The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 23, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, stawns said:

We just disagree on Boes.  I don't find him To be a particularly good player outside of his points.  He's ok at the current salary, but he'll be asking double that on his next deal and I think that $ is better spent on good depth players.

You're high on Christmas spirit.

Merry Christmas

5 hours ago, stawns said:

We just disagree on Boes.  I don't find him To be a particularly good player outside of his points.  He's ok at the current salary, but he'll be asking double that on his next deal and I think that $ is better spent on good depth players.

Either you're jealous of Brock's Prince Charming looks or you're drunk on eggnog...why would you get rid of the second highest scorer currently on the team? And he hasn't peaked yet!  It boggles the mind.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

Either you're jealous of Brock's Prince Charming looks or you're drunk on eggnog...why would you get rid of the second highest scorer currently on the team? And he hasn't peaked yet!  It boggles the mind.

I just don't find him to be a very good player beyond putting up points.  However, regardless of other deficiencies, points get big paydays. 

I have no issue with him around $5.5 per, but he's going to be looking for $7.5m minimum, imo.  I'd rather trade him for a good young, cheaper dman and an upper tier bottom 6 guy to replace Beagle or Sutter.

I get putting the puck in the net is important, but when you get to the post season, it's your shutdown players who get you to the end.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I just don't find him to be a very good player beyond putting up points.  However, regardless of other deficiencies, points get big paydays. 

I have no issue with him around $5.5 per, but he's going to be looking for $7.5m minimum, imo.  I'd rather trade him for a good young, cheaper dman and an upper tier bottom 6 guy to replace Beagle or Sutter.

I get putting the puck in the net is important, but when you get to the post season, it's your shutdown players who get you to the end.

7.5 is a far cry from the near 12m you were worried about earlier in this thread.  Barring a big change (either way) in points production, I can see him in the 8 or 9 range.

I trust JB to make the right call.  Trading him might be the way to go, so you suggest, cuz I agree on the value of the bottom 6. 

I hope he can stay.  Cap raises, moving on from Loui (he is easier to move after this season) and some other cap freeing up might do the trick.  When it is time to sign him, Luongo's penalty is gone, which would take care of most of his raise.

I've stopped stressing about salary cap.  It's all too fluid, and the speculation can drive one crazy.  I'll just sit back and (try to) enjoy games.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Kragar said:

7.5 is a far cry from the near 12m you were worried about earlier in this thread.  Barring a big change (either way) in points production, I can see him in the 8 or 9 range.

I trust JB to make the right call.  Trading him might be the way to go, so you suggest, cuz I agree on the value of the bottom 6. 

I hope he can stay.  Cap raises, moving on from Loui (he is easier to move after this season) and some other cap freeing up might do the trick.  When it is time to sign him, Luongo's penalty is gone, which would take care of most of his raise.

I've stopped stressing about salary cap.  It's all too fluid, and the speculation can drive one crazy.  I'll just sit back and (try to) enjoy games.

I said Petey would come in at double digits and though I don't think any player is worth that much, Petey is a legit superstar

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I said Petey would come in at double digits and though I don't think any player is worth that much, Petey is a legit superstar

Dang, you're right.  I woulda sworn you said somewhere that Boeser's salary would double.  My bad.  Not enough sleep, and got confused between the storylines here.

I can see Petey making double digits.  Be harder to get a bridge for him, but I focus on that kind of speculation less than I used to, so I can be way off base on that guess. 

2 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

Im on the fence with Boeser. 

When the going gets tough, and the intensity / tight checking goes up in the playoffs, I'd rather have another Miller than Boeser. Its more so the drive and aggression he needs on both sides of the puck. Petey is small but he's a puck hound. 

Boeser to be successful needs a higher motor on his back checks. Hes like Virtanen without the size or speed on the defensice end. JV used to look lost in his end and has become much better. His size and speed helps. Boeser still looks lost at times. 

Goals are great but when the play intensifies and the scoring goes down, will he become a liability on the ice? 

If I was JB and Green, I would focus on that part of his game amd see he has what it takes before shelling out the dough. 

2 hours ago, Kragar said:

Dang, you're right.  I woulda sworn you said somewhere that Boeser's salary would double.  My bad.  Not enough sleep, and got confused between the storylines here.

I can see Petey making double digits.  Be harder to get a bridge for him, but I focus on that kind of speculation less than I used to, so I can be way off base on that guess. 

Yeah, I don't see a bridge deal for Petey, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Im on the fence with Boeser. 

When the going gets tough, and the intensity / tight checking goes up in the playoffs, I'd rather have another Miller than Boeser. Its more so the drive and aggression he needs on both sides of the puck. Petey is small but he's a puck hound. 

Boeser to be successful needs a higher motor on his back checks. Hes like Virtanen without the size or speed on the defensice end. JV used to look lost in his end and has become much better. His size and speed helps. Boeser still looks lost at times. 

Goals are great but when the play intensifies and the scoring goes down, will he become a liability on the ice? 

If I was JB and Green, I would focus on that part of his game amd see he has what it takes before shelling out the dough. 

For me, Boeser is too easy to neutralize 

9 hours ago, stawns said:

I think the best bet is to wait and see. He is signed for another 3 seasons, correct? If in that time he becomes a 40G scoring  200ft player than a $7-8m per season deal might be warranted. If he remains a 20G scorer without much to offer other than a wicked wrister than you might be right.  Remember this is only his 3rd year in the league and he missed a chunk of his rookie campaign due to a broken back. You act as though he's reached his potential and is on the decline but the reality is that the skies the limit with this kid.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

I think the best bet is to wait and see. He is signed for another 3 seasons, correct? If in that time he becomes a 40G scoring  200ft player than a $7-8m per season deal might be warranted. If he remains a 20G scorer without much to offer other than a wicked wrister than you might be right.  Remember this is only his 3rd year in the league and he missed a chunk of his rookie campaign due to a broken back. You act as though he's reached his potential and is on the decline but the reality is that the skies the limit with this kid.

His offense isn't in question, at all.  The problem, for me, is he's average in every other part of the game and I'd rather see that $8m used for a dman and depth fwd.

I agree there's no rush as he's signed to a palatable deal, currently, so they can wait and see.

Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

For me, Boeser is too easy to neutralize 

sorry I don't buy that,  I am sure glad that Benning is the gm of this team, too many on here think they know whats best for Boeser, it is a joke. when all I am reading from the same posters is that he is not very good. when he is second on the team in scoring only Petey is better. actually he has made strides this year, he is faster, he goes to the dirty areas, there is nothing average about him. 30 teams would chomp at the bit for him.

• Upvote 1

I don't understand some of the thought process on CDC. We have a few players that can put the puck in the, and you want to trade them cause they're " not tough enough". Wouldn't it be fun to have a tough team that can't score? Building a team requires balance, thank God we have people running the team that are trying to do just. Sometimes after reading CDC I feel the need to bang my head on the wall for awhile cause it'll feel good when I stop! Just my thoughts for what they're worth.

Merry Christmas all!

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, 180sret said:

I don't understand some of the thought process on CDC. We have a few players that can put the puck in the, and you want to trade them cause they're " not tough enough". Wouldn't it be fun to have a tough team that can't score? Building a team requires balance, thank God we have people running the team that are trying to do just. Sometimes after reading CDC I feel the need to bang my head on the wall for awhile cause it'll feel good when I stop! Just my thoughts for what they're worth.

Merry Christmas all!

Because offense doesn't win Cups, good team defense does.  If you spend half your cap on a few offensive players, and neglect your d corp and your bottom 6 you're not going to go very far in the playoffs........ask Leaf fans.

• Upvote 1

Oh, I agree you need good team defence, but you still need guys to park the biscuit. Todays cap world means you have a few skilled guys and plug the gaps with gritty guys. Boeser makes us better in that teams have to respect his shot. I think Benning has so far done a good job of fill-ins with guys like Virt, Guadette, Motte. Rooster, Leivo etc. Again, just my opinion. Maybe down the road Brock's place on the team gets revisited, buy I think for the foreseeable future we need what he brings.

• Upvote 3