The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Vancouver-Arizona blockbuster

1 hour ago, BrockBoester said:

I'd appreciate if we could curb the joke comments and keep the thread on track. Derailing is not very polite. Please provide serious discussion about the proposal as I put a lot of thought into it. Thanks in advance,

BrockBoester

Fine.

It's completely ridiculous.

Much like if we offered, Eriksson, Schaller, a conditional 3rd and Boucher for McDavid with 30% retained.

This deal is not only bad it's monumentally bad.  Honestly hall of fame worthy bad.  The fact you put a lot of thought in to it leads to some questions.  this in no way helps the Canucks at all.  This in every way helps the Coyotes.  This is a terrible deal.  Outside the box but still bad.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

I think Arizona should throw in a 7th rounder in 2021 or 2022 to make it balanced but other than that I think both GMs would be crazy not to consider this deal. 

Arizona wins the cup this year and the Canucks win the cup in ‘21 - 2121 that is. Benefits hockey in the desert now and our Great Great grandchildren get to watch the Canucks win it all after they recover - I think this is a classic win now - benefit the future type trade. Should really be a blueprint for all future transactions.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

this in no way helps the Canucks at all.  This in every way helps the Coyotes. 

So getting back Hall, Phil the thrill Kessel, Clayton Keller, and a great defenseman along with a bevy of picks doesn't help the Canucks at all?

Give your head a shake bro. The trade is pretty even and mostly fair for both sides, which you can't say very often.

Maybe you're just upset you didn't think of it first?

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Aladeen said:

I think Arizona should throw in a 7th rounder in 2021 or 2022 to make it balanced but other than that I think both GMs would be crazy not to consider this deal. 

Arizona wins the cup this year and the Canucks win the cup in ‘21 - 2121 that is. Benefits hockey in the desert now and our Great Great grandchildren get to watch the Canucks win it all after they recover - I think this is a classic win now - benefit the future type trade. Should really be a blueprint for all future transactions.

I sense a mild degree of sarcasm but I'm glad that you can see the bright side for both teams in this massive trade.

You might all be flaming me now but what are you gonna say when this trade or something very similar materializes before the trade deadline?

• Wat 1

33 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

I sense a mild degree of sarcasm but I'm glad that you can see the bright side for both teams in this massive trade.

You might all be flaming me now but what are you gonna say when this trade or something very similar materializes before the trade deadline?

I’m certain he doesn’t need to worry about it.  This is hands down one of the most ridiculous proposals I’ve seen here. And that says a lot. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

Since Arizona is seeming to make a push for the playoffs this year, I think we are in a prime leverage position to make them an offer they can't refuse. We would obviously have to make a couple trades/roster moves to accomodate this trade under the salary cap, but I think that both teams benefit fairly from this deal.

To Arizona:

Demko

Pettersson

Edler

Eriksson

Conditional 1st 2020 (if the pick is 1st overall, Vancouver instead gives their 2021 2nd through 7th round picks)

To Vancouver:

Kessel

Hall

Keller

Soderberg or Ekman-Larsson

5th, 6th and 7th round picks in 2020 and 2021

Demko is not a better goalie that Raanta or Kuemper.  Kuemper has been the best goalie in the league this season.  He also has  a history of concussions.

Edler has only one more year to his deal and is slowing down.  OEL is a top pairing D that is still getting better under Housley's coaching.  Those top pairing guys are hard to find and Arizona has him signed long term.  

Eriksson has strong negative value.

Pettersson is obviously a top player but he has not produced as much at 5v5 this season.  How will he do in the playoffs when checking is much tighter.  He still needs to fill out and figure out how to play when teams are marking him that closely.   Hall won the Hart not so long ago and is in his prime.  Arizona wants to win the Cup earlier than later.  He's the guy they need more than Pettersson for a playoff run.  Idem with Kessel who knows how to perform in the post-season.

I don't see how Arizona is interested.  It dismantles their team and Pettersson cannot cover for what they are losing plus they are adding worse pieces than what they had in Demko, Eriksson and Edler.

Edited by mll

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Demko is not a better goalie that Raanta or Kuemper.  Kuemper has been the best goalie in the league this season.  He also has  a history of concussions.

Edler has only one more year to his deal and is slowing down.  OEL is a top pairing D that is still getting better under Housley's coaching.  Those top pairing guys are hard to find and Arizona has him signed long term.  

Eriksson has strong negative value.

Pettersson is obviously a top player but he has not produced as much at 5v5 this season.  How will he do in the playoffs when checking is much tighter.  He still needs to fill out and figure out how to play when teams are marking him that closely.   Hall won the Hart not so long ago and is in his prime.  Arizona wants to win the Cup earlier than later.  He's the guy they need more than Pettersson for a playoff run.  Idem with Kessel who knows how to perform in the post-season.

I don't see how Arizona is interested.  It dismantles their team and Pettersson cannot cover for what they are losing plus they are adding worse pieces than what they had in Demko, Eriksson and Edler.

You're clearly forgetting that Gretzky himself compared Pettersson to the Great One.

I think Arizona would be more than happy with getting dekey Pete in return for this trade.

57 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I’m certain he doesn’t need to worry about it.  This is hands down one of the most ridiculous proposals I’ve seen here. And that says a lot. 

I respectfully disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion. Just don't be surprised when I tell you "I told you so" after the Canucks and Coyotes make this deal.

Edited by BrockBoester

27 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

You're clearly forgetting that Gretzky himself compared Pettersson to the Great One.

I think Arizona would be more than happy with getting dekey Pete in return for this trade.

I respectfully disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion. Just don't be surprised when I tell you "I told you so" after the Canucks and Coyotes make this deal.

That’ll happen shortly after all four original Beatles reunite for a new album and monkeys fly out of my butt.  But sure. You go ahead and say “I told you so” if it happens 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, qwijibo said:

That’ll happen shortly after all four original Beatles reunite for a new album and monkeys fly out of my butt.  But sure. You go ahead and say “I told you so” if it happens 

We'll see. But hopefully you have room for those monkeys to fly out. And hopefully the Beatles don't decide to go K-Pop for their next album!

21 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

I'd appreciate if we could curb the joke comments and keep the thread on track. Derailing is not very polite. Please provide serious discussion about the proposal as I put a lot of thought into it. Thanks in advance,

BrockBoester

Hall is on an expiring contract. Phil is not young anymore. Canucks get weaker at centre. 
I personally don’t like this deal for the Canucks. I thing zona would make this trade without blinking. 

CF7CED33-9952-42A0-9275-F5DAECD48EDE.gif

• Cheers 1

On 12/17/2019 at 11:20 PM, BrockBoester said:

We all have a 75% better chance of you being hit by a car......::D

• Wat 1

On 12/20/2019 at 4:03 PM, kloubek said:

We are rebuilding. We have a cache of highly skilled, young players now to move forward with. That's something we haven't had for a long time.

Why would we move backward? Why would Arizona?

Hard no.

You saying that both teams lose this trade? lol

• Wat 1

On 12/18/2019 at 1:54 AM, BrockBoester said:

Since Arizona is seeming to make a push for the playoffs this year, I think we are in a prime leverage position to make them an offer they can't refuse. We would obviously have to make a couple trades/roster moves to accomodate this trade under the salary cap, but I think that both teams benefit fairly from this deal.

To Arizona:

Demko

Pettersson

Edler

Eriksson

Conditional 1st 2020 (if the pick is 1st overall, Vancouver instead gives their 2021 2nd through 7th round picks)

To Vancouver:

Kessel

Hall

Keller

Why Arizona benefits from this deal:

Arizona is leading the Pacific division, and they would be in great shape to maintain that lead with the addition of a great player at each position. Pettersson would immediately slot into their top 6, Demko could probably lock down a starting role soon upon his arrival in the desert, Edler is a veteran presence on the back-end, and we sweeten the deal by throwing in a very tempting 1st round pick. Plus, Eriksson could fit in well in the top 6 with Pettersson if Loui manages to get back on his game and return to form.

Why Vancouver benefits from this deal:

We add two very skilled and young top 6 forwards in Hall and Kessel (bonus benefit: hot dog sales go up 200% at the arena) - both of which are proven playoff performers and have 2 Stanley cups between them. We acquire a premium young player in Keller that is somewhat comparable to the skill we are losing in moving Pettersson, and a great defenseman to replace Edler in either Soderberg or Ekman-Larsson. Also, we move out Eriksson's contract which clears up some cap space to sign Hall to an extension, and we pick up a boatload of low draft picks (let's remember, Zetterberg was drafted in the 7th round). And, by moving Demko, we can stop talking about which goalie we have to protect in the Seattle expansion draft.

This is a clear win-win for both teams, and for the league and the fans themselves. There aren't many blockbuster deals made like this anymore, and it would definitely get some buzz going for both teams going into their playoff races.

Can you imagine if Arizona and Vancouver met in the first or second round of the playoffs? All of the traded players would have a huge chip on their shoulder, looking to defeat their former team and prove to them that they shouldn't have been traded. It could be the beginning of the next big Western Conference rivalry, like Detroit/Colorado or Calgary/Edmonton.

Thoughts?

Stop posting such bullsh**

• Wat 1

I honestly can't tell if the OP is joking or not.  He often does makes funny jokes - but this ones not funny.  Kudos on a proposal that dumps LE.   But I'd take him out of this deal if this was the price.   No thanks to Hall, even if re-signs our team will regret the cap hit.   Keller and OEL are the key pieces in the deal - trading EP and Demko straight across has some merit because we don't have a defenseman like him.  But he's no spring chicken anymore and doesn't match the cores age well.   Keller would be a welcome addition for sure - a playmaking winger ...

Stil wouldn't do it.   EPs on his second year and already in the top ten as far as centres go league wide...incredible - that is equally as important as a top pairing D unless he's a Norris type.   

Why would we do this in a million years?   Plus if ARI is in a win now mode why the heck would they do it?  Halls a rental (for now)...and he's igniting OEL already (who's had a slow start).

This is definitely a blockbuster.  But it's also a head scratcher - ARI is five years ahead of us, they already traded guys from their last "core" in Faulk and things are finally going well for them.   They need to tweak not blow it up.

For us well if we trade away our number one future super-star center - we need an equal player back - OR picks and prospects galore added.   Like straight across for Keller add two firsts, two seconds and a pick of any one prospect.   Trading EP straight across for Keller and OEL might do it.   Even then I'm not sure it's a good move for us long term.     

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

I honestly can't tell if the OP is joking or not.  He often does makes funny jokes - but this ones not funny.  Kudos on a proposal that dumps LE.   But I'd take him out of this deal if this was the price.   No thanks to Hall, even if re-signs our team will regret the cap hit.   Keller and OEL are the key pieces in the deal - trading EP and Demko straight across has some merit because we don't have a defenseman like him.  But he's no spring chicken anymore and doesn't match the cores age well.   Keller would be a welcome addition for sure - a playmaking winger ...

Stil wouldn't do it.   EPs on his second year and already in the top ten as far as centres go league wide...incredible - that is equally as important as a top pairing D unless he's a Norris type.   

Why would we do this in a million years?   Plus if ARI is in a win now mode why the heck would they do it?  Halls a rental (for now)...and he's igniting OEL already (who's had a slow start).

This is definitely a blockbuster.  But it's also a head scratcher - ARI is five years ahead of us, they already traded guys from their last "core" in Faulk and things are finally going well for them.   They need to tweak not blow it up.

For us well if we trade away our number one future super-star center - we need an equal player back - OR picks and prospects galore added.   Like straight across for Keller add two firsts, two seconds and a pick of any one prospect.   Trading EP straight across for Keller and OEL might do it.   Even then I'm not sure it's a good move for us long term.     

Good analysis and thanks for not trolling like scheif16 and others. Definitely a lot of good points to consider in your post!

On 12/17/2019 at 4:54 PM, BrockBoester said:

To Arizona:

Demko

Pettersson

Edler

Eriksson

To Vancouver:

Kessel

Hall

Keller

Why Arizona benefits from this deal:

Arizona is leading the Pacific division, and they would be in great shape to maintain that lead with the addition of a great player at each position. Pettersson would immediately slot into their top 6, Demko could probably lock down a starting role soon upon his arrival in the desert, Edler is a veteran presence on the back-end, and we sweeten the deal by throwing in a very tempting 1st round pick. Plus, Eriksson could fit in well in the top 6 with Pettersson if Loui manages to get back on his game and return to form.

Why Vancouver benefits from this deal:

We add two very skilled and young top 6 forwards in Hall and Kessel (bonus benefit: hot dog sales go up 200% at the arena) - both of which are proven playoff performers and have 2 Stanley cups between them. We acquire a premium young player in Keller that is somewhat comparable to the skill we are losing in moving Pettersson, and a great defenseman to replace Edler in either Soderberg or Ekman-Larsson. Also, we move out Eriksson's contract which clears up some cap space to sign Hall to an extension, and we pick up a boatload of low draft picks (let's remember, Zetterberg was drafted in the 7th round). And, by moving Demko, we can stop talking about which goalie we have to protect in the Seattle expansion draft.

This is a clear win-win for both teams, and for the league and the fans themselves. There aren't many blockbuster deals made like this anymore, and it would definitely get some buzz going for both teams going into their playoff races.

Can you imagine if Arizona and Vancouver met in the first or second round of the playoffs? All of the traded players would have a huge chip on their shoulder, looking to defeat their former team and prove to them that they shouldn't have been traded. It could be the beginning of the next big Western Conference rivalry, like Detroit/Colorado or Calgary/Edmonton.

Thoughts?

Pathetic.  You want to trade our elite young players for old used up ones. Brilliant idea!!   :picard:

I would not have responded at all but another poster quoted this.

PS:  now go do your thing you do with the "confused" face for this post.  :lol:

• Haha 1