The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Updated-Report] Canucks place Sven Baertschi on Waivers

I think the issue is that Baer isn't a fit with the type of play the Benning wants from his players.  That's really the issue.  He puts up around 0.55 ppg which puts him in a class with most 2nd line players.  He played 6 games with the Canucks and had only 2 assists but he really didn't have a chance to find his NHL legs.  I think he generally takes 6-10 games to hit his stride.  His AHL performance is 4-18-22 +5 in 15 games.  He's well over a ppg which would indicated that he out classes the AHL competition.  For the Canucks, I thought they were going to go with Sven on the 2nd line, then Benning signed Ferland.  They clearly prefer Leivo or Pearson who are harder on the puck if less skilled.

I think that as the season progresses, there will be a team with an injury at the 3rd or maybe 2nd line level where he would fit.  It's a matter of the opportunity arising.

• Cheers 1

With all our injuries we had, there was no reason not to give Sven 10-20 games up with the big club. That is giving him a legit chance to get his NHL legs, form that chemistry with Bo again etc. I thought he had some good scoring chances but was unlucky.

For all the people on CDC that he is afraid to be physical, the NHL is a very soft league now. We have guys that dont make a single hit on the team now...Many other teams have "skilled" guys who dont provide any physical play or finish there checks etc. To me it is a cop out to say he is not hear because he is afraid or  shies away from the dirty areas, he was never that kind of player EVER for us before.

The team just thinks all these other F on the NHL roster are better, fact is they are incorrect. Sven should be in the press box, still living and practicing with the Canucks, not a dead weight waste of space Loser #21

Gm JB needs to man the eff up and waive that lazy swede's arse! 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

How so? Sven 2pts in 6gp. Eriksson, 1pt in 17gp who also happens to have a much higher cap hit, yet that waste of space is still kept on the NHL roster...

LE has been a disappointment from day 1, to me Sven was with this team through some crappy seasons and he deserves to be on the NHL roster over LE. Fact that he can produce better and have a much cheaper cap hit are the easy reasons to point out.

But its all water under the bridge, Canucks feel they have lots of scoring depth and have no need for Sven so they are going to deal him at some point. I would have kept him myself and given him a fair shake this year, but we kept the useless LE instead...

They kept LE?  Like they had a choice.  He can't be traded and he would take up a valuable place for a developing player in Utica.  So they're stuck with him.  LE is pretty much a press box regular when the team is close to healthy and despite how everybody feels, the Canucks see him as defensively sound and good on the PK.  On a day to day basis, I don't think they consider his salary at all.  They can't.  

Sven at least, will make other players better in Utica and really produces there  

Comparing him to Baer is apples to oranges.  Baer is 2nd PP and soft on the puck but when he goes to the dirty areas, which he will, he can be effective.  

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I'd say it was an even trade because both teams got what they wanted at the time. Andersson does look like a promising player for the the Flames. He's starting to rack up points now. However, Baertschi once upon a time produced good numbers with Horvat and company. It's too bad the magic is gone.

Not really a 'win/lose' type of trade where it's so lopsided.

ok

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

With all our injuries we had, there was no reason not to give Sven 10-20 games up with the big club. That is giving him a legit chance to get his NHL legs, form that chemistry with Bo again etc. I thought he had some good scoring chances but was unlucky.

For all the people on CDC that he is afraid to be physical, the NHL is a very soft league now. We have guys that dont make a single hit on the team now...Many other teams have "skilled" guys who dont provide any physical play or finish there checks etc. To me it is a cop out to say he is not hear because he is afraid or  shies away from the dirty areas, he was never that kind of player EVER for us before.

The team just thinks all these other F on the NHL roster are better, fact is they are incorrect. Sven should be in the press box, still living and practicing with the Canucks, not a dead weight waste of space Loser #21

Gm JB needs to man the eff up and waive that lazy swede's arse! 

Not disagreeing with you fwiw.  Neither LE or Baer are fitting with the "new" Canucks.  I think they see Baer as more valuable as a development tool in Utica than LE.  

Baer could easily be playing on a line with Horvat and Pearson but they want players who are harder to play against.

It's complicated, this is my 3rd post in this thread today and between all 3, I think I've covered my opinion

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

They kept LE?  Like they had a choice.   

Simple choice, I mean decision...Waive Loser #21 and then sit him in the AHL press box. Sven deserves to be up in the NHL over Loser#21. He was a good player for us, played thru some crappy years and should have the benefit of the doubt imo.

I hope he gets moved for his sake, then continues with his NHL career. He is NOT an AHL player. Loser#21 is a Swedish paper soft player, could maybe crack the 4th line on J. Dahlen's team?

1 hour ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

He played well enough in preseason to make the team ahead of a few guys I thought. Outplayed Virtanen, Schaller, Motte and Eriksson. 

Irrelevant. Apples to Oranges. Those are all bottom 6 players. Baertschi can’t play a bottom 6 game. He is only usable in the top 6. What top 6 player did he outplay?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, billabong said:

Can’t see anyone taking on Sven without sending a bad contract the other way

i hope I’m wrong though 

you are correct, otherwise they would have taken him for free. A bottom feeder might take him on without sending us a bad contract back....with a sweetener. Personally, Canucks are NOT at the point to be giving up a pick or prospect to move Sven. We still have little depth in our organization, need all the picks and prospects possible imo

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Yep 5 years later we can finally say the flames might have won that trade.

Depends whether you factor in Horvat's development into it or not.   WD saw Horvat as a shutdown C - would Horvat have become the same player if he had been kept in a defensive role with defensive players.  Remember when WD had Horvat start the season on the 4th line although Baertschi-Horvat had developed chemistry the previous season.  Horvat talked about how they were figuring things out together.  

Too bad the concussions derailed his career - hope they can find a fit somewhere and he can get back on track.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

He can call it a career tbh and still be appreciated... I want him to play for himself but he has 1 concussion away from being screwed.

Seems more durable than Ferland, guy cant even play in a hockey game without symptoms...that is truly sad

47 minutes ago, xereau said:

Sven got plenty of opportunity, and he was flat, which should speak volumes of our depth, for Sven is still a decent player.

I hope Jim finds him a good match, and perhaps we get lucky with whoever we receive in return.

I agree. When he didn’t make the team out of training camp I was as shocked as anyone and questioned the choice. However each opportunity Baertschi has had to play with the big club after that he has looked out of place. Our team is moving in another direction. We simply have better options in our top 6 now. I wish him the best of luck. I hope he finds another situation that suits him and his family. 

Like most of Vancouver expendables Sven has zero value.

goldobin LE Schaller sutter.

Are a few They should be shopping add tanev to that list to before he’s hurt. Tanevs the only one that might get a decent return. The others would most likely cost us to move. 

Edler 1 full season in his career nhl 2007-2019.

Getting rid of the perineal often injured would make this team better and we wouldn’t have to rely on the depth ( of which we have none) constantly.  

Edited by Tracksuit
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2