The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Updated-Report] Canucks place Sven Baertschi on Waivers

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

My bad I thought when he was sent down for the 2nd time that meant he went through waivers again because of his one way contract.

Waivers is again required after 10 NHL games or 30 days on the roster.  He played only 6 games and they sent him down a few days before the 30 day limit.  

One-way contract has nothing to do with waivers.  One-way/two-way is only about salary.  On a one-way the player gets the same salary in the AHL as in the NHL.  On a two-way he gets a different salary depending on whether he is in the NHL or the AHL.  Boucher is on a two-way contract - 750K in the NHL and 450K in the AHL but he still had to go through waivers.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Three way trade which fits the need of all three teams given their place in the standings & cap situation:

To Vancouver: Miles Wood
To NJ: Zach Bogosian, 3rd round pick Vancouver, 3rd round pick Buffalo 
To Buffalo: Sven Baertschi

NJ: Looking to move Wood for a defenseman. Now since they are pretty much out of the playoff race they would get a couple of picks for a struggling player, a stop gap in a position of need, and potentially Bogosian could be moved for another pick (maybe a 4th or 5th) at the deadline. Have the cap space for this deal. 

Van: Get a new home for Sven and a younger player who fits the mould of fast and physical - I think Wood if he bounces back would be a great fit in Van. Also save a bit of cap space. 

Buffalo: Give Bogosian a new home, looking for a second line player. Sven is a proven contributor who just didn't get a chance this year. They also shed some cap space giving them an option of adding a player at the deadline. At the end of the day they are shedding salary of a useless player for a cheaper player who has an opportunity to contribute. 

Were loaded with bottom six guys, hard pass

15 minutes ago, mll said:

Can they find someone to take him at 50%.  He has one year left after this one.

Buried - 2.3M cap hit.

Bought out - 1.77M cap hit followed by 800K the season after.

Traded with up to 50% retained - at most 1.68M

The latter is obviously preferred if we can find a trade partner. Otherwise buy-out it is. 

Cheers for doing the math!

• Upvote 2

He's starting to sound like Eriksson. No opportunity/wrong role etc lol

Wonder if we can package them up to Ottawa for future considerations? :D

But in all seriousness though, Sven >>>>>>>> Eriksson and he's been a pretty good Canuck despite the concussion history.

Hope he ends up having a long career no matter where he ends up. But it's a good sign that there is no longer room for fringe players like this on our squad!

Long live Bearcheese!

Smurf of last season. When he was playing it felt like last season. If its true he requested a trade I think it's hilarious. i believe that's what happened in Calgary with even his father weighing in. He claimed he never got a chance. 

well JB picked this guy up and hes had his problems but hes also had his chances. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Waivers is again required after 10 NHL games or 30 days on the roster.  He played only 6 games and they sent him down a few days before the 30 day limit.  

One-way contract has nothing to do with waivers.  One-way/two-way is only about salary.  On a one-way the player gets the same salary in the AHL as in the NHL.  On a two-way he gets a different salary depending on whether he is in the NHL or the AHL.  Boucher is on a two-way contract - 750K in the NHL and 450K in the AHL but he still had to go through waivers.  

Good to know thanks! Still though I don’t think it should come as a surprise that the team is looking to move a guy making 3.4 mill when they have him playing more AHL games than NHL games.

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

sven and 2020 3rd round pick to columbus for riley nash and a 2020 5th round pick?

I'm not sure we need to give up another pick or if we need a guy like Riley Nash but Columbus was a destination I felt would work for Sven. They need some scoring depth. But his concussion history is really scaring teams off and I can't blame them. But who knows, a healthy year could do wonders by the time the trade deadline hits. If not Columbus, I'm not sure who needs/wants him. Maybe New Jersey if they have a fire sale?!? Would Pittsburgh take him, they're a carousel of players.... and possibly Anaheim?!? Take back the Kesler contract lol.

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

that package doesnt get you either, Sven has negative value and Stech doesn't hold much either

notice I had a + there as well, I understand thats not enough but what would we need to add to get something of value in return? Maybe instead of Stetcher we add Tanev and Goldy who knows?

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

notice I had a + there as well, I understand thats not enough but what would we need to add to get something of value in return? Maybe instead of Stetcher we add Tanev and Goldy who knows?

I did see that, I just don't think we have the pieces or the depth to go and acquire that type of player, even tho JB said it recently. Stay the course, ride the year out and try to address that area of need on July 1 

• Cheers 1

He should just retire.  No sympathy for these athletes that don't know when to walk away.  In all honestly giving the dangers he's actually being quite ignorant and selfish.  Enjoy the bank cashed and walk away man.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Disagree with his agent, he had a fair shot and was soft as butter and invisible on the ice. Not sure who they expect will trade for a guy the whole NHL could have picked up for free. Unfortunately hes not even an asset anymore... and i sure hope management doesnt add to a package to move him. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, rekker said:

I can't believe people still quibble over the second rounder we traded for Baer. Was worth a try and dam near worked. I still think Baer would be a solid top six player if healthy and in the right situation. 

Well I mean people are still complaining about trading a 1st for Miller as being an overpayment lol

• Cheers 2