The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Russia vs. Canada | Group B | Dec. 28, 2019 | 10:00 AM PT

Rate this topic

He could have taken it off as soon as he saw the opponent’s making a stink, but didn’t. 

I don't even care about the behaviour. Just chimed in to say something about the phoney, conscripted apology letter. 

Liar. Not cool. 

Not a good look for Canada. 

Wonder what this does to Hunter and his legacy. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

He could have taken it off as soon as he saw the opponent’s making a stink, but didn’t. 

I don't even care about the behaviour. Just chimed in to say something about the phoney, conscripted apology letter. 

Liar. Not cool. 

Not a good look for Canada. 

Wonder what this does to Hunter and his legacy. 

Hockey is about playing the right way on and off the ice.  Hayton’s teammates know exactly what was going on, and how can they trust him now?  He’s proven he will not only lie to save his own skin, but that he puts himself ahead of his mates.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Hockey is about playing the right way on and off the ice.  Hayton’s teammates know exactly what was going on, and how can they trust him now?  He’s proven he will not only lie to save his own skin, but that he puts himself ahead of his mates.  

He shamed us all, in a sense. 

The guys beside him should have also knocked it off his head for him. 

What a sideshow. 

I hope they use the distraction in their favour. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Happy to hear Lafreniere is not ruined, maybe even able to return in The tournament. 

This is why I love the world juniors from one game to the next, emotions, drama and lessons learned. I know our team will learn from this loss. Hayton needs to grow up and be the Captain. If I’m Hunter I’m taking that kid aside and having a Father Son talk over a meal tonight. 

Time for some of the players to step it up against Germany. !   Let’s Go Boys. 

49 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hayton knew exactly what he was doing.  Now his apology sounds like a coward trying to hide behind a lie.  And he’s our friggin’ Captain!  He should have owned up to his mistake, and said he was pissed, and embarrassed by the Russian team, and wanted some sense of revenge, so he left his helmet on during their anthem.  Then he resigns from the team.  Now he looks like a little coward.  It’s a VERY embarrassing day for team Canada.  So glad we have Hughes, and not this coward. 

For sure, Alf.  

I can stand behind, “Show me a good loser and I’ll show you a loser.”

But this is kinda wishy washy.  Honestly, the Canadians should be pissed off and embarrassed after that performance - none more than the captain. Unpopular opinion I guess, but I can take that.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

For sure, Alf.  

I can stand behind, “Show me a good loser and I’ll show you a loser.”

But this is kinda wishy washy.  Honestly, the Canadians should be pissed off and embarrassed after that performance - none more than the captain. Unpopular opinion I guess, but I can take that.  

Absolutely our guys are pissed off and embarrassed.  They are the best of the best.  However, the Captain needs to represent his teammates and the country.  Now he doubled down on his actions by lying about why he didn’t take off his helmet.  His teammates know he lied.  It’s going to be hard for our guys to trust Hayton now.  

You win and lose with class. Not removing the helmet during any country’s national anthem is not acceptable behaviour at the international stage. Anyway, I am glad Arizona picked him at 5 and we got a much better player and person in Quinn Hughes.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hayton knew exactly what he was doing.  Now his apology sounds like a coward trying to hide behind a lie.  And he’s our friggin’ Captain!  He should have owned up to his mistake, and said he was pissed, and embarrassed by the Russian team, and wanted some sense of revenge, so he left his helmet on during their anthem.  Then he resigns from the team.  Now he looks like a little coward.  It’s a VERY embarrassing day for team Canada.  So glad we have Hughes, and not this coward. 

One thing i will applaud is that other Canadians and even the media are calling Hayton out on it. Good on Canadians for realizing the disrespect of the actions even if it is one of their own who committed it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

One thing i will applaud is that other Canadians and even the media are calling Hayton out on it. Good on Canadians for realizing the disrespect of the actions even if it is one of their own who committed it.

Coyotes picked a coward and a loser.  Has there ever been another Captain  of team Canada be such a coward, liar? 

15 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Stop caring about Canada is this tourney a few years ago, I am only interested in how the Canuck prospects do.  TC really needs to put people in that knows what they're doing and until the WHL gets more representation I don't care how Eastern Canada does.  I don't know the roster makeup but I know who's in charge, this isn't the OHL and that Leaf reject needs to go.  My earliest memory of hockey was him running over Pierre Turgeon during a celly, classless.

When Sutter and the boys won 5 straight the east couldn't stand it. To many WHL kids. Canada hasn't done much since. That aside I think there is a problem with the elite teams. They pump these kids full of media hype to sell more stuff. Young and impressionable.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

When Sutter and the boys won 5 straight the east couldn't stand it. To many WHL kids. Canada hasn't done much since. That aside I think there is a problem with the elite teams. They pump these kids full of media hype to sell more stuff. Young and impressionable.  

I'm not a fan of the selections regardless of what league they play. Every year it seems as if they everything the roster. Corrado left off back in the day. Woo left off last year. Then this year they opt to roster bahl... the 6'7" 240 player. On big ice.

SMRT

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, BCNeil said:

Hopefully team Canada removes the C.  Maturity should be a key asset.  This is an entitled little boy.

They published that statement where he says he got caught in the moment and forgot - it seems to suggest that they believe him.  They have a PR team - he's likely not the one that wrote that statement.  

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

Wow so many so easily offended. 

Oops that just offended the easily offended. 

I cant believe people even care lol. I guess if there’s nothing to cry about Twitter would die. 

Everyone should publicly lynch and humiliate this player from the sitting position on there mobile devices because they can. :frantic:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Hayton is yet another coddled punk that can’t handle adversity when it hits him in the face 

a coach looks at guys like this and they pout and cry that they are being abused 

got yourself a real winner there Coyotes 

if he has an issue losing he needs to play better not act like classless entitled punk he lacked sportsmanship and embarrassed the country and every classy Canadian player that came before him 

you are a tiny insignificant spec on the game Hayton, don’t forget that 

do the classy thing and quit the team, we don’t want you on it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Lost in the moment”? When the Russian captain skates over ? Several Canadian players saw him and they did nothing to intervene. In fact they chirped at him 

I am ashamed of the team as a whole and if you take a close look at the replay you will see

This  team deserves  to be out of the medals and go home with its tail between its legs 

worst team we have ever assembled. Skill and class together 

a true Daie Hunter reflection 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1