The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Montreal Canadiens at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 17, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

46 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Missed this game, the family wanted to watch home alone.. and home alone 2. The GDT was a real bummer the couple times I checked in. Anyone got a game recap? In what ways did this team disappoint us tonight?

I didn't watch, but sounds like they only played one period... AGAIN

30 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Found on reddit.

Dump & Chase successful attempts/total attempts for tonight.

Canucks: 16/43

Habs: 5/16

I’m sorry, but this is ridiculous.

So we were slightly more successful than the Habs ..... woohoo.  (Take solace from small victories)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

JB gave Green the type of players he wanted in the summer. 

I think the one truth about this team is that it is pretty decent on paper. What's happening on the ice is something much less clear. 

Edited by Jack Fig
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, canuck2288 said:

I screamed for Gallant 

posted over and over for us to get him 

now I am screaming for DeBoer 

listen to me this time JB !!! 

The problem is Gallant had to have wanted to come here. Especially in the early stages of a rebuild. 

Everyone knew Vegas was going to be a decent team off the bat. That was a much better fit and much more attractive destination for Gallant. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Do you actually believe that a new coach will all of a sudden make our passes crisper and our shots harder?  

We are in a tough slump here and yes, nothing is working well when you are losing.  Yes, blame the coaches, but overreacting and yelling that coaches should be fired is the equivalent to asking for Brock Boeser or Bo Horvat to be traded because they're in the midst of a tough 20 game stretch.  

Are you blind? There's no puck support, ever. The forwards play high which leaves the D in our zone alone. Their only option is to  make a stretch pass up to the  forwards which usually doesn't work because it gets picked off. If it does connect it's quickly turned over because that forward is virtually standing still waiting to take the pass and the opposing D has a step on him. Its glaringly obvious that this is our system and this is our major problem. We've been playing the exact same system every game for the past 2 seasons. It doesn't work.  The forwards need to break out as a unit, gathering speed, and providing puck support/ passing options.  Its much harder to  defend someone in full flight, especially when they have passing options.  Our guys aren't old and slow but they look like it out there simply because of the system being played. 

Edited by CptCanuck16

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

The problem is Gallant had to have wanted to come here. Especially in the early stages of a rebuild. 

Everyone knew Vegas was going to be a decent team off the bat. That was a much better fit and much more attractive destination for Gallant. 

That’s why we go after DeBoer now

offers will come in for him in the off season and we need a change now anyway plus he said he would coach this year 

it all fits 

39 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I remember Burke said a GM only gets two coaches before he’s gone himself.

Not true.  Benning did not hire Willie, it was Trevor Linden himself.   So therefore, he get another chance for a new coach of his choice.   His drafting has been stellar and it should count for something.  It is the coaching system that is awful and they are just too stubborn and when they finally break their will, it is when it's too late, they are fired.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Look around the leauge... the sucessful teams are the ones implementing styles that let them dominate puck posession and have a strong defensive game.  

The problem isn't the dump and chase, it's the fact that they can't break up a cycle in their own zone to save their life.  

How many times did we see the Sharks and the Knights spend a 7 day vacation in the Canucks' zone in the last week?  A lot, Mr. 1-D, a lot.  

And dumpi... handing the puck over to the other team is usually the beginning of the endless "hemmed in our own zone" time. The reason we can't break up a cycle is, as I said, Green wants them to play zone defence instead of pressuring the puck carrier and cutting off the passing lanes.

Currently there's no easier team to play against than Canucks, whose skaters are always standing around watching the puck on D and willingly giving up the puck at the blueline on O.

Edited by 1-d
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

The game is changing. We have stud young players. Why so much dump and chase???

Its not the 90s.

I'm now also getting fed up with this staff. And jB has done an awesome job lately with trades and drafting but there is so much dead cap on this team.

Frustrating.

And the Sedins have retired.