The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 23, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I can see the Canucks getting past Edmonton in a playoff round.... MacKinnon? yikes. 

Playing against Colorado isn't as simple as shutting down Mackinnon. They have many different weapons that can hurt you and they are fast and skilled team with a lot of depth. Edmonton is McDavid + Draisaitl + Koskinnen. If Koskinnen has a bad night or you shut-down McDavid + Draisaitl you should have no trouble winning. 

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

That's definitely going to change over the next couple of years when kids who were 11 or 12 when McDavid broke in to the NHL start getting drafted.

well hopefully it doesn't, McDavid is  all about himself and such a whiner along with his coach

30 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Which means he has the puck on his stick a lot, and attempts a lot of passes that get picked off.

Hughes leads the Canucks in turnovers at 36, with Miller next worst at 25.  Does that make Hughes a selfish player?

Ohh.   This guys not going to give up easily but this might get him thinking.   Of course there are other variables - but this is one of them.  It's pretty much a complete consensus at this point and that the torch has been passed from Crosby to McDavid.   That said if he comes back and wins another Conn Smythe and ties Roy then maybe the crown will be passed back for a year or so.   Crosby is still an elite player of course - but this is absolutely McDavids time.   And he's taken a back seat (Crosby).  The only guy this year that's in the same conversation of best player is McKinnon.  Last year it was Kucherov.   McDavid is better then both these guys overall since he entered the league - and certainly a lot better a the same age as anyone but Crosby. 

Since this is turning into a bash McDavid thing, what I don't like is everybody calling him Connor.

His name is McDavid.

There are lots of players with the first name Connor and some with the last name Connor.

Gretzky

Crosby

Malkin

Good enough for them; good enough for McDavid.

Oh, and while I'm at it, why is it always Ryan Nugent-Hopkins?

He should be called Hopkins, imo.

• Haha 1

Why does McD escape all blame on his team? They have sucked the last two years. Great start this year but fading. Fans have blamed Drais, goaltending, Chia yet McD escapes all criticism. Is the so called best player in the world not on the hook for some of the failures?

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, rekker said:

Why does McD escape all blame on his team? They have sucked the last two years. Great start this year but fading. Fans have blamed Drais, goaltending, Chia yet McD escapes all criticism. Is the so called best player in the world not on the hook for some of the failures?

Take out McDavid and that team is at the bottom of the league, that’s why.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

Enough talk about other team's elite players!  How about our own two budding superstars?  Pettersson is currently #14 in NHL scoring, and is one great game away from top 10.  Hughes is #10 among NHL dmen in scoring, one great game from top 5.  Not too shabby for a pair of kids at the start of their NHL careers.  Can you imagine them at their peak?

Merry Christmas!

You bet.   And with EP if you just count centers things look even better.  He's already top ten by position and he's a sophomore.  Top five is within striking distance...

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, J-23 said:

But if he plays a better team game and leads by example the Oilers would be a better team. Isn't that part of being the best player in the world? Insert Petey here. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You bet.   And with EP if you just count centers things look even better.  He's already top ten by position and he's a sophomore.  Top five is within striking distance...

Yessir!  He's one of those special players that's driven to improve his game constantly.  Can't wait till he's worked on his faceoff skills, and when he's put on more weight and muscle.  Top five center is a definite maybe.

56 minutes ago, Pete M said:

a question for the McDavid debate going on....

Would you trade EP40 straight up for McDavid?...or McDavid for Mckinnon?

Putting it that way, a straight up trade, is interesting fodder. They all play a different style of game. But Mckinnon and McJesus have already proven themselves as superstars. Petey, no matter how much we want to project, is not there yet.  So it would be painful, but you'd have to make that trade. Especially for McJesus.

Now trading one Mc for the other Mc? That would be a tougher call.

4 hours ago, rekker said:

I didnt say McDavid is overrated, rather his game play. Crosby is a way more complete player in so many ways. I acknowledged McD's speed which makes him exciting to watch. But he doesn't play a team friendly game a lot of the times. He's second in the NHL for turnovers.

Give aways in the NHL are always led by the best players in the NHL because they always have the puck. Year to date the following are the give away leaders:

Doughty  59

Barzal  58

E Karlsson  56

Pastrnak  55

McDavid 52

Chabot 50

I personally don't read too much into that stat.

Edit: I see this has been beat to death already.   

...rekker....your hate for McDavid is strong lol

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I dunno... 12.5M pays for Bo and Miller, and leaves almost 2M leftover.  Some good offense and 2-way play in place of some great/outstanding offensive skill and far less 2-way play would make for a better team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Give aways in the NHL are always led by the best players in the NHL because they always have the puck. Year to date the following are the give away leaders:

Doughty  59

Barzal  58

E Karlsson  56

Pastrnak  55

McDavid 52

Chabot 50

I personally don't read too much into that stat.

Edit: I see this has been beat to death already.   

...rekker....your hate for McDavid is strong lol

Lol. Maybe I'm just bored today. When and where the giveaways happen are big but now I'm splitting hairs. I will give McD the fastest skater and the entertainment crown for now. Not ready for best player till I see more. I'm done on this. Merry Christmas to you all. Canucks strong since 82. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

Since this is turning into a bash McDavid thing, what I don't like is everybody calling him Connor.

His name is McDavid.

There are lots of players with the first name Connor and some with the last name Connor.

Gretzky

Crosby

Malkin

Good enough for them; good enough for McDavid.

Not sure if trolling or...:huh:

You do know his name is legally Connor McDavid right? There are lots of players named Wayne, but it doesn't make Wayne Gretzky any less of a "Wayne". If the lineup had 2 or more "Connors", I could see your confusion, but there was literally only one player with the first name "Connor" on either sides of the team, I think everyone knows who they're referring to.

Oh, and while I'm at it, why is it always Ryan Nugent-Hopkins?

He should be called Hopkins, imo.

Uhh...again, he is legally "Ryan Nugent-Hopkins". His last name is "Nugent-Hopkins". Calling him "Hopkins" would just be plain incorrect.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I dunno... 12.5M pays for Bo and Miller, and leaves almost 2M leftover.  Some good offense and 2-way play in place of some great/outstanding offensive skill and far less 2-way play would make for a better team.

JB is going to have the same issues with EP and Hughes.  Petey will be in double digits and that will decimate the depth of the team and likely close the window substantially

• Upvote 1