The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Montreal Canadiens at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 17, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

actually this is the best scoring F version of the lineup we've had this year. Back to having a real 1st line, a puck moving 3rd line, a checking line, and well... Bo + 3rd liners but Bo can carry a line. 

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Again, this brings to mind back when AV was coach....

Half of the people complaining were upset about the coach "not giving the lines enough time to develop chemistry!"...while the other half were up in arms about "trying the same thing over and over!".....

Then all of them would say "Everyone agrees that AV is a screw-up, when it comes to line combos".

As someone who's played over 1000 games, I can tell you that "chemistry" is a difficult thing to quantify. Generally, a good player can make anything work, if he's playing well at the time....no matter who he's playing with.

Okay, so if this line up ends up with a solid win, should Green leave the lines intact?

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Canucks record after 35 games:

2017-18: 15-16-4
2018-19: 15-16-4
2019-20: 16-15-4

2016-17: 14-18-3

2015-16: 12-14-9

2014-15: 21-11-3

Between 31-36pts at this point every year for 5 years straight. Thats the most consistent Canuck related stat I've seen in a while. Oh to be coached by a rookie WD again, 21-11-3 would have them 1st in the Pacific, 2nd in the conference just behind StL. right now.

• Wat 1

26 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Okay, so if this line up ends up with a solid win, should Green leave the lines intact?

I'd certainly leave that the way it is. Put Ferkie back with Bo once he's healthy maybe. 

I've never subscribed to the "spread it out" offence plan. That first line has shown it can dominate and Petey's creativity comes out in waves. You get the best out of Boeser too, he looks lost with Bo. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

For a while at least. Sometimes players get into a rut and a change will bring them out of it. That being said, players who displayed chemistry in the past (Like Petey, Bo and Miller) will generally regain it at some point.

In a nutshell, you go with what's working until it isn't.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, TheLastBaron said:

Dumping the puck in constantly instead of carrying it in the zone is a sign that players lack confidence and/or structure. I find it hard to believe they are coached to dump the puck in and just take their chances. Possession is crucial in today's game. The only player who seems to actually want to carry the puck right now is Hughes and maybe a couple others. Everyone else passes it away like its a hot potato, even when the player with the puck is in a good scoring position.

Dump and chase can work if used sparingly throughout the game, and only if our players have the grit, speed, and determination necessary to retrieve those pucks before the defending team.

You have to  be a team that is fast and heaby on the forecheck,  that wins most of the puck battles to play dump and chase effectively.  That does not describe the canucks.

• Upvote 1

Do they still have a shot at the playoffs..? Realistically what sort of record would they need to have the rest of the way to get in..?

Dallas is on pace for 98pts and is in the first wildcard and Calgary is on pace for 91pts in the 2nd wildcard so lets settle in the middle at 95pts needed by the Canucks (just for the sake of argument) to make the playoffs.

47 games remaining 59pts needed.

29-17-1

28-16-3

27-15-5

26-14-7

25-13-9

These are pretty much what the Canucks have to do...choose one.

Just now, GritGrinder said:

Do they still have a shot at the playoffs..? Realistically what sort of record would they need to have the rest of the way to get in..?

Dallas is on pace for 98pts and is in the first wildcard and Calgary is on pace for 91pts in the 2nd wildcard so lets settle in the middle at 95pts needed by the Canucks (just for the sake of argument) to make the playoffs.

47 games remaining 59pts needed.

29-17-1

28-16-3

27-15-5

26-14-7

25-13-9

These are pretty much what the Canucks have to do...choose one.

25-13-9 is certainly doable for this roster. 

• Cheers 3

55 minutes ago, TheLastBaron said:

Dumping the puck in constantly instead of carrying it in the zone is a sign that players lack confidence and/or structure. I find it hard to believe they are coached to dump the puck in and just take their chances. Possession is crucial in today's game. The only player who seems to actually want to carry the puck right now is Hughes and maybe a couple others. Everyone else passes it away like its a hot potato, even when the player with the puck is in a good scoring position.

Dump and chase can work if used sparingly throughout the game, and only if our players have the grit, speed, and determination necessary to retrieve those pucks before the defending team.

Boeser talked about how Miller convinced them about the benefits of playing dump and chase.  

https://www.nhl.com/news/jt-miller-providing-leadership-for-vancouver-canucks/c-310401816

"Me and [Pettersson] sometimes want to make plays when we should get it deep, and that's what we're kind of learning from him," Boeser said. "Sometimes, we don't need to force those plays and (should) just get the puck deep, because we'll get it back if we get on the forecheck.

"So that's something that he's really talked to us about, because if you don't turn the puck over, you're going to be in the offensive zone. We won't spend as much time in the [defensive] zone. 

"Even if we're not scoring, I think we're creating chances. I think we haven't spent that much time in the [defensive] zone probably the longest stretch in our careers so far. We've been barely in our [defensive] zone and getting pucks deep and going to work."

Edited by mll

11 hours ago, canuktravella said:

greens love affair with plumber leivo is like chabot and willie gtfo they are 4th line grunts give jaker some pp good pp times hes 2 or 3rd in 5on5 scoring and these other guys just gifted pp time its bs  fire the whole coaching staff and  make some trades jim - sutter tanev leivo pearson  stecher benn   opens up 19 mill can all be gone for all i care and waive eriksson let him rot in minors  we need tryamkin and rathbone signed in march  cut the fat and get some cap space and draft picks   even if u have to retain on sutter the guys  always injured   sell him asap

I wish you had some say somewhere.  Too many pluggers on this team  Tanev and Stecher (and now Benn) -- all skate as far as they can with it, then give up and shoot at the goalie with no screen, no chance of deflection, even less chance of scoring outright.  Team needs an identity, and I think you have hit upon an option: think puck control and creativity. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

25-13-9 is certainly doable for this roster. 

Well there ya go...you can start counting down the regulation losses from 13, if it dips below double digits and the calendar still says January the season is probably a write off.

Edited by GritGrinder

24 minutes ago, mll said:

Boeser talked about how Miller convinced them about the benefits of playing dump and chase.  

https://www.nhl.com/news/jt-miller-providing-leadership-for-vancouver-canucks/c-310401816

"Me and [Pettersson] sometimes want to make plays when we should get it deep, and that's what we're kind of learning from him," Boeser said. "Sometimes, we don't need to force those plays and (should) just get the puck deep, because we'll get it back if we get on the forecheck.

"So that's something that he's really talked to us about, because if you don't turn the puck over, you're going to be in the offensive zone. We won't spend as much time in the [defensive] zone. 

"Even if we're not scoring, I think we're creating chances. I think we haven't spent that much time in the [defensive] zone probably the longest stretch in our careers so far. We've been barely in our [defensive] zone and getting pucks deep and going to work."

To be fair, this article is from late October when the Canucks were playing much better (albeit against worse teams). We have to adapt as the season moves on or other teams will quickly catch on to our strategy and shut us down. And like I mentioned before dump and chase can be effective but not if our team keeps playing this lethargically.

Edited by TheLastBaron

31 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Well there ya go...you can start counting down the regulation losses from 13, if it dips below double digits and the calendar still says January the season is probably a write off.

maybe a couple more losses than that depending on how we do in our division, but yeah somewhere in there. 

47 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Thank goodness the short-sighted reactionaries aren't running this team.

#crazytown

#thatswhatlosersdo

Not if the team he wanted is regressing and continues  to falter.  If this is the team green wanted, it should  be improving and moving in a positive direction, not back-sliding at warp speed.