The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You do not get something for Nothing (Discussion)

2 minutes ago, 6string said:

So the league ois obligated to making your expansion team a playoff team. Of course the NBA, NFL, MLB and MLS just don't get it.

Who da thunk?

Btw the fees are all economically relative. A price of a ticket in 1970 was like $3.00 and up....

I adjusted for inflation. 

im sorry, but if you’re asking a new team to fork out $500m you need to give them an opportunity to be competitive.  Vegas captures lightening in a bottle.  Seattle doing the same thing is unlikely. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

the trade i’ld like to see....palmu to calgary for zavagorodny.

LOL....I bet you would! The kids running at just under a 2 point a game rate.....

I had to look him up, just to see if he was real......LOL

That is a name and a half...I hope he makes the league just to hear the announcers make that call

Zavammmmmm to Tkachuk, back to Zavammmmmmm, back the point, Zavammmmmmmmmm….scores!

Edited by janisahockeynut

55 minutes ago, 6string said:

So the league ois obligated to making your expansion team a playoff team. Of course the NBA, NFL, MLB and MLS just don't get it.

Who da thunk?

Btw the fees are all economically relative. A price of a ticket in 1970 was like $3.00 and up....

um the nhl appears to be following the MLS expansion model

or were you not paying attention?
MLS expansion teams regularly bolt out of the gate with impressive squads

and i think the nfl (2002) and nba (2002) have not expanded in .. well ..  quite a while

so who knows what they might do if they are paid 1 billion or more by some expansion wannabee

Edited by coastal.view
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

LOL....I bet you would! The kids running at just under a 2 point a game rate.....

I had to look him up, just to see if he was real......LOL

That is a name and a half...I hope he makes the league just to hear the announcers make that call

Zavammmmmm to Tkachuk, back to Zavammmmmmm, back the point, Zavammmmmmmmmm….scores!

at last year world junior tourney, imo zavagorodny was the best russian on the ice. calgary took him in the 7th round. 

• Cheers 1

I don't really think it makes sense to go that big. We have foundational pieces already in the key positions you would target in a massive trade involving giving up our prime assets. Our center depth is looking very good moving forward, Hughes is looking like that number 1 D we've never had. We have Boeser at wing and probably Podz.

The place I'd start is bringing symmetry to this disjointed line-up and clear out the log jam of bodies a bit. If we can get healthy I'd package Sutter and Stecher and see if we can't get a winger from teams like Ottawa (for example) that needs C and D help. Gaudette takes Sutter's spot, Fantenburg/Rafferty compete for 6th D.

I'd be fine to move Madden and Woo and up to a 3rd round pick as well in a package if it gets us a top 6 wing. Trading our top assets should be a non starter.

4 hours ago, coastal.view said:

um the nhl appears to be following the MLS expansion model

or were you not paying attention?
MLS expansion teams regularly bolt out of the gate with impressive squads

and i think the nfl (2002) and nba (2002) have not expanded in .. well ..  quite a while

so who knows what they might do if they are paid 1 billion or more by some expansion wannabee

Okay. Got it.

Big expansion fees include playoff entry     .1545600.jpg.b7650ad6ad4bc70d0cb65252670bc5c8.jpg

Edited by 6string