The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reasons for Canuck Slide

Rate this topic

JamesB

Reasons for poor performance  

156 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

drop passes to nowhere/no one. Way too many individual efforts. chip, chase, rinse, repeat. No net presence. no line chemistry. 

how is that not coaching? 

It is coaching, and I think Green has lost the room completely. I see him being replaced after Christmas, and Benning replaced after the season ends, if the Canucks miss the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Pickly said:

If the wheels completely come off this season I can’t see Benning making it through the summer. The Canucks have loads of young talent thanks to his drafting but ultimately are cash strapped due to questionable contracts (inexcusable for a ‘rebuilding’ team) and only have one sure-fire young defenceman after 5 years of him being here. 

Yeah, he'll be gone if the team doesn't make the post-season this coming spring.

Edited by PhillipBlunt

I think the players are struggling. Horvat, Boeser, Myers - these guys need to put points on the board. I know Bo is the captain as well, but usually I notice the captain (Bergeron, Toews, etc), because they score clutch goals, lift the team up and carry them across the finish line. I barely notice Horvat some games. Maybe the captain needs to rally his team. I'm sure Green and his coaching staff are partly to blame as well. I don't blame Benning at all. He brought in good players.  

Just now, Pickly said:

If the wheels completely come off this season I can’t see Benning making it through the summer. The Canucks have loads of young talent thanks to his drafting but ultimately are cash strapped due to questionable contracts (inexcusable for a ‘rebuilding’ team) and only have one sure-fire young defenceman after 5 years of him being here. 

I’ve been one of the few very vocal JB “haters” aka honest posters on here over the past several years, but I’ve relaxed my stance and posts to improve reader experience, my time management and my fan experience :P.

I’m trying not to get sucked back into reality and actually discuss team management anymore. It’s political suicide in here, for one.

Shout out to to our friend, The Guardian.

We run people off here if they don’t clap for the team management as a preoccupation.

Those minus-magnets, myself included, are largely gone, but must be preparing to gloat a little, despite the obvious suffering they will also be experiencing as a true blood Canucks fan.  

#Firebenning

Oh really, now.

Now?

Haha, the herd here cracks me up. 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

It is coaching, and I think Green has lost the room completely. I see him being replaced after Christmas, and Benning replaced after the season ends, if the Canucks miss the playoffs.

yeah it could be. If we drop the next 3, which seems likely,I can see that but the problem is I think we'll be in too big a hole to catch up even with a change. But maybe not... so much depends on the impact of the change and I do think there's enough raw talent to maybe make it competitive.

But Green is going to get Hughes an injury if he keeps this up, the kids great but he's playing too many minutes for a rookie. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah it could be. If we drop the next 3, which seems likely,I can see that but the problem is I think we'll be in too big a hole to catch up even with a change.

The inconsistent way the team has been playing doesn't bode well for them. One period they come out hitting everything that moves, the next period, they're watching the puck and some of their promising young players get bulldozed. This team supposedly has an identity, but I'm at a loss as to what it is.

But maybe not... so much depends on the impact of the change and I do think there's enough raw talent to maybe make it competitive.

Same here. Yet the team comes out flat far too often, chasing the play.

But Green is going to get Hughes an injury if he keeps this up, the kids great but he's playing too many minutes for a rookie. 

Totally. Baumgartner is not an NHL caliber assistant coach and it shows. Why he and Brown were given extensions is beyond me.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The inconsistent way the team has been playing doesn't bode well for them. One period they come out hitting everything that moves, the next period, they're watching the puck and some of their promising young players get bulldozed. This team supposedly has an identity, but I'm at a loss as to what it is.

Same here. Yet the team comes out flat far too often, chasing the play.

Totally. Baumgartner is not an NHL caliber assistant coach and it shows. Why he and Brown were given extensions is beyond me.

pre-severance package? dunno. I can't stand drop-pass Brown and Baumer while a good guy doesn't seem to know what he's doing. If it weren't for Edlers experience and Hughes raw talent he'd have nothing. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

4. I am not sure that Green is the problem, but he is my best guess. And the season is slipping away. I would make a coaching change now and try to salvage the season. At least a new coach would give the team a chance for a fresh start. And if that does not work, I would say Benning should go. 

What constitutes "does not work"..? So if Green is fired today and DeBoer is hired for example and the Canucks do OK but still finish in say 11th in the West 9pts out of the playoffs you would fire JB? So then a new GM comes in and maybe doesn't want DeBoer and brings in yet another coaching staff? *Cue the Benny Hill theme music*

Edited by GritGrinder
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

pre-severance package?

They have to stop doing favors to lackluster staff. Did Malholtra get an extension? He's turned the team into a faceoff machine for the most part, which has contributed to the earlier success.

dunno. I can't stand drop-pass Brown and Baumer while a good guy doesn't seem to know what he's doing.

Agreed. 100%

If it weren't for Edlers experience and Hughes raw talent he'd have nothing. 

One would think that a coach would utilize Myers and Benn better than they've been.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

They have to stop doing favors to lackluster staff. Did Malholtra get an extension? He's turned the team into a faceoff machine for the most part, which has contributed to the earlier success.

Agreed. 100%

One would think that a coach would utilize Myers and Benn better than they've been.

Coaching changes aren't hard to make, as we've seen around the league. Only 31 jobs available so there is always and experienced guy to go to. 

I don't know who Aquilini takes advice from, but I can't imagine he wants the 50th season to go this way with a whimper. At least trying a coaching change gives you all the options, and if it still tanks then so be it, it is what it is. 

This isn't a cup contender yet, but they are better than this. 

2 hours ago, Pickly said:

Really? Cause other than Tyler Motte, I haven’t seen a Canuck player throw a hit for a few games now. Right now, I can’t tell the difference between a Travis Green coached team and a Willie D coached team. 

This.  We still play soft.  There is no heavy forecheck to match the desired dump and chase.  Flyby after flyby.

schaller

virtanen

beagle

all underwhelming in physicality.  Imo Jake has played well this year despite Green.  Last night was disrespectful to JV.  That being said he is built to hit and has the speed but never does it.  The only time we see Jake playing heavy is with the odd reverse hit in self defence.  This kid should have at least one memorable check per game.

tbh I’m shocked how bad this team is looking and how inconsistent the effort is with so much potential, so much offered in the way of “the future is bright message” all summer and early this season.

this team looks totally lost outside of QH, Miller, and Markstrom.

no way the coach makes it to next year, and despite JB’s drafting and the Miller trade I could see him getting the axe too.  I don’t think he should be fired but if he lets Green go it’s possible he’ll be  after the year is over as well.

if the team isn’t .500 over the rest of this pre Christmas home stand I think Green has to go Jan 1.  No way Aqua is happy with leafs and habs fans partying in his barn.  Absolutely embarrassing and inexcusable.

27 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

In order for green to of lost the room he had to have the room first.

when has green ever had a winning record?

never

Coaching changes aren't hard to make, as we've seen around the league. Only 31 jobs available so there is always and experienced guy to go to. 

For sure. I think the Canucks need an experienced coach versus another one promoted from the minors.

I don't know who Aquilini takes advice from, but I can't imagine he wants the 50th season to go this way with a whimper.

Not at all. The team is not difficult to play against most nights, and far too often shows little to no pushback. That's not something I can enjoy as a fan. It's hard to watch.

At least trying a coaching change gives you all the options, and if it still tanks then so be it, it is what it is. 

It shows the fanbase that they realize that things aren't working. I think this homestand will be the litmus test for how things play out. If Green can get this team to grow a set consistently, play with some passion, and fight for every inch on the ice, his job might be safe. If they put the same limp effort in that they have been, he's gone after the holidays.

Those who still want to be a part of the team should be galvanized by it, and fight for the future.

This isn't a cup contender yet, but they are better than this. 

Way better than this.

23 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’ve been one of the few very vocal JB “haters” aka honest posters on here over the past several years, but I’ve relaxed my stance and posts to improve reader experience, my time management and my fan experience :P.

I’m trying not to get sucked back into reality and actually discuss team management anymore. It’s political suicide in here, for one.

Shout out to to our friend, The Guardian.

We run people off here if they don’t clap for the team management as a preoccupation.

Those minus-magnets, myself included, are largely gone, but must be preparing to gloat a little, despite the obvious suffering they will also be experiencing as a true blood Canucks fan.  

#Firebenning

Oh really, now.

Now?

Haha, the herd here cracks me up. 

Quit putting yourself on a pedestal, you sound like an imbecile..

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Portland Winterhawks? Didn't they make the playoffs in the AHL?

I’m talking about the room he has now.

in the NHl that was my whole point in what I said it was only one line long it said “he had to of had the room first”

why would I care what he did in another room when it’s not the room we’re talking about that he supposedly “lost.” It’s not even the same league 

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever