The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Updated-Report] Canucks place Sven Baertschi on Waivers

2 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Kass has a very important role in Edmonton, and he does it very well. 
That ship has sailed for us.  
Too bad tho, I loved Kassian. 

Sadly i must agree.   Just watching him now play with McD and Drai....the way he sees the ice is under rated by some.  He could play on our second line...bump him up on Petey's line once in a while if the game gets ugly....just a pipe dream I know.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Davathor said:

I stand corrected. Forgot it was a buyout. I cant even think of an example of a mutual contract termination in that case.

Berglund and Sabres agreed to a termination earlier this season. He went back to Sweden leaving several million on the table.

Kovalchuk and NJD terminated contract several years ago. Kovy left to Russia right when his big money was about to kick in. He was about to start making 11+ mill per year next for next 4 yrs for 46 mill total. And total 77 million for remainder of his contract. But he wanted to go back to Russia so he walked from all that money. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Darius said:

since we can conjure up all sorts of names and scenarios...

What would it take to get Kassian back?  Baer?  (+ what.)..

I would not count on Ferland coming back for a while and they need someone that can play that type of game.  Hard nosed, can hit, wont hurt any line that he is on (plays up and down the lineup)

Kass is playing well on that top line...i doubt the oilers would swap them one for one....

Kass plays on top line with McDavid and Draisaitl.

He scores plays physical and fights. Keeps the opposing team honest. On a 25+ goal 60 Pts pace. He's not going anywhere. He's too important to the Oilers.

Kass is UFA at end of this season. He'll re sign with Oilers for a hefty pay raise. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Yea he could have gone anywhere for free and no one took him. People on here actually thought he wouldn't clear waivers.

When teams are struggling to meet the cap and submit their opening night roster, its not as easy as fans on this board think, to claim someone off waivers. It generally means making a last minute decision to waive someone else from your lineup.

Once someone has cleaned waivers, it actually becomes easier to make deals. 

• Upvote 1

If he was only signed for this season I think a team would take a flyer on him. It’s that extra year that teams don’t wanna take on.

I think Sven and his agent are gonna have to accept that he’s gonna be in the minors this season and they can try again next year to get a shot. 

There’s always the Europe option too.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

When teams are struggling to meet the cap and submit their opening night roster, its not as easy as fans on this board think, to claim someone off waivers. It generally means making a last minute decision to waive someone else from your lineup.

Once someone has cleaned waivers, it actually becomes easier to make deals. 

Oh yea I get it but I don't think 40 would clear.

25 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Oh yea I get it but I don't think 40 would clear.

Definitely wouldn't, but with Baertschi, I think there are team out there, now dealing with injuries, who would take a chance on him, who wouldn't have on pre season waivers. I've had the feeling for a couple of years, that Baertschi would be the odd man out eventually, due to the style of game that he plays, and that we have others in the system who play a similar game, but cheaper. 

3 hours ago, Lionized27 said:

You're the one inserting Goldobin in Zucker's place, not me.

Lol ok smarty pants, so you would have Goldobin in the bottom 6?

He's a great checker at the nhl level right? Thats why he's in the AHL? To develop his offensive game?

Zucker in the top 6 over Pearson or Leivo ? 

Who do Goldobin and Zucker replace in the lineup?

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Leivo 

Roussel Gaudette Virtanen 

Ferland Beagle Sutter

Motte Eriksson Schaller

Baertschi Goldobin 

Too many forwards on the roster as is, a trade or waivers is upcoming.

Then lets look at Baertschi and goldy have cleared with little interest. Now they don't count as roster spots.

Would Goldy and Baer out perform any of Miller, Pearson, Leivo, Virtanen, Boeser? 

Ferland Roussel Beagle Sutter Motte are much better for bottom 6 then goldy or baer.

Still have 15 forwards on the roster.

Zuckers cap hit is 5+ mill a year for 4 more years.

Small left handed offensive forward?

With injury history?

We have baer already.

Oh and Goldobin too!

Baer + Virtanen for Zucker doesn't work cap wise even waiving Schaller (less then a million in cap savings)

Miller Petey Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Zucker

Roussel Gaudette Leivo

Ferland Beagle Sutter 

Goldy Motte Eriksson 

15 forwards again.

No Zucker and No trading Virtanen.

Sutter Eriksson Schaller Baertschi Goldobin will be should be moved before JV.

Waste virtanen and baer for zucker an overpaid version of Baertschi?

Wicked smart!

24 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Definitely wouldn't, but with Baertschi, I think there are team out there, now dealing with injuries, who would take a chance on him, who wouldn't have on pre season waivers. I've had the feeling for a couple of years, that Baertschi would be the odd man out eventually, due to the style of game that he plays, and that we have others in the system who play a similar game, but cheaper. 

Yea I think he was a stop gap. He filled a hole and we have moved on.

Which teams do you think would be a good fit?

Baertschi, Eriksson, Juolevi, Lind

for  Josh Anderson

All about the cap dump. CBJ has the space.  Anderson has been a ghost.  They get two B+ prospects for taking on the 8 million of cap. They take the cap hit, but Eriksson is mostly paid out, saving them the actual $$. 

We get a 25 year old 6’3” 220 physical RW that is a north south player... a bigger Virtanen... cap play on any line. Perfect fit for the current team culture and of course the cap relief.

• Upvote 1

If anything to make any trade, we wouldn't want to lose him for nothing.   If no team is interested in Baertschi, not much Benning can do about it.    Concussion history scare off teams especially with 3.5 million cap hit.   The only way to see Baertschi is only if top 6 is injured.   Him and Goldobin is competing for a depth spot and Goldy is more likely to be called up before Baertschi due to number of wavier exempted days left, he wasn't on this team for long.  Tbh, teams is not in rush to make a move and only way that he would make a NHL team is when he is UFA and sign with other team.   If no team is bidding for him, then the agent shouldn't be complaining about lack of moves and aim for the UFA.  He has only one year left after this season and he still is making $3.6 million and count the blessings.  

8 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Miller Petey Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Goldobin 

Ferland Gaudette Leivo

Roussel Beagle Sutter

Zucker

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

4 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Lol ok smarty pants, so you would have Goldobin in the bottom 6?

No, smarty pants, I would have Zucker on the second line and Goldobin as the 13th. See above quote.

He's a great checker at the nhl level right? Thats why he's in the AHL? To develop his offensive game?

I'm going to guess you're referring to Goldobin? If so, you're wrong...

Zucker in the top 6 over Pearson or Leivo ? 

With Pearson or Leivo, over Goldobin.

Who do Goldobin and Zucker replace in the lineup?

Zucker replaces Virtanen, Goldobin is in for Schaller.

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Leivo 

Roussel Gaudette Virtanen 

Ferland Beagle Sutter

Motte Eriksson Schaller

Baertschi Goldobin 

Too many forwards on the roster as is, a trade or waivers is upcoming.

Then lets look at Baertschi and goldy have cleared with little interest. Now they don't count as roster spots.

Would Goldy and Baer out perform any of Miller, Pearson, Leivo, Virtanen, Boeser? 

Ferland Roussel Beagle Sutter Motte are much better for bottom 6 then goldy or baer.

Still have 15 forwards on the roster.

Zuckers cap hit is 5+ mill a year for 4 more years.

Small left handed offensive forward?

With injury history?

We have baer already.

Oh and Goldobin too!

Baer + Virtanen for Zucker doesn't work cap wise even waiving Schaller (less then a million in cap savings)

Miller Petey Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Zucker

Roussel Gaudette Leivo

Ferland Beagle Sutter 

Goldy Motte Eriksson 

15 forwards again.

No Zucker and No trading Virtanen.

Sutter Eriksson Schaller Baertschi Goldobin will be should be moved before JV.

Waste virtanen and baer for zucker an overpaid version of Baertschi?

The rest of this wall of text assumes a full, healthy roster for the remainder of the season. There's a distinct possibility Ferland may not return. At all.

Goldobin could always be sent back down if he underperforms and the roster does become crowded.

Wicked smart!

You said it!