The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Christmas Report Card (Discussion)

Almost 1/2 Way ( Merry Christmas) Report card

Team...…………......….C+..............Still inconsistent, when on,  looks good, when down, they are real down......young cores do that......better more times than not

Pettersson....................B+.............A great young star, still disappears when checked hard, he is getting graded as a star, he would mark himself harder

Miller.............................A-..............hard working above average player, does not take many shifts off, and has expectations of himself, and is a silent leader 

Horvat...........................B...............Heart on sleeve captain, could use a little snarl once in a while, and hit more. Hard worker! Great on Face Offs

Boeser..........................C+.............What the heck? Seems to just be a passenger on the SS Pettersson, is that all he is? Still a decent offensive player. BUT!?

Pearson........................C+.............A tad inconsistent, but works hard, and has developed chemistry with Horvat.

Sutter............................C...............The offense killer! Hard working journeyman hockey player, he has not shown much leadership, FO percentage has dropped

Virtanen........................B-..............Tuna has taken great strides most nights, but still shows inconsistantcies game to game. Much better over all. Changes games when he shows up 

Gaudette.......................B...............Adam has pushed Sutter down the depth chart, but still has to work on his defense and FO's.......solid offensive game, part of the core going forward

Roussel.........................B-..............Great team player, and shades of Burrows without the offense, he gives his all

Lievo.............................C...............I am not a big believer, many are

Motte.............................B...............For what Motte is, he is awesome, hard working, and honest in his efforts

Beagle...........................C+.............Almost gave him a C, but his FO's are great, and gets a lot of Defensive zone starts. Solid leadership

Schaller.........................C+.............Way better than last year. Honest and hard working

Baertschi.......................C-.............He has been passed by the pack, and having travelled through waivers twice, shows Green and Benning's decision to send him down

MacEwen......................C..............Only up for a cup of coffee, but he needs to do more with his oppertunities  

Graovac........................C...............Plays a hard and honest game, needs to get healthy and play more. I actually liked his efforts, almost a C+

Eriksson........................C...............His defensive play is actually quite good, but at 6 Million per, he needs to give way more....even another couple "ways" I in there

Ferland..........................C+............We have not seen his best, but when healthy has played well, and the more he plays the better he looks

Edler..............................B+.............you never know how good he is until he is gone. Plays a big game, and big minutes...almost gets an A-

Hughes..........................A+.............Quinn has done more than should be expected of him. Never takes a night off, and plays at an elite level. Our 1st number 1 Dman

Tanev.............................B...............What a warrior, hard working player, who is counted on to shut all the big scorers down....for the most part he does

Benn..............................C...............Honestly, I expected more. Honest, hard playing Dman, but I expected some offense

Myers.............................C+............I almost gave him a C, as he does not seem to drive any offense.......maybe I expected to much. Not aggressive for a big man

Fantenberg....................C+............. I almost gave him an B-, and should get it. He has played well in Edler's absence.

Stetcher.........................C+.............Say what you want about Mighty Mouse, but what an honest hard working player, and never complains! Great glue guy!

Markstrom......................A+.............Is he the best goalie in the league, no, but he is our MVP or at least Co MVP with Hughes. Great leader

Demko...........................C+.............I would have given him a B earlier in the season, but he has tailed off a bit. Is he our future? Hmmm?

DiPietro..........................C...............A work in progress, and unproven. Is he our future? 

Green.............................C+.............I like his message and demeanor, but he is in charge of his Assistant Coaches, and I am not sure about them. He alone is a B

Assistants.......................D...............I just can't get warmed up on their decisions, IMO very inconsistent, and predicable PP and PK. The talent makes both look better.

Well, that is what I see, when I watch the games.........I would love to hear your opinion.......am I wrong? Too hard of a critic?

In general, I love the team make up and where it is going!

• Like 2
  • Wat 2

i don’t disagree with your ranking except when you put schaller, beagle and motte together, that line becomes a b+. 

when jake hits and uses his speed, that line becomes a b line. 

unfortunately the top 3 lines don’t always play to their abilities. 

i’ld rather rate their play. like passing, receiver passes, defensive ability, finishing checks and hitting the net with shots. 

those are the things that define how our team plays.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i don’t disagree with your ranking except when you put schaller, beagle and motte together, that line becomes a b+. 

when jake hits and uses his speed, that line becomes a b line. 

unfortunately the top 3 lines don’t always play to their abilities. 

i’ld rather rate their play. like passing, receiver passes, defensive ability, finishing checks and hitting the net with shots. 

those are the things that define how our team plays.

Thanks joe

I get what you are saying and sometimes that is how it is, meaning the sum is greater than its parts

I guess where I am looking is to see if others are seeing what I am seeing individually.......

Certainly, when everyone is clicking, the lines all seem to be excellent, but again

within those lines certain things happen...on the good days and on the bad days

Just curious and thought I would share, what I am seeing and find out what you guys are seeing

Merry Christmas big fellow

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

like they keep records of face off wins and percentage, i wish they kept records of who connects most often on passes or shots hitting the net and finished checks? 

I guess that is where us old guys use the eye test..........when I can find my glasses! :picard:

PS..........You can find the FO wins and percentages at NHL.Com

Edited by janisahockeynut

I'll bite (note mine are also somewhat relative to expectations):

Team...…………......….B..............Not consistent enough, but still better than last year. Not the big improvement I was excited for in late October, but a more realistic scenario of on the egdge of playoff contention.

Pettersson....................A.............I expected him to improve only slightly, which is pretty much what he's done. A bit above a point a game so far.

Miller.............................A+..............I predicted about 55 points, so he's on pace to smash both that and his career high.

Horvat...........................B+...............Pretty similar production to last year. Continues to be amazing on face-offs. Par for the course at this point.

Boeser..........................A.............Despite the negative reports from some fans, he's producing at a career-high pace and if he can remain healthy, will smash both his assist and point bests.

Pearson........................A.............I was hoping he could mantain a 40-50 point level and he's actually done it so far, to my excitement.

Sutter............................B-............His offense is underrated, but has also recently fallen off (might have to do with injuries as well).

Virtanen........................A..............On pace for his first 20-goal and 40-point season. Continues to slowly get better and better each year.

Gaudette.......................A-...............Did not expect him to be so strong offensively so far. Doesn't get an A because his defense is lacking.

Roussel.........................B..............Hard to give him a grade given his limited action, but he's been solid so far. Takes a few too many penalties, but he's a heart and soul guy that gets the team going.

Lievo.............................A.............. Already set a career high in assists and was on pace to rival his 14 goals from last year as well.

Motte.............................C+..............Can't seem to score points this year, but is a good energy guy.

Beagle...........................C+.............Good leader, great faceoffs, and great defense, but his offense is getting worse as he ages.

Schaller.........................C.............Definitely better than last year, but has fallen off a bit recently again.

Baertschi.......................N/A...........I'm in the crowd that thinks he's still an NHL guy and don't think he's been given a fair shake. He'll get another shot somewhere else hopefully.

MacEwen......................C..............Provides some energy, but isn't hugely impactful.

Graovac........................C...............Good hard play and surprisingly good on the PP, but not a super complete game.

Eriksson........................C-...............Solid defensive play, but brutally anemic offensive play.

Ferland..........................C............Haven't seen much of him, but he leaves some to be desired for me.

Edler..............................B+.............Solid and arguably still our best d-man. Makes the occasional defensive gaff, but is generally a smart player.

Hughes..........................A+.............Is pushing for the "title" of our best d-man as a rookie. The best rookie defenseman we've had by a country mile. On pace to put up borderline unheard of numbers for a rookie defenseman.

Tanev.............................A-...............Playing with Hughes seems to have revitalized him a bit. Better offensive year than usual.

Benn..............................C...............Offense is poor and defense isn't amazing either.

Myers.............................C..............Surprisingly good defense sometimes, but does make some big mistakes too. Offense is less than expected.

Fantenberg....................C+............. Better than expected. Good #7 guy.

Stetcher.........................C+.............Par for the course. Less exposed as a bottom pairing defenseman.

Markstrom......................A-.............Great goaltending. Sometimes struggles with consistency, but overall has been an above average starter for us.

Demko...........................C+............Started great, but has fallen off lately. I expect him to pick it up eventually.

DiPietro..........................N/A..............8 minutes isn't enough to grade him.

I'm an optimist, sue me.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

like they keep records of face off wins and percentage, i wish they kept records of who connects most often on passes or shots hitting the net and finished checks? 

the game summary has Shots, Misses and Blocked shots as well as Hits.

It does not have passes made or missed or picked off or fly bys

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Boeser gets a C+?  He is the 5th highest scoring RW in the NHL.  So if he was 10th he would get an F?

I hear what he is saying. He might be putting up points but something seems...off about his game. We've seen him with more gusto before.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Boeser gets a C+?  He is the 5th highest scoring RW in the NHL.  So if he was 10th he would get an F?

I get what your saying and I do like him, but he is just off a little...…..some passes, skating

Yes, you are right...….and I am not saying he is bad

But I expect more in his play

I could get some points playing with Pettersson

Even if he bounced them off butt

A little off in examples...but take a look at Dave Balon's points, and he was terrible

70-71............36 goals

Didn't agree with all because I feel the grades have to be relevant to the players expectations (e.g. Fantenberg for me is an A)

Pettersson....................B+............. Points are there but complete play wise he was having a harder time the first part of the season. Has been coming on and helping Miller drive the lotto line lately. Scary to think how good he can be.

Miller.............................A+.............. Blew past my expectations so far. Great leader, drives play, just an overall awesome addition.

Horvat...........................C+ ............... Yes Bo's our heart and soul but his game hasn't been close to what is expected of him. Not concerned, he'll turn it around.

Boeser..........................C+............. Cruise control for most of the season with some good moments in the latter half. Hoping he turns it around and starts driving play like elite players are expected to.

Pearson........................B............. Inconsistent for sure but as mentioned, works hard, good two way guy and is a good piece on a line with Horvat.

Sutter............................C+............... Needs to stay healthy. I've liked how Sutter has looked so far in the games he has played.

Virtanen........................B+............... Seems like he has finally taken the next step. Hoping he keeps it up and this is the start of what is to come. Could keep growing into his ceiling.

Gaudette.......................B+............... The offensive was a nice surprise, I didn't think it would translate as well as it has. The D game needs to get there.

Roussel.........................B-.............. I have all of the time in the world for players who wear their heart on their sleeve.

Leivo.............................B............... I have moments where I like him and moments where I don't. If he can keep growing and be more consistent, could be a solid middle six option moving forward.

Motte.............................A............... He is the core of the fourth line. Night and day difference when the fourth line doesn't have him there.

Beagle...........................C+............. D game is there but the line has had some rough games. Need more offence from him.

Schaller.........................C+............. Hot start but now lacks the offence just like Beagle. Solid defensively.

Eriksson........................C...............Honestly I haven't hated him. Good guy and has had some good games, but in a bottom 6 roll needs to use his body more and in a top 6 roll needs to score. Is doing neither.

Ferland..........................N/A............ Not judging Ferland until he has a solid stretch. Once the sickness was going away you could see the impact his play was making. Love the hits.

Edler..............................B+............. As OP said, you miss them when they're gone.

Hughes..........................A+............. Nothing needs to be said.

Tanev.............................B............... Please stay healthy. Big difference maker.

Benn..............................B-............... A little rough patch, however, has played well overall. Needs a little more offence.

Myers.............................B+............ Big impact on the blue line. I truly believe that having Myers has helped to keep Tanev in the line up because of the workload spread. Needs to get going offensively but has been good defensively on the whole. Puck movement is great.

Fantenberg....................A............. Playing like a top 6 d when he was signed as a 7th. Has been great defensively while providing a physical presence.

Stetcher.........................C+............. Can't complain about Troy. Hard worker but I can see him being expendable soon enough to bring up Rafferty.

Markstrom......................A-............. Only a couple of poor games, however, circumstances may have played into it. Has played great.

Demko...........................B+............. Only a couple of poor games as well, developing nicely.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Sure but C+ is ridiculous. He is paid to provide offence.

That is why I am asking Dixon

I don't have any problems with you disagreeing

But what mark would you give him? and why?

Edited by janisahockeynut

6 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Team...…………......….C+..............Still inconsistent, when on,  looks good, when down, they are real down......young cores do that......better more times than not

Pettersson....................B+.............A great young star, still disappears when checked hard, he is getting graded as a star, he would mark himself harder

Miller.............................A-..............hard working above average player, does not take many shifts off, and has expectations of himself, and is a silent leader 

Horvat...........................B...............Heart on sleeve captain, could use a little snarl once in a while, and hit more. Hard worker! Great on Face Offs

Boeser..........................C+.............What the heck? Seems to just be a passenger on the SS Pettersson, is that all he is? Still a decent offensive player. BUT!?

Pearson........................C+.............A tad inconsistent, but works hard, and has developed chemistry with Horvat.

Sutter............................C...............The offense killer! Hard working journeyman hockey player, he has not shown much leadership, FO percentage has dropped

Virtanen........................B-..............Tuna has taken great strides most nights, but still shows inconsistantcies game to game. Much better over all. Changes games when he shows up 

Gaudette.......................B...............Adam has pushed Sutter down the depth chart, but still has to work on his defense and FO's.......solid offensive game, part of the core going forward

Roussel.........................B-..............Great team player, and shades of Burrows without the offense, he gives his all

Lievo.............................C...............I am not a big believer, many are

Motte.............................B...............For what Motte is, he is awesome, hard working, and honest in his efforts

Beagle...........................C+.............Almost gave him a C, but his FO's are great, and gets a lot of Defensive zone starts. Solid leadership

Schaller.........................C+.............Way better than last year. Honest and hard working

Baertschi.......................C-.............He has been passed by the pack, and having travelled through waivers twice, shows Green and Benning's decision to send him down

MacEwen......................C..............Only up for a cup of coffee, but he needs to do more with his oppertunities  

Graovac........................C...............Plays a hard and honest game, needs to get healthy and play more. I actually liked his efforts, almost a C+

Eriksson........................C...............His defensive play is actually quite good, but at 6 Million per, he needs to give way more....even another couple "ways" I in there

Ferland..........................C+............We have not seen his best, but when healthy has played well, and the more he plays the better he looks

Edler..............................B+.............you never know how good he is until he is gone. Plays a big game, and big minutes...almost gets an A-

Hughes..........................A+.............Quinn has done more than should be expected of him. Never takes a night off, and plays at an elite level. Our 1st number 1 Dman

Tanev.............................B...............What a warrior, hard working player, who is counted on to shut all the big scorers down....for the most part he does

Benn..............................C...............Honestly, I expected more. Honest, hard playing Dman, but I expected some offense

Myers.............................C+............I almost gave him a C, as he does not seem to drive any offense.......maybe I expected to much. Not aggressive for a big man

Fantenberg....................C+............. I almost gave him an B-, and should get it. He has played well in Edler's absence.

Stetcher.........................C+.............Say what you want about Mighty Mouse, but what an honest hard working player, and never complains! Great glue guy!

Markstrom......................A+.............Is he the best goalie in the league, no, but he is our MVP or at least Co MVP with Hughes. Great leader

Demko...........................C+.............I would have given him a B earlier in the season, but he has tailed off a bit. Is he our future? Hmmm?

DiPietro..........................C...............A work in progress, and unproven. Is he our future? 

Green.............................C+.............I like his message and demeanor, but he is in charge of his Assistant Coaches, and I am not sure about them. He alone is a B

Assistants.......................D...............I just can't get warmed up on their decisions, IMO very inconsistent, and predicable PP and PK. The talent makes both look better.

Well, that is what I see, when I watch the games.........I would love to hear your opinion.......am I wrong? Too hard of a critic?

In general, I love the team make up and where it is going!

this is pretty good, 

however you seem to value broken players more than the ones that actually play.

Motte ........11 GP - 2 pts B

Rouster ....10 GP - 6 pts B-

Ferland ....14 GP - 5 pts C+

Sutter .......22 GP -8 pts C

Baertschi ....6 GP - 2 pts C- (Not even on the team)

Those guys combine for less points than Pearson and 4 of them combine for less than Jake or Leivo.

Motte and Roussell are one injury away from being labelled injury prone while the other 3 already are.

Other wise I give you 2 thumbs up, a merry Christmas and a hopeful New Year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I get what your saying and I do like him, but he is just off a little...…..some passes, skating

Yes, you are right...….and I am not saying he is bad

But I expect more in his play

I could get some points playing with Pettersson

Even if he bounced them off butt

A little off in examples...but take a look at Dave Balon's points, and he was terrible

70-71............36 goals

I think Dave Balon had MS but was undiagnosed or hidden.

I can't say I remember the 70-71 season but I'd rather have kept Gary Doak.

Brock reminds me of Phil Kessel, he'll get his points but never drive the bus.

if we could trade Brock for earlyish 2 firsts, I'd take it, or Domi straight up. 

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1