The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 23, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I didnt say McDavid is overrated, rather his game play. Crosby is a way more complete player in so many ways. I acknowledged McD's speed which makes him exciting to watch. But he doesn't play a team friendly game a lot of the times. He's second in the NHL for turnovers.

McDavid is the most exciting player and the most skilled player in the league right now - the same way Crosby was when he came in, probably more so though given what he's accomplished personally so far.  When people throw out the generational word these are the types that actually are.   Doesn't happen much - like once in a generation and they start off with a bang and end their careers as still valuable.  Ovi is another one.   Thornton is a level down, same with McKinnon and Kucherov as they both took time to get there...EP is in the same range as them. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

He's 5th and he doesn't turn it over 90% of the time. You're taking homerism to a new level. You know who's above him in giveaways?

Doughty

Barzal

Karlsson 

Pasta

Offensively gifted players have the puck more. Score more. Take more chances. Win games more. It comes with the territory.

His takaway differential is better than that of

Panarin

Scechnikov

Marchand

Paciorietty

Draisaitl

Edler

Q. Hughes

Kopitar

Kucherov

Karlsson

OEL

Barzal

Toes

Pasta

Burns

Gaudreau

Chabot

Tkatchuk

Reilly

Carlson

Letang

Doughty 

Weber

Josi

Yandle

Klingberg

Just to name a few.

You'd be crazy if you would pass on these guys just because of their giveaway/takaway stats. Stop acting like he's hurting the Oilers when he's the only reason  they haven't been relegated to the Ahl.

To prove my point further

Eriksson has a +4 gv/tk differential

McD has -14

Who do you want on your team. I know who I'm taking 

I didn't say 90 percent all the time he has puck possession. I said 90 percent of the time he tries to enter the zone one against two or one against three it results in a turnover. Watch for it. Saw it last night over and over. Minus 5 and near top of the NHL in turnovers. Overrated, IMHO. 

• Cheers 2

On 12/23/2019 at 11:04 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"I liked it. It also gave Baumer some options to maybe go Eddie and Tanny once in a while if he needed to after a powerplay. Stech played with Fants a couple shifts... On paper, you always like what you see and hope it works out. Tonight it did." - Green on Edler and depth

Yeah, TG needs to use the depth on "D" ...Benn sitting, he can rotate the "D" men to keep them fresh, especially on the road playing every second night with a back to back thrown in there. Fresh "D" compared to tired "D" gives the best chance to win. Needs to use the depth wisely.

Edited by Pete M
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Back to what I said McD tries that selfish crap ten, twelve times a game and it results in turnovers 90 percent of the time.

Regardless of what you said you're way out to lunch. You say he tries this 10-12 times a game and it results in turnover 90%

So were 40 games into the season.

If he tried this 10 times a game and 9/10 were turned over he'd have 360 turnovers right?

Not 54 or whatever...

You know what he does have....62 pts lol.

So yeah. Take the blinders off maybe. 

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Regardless of what you said you're way out to lunch. You say he tries this 10-12 times a game and it results in turnover 90%

So were 40 games into the season.

If he tried this 10 times a game and 9/10 were turned over he'd have 360 turnovers right?

Not 54 or whatever...

You know what he does have....62 pts lol.

So yeah. Take the blinders off maybe. 

Perhaps "10 to 12 times a game", ya, you got me there exaggerating. But

I stand by my turnovers at the blue line though. Selfish player that has a lot to learn and I'm not convinced he ever will. Time will tell.

11 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I think Horvat had his best game of season so far..

Scored a goal that's a bonus...but his shut down game vs McDavid was amazing..

He's growing into a top tier shut down C..

other than his goal created by driving the net, Horvat made a great play by actually setting up the attack triangle by taking the puck wide and passing to a trailing LE for a grade A scoring chance....this is what I'm harping on, Out of all the players, Horvat needs to set up this play time and time again because he has the speed and talent to create it....

He needs to be the player to take the puck wide with speed and use his team mates to set up this play...either give it to the trailer, pass it to the player driving the net or shoot the puck on net for a rebound for the player driving the net....

Edited by Pete M

33 minutes ago, rekker said:

I didn't say 90 percent all the time he has puck possession. I said 90 percent of the time he tries to enter the zone one against two or one against three it results in a turnover. Watch for it. Saw it last night over and over. Minus 5 and near top of the NHL in turnovers. Overrated, IMHO. 

Bure was always at the top of the league board in both giveaways and takeaways by the eye test too.   Not sure if they tracked this back then but I do remember his plus minus wasn't very good a lot of years - not terrible either - usually around zero.   That said he more then made it up on both special teams .... loads of short handed goals and PP points each year.   I agree with the guy your posting with that guys like them get burned a lot more on the stat sheet because they have the puck on their stick way more then the average blue chipper.   Every year the players themselves vote him as the best in the league - which to me is a testament to his greatness more then scoring titles and almost on par with Hart trophies.  Same with first and second team all-star selections.  He's just entering his prime and already has about the same amount of accolades as Crosby has his entire career (Crosby would of had more for sure if he's wasn't concussed - thanks to that the Sedins got some hardware and Perry was given probably the least deserved or most underwhelming Hart trophy I've ever seen).

46 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

Mrs Eriksson was ok considering he was on a top line. Just marginally ok because normally he's the $hits and will continue to be. 

I was even a little worried on his open goal. 

It must be sad being that way

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I know we're all supposed to say that.. but imo he isn't. Yes he's got speed and good hands, but there are better playmakers, harder shots, guys like Malkin that play a far tougher game, etc.

I'd much rather face Edmonton and McDiver than Colorado and MacKinnon in the playoffs. Diver is also not as complete a player as Crosby, I actually don't like that comparison at all. 

I think MacKinnon is the best all around player in the world right now

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

He also played with skates that were 5x as heavy and a piece of lumber for a stick (until his aluminum anyway).  If Gretzky plays now, with modern equipment and training, he's still a 150 point guy.

I can’t even imagine how good 99 would be today. 

Or the other guys too, with the new sticks, etc.

• Like 2