The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Updated-Report] Canucks place Sven Baertschi on Waivers

Province article on it, with a Benning interview:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-gm-benning-confirms-team-looking-to-trade-sven-baertschi

'We’ve been working on this. I don’t know why he decided to come out publicly,' Benning said Saturday

SAN JOSE — Jim Benning has been trying to trade Sven Baertschi for the last 10 weeks.

According to the Canucks GM, the only thing that’s changed over that time is Baertschi’s agent decided to make this public on Saturday.

“Nothing’s changed,” Benning said. “I’ve been talking to Andre (Rufener, Baertschi’s agent) once or twice a week. We’ve been working on this. I don’t know why he decided to come out publicly.”

Just a guess here but maybe it’s because his client is frustrated playing in Utica.

“We told (Baertschi) when we sent him down at the start of the year we’d try to figure out how we could get him back playing in the NHL,” Benning said. “That’s what we’re trying to do. There’s some teams we’ve talked to who’ve shown some interest but it hasn’t led to a deal.”

It was put to Benning that he’s not asking a lot in return for Baertschi.

“You’ve assumed correctly” he said.

The 27-year-old Baertschi has put up impressive numbers — 4-18-22 in 15 games — in Utica this season. He played six games with the Canucks in November, recording two power play assists, before he was sent back to the Canucks’ AHL-affiliate. He’s since recorded 13 points in eight games with the Comets.

“He’s played well down there,” Benning said. “But we’ve kind of evolved as a team and our skill players are more hard skill than soft skill.”

Since being acquired from Calgary at the 2014 trade deadline, Baertschi has played 225 games with the Canucks. In three seasons between 2015 and 2018, he averaged 20 goals per 82 games but he missed most of last year with a concussion.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

At this point I think the Canucks would be doing well to find a taker for his salary and contract. We can't really expect a lot of value in return.

Best case scenario may be a swap of contracts with equal dollars going each way whereby each player needs a change of scenery and give Sven a chance to make it elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Hindsight is always 20/20. At the time that trade was a clear win for Benning and Baer served this team well when we were in need of skilled forwards to fill the age gap. Unfortunately his services are no longer required.

Looking back would we rather have Rasmus Andersson? Sure. But I will ask this.. Does Bo Horvat still develop into the same versatile player without playing with Baer to help develop his offensive game? Would losing even more games during the rebuild (without players like Baer filling the age gap) have still developed our young players in the same way? 

In my opinion developing players in a (more) winning environment (rather than tanking) is better for player development. Baertschi served this team well for that purpose and I wish him and his family all the best in the next stage of his career. 

I didn't think anybody actually still thought  "age gap" was a thing. Age gap is a Benningism not thought of by any other teams in the league. Age gap was an excuse to make questionable trades and to bring in the likes of Sven, Gramma, Chaputiie and Megna the Beautiful. 

Age gap was stealth tank.

Filling the Age Gap meant Benning traded for player he could have picked up on waivers.

As far as Bo is concerned, he might be a better player had he come through the Kesler "learn the defensive game first" routine rather than being rushed to be a scorer with face off abilities. At this point Bo is not looking like a Selke candidate. 

2 hours ago, Davathor said:

Disagree with his agent, he had a fair shot and was soft as butter and invisible on the ice. Not sure who they expect will trade for a guy the whole NHL could have picked up for free. Unfortunately hes not even an asset anymore... and i sure hope management doesnt add to a package to move him. 

6 games is a fair shot this year? Loser#21 has had 3 years to try and prove himself and he just gets worse and he is still on the Canuck roster for some unknown reason......

2 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Not sure if this embeds, but this one stuck with me. Baertschi loses the puck up ice, makes no effort to get back and watches his check score. That sealed it for me with Baertschi.

https://www.nhl.com/stars/video/fedun-buries-own-rebound/t-277437402/c-4630933

You could look up and find any player making a mistake, not getting back and the opposition scoring. Seen Brock do it as an example

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

6 games is a fair shot this year? Loser#21 has had 3 years to try and prove himself and he just gets worse and he is still on the Canuck roster for some unknown reason......

It keeps getting better... we have to protect him for the expansion draft as well...

3 hours ago, rekker said:

I can't believe people still quibble over the second rounder we traded for Baer. Was worth a try and dam near worked. I still think Baer would be a solid top six player if healthy and in the right situation. 

I still think Baer is the player Burkie traded away

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

Baertschi outplayed leivo and pearson in preseason. And Adam Gaudette is not really a typical bottom six forward and still made the team as an offensive centre playing.

Offensively, perhaps. Defensively, not a chance. Leivo and Pearson can bring middle 6 offence while still being hard on the puck. Baertschi is soft as butter. 

Gaudette played so well in preseason that he basically gave them no choice but to have him make the team (and yet Gaudette has still seen a bit of time in Utica). The same cannot be said for Baertschi. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Rooster gets injured for 8 months, plays 2 games in Utica and comes up and scored on his first shift.

Baer scores well in Utica, is in game shape and game form and needs 10 games to aclimatize?

I don't follow your reasoning.

• Cheers 1

This is what I don't get. Sven isn't happy in his role. Benning and his agent have been working on trying to find him an NHL situation. Benning stated in the article that he's surprised they have gone public with it meaning they likely want to hurry things along. Well if they feel like they have an NHL calibre player, could they not just mutually agreed to terminate the contract and he can sign where he pleases? This allows the team taking him on have less risk of the contract and not have to give up assets and allows him to play in the NHL supposedly.

If the contract money is something he doesn't want to give up, then maybe they should shut up and let Benning do his job. Benning has found a situation for Biega, he got a deal for Burrows that included an extension. Benning has a track record of trying to do what's best for the players, so I don't understand why Sven's side is trying to force the issue.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

This is what I don't get. Sven isn't happy in his role. Benning and his agent have been working on trying to find him an NHL situation. Benning stated in the article that he's surprised they have gone public with it meaning they likely want to hurry things along. Well if they feel like they have an NHL calibre player, could they not just mutually agreed to terminate the contract and he can sign where he pleases? This allows the team taking him on have less risk of the contract and not have to give up assets and allows him to play in the NHL supposedly.

If the contract money is something he doesn't want to give up, then maybe they should shut up and let Benning do his job. Benning has found a situation for Biega, he got a deal for Burrows that included an extension. Benning has a track record of trying to do what's best for the players, so I don't understand why Sven's side is trying to force the issue.

maybe the agent figures Jim isn't trying hard enough? who knows. Doubt going public helps at all really. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe the agent figures Jim isn't trying hard enough? who knows. Doubt going public helps at all really. 

I know, it makes the situation worse IMO. The agent has been given permission to seek opportunities as well. The team isn't giving up assets to move him. We are not in a situation to need to do so. He's getting paid handsomely still and remains property of the Canucks. He can mutually agree to terminate the contract and make it easier to find a new destination, but of course he doesn't want to give up the money either. So maybe they should've kept things quiet and let Benning find a suitable deal.

• Upvote 2