The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Updated-Report] Canucks place Sven Baertschi on Waivers

49 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

How so? Sven 2pts in 6gp. Eriksson, 1pt in 17gp who also happens to have a much higher cap hit, yet that waste of space is still kept on the NHL roster...

LE has been a disappointment from day 1, to me Sven was with this team through some crappy seasons and he deserves to be on the NHL roster over LE. Fact that he can produce better and have a much cheaper cap hit are the easy reasons to point out.

But its all water under the bridge, Canucks feel they have lots of scoring depth and have no need for Sven so they are going to deal him at some point. I would have kept him myself and given him a fair shake this year, but we kept the useless LE instead...

20 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Irrelevant. Apples to Oranges. Those are all bottom 6 players. Baertschi can’t play a bottom 6 game. He is only usable in the top 6. What top 6 player did he outplay?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

He can call it a career tbh and still be appreciated... I want him to play for himself but he has 1 concussion away from being screwed.

all players are at risk of being a concussion away from being out of the league.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Looking back would we rather have Rasmus Andersson?

Providing the Canucks actually drafted him, and not any of the other options.

Shame about Sven's concussion problems or he'd likely still be Horvat's winger.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Providing the Canucks actually drafted him, and not any of the other options.

Shame about Sven's concussion problems or he'd likely still be Horvat's winger.

Benning said that they were going to draft Brisebois in the 2nd round and were really thrilled that he was still available when they picked him in the 3rd round - was the pick from the Lack trade.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Sven adds good veteran depth. Wouldn't want to trade him for nothing

its not nothing, it would be for cap space. Honestly if they traded him to Detroit for Franzen that would be a good deal for us imo. Adds LTIR for us this year but clears Svens 3.4 for next season. 

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, billabong said:

Can’t see anyone taking on Sven without sending a bad contract the other way

i hope I’m wrong though 

41 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

you are correct, otherwise they would have taken him for free. A bottom feeder might take him on without sending us a bad contract back....with a sweetener. Personally, Canucks are NOT at the point to be giving up a pick or prospect to move Sven. We still have little depth in our organization, need all the picks and prospects possible imo

I agree. We are not currently in the position to be giving up sweeteners to move players at this stage of moving from rebuild to playing for a wild card spot. We need the depth that we have. If a hockey trade can be working out for Sven and his family fantastic, but not if it involves sacrificing depth. 

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Who would have thought the Canucks are looking into trading Sven lol. He’s only been waived twice and unclaimed and holds a 3.4 mill cap hit for what looks like a fringe NHL player with a bad injury history.

Waived once - not twice.  At the end of training camp when teams are looking to become cap and roster compliant.  

16 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Hindsight is always 20/20. At the time that trade was a clear win for Benning and Baer served this team well when we were in need of skilled forwards to fill the age gap. Unfortunately his services are no longer required.

Looking back would we rather have Rasmus Andersson? Sure. But I will ask this.. Does Bo Horvat still develop into the same versatile player without playing with Baer to help develop his offensive game? Would losing even more games during the rebuild (without players like Baer filling the age gap) have still developed our young players in the same way? 

In my opinion developing players in a (more) winning environment (rather than tanking) is better for player development. Baertschi served this team well for that purpose and I wish him and his family all the best in the next stage of his career. 

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Right or wrong, it doesn’t matter. At the time, I didn’t like the trade when Andersson dropped to that spot. He was a guy I always liked in junior and thought that, as long as he got his conditioning in order, he’d be a top 4 someday.

Also never liked Baer. Always struck me as a guy who either had to excel in a top 6 role, or wouldn’t be effective in the NHL at all. But again, just my opinion. Thought at the time that the Canucks should not have been looking at trading any picks in the first 3 rounds, especially since they were far from a playoff team at that point. And now we’re seeing the fruits of holding onto draft picks and developing players. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Monty said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Right or wrong, it doesn’t matter. At the time, I didn’t like the trade when Andersson dropped to that spot. He was a guy I always liked in junior and thought that, as long as he got his conditioning in order, he’d be a top 4 someday.

Also never liked Baer. Always struck me as a guy who either had to excel in a top 6 role, or wouldn’t be effective in the NHL at all. But again, just my opinion. Thought at the time that the Canucks should not have been looking at trading any picks in the first 3 rounds, especially since they were far from a playoff team at that point. And now we’re seeing the fruits of holding onto draft picks and developing players. 

Fair enough @Monty

You would have really been upset then when Benning passed on Andersson and drafted Brisebois with the 2nd instead of him falling to the 3rd round. ::D

Edited by Roger Neilsons Towel
Missed the “e” in Breezer’s name.
  • Haha 1

He honestly deserves it. I'm still of the mind that given the right chance, he can score 20 goals and 45-50 points and won't at all be surprised if he scores at that rate with a new team. Unfortunately, it seems like we'll somehow have to add to get a team to take him though, given that he went through waivers unless injuries now make a team willing to give up a 6th round pick or something now.

• Cheers 1

I still think there should be a place in the Canucks top 9 for Sven. He's not the most physical, but sound defensively and would immediately be the second most skilled after EP. He would be a nice complementary piece to all the heavy-forechecker-type players (Pearson, Leivo, Miller, Horvat, Virtanen, Beagle, Schaller, MacEwen, Ferland, Roussel).

I would also keep him as insurance in case something happens to Brock, whom I wouldn't expect to play 82.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Fair enough @Monty

You would have really been upset then when Benning passed on Andersson and drafted Brisbois with the 2nd instead of him falling to the 3rd round. ::D

In one of my keeper leagues, before the actual draft that year, I reached hard on Andersson with the 24th overall pick, as I knew he’d be gone by my next pick, which wasn’t until the 3rd round. I just had this strong feeling that he’d develop into a strong defender. 

As for Brisebois? Nothing against him. Neither here nor there. But definitely would not have taken him over Andersson in any universe. 

• Cheers 1