The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reasons for Canuck Slide

Rate this topic

JamesB

Reasons for poor performance  

156 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

I’m talking about the room he has now.

in the NHl that’s was my point in what I said it was only one line long it said he had to of had the room first

why would I care what he did in another room when it’s not the room we’re talking about that he supposedly “lost.”

Whoosh

I see the Panicky Pollyanna's are out in force after the loss last night. I see even you have been bitten and infected @PhillipBlunt :P

IMO the 'problem' is 90% that our core is quite young. They've struggled with consistency, execution and defensive play...almost as you'd expect a young core to do...:rolleyes:

The other 10%...sure if you want to nit pick about a coaching decision here and there, that would fall in there. Or missing guys like Edler or the chunk we played without Beagle/Sutter (and others) and not probably having them at 100% even now.

But yup, mostly that we're relying on a pretty young, inexperienced core of players to lead the way IMO. Gotta take the highs with the lows in that scenario.

And I'm with Friedman's quote in regards to people's thoughts on firing Green (or Benning for that matter) based on less than half of one season where he has something even resembling a half decent team to work with. That's a loser franchise move. Good franchises don't make panicky, reactionary moves.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

At the 35 game mark, we have nearly identical stats as last season.

We have one more win I think, a few more goals for and a few less against. 

I took a screenshot last season a few times. Was looking them over... 

DD7396E2-25DB-4045-ABFD-56FEEBF98273.thumb.png.a7a7bef071c66abf0d262a1fe5a736db.png

JB placed a different set of expectations on himself last summer, IMO.

TG is the bug deflector of the day though. 

Eventually, JB will be there holding the bag for his expensive summer. 

http://shrpsports.com/ is a great site. You can go to any date in the past and see the full NHL standings. All sports actually, i use it all the time.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, joe-max said:

Don't see that. Green wants his team to play crash&bang grinding hockey, JB gave him crash&bang, forechecking grinders (Pearson, Leivo, Horvat, Miller, Virtanen, Roussell, Sutter, Motte, Beagle). Not that it is necessarily a bad thing, if anything there is too many of them and not enough skill, but it certainly is not EP's nor BB's style.

motte is the only player dishing out hits on a regular basis, we have some big guys but most don't hit, 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, riffraff said:

While I agree, the change still needs to happen.  It escapes me right now but was it LA who fired the coach and the GM stepped behind the bench or was it Anaheim or SJ?

anyhow, I honestly think this should happen.  Liquidate the coaching staff and JB stands in and determines who is deadweight and who stays. I feel this team is still not doing enough to own their efforts from the top of the lineup on down.

its time to get real.  Like, immediately.

I don't see what it could hurt. I don't think Green has helped himself with his choice in assistants. 

Give the interim job to Doug Jarvis and Malhotra for a few days and then bring in DeBoer or another seasoned NHL coaching group. 

9 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

I’m talking about the room he has now.

in the NHl that was my whole point in what I said it was only one line long it said “he had to of had the room first”

why would I care what he did in another room when it’s not the room we’re talking about that he supposedly “lost.” It’s not even the same league 

How do you know if he had it or didn't have it? I never sensed that he was a difficult coach or not.

2 hours ago, Pickly said:

Really? Cause other than Tyler Motte, I haven’t seen a Canuck player throw a hit for a few games now. Right now, I can’t tell the difference between a Travis Green coached team and a Willie D coached team. 

Pretty sure I saw Horvat give a Hab a pretty solid hit last night.

Bottom line is, our weakness has and always will be our defense.  This hasn't changed.  Yes the addition of Hughes, Myers and Benn has improve, but it is still a below average defense.  Hughes and Myers increased our offensive production from the backend, but hasn't really improve our defensive side.  Benn has been a solid bottom pairing acquisition, but the facts remains, he's just a bottom pairing.   This slight improvement, helped us score more goals and give a little less, but overall we don't have a contending D core yet.

Hughes will gain more and more confidence and improve but he'll never be a Doughty, Weber, Carlson or Keith.  He could be a Karlsson or Burns, great offensive skill with limited shutdown abilities.

Edler and Tanev are kind of holding the fort right now, but they are trending downhill.  If they start unravelling faster than expected, this defense core will be in trouble in the next few year, unless Juolevi can turn it around and become the player we expected him to be.   Still we will need more than just him.  We have a lot of potential 4-5 guys in the pipeline, but not really a solid or guaranteed top 2-3 defenseman.  I wish Benning could pull a defenseman version of JT Miller via trade.  But that will require to give up another 1st rounder.

On a positive note, I think this D-core is much better equip to handle the 2nd half of the season, where we kind of unravelled every past few years.  If the Canucks can keep their head above water until the end of January, I think this team will play better in February and March than we have in the past.  Hopefully, that will be the difference for a potential playoff spot.  Despite, my comments above, I do believe the Canucks can make the playoffs with this team.  We hit a rough patch, but I expect them to get rolling sometime soon and get a streak going on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Pretty sure I saw Horvat give a Hab a pretty solid hit last night.

Wow crazy. Doesn’t take away from the fact the Canucks play soft and a minuscule Habs team dominated the boards game last night. The Canucks continue to be easy to play against. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

Wow crazy. Doesn’t take away from the fact the Canucks play soft and a minuscule Habs team dominated the boards game last night. The Canucks continue to be easy to play against. 

Just now, J-23 said:

Don’t care what the stats sheet says for the season, that’s like the second hit I’ve seen from Bo all season.

Meh, I think people are looking for things to bitch about because we're losing. Horvat hits a bit (though usually he's concentrating more on being in solid position etc, which I'm fine with). Roussel hits, Motte hits, Schaller hits, Miller hits...hell even Petey occasionally throws one! And neither Leivo or Pearson are huge 'spectacle' hitters but both are VERY good along the boards, separating opposition from pucks and using their bodies to win battles.

It's not the reason we're losing IMO.

• Like 1
  • Wat 2

24 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If the Canucks miss the playoffs, I would think that would be the outcome.

If that's the outcome I want Burkie back as GM or prez. 

We all saw what happen when the duck handed him an almost ready team just missing a piece or two and Burkie helped them win a cup and Burkie did build wce and Sedins so we know he can draft and build and the knock on Burkie is he couldn't find a goalie well we have three maybe four promising guys.....

personally I don't see Jim getting fired this season but next year will be him on the hot seat. This season green will probably be let go cause say what you want about Jim's spending but I would say there's more young talent in Van then I've ever seen so Jim will get a warning , this season....

Just now, aGENT said:

Meh, I think people are looking for things to bitch about because we're losing. Horvat hits a bit (though usually he's concentrating more on being in solid position etc, which I'm fine with). Roussel hits, Motte hits, Schaller hits, Miller hits...hell even Petey occasionally throws one! And neither Leivo or Pearson are huge 'spectacle' hitters but both are VERY good along the boards, separating opposition from pucks and using their bodies to win battles.

It's not the reason we're losing IMO.

Nobody said it’s the reason we lost.

Some of us are just tired of seeing us get out muscled by a bunch of garden gnomes.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I see the Panicky Pollyanna's are out in force after the loss last night. I see even you have been bitten and infected @PhillipBlunt :P

IMO the 'problem' is 90% that our core is quite young. They've struggled with consistency, execution and defensive play...almost as you'd expect a young core to do...:rolleyes:

The other 10%...sure if you want to nit pick about a coaching decision here and there, that would fall in there. Or missing guys like Edler or the chunk we played without Beagle/Sutter (and others) and not probably having them at 100% even now.

But yup, mostly that we're relying on a pretty young, inexperienced core of players to lead the way IMO. Gotta take the highs with the lows in that scenario.

And I'm with Friedman's quote in regards to people's thoughts on firing Green (or Benning for that matter) based on less than half of one season where he has something even resembling a half decent team to work with. That's a loser franchise move. Good franchises don't make panicky, reactionary moves.

As always you’re welcome to your opinion.

go leafs go

ole ole ole.

ya sounds about right in year 50.

• Upvote 2

I don't want to pile on Green, because he seems like a nice guy, but in all fairness I never wanted him to be head coach in the first place. 

I keep hearing trust the system but frankly the system hasn't ever worked, it looks like it is at the beginning of the season, but by November its the same problem the team is already gassed. 

When Loui expressed his concerns almost everyone blamed Loui. Maybe Loui has tuned out, but probably for good reason. 

• Like 1