The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Golden Knights @ Canucks Dec 19 2019 - 7pm - SNET

Rate this topic

xereau

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Horvat is not the same player he was before being named captain. Maybe it's just coincidence.What I don't understand is that Bo is the leader (captain) so shouldn't he be given the best wingers to play with on the top line? Let's face it, he's struggling with Pearson and Leivo and what other bottom 6 wingers they stick him with, and he's done what has been asked of him since he got here without any complaining. Are they taking advantage of Bo? It's time the Canucks start respecting Bo as the captain and building the team around him - not Pettersson. Petey is like a secret weapon, although, it's no longer a secret. But he's struggling too at times, with the physicality, and being hounded against the best defenders.

Miller - Horvat - Boeser

Roussel - Pettersson - Virtanen

Pettersson would have Roussel and Jake on his wings, to look out for him, but more importantly, to get to pucks quick and off to him for a shot. If they do this, watch Jake's and Antoine's point totals go up. Boeser is having to battle for pucks and having to go to the dirty areas, and he's taking a beating. Let Roussel and Jake do the heavy lifting for Pettersson. And let Bo be the leader of this team, giving him every chance to succeed. Same with the top lione, let Bo and Miller do the heavy lifting while Boeser onetimes lasers from the slot.

I agree. Why give the captain some role players instead of some talented players?

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Why are you comparing THIS group to one 4 years ago?  That's your first mistake.  In short...the one 4 years ago was getting "too old" and this roster is still "young".  You're stuck on progress in relation to points/standings but you don't see a different game being played?  Faster?  More exciting?  More goals???  We screamed for more goals and, up until we hit the skid, were getting them.

If you're disgusted by this team I'm at a loss for words.  I see a bright future...maybe look ahead instead of backwards?

Learn from past mistakes, see what didn't work and don't do it again. Ask why isn't the team playing in the playoffs,

Pro sports is measured by winning, standings indicate competence against your peers, team vs team with a Champion being chosen as the best. Maybe because that has never happened here merely looking good losing is the status quo, maybe it is "aim low, avoid disappointment"

I guess if you have lost faith in the team's ability to win, then a person find little crumbs to satisfy their lowered expectations.

When Benning was hired he made the team older, the oldest the Canucks have ever been, it was his trades and signings that made the team that old. The team now, is still older than league average if Edler plays, Demko replaces DiPietro or Ferland replaces Gaudette.

I have seen you post this kind of stuff before so I have to ask

Are you interested in seeing this team win a Stanley Cup? Or winning at all?

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Darius said:

i think you are over stating how much this happens. Id say half of the time EP is on the ice there is a different defense pairing on the ice.  Also, having an offensively gifted d man rush the puck is not unusual. Id rather have QH enter the zone with possession then hand it over to a forward than the meat and potatoes dump n chase that we are seeing so much of.

Watch tonight, at least 5 times you will see a forward stop to let him go by and play defence.

7 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Learn from past mistakes, see what didn't work and don't do it again. Ask why isn't the team playing in the playoffs,

Pro sports is measured by winning, standings indicate competence against your peers, team vs team with a Champion being chosen as the best. Maybe because that has never happened here merely looking good losing is the status quo, maybe it is "aim low, avoid disappointment"

I guess if you have lost faith in the team's ability to win, then a person find little crumbs to satisfy their lowered expectations.

When Benning was hired he made the team older, the oldest the Canucks have ever been, it was his trades and signings that made the team that old. The team now, is still older than league average if Edler plays, Demko replaces DiPietro or Ferland replaces Gaudette.

I'm not sure where you're getting that information from, but the Canucks have one of the youngest rosters in the league. That's with all those players you mentioned in the lineup

https://www.rosterresource.com/nhl-roster-breakdowns/
Edit - Actually i'm not sure if this is current or not. Correct me if I'm wrong

Edited by Ur a Towel

1 minute ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Because we are rebuilding. Aquilini and Benning have said that we need to be patient with the process not very long ago suggesting the "rebuild" didn't really even start from when Benning officially started (perhaps because we continued to try and make the playoffs while the Sedins were still around to try and give them that opportunity to win a Cup which in hindsight probably wasn't the right direction, but we are in the right direction now). We are trying to build a team that can actually compete for the Cup in the long run rather than just to squeak into the playoffs, be one and done and have to start all over again. A rebuild will have growing pains and we are simply going through one now. We will see how the team faces adversity and bounces back and this will build character for the current young crop. I want to win the Cup, but it doesn't have to be this season.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

I'm not sure where you're getting that information from, but the Canucks have one of the youngest rosters in the league. That's with all those players you mentioned in the lineup

Edit - Actually i'm not sure if this is current or not. Correct me if I'm wrong

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I agree. Why give the captain some role players instead of some talented players?

Canucks have been accused of mistreating players before. Bo won't complain about line mates or assignments, so they keep juggling his wingers to try and get him going, or wanting him to be more in a checking role. How about giving him good wingers? That might get him going. lol  But this fan base is Pettersson crazy, so it all seems to revolve around Petey.  You know on other teams who the captain is. He's usually the centreman (or top pairing D) on the top line, with the best wingers. He's the guy they rely on for big goals and carrying the team with they need a boost. How do they expect Bo to be that guy with Pearson and Leivo as his wingers? I think Green is out to lunch.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks have been accused of mistreating players before. Bo won't complain about line mates or assignments, so they keep juggling his wingers to try and get him going, or wanting him to be more in a checking role. How about giving him good wingers? That might get him going. lol  But this fan base is Pettersson crazy, so it all seems to revolve around Petey.  You know on other teams who the captain is. He's usually the centreman (or top pairing D) on the top line, with the best wingers. He's the guy they rely on for big goals and carrying the team with they need a boost. How do they expect Bo to be that guy with Pearson and Leivo as his wingers? I think Green is out to lunch.

Hopefully Benning is successful in making a trade for a top 6 winger for Bo, so that Leivo can be pried out of Green's penthouse and into the bottom six.

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Trying to pad stats for TD? Both Pearson and Leivo are “tradeable” unlike mr Erickson. Im hoping we are gonna see Hoglander next year on Bos wing. My buddy pays close attention to all our young prospects and sees big things from Nils and I trust his judgment. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rick_theRyper said:

Trying to pad stats for TD? Both Pearson and Leivo are “tradeable” unlike mr Erickson. Im hoping we are gonna see Hoglander next year on Bos wing. My buddy pays close attention to all our young prospects and sees big things from Nils and I trust his judgment. 

Fair enough. Good points. I do hope that the impossible becomes possible though and that Eriksson is traded before the end of the season. A guy can dream, right?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

This is not up to date.  Soderberg is still listed with Colorado while he plays for Arizona.   Pominville is no longer with Buffalo - he doesn't have a team.

1 minute ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Thank you. So at 27.2 they're below the league average of 27.7.
How are they then one of the oldest in the league? You said if certain players replace others. Ferland doesn't replace Gaudette who stays in the lineup. Demko replaces Dipietro who's 4 years older. Ferland replaces Schaller who's 2 years younger than Schaller. Edler replaces Chatfield and that's a 10 year difference. 
Their current roster on there has an average age of 26.695. So replace Dipetro with Demko, Schaller with Ferland and Chatfield with Edler and our average age is still only 27.48.  That's still below league average. 
Oh and then we also have Eriksson dragging that up and not playing at 34.

• Upvote 1