our team has gone in a different direction player personnel wise. I don't agree with him not being on the team but it is what it is.

Need to find a team looking to dump a similar salary player... Sven and a pick/prospect for Boedker? or we just taking a conditional pick or futures and have to add to Sven to move him?

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

28 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Teams are just jumping at a $3.4m AHLer. Didn't we try to trade him prior to waiving him? 

I guess the agent is trying to force Jim's hand. I doubt there is anything out there, but one can hope for a pick. 

Would think they would buy him out this summer rather than bury him another season.  It would be cheaper cap wise to trade him - even at 50% retained.  

21 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Miles Wood was rumoured to be maybe available, Bogosian asked for a trade this week

Three way trade which fits the need of all three teams given their place in the standings & cap situation:

To Vancouver: Miles Wood
To NJ: Zach Bogosian, 3rd round pick Vancouver, 3rd round pick Buffalo 
To Buffalo: Sven Baertschi

NJ: Looking to move Wood for a defenseman. Now since they are pretty much out of the playoff race they would get a couple of picks for a struggling player, a stop gap in a position of need, and potentially Bogosian could be moved for another pick (maybe a 4th or 5th) at the deadline. Have the cap space for this deal. 

Van: Get a new home for Sven and a younger player who fits the mould of fast and physical - I think Wood if he bounces back would be a great fit in Van. Also save a bit of cap space. 

Buffalo: Give Bogosian a new home, looking for a second line player. Sven is a proven contributor who just didn't get a chance this year. They also shed some cap space giving them an option of adding a player at the deadline. At the end of the day they are shedding salary of a useless player for a cheaper player who has an opportunity to contribute. 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Upvote 2

I hope we get something for him, hats off to Benning if he gets better than a 5th rounder. I like Baertschi, I hope he gets a great chance somewhere. I have always felt TG doesn’t like him because of weak defence and small size but he can put up points, he deserves to be in the NHL.

1 minute ago, canucklehead44 said:

Three way trade

To Vancouver: Miles Wood
To NJ: Zach Bogosian, 3rd round pick Vancouver, 3rd round pick Buffalo 
To Buffalo: Sven Baertschi

NJ: Looking to move Wood for a defenseman. Now since they are pretty much out of the playoff race they would get a couple of picks for a struggling player, a stop gap in a position of need, and potentially Bogosian could be moved for another pick (maybe a 4th or 5th) at the deadline. Have the cap space for this deal. 

Van: Get a new home for Sven and a younger player who fits the mould of fast and physical - I think Wood if he bounces back would be a great fit in Van. Also save a bit of cap space. 

Buffalo: Give Bogosian a new home, looking for a second line player. Sven is a proven contributor who just didn't get a chance this year. They also shed some cap space giving them an option of adding a player at the deadline. At the end of the day they are shedding salary of a useless player for a cheaper player who has an opportunity to contribute. 

If we weren't so loaded at F I would say Wood for Stecher would be realistic also. NJ gains 2 picks then can flip Bogo again at the TDL for another pick. 3 3rds for Wood basically? 

Not often do 3 way deals happen but it benefits all 3 teams I think.

Just now, Toyotasfan said:

I hope we get something for him, hats off to Benning if he gets better than a 5th rounder. I like Baertschi, I hope he gets a great chance somewhere. I have always felt TG doesn’t like him because of weak defence and small size but he can put up points, he deserves to be in the NHL.

We will be retaining, adding something to Sven or taking back a similar contract. Could package him in a deal for another player maybe like Subban, add in Stecher plus more

Just now, xereau said:

Sven got plenty of opportunity, and he was flat, which should speak volumes of our depth, for Sven is still a decent player.

I hope Jim finds him a good match, and perhaps we get lucky with whoever we receive in return.

How so? Sven 2pts in 6gp. Eriksson, 1pt in 17gp who also happens to have a much higher cap hit, yet that waste of space is still kept on the NHL roster...

LE has been a disappointment from day 1, to me Sven was with this team through some crappy seasons and he deserves to be on the NHL roster over LE. Fact that he can produce better and have a much cheaper cap hit are the easy reasons to point out.

But its all water under the bridge, Canucks feel they have lots of scoring depth and have no need for Sven so they are going to deal him at some point. I would have kept him myself and given him a fair shake this year, but we kept the useless LE instead...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Doesn't play the style Canucks need. Leivo can score just as much AND uses his body. Unfortunately for Baer his best days are over after his concussion, he's just almost afraid to be physical on the ice.

Edited by Baer.
  • Upvote 4