The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposals)(Discussions) Should we let Benning go?

Terrible contracts, at this rate he won't be able to resign all the core.  Also when it comes to injuries it's clear this club has taken a step back.  Then it's the head scratching roster decisions like sending Gaudette down this year and running out of goalies last year. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Very well said and the most important part of this whole thing is that it is still an "Unfinished Product". Coaching may need improvement and the Core needs to grow a little more but we will not see their full potential until they start seeing meaningful games in the playoffs IMO. There are still key components possibly stewing in the minors so we are far from over and more like its just begun.

Thank you EdgarM

I look at what we have both on the big club and in the system, and smile a lot. I was excited when Pettersson came over and wowed us, and I am excited to see Hughes

and his talents. I love how Virtanen is developing, and I watch the prospect reports on Hoglander, Podkolzin and Rathbone, all of which I feel are important parts going 

forward.

IMO, if the young guns drag us into the playoffs, well good....if they don't, they I pray Benning can weave a little magic at the draft. Imagine if we were ever to get a 

lottery pick!!!! I watch over our other prospects and cross my fingers for some of them to make it as well. And I look at the Palmu's, Keppen's, and Malone's and hope

that one of them turns out as well.

We still need a top end LWer, and a Top RHD

Maybe they are here, or are coming

I will give Benning and Green another year.....after that, if it does not start to turn out...…..then I am more open

I feel we are like starving dogs, just wanting anything that looks like a playoff team

29 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Others, are saying, that outside of drafting, Jim has done a terrible job signing UFA veterans, to which I will say, that in fact, Jim went out and signed both Eriksson and Myers, who were touted as the best UFA's in the year they were signed. CDC questions the cost of those  two UFA's, and again bemoan their production to cost as being Benning's fault. To this I will say, that the cost was high because the market pushed it there, by other GM's who thought that those UFA's were of value. This can be said of the other UFA's Benning has signed.

The fact that Eriksson, did not turn out as advertised, is not on Benning, but on Eriksson. If the market, had only pushed Eriksson value up to 2.5 Million would his distractors had said he was not worth that much. I would submit, most would see to days Eriksson's issue as a minor issue, and the cost to get rid of him would be much less painful. CDC would have been much happier, but alas, the other GM's push that value up, and are probably sitting back thanking God, that Vancouver out bid them. But the point is, they in general supported his value, at the time. Again, it was a bidding war, as all are, and unfortunately we won.

We signed Eriksson after Lucic signed with Edmonton. Loui wasn't even Benning's first choice so I disagree that Eriksson was the best UFA. Myers may have been the best D but Panarin was the best UFA this year. 

When you go dipping into the free agency pool you should expect to pay top dollar. Look at the players signed that year, Lucic, Ladd, Okposo, Eriksson, Backes, all those contracts look like anchors going forward for their respective teams. Just because you are in a bidding war doesn't mean you don't deserve blame for overpaying. Just as Benning should credit for his drafting, he should be looked at critically for his work in free agency.

NHL hockey is a results based business.

Benning so far has had terrible results from the teams he has assembled here in Vancouver.

Based on the results.... it is time now to FIRE Benning and replace him with an actually experienced NHL GM. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

Benning has made mistakes.  Even Scotty Bowman made mistakes.  I don't think it is prudent for posters to dismiss mistakes that were made and to try and justify everything that Benning has done.  All GM's make mistakes.  But you have to look at the overall body of work.  People always bring up Eriksson and Juolevi as Benning blunders.  Then there are the anchor contracts he has signed, specifically guys who are role players.  Most of these deals could be justified at the time of the signing.  But then every deal can be done that way, what GM does a deal and then immediately regrets it the same day??

We all have the advantage of hindsight and looking back on what's been done and playing Monday morning quarterback.  That's not how his works.  At the end of the day we need to look at the entire body of work done by Benning.  Benning inherited a club on the decline with ageing veterans and with virtually zero prospects.  In 5 years he's managed to rebuild our entire prospect pool, our farm team and give us some solid young pieces that are currently on the roster.  Is the rebuild over?  No it's not.  There are still more pieces to get and more prospects to join the big club.  Until that happens we will be a borderline playoff team.

Having said all that looking at the current roster I think we are a playoff team today.  With Markstrom as a legit #1 goalie and with JT Miller added to the mix of top 6 forwards and with Gaudette and Jake and now Roussel giving us a competitive 3rd line, I think most of the pieces are there to at least make the playoffs.  The problem is the coaching.  It's very easy to see the team is not playing to it's full potential and quite frankly I think Green has lost the room at this point.  He's an inexperienced head coach just like Willy D and he is n over his head right now.  The immediate fix is to get a new experienced coach like Peter DeBoer who has been to 2 finals with 2 different teams.  Once that is in place then we can re-evaluate our team and see what is missing.

We can't do much about Loui's contract right now and Ferland getting another 2 concussions this year didn't help either.  But the young core is there and it is fun to watch.  We just need to right the ship with a new bench boss and go from there.  If we can do that sooner rather than later then perhaps the playoffs can still be a goal this year.  Ultimately Aquilini will need to make the final decision.  I hope he chooses wisely.

Jim's done the most important part right, I don't believe there's a GM that would have drafted any better. Our prospect pool is up in the top rankings and its pretty hard to argue with 3 calder finalists (or potential finalist in Hughes).

I hated the Wlllie D hire, had more hope for Green.

Yes there are several mistakes in free agency which is where most of the Benning complaints live... but that Miller trade makes up for some of that. 

All in all I'd give Jim a B-, one more big mistake from being canned. But he's also a little bit more success from staying on. 

• Upvote 1

Question is: How will firing Benning change anything this season? Sure, he made some questionable UFA signings over the past 5 years, but that's not why they're losing.

Coaches they've hred under his tenure:

Willie

Green

they can do better than that, this young, dynanmic team deserves a real coach.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Question is: How will firing Benning change anything this season? Sure, he made some questionable UFA signings over the past 5 years, but that's not why they're losing.

Coaches they've hred under his tenure:

Willie

Green

they can do better than that, this young, dynanmic team deserves a real coach.

DeBoer might be an interesting coach for us.... I like that he knows the division, so there's no learning curve like with a coach out of the east. He's got a good track record. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

DeBoer might be an interesting coach for us.... I like that he knows the division, so there's no learning curve like with a coach out of the east. He's got a good track record. 

I'd be okay with that I think. He's had some success with SJ, coached the Devils in the SCF. Experience.

There are too many players on this team that are not doing anything!  No points, no hits, no intimidation, no fights, nothing!  Just picking up a BIG pay cheque!  Up to management to get the right group of guys that can show up and contribute in some way every night, every game!  

21 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

I love how cheerful and optimistic everyone is at this time of year. Especially on CDC. Especially after a losing streak. Warms my heart.

:towel:

Vancouver fans are demanding and not accepting of crappy hockey team.  Right now our club is crappy.

Benning assembled this team.   The current dog s... results sit on Benning.     

He should probably go back to running drafting/scouting and let the important job of GM go to someone that has real experience in the role.   

Myers is a perfect example of what is wrong with Benning.  Signs a crappy D man to 6 mil per year and gives him 5 yrs of term - 30 million dollars.

Are you kidding me.........     Winnipeg fans are still laughing about the contract JB offered Myers....

• Haha 2

fire jim benning ? what will this accomplish absolutely nothing .  , Do people not realize the sedins have been gone for exactly one full season and parts of this one , and yet you think we are the next coming of  the 2011 team.  seriously .  it took the sedins 5 years to figure out the league and another 2 years to become elite   that is 7 years  plus not including actually getting into the playoffs .  think about it   petey is in 2nd year and hughes is in his rookie year  brock his 3rd year  these our new sedins  it will take time , so chill out  these are growing pains  so before anyone spurts out well look at Colorado  , look at their rebuild     yep nate was drafted in 2013  1st overall  and it has taken 5 years to make the playoffs  , 

You lost me after 2 sentences. Lol. You still crying about a 2nd rounder? We got a top 6 forward and because of injury he isn't who he was, not Benning's fault. It was a great trade. I am sorry. Beagle's contract is not terrible. 3mil for a guy doing pseudo-3rd line work? Beagle for 3 is fine especially for what he brings, he has 39% ozone starts and is 58% in the dot. Without him look how overused Bo Horvat is, and Petey seems to be a liability in the faceoff dot. Beagle makes their lives easier.

Sutter is overpaid, yes. But not by much when healthy. It's a problem cause he is often injured but he had no major injury history prior to Benning offering him that contract, hell he was a perennial 75+ game guy excluding lockout shortened seasons and his rookie season. So I do not hang that contract on Benning's head. And Roussel is our Dorsett, he makes Dorsett money. Not a problem.

Eriksson contract sucks. Yes, yes. Most teams have one. Not gonna defend Benning here. Spooner's buyout ends this year. Oh well, Gagner wasn't gonna do nothing he took a shot at a guy finding his game. Luongo recap wasn't his fault.

5 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Terrible contracts, at this rate he won't be able to resign all the core.  Also when it comes to injuries it's clear this club has taken a step back.  Then it's the head scratching roster decisions like sending Gaudette down this year and running out of goalies last year. 

Go to capfriendly, get read up on the contract situation. Sutter, Pearson, Baer, and Edler's contracts as well as Spooner's buyout will ALL be off the cap when Petey and Hughes are up. Tanev can be let go as early as this year if need be. Bo, Boeser, Petey, Hughes, and Miller will all be signed no problem, as will Juolevi if you consider him a future member of the core. Virtanen is debatable whether or not he is a key part of the core and even then can be re-signed with Schaller's money, which is free this summer. Gaudette will still be around. Demko and/or Marky will be around. Everyone else is not what any rational person would consider a core player. Those not mentioned are kids and will be on ELCs or Bridge deals and if/when they need money the cap will be available. I really don't understand why y'all so up in arms over cap. 

• Cheers 1

The issue is wins and losses, and that rests on the players and/or coach. Whenever fans are crying about the team needing better D or another Top 6 forward, Benning goes out and gets that. Obviously, the Eriksson signing was a disaster from the start, but back then Loui was in his prime and just had a 30 goal season. No one predicted he would fall that far overnight. That's on Loui. A lot of Canucks fans wanted more size and snarl in the lineup, and Benning went out and signed the baddest UFA power forward available. Again, bad luck with Ferland's health so far this year. Hopefully he gets back soon, because the Canucks are a better team, with him in the lineup. He got rid of Pouliot and Hutton and brought in a giant who can skate in Myers and the rugged Benn. If there's a weak spot on D, IMO, it's Stecher. I'd rather have Fantenberg in. Benning's drafting has been excellent, I give him an A. Now he's saying he wants to add another Top 6 forward, and I believe he will. I also believe he'll find a way to rid the Canucks of Loui. But as far as wins and losses, that's not on Benning. Canucks have a good roster. They were deadly to start the season, what happened?  They gave Bo the C and Green stopped coaching?