The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBC suspends Jeremy Roenick for inappropriate comments

Rate this topic

grandmaster

1 hour ago, Toews said:

Jokes like these make women uncomfortable, it is possible that the intent is largely innocent but voicing it out loud in public is putting the thought there in the minds of your audience. Not everyone listening has the same values or the same level of restraint. I wonder how many of the people condoning these actions would be fine with it if this was said about their SO or their mother/sister and distributed for mass consumption under the guise of entertainment. 

Exactly. 

If this happened to someone close to them (partner, mother, sister, daughter, good friend, etc), how many would say..."it was just a joke and ask them to let it go and turn the other cheek".

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, BPA said:

Exactly. 

If this happened to someone close to them (partner, mother, sister, daughter, good friend, etc), how many would say..."it was just a joke and ask them to let it go and turn the other cheek".

I think there's a bit of an age thing going on here, if you're GenX or older you probably have at least one dumb friend like this that still says stupid things and you don't take it or them seriously. The co-worker still calls him a friend so my guess is this is somewhat of the case here. The behaviour is stupid for sure, but I think depending on age people might view the severity though different lenses. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think there's a bit of an age thing going on here, if you're GenX or older you probably have at least one dumb friend like this that still says stupid things and you don't take it or them seriously. The co-worker still calls him a friend so my guess is this is somewhat of the case here. The behaviour is stupid for sure, but I think depending on age people might view the severity though different lenses. 

Dumb friends exist regardless of age. :lol:

I can laugh it off cuz it's an understanding between them and me.  And it's a private conversation.  If it's not a close personal relationship, then most likely rude comments are crossing the line.

In JR case, he was on the radio.

15 hours ago, Toews said:

Jokes like these make women uncomfortable, it is possible that the intent is largely innocent but voicing it out loud in public is putting the thought there in the minds of your audience. Not everyone listening has the same values or the same level of restraint. I wonder how many of the people condoning these actions would be fine with it if this was said about their SO or their mother/sister and distributed for mass consumption under the guise of entertainment. 

Very insightful and articulate comment, Toews.  I am quite surprised that there are men/boys on this board that struggle to understand this.

Statement from Kathryn Tappen on Jeremy Roenick: “While Jeremy and I continue to be good friends, what he said was unacceptable, especially among workplace colleagues. I do not condone his comments.”   Pretty much says it all.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, BPA said:

Dumb friends exist regardless of age. :lol:

I can laugh it off cuz it's an understanding between them and me.  And it's a private conversation.  If it's not a close personal relationship, then most likely rude comments are crossing the line.

In JR case, he was on the radio.

yeah, dumb will do dumb things.

I've got a buddy who's basically a walking subconscious, he's said crap like this his entire life. Talks about how women look in the room while his wife is beside him, crap like that. But its all bark, no bite, and no one takes him seriously. He's not a bad guy, just an idiot that way. Given a public platform I have no doubt he'd do the same thing. This JR thing feels a lot like that. 

On 12/24/2019 at 1:29 PM, Bob.Loblaw said:

Genuine question - would it be okay if they no longer worked together?  Let's say she no longer is with nbc

Maybe the better phrasing is whether he is no longer with NBC. :P

I have no issue with that kind of talk in a podcast, but NBC is doing nothing wrong if they kick him to the curb, either.  He can continue his brand of humor all he likes, but NBC doesn't need to be associated with it

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

wow. 

just listened to the interview - regular listener but I was a bit behind.. 

major gaff by JR.. I don't really know much about him, but this was bad, especially with all that has gone on lately in the hockey world.. 

interesting that as he started the story, RA actually says something along the lines of 'careful, that's a co worker' and Biz tries to change the direction of the interview but JR steers right back into this story. like what was he thinking? you gotta know the storms coming after that.. 

Also ironic that later in the interview he starts talking about his boss at NBC being all over him about inappropriate language or conduct.. that 's some kind of hyper - disconnect there bud.. 

this woman must have heard it all in the business.. she seems to have just taken in stride, and carried on like a pro.. I'm guessing her career will be better off from this point.. 

• Cheers 1

On 12/23/2019 at 2:42 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Roenick is a walking, breathing inappropriate comment.  Hope they kick his ass so far out of the business that he orbits Pluto, and that the HHoF deems him not worthy of membership.  Ever.

Maybe Roenick wants Cherry’s old job?  

• Haha 1