The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Montreal Canadiens at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 17, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

The Blues had one of the deepest and best defenses in the league, the best two way player in the world, a game breaker and a murderers row of excellent second line players running three lines deep.   And a mostly veteran core.  The Canucks don't have that.   Not even close.  Changing the coach might give us a bump - or it could backfire.   I suppose it really comes down to who they pick.  Berube obviously was the right guy for the job for them.   They were never supposed to be a non playoff team in the first place, our roster however was considered one spot out of the playoffs from the start by most experts - only a couple had us penciled in as a wild card - in other words a bubble team.  Seems we are following the script after all.

Good point and perhaps, they can learn something from the Blues experience despite the roster discrepancy.   I dont think this is the time to be impulsive.  Just my two cents...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Then like I said, you're going to be disappointed. Boeser has been streaky his first 3 years, same with Miller if you go look at his previous seasons. If EP slows down this season as much as he did last Feb./Mar. then this team probably has no chance anyways.

Since 1 November EP is a 0.74 ppg after starting 1.50 in October.   He is 0.50 in December so far. 

Not going to lie, I woke up this morning really hoping to see news on greens departure. Thats about where Im at with the direction of where the teams going and its failed systems. At the end of the day, hockey partially in the entertainment business. If you’re not going to win, the play style has to be entertaining. Chip and chase is exactly the opposite. I don’t get excited anymore when we get a powerplay. Its depressing, how are $100+ tickets to a game justifiable anymore. Its not sustainable.

41 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Then like I said, you're going to be disappointed. Boeser has been streaky his first 3 years, same with Miller if you go look at his previous seasons. If EP slows down this season as much as he did last Feb./Mar. then this team probably has no chance anyways.

sure they are streaky producer.. but are they streaky because of luck?? they obviously have the skill to be successful.. u don't just randomly go on multiple point streak years in years out. they have the tools and hell even the top line is doing a lot of dump and chase now... and way too many passing.. they ain't the sedins

35 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

sure they are streaky producer.. but are they streaky because of luck?? they obviously have the skill to be successful.. u don't just randomly go on multiple point streak years in years out. they have the tools and hell even the top line is doing a lot of dump and chase now... and way too many passing.. they ain't the sedins

No they are streaky because the opponents are different each game and some teams give up more goals than others. They do have the skill and being a ppg player in the NHL is successful. Boeser has a hat trick against LA and a 3A game against Det. this season because those teams are poor defensively, you can't expect him to put up the same #'s against defensive teams like Ari. NYI, Dal. etc. Its the ebb and flow of the game, EP, Miller and Boeser are not the 100+pt guys in this league so streaky is what you're going to have to accept.

Edited by GritGrinder

After slogging through all 23 pages of this thread, I'm reminded why I rarely visit CT after a loss......the predictable "Fire the coach / GM!", "poor effort", etc., etc.....

While I wouldn't really care if Green was let go, (teams seem to enjoy a period of success after a coaching change) I don't see it as an answer to anything really. I remember quite well, a ton of similar threads about AV in the years leading up to the 2011 Cup run. Sometimes staying the course is rewarded....

That being said, all coaches have their "whipping boys" and Green's appears to be Virtanen. Hopefully, he eventually gets over it, because Virt is the teams best skater and plays a physical game. Not a common combination.

A couple of things I disagree with however, are the idea that "dump and chase" is a strategy dictated by the coaching staff. That just isn't the way it works. Teams employ the dump and chase when they don't feel they can enter the opposing zone and safely maintain possession. Teams that attempt to do so under thos circumstances, invariably give up a lot of odd-man rushes the other way.....

We can certainly argue that the lack of possession in the opposing zone is symptomatic of a larger issue, but it's a mistake to claim that dumping the puck in is used as a "strategy".

Second, the special teams are currently in a funk, but the PP is still 4th in the league, while the PK is middle of the pack and missing it's top defenseman. Premature to crucify Brown at this point, IMHO.

One piece of advice I would give the coaching staff: Work on breakaways. My old Junior coach used to set aside the last 15 minutes of practice for a "Showdown in the NHL" type of competition. (Everyone takes penalty shots, with those that score shooting again, until a "champion" is decided) I can't count how many breakaways the 'Nucks have failed to score on in the course of this current slump, but it's a lot and even a bit more success may have resulted in a few extra points in the standings.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

After slogging through all 23 pages of this thread, I'm reminded why I rarely visit CT after a loss......the predictable "Fire the coach / GM!", "poor effort", etc., etc.....

While I wouldn't really care if Green was let go, (teams seem to enjoy a period of success after a coaching change) I don't see it as an answer to anything really. I remember quite well, a ton of similar threads about AV in the years leading up to the 2011 Cup run. Sometimes staying the course is rewarded....

That being said, all coaches have their "whipping boys" and Green's appears to be Virtanen. Hopefully, he eventually gets over it, because Virt is the teams best skater and plays a physical game. Not a common combination.

A couple of things I disagree with however, are the idea that "dump and chase" is a strategy dictated by the coaching staff. That just isn't the way it works. Teams employ the dump and chase when they don't feel they can enter the opposing zone and safely maintain possession. Teams that attempt to do so under thos circumstances, invariably give up a lot of odd-man rushes the other way.....

We can certainly argue that the lack of possession in the opposing zone is symptomatic of a larger issue, but it's a mistake to claim that dumping the puck in is used as a "strategy".

Second, the special teams are currently in a funk, but the PP is still 4th in the league, while the PK is middle of the pack and missing it's top defenseman. Premature to crucify Brown at this point, IMHO.

One piece of advice I would give the coaching staff: Work on breakaways. My old Junior coach used to set aside the last 15 minutes of practice for a "Showdown in the NHL" type of competition. (Everyone takes penalty shots, with those that score shooting again, until a "champion" is decided) I can't count how many breakaways the 'Nucks have failed to score on in the course of this current slump, but it's a lot and even a bit more success may have resulted in a few extra points in the standings.

Benning this summer:  "The way (coach) Travis (Green) wants to play, he wants to play fast and he wants to get pucks behind the other team’s defencemen and get in on the forecheck, recover pucks and get to the net."

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Benning this summer:  "The way (coach) Travis (Green) wants to play, he wants to play fast and he wants to get pucks behind the other team’s defencemen and get in on the forecheck, recover pucks and get to the net."

So?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, mll said:

It's quicker and safer to dump the puck in than to carry it in.  It's a strategy.  

It's a strategy...under certain conditions. That doesn't mean it the strategy....

No coach wants his players to give up possession of the puck, unless they're in imminent danger of turning it over and giving possession to the opposition.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The blender is out again......Awesome

actually this is the best scoring F version of the lineup we've had this year. Back to having a real 1st line, a puck moving 3rd line, a checking line, and well... Bo + 3rd liners but Bo can carry a line. 

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's a strategy...under certain conditions. That doesn't mean it the strategy....

No coach wants his players to give up possession of the puck, unless they're in imminent danger of turning it over and giving possession to the opposition.

Some coaches use it as strategy though. Bergevin had that presser where he defended dump and chase - it was under Therrien a few years ago.  He talked of how their Fs had the speed to be 1st to the puck and how someone skating the puck will never be as fast as dumping the puck.  

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The blender is out again......Awesome

Again, this brings to mind back when AV was coach....

Half of the people complaining were upset about the coach "not giving the lines enough time to develop chemistry!"...while the other half were up in arms about "trying the same thing over and over!".....

Then all of them would say "Everyone agrees that AV is a screw-up, when it comes to line combos".

As someone who's played over 1000 games, I can tell you that "chemistry" is a difficult thing to quantify. Generally, a good player can make anything work, if he's playing well at the time....no matter who he's playing with.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Some coaches use it as strategy though. Bergevin had that presser where he defended dump and chase - it was under Therrien a few years ago.  He talked of how their Fs had the speed to be 1st to the puck and how someone skating the puck will never be as fast as dumping the puck.  

Again, a strategy. The complainers were making the case that it's the strategy.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, mll said:

It's quicker and safer to dump the puck in than to carry it in.  It's a strategy.  

Dumping the puck in constantly instead of carrying it in the zone is a sign that players lack confidence and/or structure. I find it hard to believe they are coached to dump the puck in and just take their chances. Possession is crucial in today's game. The only player who seems to actually want to carry the puck right now is Hughes and maybe a couple others. Everyone else passes it away like its a hot potato, even when the player with the puck is in a good scoring position.

Dump and chase can work if used sparingly throughout the game, and only if our players have the grit, speed, and determination necessary to retrieve those pucks before the defending team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2