The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Updated-Report] Canucks place Sven Baertschi on Waivers

31 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

You could look up and find any player making a mistake, not getting back and the opposition scoring. Seen Brock do it as an example

ya but this is a player who had been in Utica for 2 months and called back up , and had a chance to show himself that he belongs back in the nhl  , and he just glides back  in the d zone to watch his check score  a goal .  Did you notice gaudette hustling back in the video ?  if baer hustled like that he might of stuck around 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

I know, it makes the situation worse IMO. The agent has been given permission to seek opportunities as well. The team isn't giving up assets to move him. We are not in a situation to need to do so. He's getting paid handsomely still and remains property of the Canucks. He can mutually agree to terminate the contract and make it easier to find a new destination, but of course he doesn't want to give up the money either. So maybe they should've kept things quiet and let Benning find a suitable deal.

Isn't there a rule that says can't play in the NHL if the contract gets terminated.  He would have to wait another year.  Several mentioned it when talking of Eriksson and others.

Just now, mll said:

Isn't there a rule that says can't play in the NHL if the contract gets terminated.  He would have to wait another year.  Several mentioned it when talking of Eriksson and others.

This is what I wasn't sure about. If that's the case, then I guess it doesn't make sense to do so. But I thought when Berglund terminated his contract, he was asked if he was going to sign with another team and he just said he needed time away sounding like it was a possiblity of doing so.

Just now, theo5789 said:

This is what I wasn't sure about. If that's the case, then I guess it doesn't make sense to do so. But I thought when Berglund terminated his contract, he was asked if he was going to sign with another team and he just said he needed time away sounding like it was a possiblity of doing so.

Several posters mentioned that it wasn't an option.  I don't know of any player that was able to do that - they either went to Europe or retired.   

40 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

6 games is a fair shot this year? Loser#21 has had 3 years to try and prove himself and he just gets worse and he is still on the Canuck roster for some unknown reason......

loui not being sent down  that is on ownership  as it has been reported by a few sources   ( that reason why is till unknown ) is baffling , you are right on that . Baer still got 6 games and hustled for one game and then didn't do anything with that opportunity so that is on a player, not management or the coach  . The canucks  want players to compete for spots , look at a gaudette he battled his way on this team  , he earned that spot  on the team , baer simply didn't earn it  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Don't worry he won't be able too, never has before so can't see it happening now when 30 teams know the situation

Gudbranson trade involved dumping a bad contract & a bad player while at least getting a servicable forward in return (without giving up a pick) which resulted in freeing a small amount of cap space.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

6 games is a fair shot this year? Loser#21 has had 3 years to try and prove himself and he just gets worse and he is still on the Canuck roster for some unknown reason......

This is the NHL, be ready or be ready to go. He got a better shot than Goldy this year... and isnt the kind of player to slot into a bottom 6. And doesnt make the players around him better.

LE can PK at least.. also sends a $&!#ty message to FAs and their agents if we dumped Loui to the minors

I have to laugh at GM JB comments about him being "Surprised" Sven's agent went public with this today...How can you be surprised JB!? You said it yourself you have been looking at moving him for 10 weeks, I beg to differ...I think you have been looking to trade Sven since the off season.

Literally, retain 50% and you would be willing to move him quite quickly imo. To me it is just another situation that GM JB has backed himself into a corner and not been able to resolve the situation. 

Unless we find a team wanting to move out 1 of there bad contracts as a swap. I don't see how we can move Sven unless we add a sweetener otherwise. Should've just kept him up with the Canucks and waived Loser#21 instead....

All the best to Sven and his family, you deserve better imo. Hope you get another chance to play in the NHL and try to prove you can still contribute at some level

• Wat 1

26 minutes ago, mll said:

It would have to be mutual.. like what happened with Marleau

Just now, Davathor said:

This is the NHL, be ready or be ready to go. He got a better shot than Goldy this year... and isnt the kind of player to slot into a bottom 6. And doesnt make the players around him better.

LE can PK at least.. also sends a $&!#ty message to FAs and their agents if we dumped Loui to the minors

LE took 2 penalties in a game that caused 2GA. He doesn't excel in PK or contribute offensively on the PK to justify keeping his 6m sloth skeleton around. Sends a bad message...he got a sweetheart contract and has sucked since he came here and score on his own team in his first game.

People need to get over the FA won't come here. Fact is, you have a good team with solid players and a chance to win and FA would be willing to sign. Or... give you bigger contracts to FOUNDATIONAL players ala Sutter or overpay a 4th C at the tale end of his career in Beagle instead. Or give Myers a long  term deal at a high 6m cap hit when no other team was willing to do that.

Sven, is a proven NHL player who has shown he can play and contribute. Compare that to Goldy, he has the skill but not near the track record. I think the Canucks called both up to say "hey, we gave you a chance 1 or 6 games...can't say we never called you up" Writing for both was on the wall as soon as they got waived...to me anyway

2 minutes ago, Davathor said:

It would have to be mutual.. like what happened with Marleau

Kovalchuk just did that too, but I think his cap hit still counts on LA's salary until his contract runs out? Unfortunately we can't Cristobal Huet his arse to Europe, Chicago did that loop hole then the league fixed it. Probably would happen if Loser#21 had a skin condition like Hossa too...

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

LE took 2 penalties in a game that caused 2GA. He doesn't excel in PK or contribute offensively on the PK to justify keeping his 6m sloth skeleton around. Sends a bad message...he got a sweetheart contract and has sucked since he came here and score on his own team in his first game.

People need to get over the FA won't come here. Fact is, you have a good team with solid players and a chance to win and FA would be willing to sign. Or... give you bigger contracts to FOUNDATIONAL players ala Sutter or overpay a 4th C at the tale end of his career in Beagle instead. Or give Myers a long  term deal at a high 6m cap hit when no other team was willing to do that.

Sven, is a proven NHL player who has shown he can play and contribute. Compare that to Goldy, he has the skill but not near the track record. I think the Canucks called both up to say "hey, we gave you a chance 1 or 6 games...can't say we never called you up" Writing for both was on the wall as soon as they got waived...to me anyway

If he was a proven NHL player he would have got plucked off waivers. I know you like the guy, but he was OK with Bo on a BAD team. Our top 6 needs a higher talent ceiling than that. I dont like LE on this team anymore than you do, but take Loui '4th line things' off the table, Sven doesnt belong on a 3rd or 4th - and like someone else mentioned - he didnt force his way on the team like Gaud did. I will admit I wanted a better look at Goldy than 2 periods, considering how hes playing in the A

And I thought they demoted Kovy and told him he doesnt need to show up to minors so he didnt, lol. No way he walks away from that juicy USD contract.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Marleau didn't terminate his contract..

He was traded to CAR along with a 1st round pick as a salary dump. Then bought out by CAR. 

I stand corrected. Forgot it was a buyout. I cant even think of an example of a mutual contract termination in that case.

• Cheers 1

Blame his agent!! His $3M+ cap hit is keeping teams away and he didn't stand out during those 6 games so that didn't help either!! We are getting much better value out of Leivo so he can just start planning for a stint in Europe if they can work out a release.... unless there's an NHL team that's willing to take a 4th round pick to accept his full salary!

since we can conjure up all sorts of names and scenarios...

What would it take to get Kassian back?  Baer?  (+ what.)..

I would not count on Ferland coming back for a while and they need someone that can play that type of game.  Hard nosed, can hit, wont hurt any line that he is on (plays up and down the lineup)

Kass is playing well on that top line...i doubt the oilers would swap them one for one....