The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Lias Andersson requests trade from Rangers

22 hours ago, Lancaster said:

There's rumours that the Oiler are/were expected at least Andersson plus a 1st for Puljujarvi, which is nuts.  

The Canucks should try to find a way to get Andersson.  Perhaps a package revolving a couple of the following pieces:  Karlsson, rights to Goldobin, Lind, Sutter, Woo, Demko (assuming the Canucks are keeping Markstrom).  

The problem I have with both Andersson and Poolparty is the teams just want to much for them. The players have really proven nothing in the NHL. They are still "ifs and maybes" to become legit NHLers. 

Lias Andersson would NOT be a good fit on Canucks at all. I can’t believe people are wanting this guy on Canucks. 

where the hell would you put him? Hes a fit on No Canuck line. Canucks have better options already.

Canucks only need playoff beast style players. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/24/2020 at 3:47 PM, HockeyHarry said:

Lias Andersson would NOT be a good fit on Canucks at all. I can’t believe people are wanting this guy on Canucks. 

where the hell would you put him? Hes a fit on No Canuck line. Canucks have better options already.

Canucks only need playoff beast style players. 

My Issue with him is more of his characteristics and attitude.   Throwing his silver medal into the crowd? like cmon man, you win and lose it's part of the game, and players can grow and mature with that experience.   Left the Hardford wolfpack? What does Anderson want?  a free ride to the NHL?  If he's not good enough for the AHL he is surely not good enough for the NHL.  this is immaturity at it's finest and you wonder why he's not traded? teams are not interested in a player like this in their locker room.  There is no entitlement.  If he's a NHL player he needs to prove it.  

I will kindly pass, and focus on our younger guys that are willing to work hard to the NHL career. (Hoglander, and Podkolzin after next season)  

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord
  • Cheers 4

14 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

My Issue with him is more of his characteristics and attitude.   Throwing his silver medal into the crowd? like cmon man, you win and lose it's part of the game, and players can grow and mature with that experience.   Left the Hardford wolfpack? What does Anderson want?  a free ride to the NHL?  If he's not good enough for the AHL he is surely not good enough for the NHL.  this is immaturity at it's finest and you wonder why he's not traded? teams are not interested in a player like this in their locker room.  There is no entitlement.  If he's a NHL player he needs to prove it.  

I will kindly pass, and focus on our younger guys that are willing to work hard to the NHL career. (Hoglander, and Podkolzin after next season)  

When he got drafted, supposedly one of his asset was that he is a leader and is captain material. This turn out to be completely opposite.

On 6/19/2020 at 10:41 AM, Lancaster said:

There's rumours that the Oiler are/were expected at least Andersson plus a 1st for Puljujarvi, which is nuts.  

The Canucks should try to find a way to get Andersson.  Perhaps a package revolving a couple of the following pieces:  Karlsson, rights to Goldobin, Lind, Sutter, Woo, Demko (assuming the Canucks are keeping Markstrom).  

um, no not at all

there is no way this franchise trades Woo unless he fully proves first to be a bust

his marketing potential in this market is huge

he will not be traded away for anything less then a total haul

and lias (i toss my medal) andersson is no haul at all

• Wat 1

Sounds like Andersson's big glaring weakness is his speed in the game.  Not just the skating department, but making quicker decisions, reading plays, and consistently getting to places where his gritty game would thrive.  This all boils down to his commitment level to playing hard and consistency.

https://bluelinestation.com/2019/11/19/new-york-rangers-last-word-lias-andersson-david-quinn/

With his assignment to the Hartford Wolf Pack, another chapter in Lias Andersson’s career with the New York Rangers has been written. Now, it’s up to  him to turn his game around in the AHL.  David Quinn addressed Andersson’s future.

Much of the coach’s post-practice remarks Monday were devoted to the subject of Lias Andersson.  Quinn explained his reasons why the New York Rangers sent him to Hartford and speculated on his future with the team.   In many ways it was what we have heard before.

When listening to Quinn, it’s not hard to believe that Andersson is so far out of favor with the coach, that there is little he can do to earn a return trip to the Garden.

When asked about the assignment, Quinn’s answer was predictable. “We want Lias to get more playing time, touch more pucks.   It did wonders for Fil (Filip Chytil), we’re hoping it will do wonders for Lias as well. ”

That’s clearly the reason that a stint in the AHL will benefit Andersson.  Averaging nine and a half minutes a game on the fourth line, touching pucks was clearly an issue.  The big difference with Chytil was that the Czech center was given the second line pivot slot at the beginning of training camp and failed to keep it, while Andersson was afforded no such consideration.

When pressed on why Andersson didn’t succeed, Quinn elaborated and provided the same reasons he has in the past.

There’s gotta  be consistency to his game…one of the things that he’s got to continue to work on is playing faster, I know that that’s a simple answer but a lot of time it is THE answer for young players.  When they ask you what do I need to do, you’ve got to play fast, you’ve got to be a little bit quicker, play from one play to the next. It’s not just skating fast, it’s playing fast and I think the more you play, the better chance you have to do that,  I certainly understand that, but from a playing standpoint, he’s got to play a little bit faster. I thought there were time he did that, and that’s when he was effective, and I thought there were times where  he wasn’t playing quite fast enough…and he’s done an awful lot of good things, in the last year plus, and again, it’s a 21-year old playing in the American Hockey League to gain some confidence, play a little bit more, touch the puck more, to put him in a better position to have success.”

The concept of “playing faster” has been one that he has harped on when speaking specifically about Andersson.   Clearly it means giving a better effort and in the coach’s eyes, the effort wasn’t there on a consistent basis.

The oddity is that this is the exact opposite of what the Rangers thought they were getting when they drafted him seventh overall in 2017.  Remember what Gordie Clark, the Director of Player Personnel, said about Andersson at the time?

“He’s a helluva player. We’ve really needed a certain kind of player to add into our organization.  This guy, his work ethic and his ability,  you’re gonna love him, the fans will love him.  He’s got the combination of the grit and ability we’ve been looking for.   He’s not a dynamic scorer, he’s a dynamic player in the way that he plays,  he is just so driven,  driving the net, forechecking. finishing checks, and he can make a pass, make a play.”

That doesn’t sound like the player that doesn’t play fast or consistently.   Was the Rangers’ scouting assessment so far off?

Here’s the Elite Prospects.com evaluation in 2017:  “Andersson is an excellent team player. Never takes a shift off. Also blessed with good hockey sense and plays a strong two-way game. Offensively, Andersson stands out with impressive puck skills, a good shot and fine speed. Has the tools to become a scoring line player, but could also become an excellent role player who always gives 100%.”

Again, a player who was repeatedly cited for his leadership, his effort and his ability to win one on one battles has been labelled the opposite in his time in New York.

Quinn was asked if Andersson’s deployment on the fourth line with admittedly inferior linemates contributed to his lack of success

“I get that…everybody talks about that.   But there are things you need to do regardless of who your linemates are. And this isn’t about points, its about…you watch the game and a player should be doing this and they’re doing that…a player should be doing this quicker and they’re not doing it quicker.  A player should be physical and they’re not physical.  That has nothing to do with who your linemates are.  So, those are the things…and I’m not just talking about Lias, but in general, right?  A lot of players think along those lines and to me that’s a bit mistake.   That’s a big mistake if that’s what players are thinking cause you should be able to be an effective player regardless of who you’re playing with and the things this game is going to demand and you should be able to do it regardless of who’s on your wing or who your defense partner is.  I understand that  you  may be in defensive positions more depending on who your wingers are or your partner is defensively  or whatnot, but at the end of the day, there’s an easy evaluation process for an individual, regardless of who their linemates are or who their defense partner is.”

Again, Quinn returned to his theme that it was Andersson’s effort that was lacking and not the fact that he was playing with Micheal Haley and Brendan Smith.  It’s also a word of warning to any Ranger players that dissatisfaction with linemates or assignments can have dire consequences.

Again, he was questioned about Andersson’s deployment and was asked why the Swede never had an opportunity to play in the top nine in an effort to spark his play. Quinn’s answer was simple,  “I don’t wanna take one guy out whom I think should be playing, and it’s not just a small sample,  the guys build trust, they build  a bank account when they make good plays  so, we certainly thought about that, but we didn’t do it.”

That is consistent with Quinn’s coaching style.  He tends to stick with his line combinations in games and players are demoted only when they screw up.  It’s quite a departure from the style of Alain Vigneault who never hesitated to shake up line combinations when things weren’t going right.  Still, a top six player banished to the Quinn Bin could have been an opportunity for Andersson and it never seemed to happen.

His answer also begs the question as to why Andersson never got moved up even when the Rangers were playing horribly as in the Tampa game. I’ve raised that issue before, going into the third period trailing 8-1 is the perfect time to shake things up and it never happened.

Quinn was asked if Andersson had a future on the wing since there appear to be four centers on the team ahead of him (Mika ZIbanejad, Filip Chytil, Ryan Strome, Brett Howden) no matter how well he does in Hartford.   He conceded that was a possiblity, “I think if he plays well, I think there’s an opportunity…I think everything’s on the table for him.  If he goes down there and plays well, and we bring him up, maybe we do put him on the wing.  But at his age, I still want to give him a fair opportunity in the middle.”

An assessment

If Lias Andersson goes to Hartford and does as well as Filip Chytil, we could see him back in New York.  But if he comes  back to the Rangers and is a fourth line wing or center, getting fewer then ten minutes per game, the fear has to be that it will a repeat of what has been happening for two years.

When Quinn was asked about Brett Howden, another young center who has been struggling, his answer was very different. “I think Howds (Howden) s getting better and better. I liked his game the other night.  One of the things, again, for a young player, (is) consistency, playing on the right side of the puck… when he does that he’s an effective player. I think he’s doing that more and more.”

If you compare Andersson and Howden statistically, they are not that different.  Andersson actually has a better faceoff winning percentage, has more hits and more takeaways, while playing an average of six minutes less per game than Howden.  And Howden is playing with Kaapo Kakko and Brendan Lemieux.  Offensively, Howden has two goals and two assists and has only one assist in his last ten games and is minus four in that span.

However, it sounds like David Quinn has already made up his mind that he doesn't like Andersson as much.

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Sounds like Andersson's big glaring weakness is his speed in the game.  Not just the skating department, but making quicker decisions, reading plays, and consistently getting to places where his gritty game would thrive.  This all boils down to his commitment level to playing hard and consistency.

https://bluelinestation.com/2019/11/19/new-york-rangers-last-word-lias-andersson-david-quinn/

However, it sounds like David Quinn has already made up his mind that he doesn't like Andersson as much.

That is the time to get players for cheap.  Some guys the coach just doesn't like.  Sounds like he was in the doghouse even though he outplayed some guys.

A fresh start and he could turn it around.  You don't invest a lot of assets into projects though since more often than not, they are the player that they have shown to be.

On 12/21/2019 at 8:06 PM, kenhodgejr said:

To NYR - Sven Baertchi, Chris Tanev, Olli Juolevi 

To Van - Lias Anderson, Anthony Deangelo 

Your profile says "canucks rookie", but i'm pretty sure you're a "hall of fame" on NY Ranger board, aren't you ? 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Your profile says "canucks rookie", but i'm pretty sure you're a "hall of fame" on NY Ranger board, aren't you ? 

I hope you aren't suggesting that he is a Rangers fan by suggesting a bad trade for us....

Well since Tanev is a pending UFA that is of zero value, we can just sign him on July 1st.  Baertschi is a cap dump, and Juolevi may or may not ever be an NHLer

If we managed this trade we would have made out like massive bandits...

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 6:53 PM, smokes said:

Andersson for Stecher's rights. Use Stecher's money to resign Tanev and bring up Juolevi or Rafferty.

Stecher's money next season for us is currently $0. Not sure how much of that we could spend on re-signing Tanev.

Andersson doesn't seem to fit the bill of the type of player/character we have been looking for (he seems like he has a bit of a Dahlen type mentality), so not sure if there's even any interest from us at this point. If he isn't in their plans anymore, then perhaps they could be interested in a vet that help now with their young group like Sutter along with a prospect like Gadjovich maybe.

On 6/19/2020 at 10:41 AM, Lancaster said:

I don't think any of the bolded guys should be included on proposals for a proverbial falling star, esp. when someone like Lind had a breakout year and has gained the coach's trust with strong two-way play and grit.  Demko could be a platoon starter as soon as next season, while the Rangers have Shesterkin and Georgiev, one of whom will take the reins in the crease from King Hank.  Positionally speaking we should hope Woo makes it and pans out, not trade him for a project.  

There should be more performance based conditions when trading older prospects who are on the cusp of being a bust.

In this case, Pulljujarvi + conditional first for Anderson and a conditional 3rd.

If Puljujarvi scores over 20 goals or 45 points the Oilers get a 1st round pick. If not they get a third.

From Edmonton’s point of view they still get a decent return for a player who needed a change of scenery and for New York a mid-1st isn’t a huge price for a young 2nd liner with upside.

For Andersson the question is more can he even stick in the NHL at all. Rangers get a 3rd if he plays more than 40 games. 

If Puljujarvi busts and Andersson turns into an NHLer at least the Rangers don’t give up anything extra and the Oilers get a roster player for free.

If both players toil in the bottom 6 it’s essentially a win win trade 

Edited by canucklehead44

On 6/27/2020 at 3:06 PM, deus.ex.makina said:

I mean. A cap dump, a pending UFA and a broken prospect (so far, I still believe in his top 4 potential if he can stay healthy) for DeAngelo is a huge win for us. Let alone throwing in a young Swede with some middle 6 upside. People might not like DeAngelo as a person, but he's a right handed D-man that had 53 points in 68 games last season. Say what you will about DeAngelo but NY would never part with him alone for that package. Even if they were allowed to negotiate an extension with Tanev beforehand.

• Like 1

I think your homer mode kicked in to high here.  This is absolutely brutal for the Rangers. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would argue that Canucks win this trade by quite a bit. Personally I have been really high on Lias Anderson and I think he still has potential to be an awesome second line centre kind of like Kessler. Still a lot of work to do for him to do and I think he needs to give his ego a big check but I still view him as a solid prospect.

Anthony Deangelo is an offensive minded 24 year old right shot defence man who skates and moves the puck really well. 2019/2020 he had 15 goals, 38 assists and 53 points. Compare that to our own Quinn Hughes who had 8 goals 45 assists and 53 points. It gives you an idea for the kind of player he can become and he is only just getting started. 

What we would loose is Baertchi who doesn't really have a spot on our team, Tanev who is a pending UFA and Juolevi who is still learning the fundamentals.

I still think D Angelo would be a great fit on our team and we would benefit from having an extra C prospect. I don't think this was a bad trade proposal for us and for you to suggest so much that Im a "hall of fame" on NYR boards just goes to show how little you know about hockey. Maybe stick to Tour de France 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 7:31 PM, kenhodgejr said:

I would argue that Canucks win this trade by quite a bit. Personally I have been really high on Lias Anderson and I think he still has potential to be an awesome second line centre kind of like Kessler. Still a lot of work to do for him to do and I think he needs to give his ego a big check but I still view him as a solid prospect.

Anthony Deangelo is an offensive minded 24 year old right shot defence man who skates and moves the puck really well. 2019/2020 he had 15 goals, 38 assists and 53 points. Compare that to our own Quinn Hughes who had 8 goals 45 assists and 53 points. It gives you an idea for the kind of player he can become and he is only just getting started. 

What we would loose is Baertchi who doesn't really have a spot on our team, Tanev who is a pending UFA and Juolevi who is still learning the fundamentals.

I still think D Angelo would be a great fit on our team and we would benefit from having an extra C prospect. I don't think this was a bad trade proposal for us and for you to suggest so much that Im a "hall of fame" on NYR boards just goes to show how little you know about hockey. Maybe stick to Tour de France 

lol if the ranger's GM is some idiots on CDC or Garth snow they might consider this retarded proposal lol. you are suggesting we offer a player that nobody wanted for free in baertishi + a player they can have for free when free agent starts + a border line 1st round bust for a border line 1st round bust + Deangelo who's only 4th in defenseman scoring this year. Even NHL 20 CPU GM laughs at ur suggestion.

• 1 month later...