The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anaheim will be the team to watch!

Come this trade deadline mark my words, as Anaheim shifts to acquiring picks and prospects. Getzlaf and Fowler will be made available. This is where the Canucks should be looking to pick up their top 6 forward. Rickard Rakell- 26 years old, skilled, good physical presence, and good speed. Could fit beautifully with EP as a legit 30-35 goal scorer. Keep Virtanen on the right side, and bring Miller, Horvat, and Boeser together to create a dynamic second line.We would need to give up Stecher, Demko, and our 1st rounder in this years draft (as were not making the playoffs). I'm ok with this price tag, as I believe Rakell might really flourish with EP. 

Flame away...

Interesting.

Rakell would be an excellent acquisition, but I don't see Anaheim willing to move him. Nothing indicates that he's fallen out of favour there - unless there's something I'm missing. He hasn't been as much of a prolific goal scorer in these last couple of seasons. 

Although he'd be expensive, he'd be a lot like the addition of Miller in that he's another bonafide top-6 forward in the right age group. Unfortunately, Anaheim's in our division, and much like with the Miller trade, Tampa was reluctant to trade him to a division rival (the Wings). 

16 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Interesting.

Rakell would be an excellent acquisition, but I don't see Anaheim willing to move him. Nothing indicates that he's fallen out of favour there - unless there's something I'm missing. He hasn't been as much of a prolific goal scorer in these last couple of seasons. 

Although he'd be expensive, he'd be a lot like the addition of Miller in that he's another bonafide top-6 forward in the right age group. Unfortunately, Anaheim's in our division, and much like with the Miller trade, Tampa was reluctant to trade him to a division rival (the Wings). 

This. It would take a ton for Anaheim to even consider moving Rakell. If we’re looking for a good add to the top six I’d look at Kyle Palmieri in New Jersey. Still only 28, has 2 years left on his contract and he’s always been consistent. 

• Like 1

If Getzlaf can be had, I would love him on Canucks. 

6'5 playmaking centerman at 33 years old, who is just off his peak but still playing at a high level with one more year left on his contract. He can show our young guys what it takes to win. He can even QB our powerplay with Quinn. And if we make the playoffs, help us win a round or two.

Problem is that there is no way we can fit him in unless we find a new home for Baer and Loui. And I doubt he wants to come to Vancouver, he probably wants to retire a Duck.

Fowler would be great too. You can never have enough of puck moving defenceman on your team.

Unlike Perry, I don't see Anaheim moving on from Getz. I imagine he'll probably retire a Duck. He's still pretty effective for almost 35 and it's not like he needs to chase a cup, he won one early on. 

I doubt Rakell is moved either, he's a trade chip certainly but as a rebuilding team they need to keep some talent around to play with their young guys. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/18/2019 at 7:10 PM, captaincowbasher said:

Come this trade deadline mark my words, as Anaheim shifts to acquiring picks and prospects. Getzlaf and Fowler will be made available. This is where the Canucks should be looking to pick up their top 6 forward. Rickard Rakell- 26 years old, skilled, good physical presence, and good speed. Could fit beautifully with EP as a legit 30-35 goal scorer. Keep Virtanen on the right side, and bring Miller, Horvat, and Boeser together to create a dynamic second line.We would need to give up Stecher, Demko, and our 1st rounder in this years draft (as were not making the playoffs). I'm ok with this price tag, as I believe Rakell might really flourish with EP. 

Flame away...

There is no way in hell Fowler is available. If here were available Canucks should be all over trying to acquire him. 

16 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Unlike Perry, I don't see Anaheim moving on from Getz. I imagine he'll probably retire a Duck. He's still pretty effective for almost 35 and it's not like he needs to chase a cup, he won one early on. 

I doubt Rakell is moved either, he's a trade chip certainly but as a rebuilding team they need to keep some talent around to play with their young guys. 

Yeah, I doubt either of these guys get moved. And they don't have much for impending UFAs. Perhaps Ryan Miller gets moved to San Jose at the deadline as a playoff back-up (many rumours of that happening last year, but didn't pan out).

The one name I heard in the rumour mill earlier in the year was Ondrej Kase. The Ducks were reportedly willing to make him available for a young RD. Stecher alone might not be enough, but it could be a good start.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

Yeah, I doubt either of these guys get moved. And they don't have much for impending UFAs. Perhaps Ryan Miller gets moved to San Jose at the deadline as a playoff back-up (many rumours of that happening last year, but didn't pan out).

The one name I heard in the rumour mill earlier in the year was Ondrej Kase. The Ducks were reportedly willing to make him available for a young RD. Stecher alone might not be enough, but it could be a good start.

Is Kase a top six forward?  Is his upside better than guys we already have on the team (Jake) and in the prospects? 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Is Kase a top six forward?  Is his upside better than guys we already have on the team (Jake) and in the prospects? 

He scored 20 goals in 66 games in 2017-18, and was on pace for 30 last year, but he had injury troubles, and has started slow this year.

It was surprising to hear his name at the time...but then again, maybe Anaheim realized the injury would hold him back, as speed has always been a big part of his game. Then again, it might be a good time to buy low, and hope he regains his form. Not saying he's a slam dunk, but if the return would not be much more than Stecher, it could be a gamble worth making.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

Anaheim's in a bit of an odd spot, they have players that could but probably shouldn't move as they rebuild. The only thing going for them is they seem to draft alright and they've been in rebuild territory for a while. They're in a better position than LA, certainly. 

I could see Kase maybe being moved, he's just turned 24 and has a 20 goal season under his belt. 

It'll be interesting to see how they approach things, I could see them taking their time. 

Edited by Coconuts

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Anaheim's in a bit of an odd spot, they have players that could but probably shouldn't move as they rebuild. The only thing going for them is they seem to draft alright and they've been in rebuild territory for a while. They're in a better position than LA, certainly

I could see case maybe being moved, he's just turned 24 and has a 20 goal season under his belt. 

It'll be interesting to see how they approach things, I could see them taking their time. 

Not so sure about that. Doughty is still a much better D-man than anyone on the Ducks. Kopitar is also a better C than any Duck. And Alex Turcotte is heads-and-tails above anything in Anaheim's system. The only significant advantage the Ducks have is Gibson.

Kings have been also developing solid young depth guys out of nowhere on a regular basis (Sean Walker, Alex Iafallo, Michael Amadio, Matt Roy). They still have more work to do, but I think they're closer to competing than Anaheim.

Edited by D-Money

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Not so sure about that. Doughty is still a much better D-man than anyone on the Ducks. Kopitar is also a better C than any Duck. And Alex Turcotte is heads-and-tails above anything in Anaheim's system. The only significant advantage the Ducks have is Gibson.

Kings have been also developing solid young depth guys out of nowhere on a regular basis (Sean Walker, Alex Iafallo, Michael Amadio, Matt Roy). They still have more work to do, but I think they're closer to competing than Anaheim.

LA's roster is top heavy and their better players are 30 or on the wrong side of 30, they may be better than Anaheim now but all that does it keep them mediocre as opposed to terrible. They also lack cap flexibility, the only contracts expiring in the near future outside of Toffoli belong to players who will be looking for raises. And that isn't helped by having almost 11m in dead cap space next season by Richards, Kovalchuk, and Phaneuf. 

Anaheim's salary structure is a bit more spread out, with Getzlaf capping the list at 8.25m. I'll be surprised if Kesler plays again, which allows them to stash that almost 7m on LTIR. Eaves are his LTIR'd 3m expire this season. Perry's buyout will hit em for just over 6m next season but with few players deserving of significant raises that won't hurt em too much. Almost every contract Anaheim has will expire within the two seasons after this one, they've got a fair bit of roster flexibility. 

Both teams are looking at a rebuild, but I'd rather have the flexibility of Anaheim's scenario tbh. They don't have too many pieces to move, but neither does LA really. They could get a great package for Doughty, but I'll be surprised if he's ever traded. Same goes for Kopitar. Nobody's taking on Brown or Quick. Carter's 34 but he might get a decent return.