The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Russia vs. Canada | Group B | Dec. 28, 2019 | 10:00 AM PT

Rate this topic

I think we're crucifying Hayton far too much.   The Russians weren't exactly acting with class themselves hot-dogging after the sixth goal.  We also don't see a call for Russia to kick off the twerps who refused to shake his hand.

I don't think Hayton should have stooped to their level but this doesn't happen if the Russians had conducted themselvrs appropriately.  I have zero respect for those clowns as men and I can't blame Hayton for sending a message that the way the Russians were acting was simply disgraceful.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I think we're crucifying Hayton far too much.   The Russians weren't exactly acting with class themselves hot-dogging after the sixth goal.  We also don't see a call for Russia to kick off the twerps who refused to shake his hand.

I don't think Hayton should have stooped to their level but this doesn't happen if the Russians had conducted themselvrs appropriately.  I have zero respect for those clowns as men and I can't blame Hayton for sending a message that the way the Russians were acting was simply disgraceful.

Don’t agree at all 

there is simply a huge difference between celebrating goals, something that has been done in every sport since the beginning of time (in varying degrees) and taking their helmets off during a country’s anthem, something that has been done since the beginning of hockey. 

As for not shaking his hand, can you blame them. Would you shake the hand of someone that just disrespected the Canadian anthem? Didn’t think so 

don’t put this on the Russians. They kicked our ass and they had earned the right to celebrate. 

put this on our classless professional hockey player playing in a junior tournament. And people say he is just a kid? He is old enough to be a pro....too bad he can’t act like one 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Don’t agree at all 

there is simply a huge difference between celebrating goals, something that has been done in every sport since the beginning of time (in varying degrees) and taking their helmets off during a country’s anthem, something that has been done since the beginning of hockey. 

As for not shaking his hand, can you blame them. Would you shake the hand of someone that just disrespected the Canadian anthem? Didn’t think so 

don’t put this on the Russians. They kicked our ass and they had earned the right to celebrate. 

put this on our classless professional hockey player playing in a junior tournament. And people say he is just a kid? He is old enough to be a pro....too bad he can’t act like one 

Yeah, we're going to have to disagree because I don't think excessive celebrations in a blowout are acceptable.  The Russians earned zero respect with their lack of respect for the sport and Hayton gave them what they earned.  They're really lucky all that happened in retaliation was the anthem thing.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 1

OSTRAVA, Czech Republic — Alexis Lafreniere will miss Team Canada’s next game against Germany on Monday, but the team says his status for the remainder of the World Junior Championship is up in the air.

Team Canada assistant coach Andre Tourigny said that the MRI on Lafreniere’s left knee did not reveal any fractures or torn ligaments. The MRI was conducted at an Ostrava hospital, with an initial prognosis provided by Team Canada physician Dr. Ed Berdusco, before the images were sent back to Calgary to be further reviewed by doctors working with Hockey Canada.

The projected No. 1 overall pick in June’s NHL Draft attended Canada’s practice on Sunday wearing a brace under his street clothes. He did not require crutches to get around.

“We have nothing firm,” Tourigny said. “We don’t know yet, but he’s walking right now so that’s positive. The doc[tor] said it’s positive news that we’ve gotten so far.”

Tourigny told reporters in French that Lafreniere will not face Germany on Monday (8:30 a.m. ET on TSN 1/4/5), but he has not been ruled out for the tournament.

https://www.tsn.ca/alexis-lafreniere-s-status-at-the-world-juniors-remains-up-in-the-air-1.1419624

• Thanks 1

People really overreacting over hockey, here. And especially over kids actions on something that wouldn’t register AT ALL anywhere else in society. 

Now, as someone that played hockey as a kid/teenager, and against other countries (and specifically Russia a few times), there’s a few things you know:

1. Remove your helmet during anthems. Always.

2. You celebrate every goal in tournaments. 

Again, while I think people who are racking Hayton over the coals is excessive and disappointing, on an individual level (ie: player), Hayton knew what he was doing. He should have known better. But people are overreacting (ie: the public). He’s a teenager. His coaches, Team Canada, and I’m sure the Coyotes have and will talk to him about it. Learning experience. But please, people, give the KID a friggin break.

Now, as for people saying, “He only did it because the Russians were celebrating. So it’s fine.” That’s nonsense. This isn’t the Russian players fault for celebrating goals in a hockey tournament. They’re allowed to, and it’s expected.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Monty said:

People really overreacting over hockey, here. And especially over kids actions on something that wouldn’t register AT ALL anywhere else in society. 

Now, as someone that played hockey as a kid/teenager, and against other countries (and specifically Russia a few times), there’s a few things you know:

Again, while I think people who are racking Hayton over the coals is excessive and disappointing, on an individual level (ie: player), Hayton knew what he was doing. He should have known better. But people are overreacting (ie: the public). He’s a teenager. His coaches, Team Canada, and I’m sure the Coyotes have and will talk to him about it. Learning experience. But please, people, give the KID a friggin break.

Now, as for people saying, “He only did it because the Russians were celebrating. So it’s fine.” That’s nonsense. This isn’t the Russian players fault for celebrating goals in a hockey tournament. They’re allowed to, and it’s expected.

Interesting the commercials during the Russia v US game (TSN) are all about sportsmanship and Hayton is in one of them.  

13 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The overreactions to the helmet thing are really something xD

Yes, it was stupid and disrespectful, but Jesus Christ, a few of the posts here are just idiotic and, honestly, much worse than anything Hayton himself did. 

The irony eh?

People complaining about respect, but don't show any of their own.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

, a few of the posts here are just idiotic and, honestly, much worse than anything Hayton himself did. 

This for sure.

Team Canada: Barrett, what you did was disrespectful. You know that. Whether it was intentional or not doesn’t matter, you need to apologize publicly. Afterwards, we consider the matter closed and we’ll move on.

19 year old teenager, Barrett Hayton: You’re absolutely right. 

*Issues Apology*

Various reactions from 30-70 year olds around the Internet:

“Thank goodness we don’t have this KID.”

“What a classless loser.“

“Strip him of the captaincy. Shouldn’t suit up for Canada going forward.”

”That apology is a lie.”

“He shamed us all.”

“Coyotes picked a coward.”

“Coddled punk.”

Adults who hide behind a keyboard and say these things about a kid are the ones who should be ashamed.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, Monty said:

Agree fully. Seems like the only ones that have played hockey appreciate what went down

i played ti a very senior level and would never pull a stunt like that. I too was a kid 

I do disagree on the kid comment. He signed a pro contract. He knows what he did and he knows how Russia and their captain reacted and he still didn’t smarten up 

kid has issues and now he is going to learn the hard way 

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah, we're going to have to disagree because I don't think excessive celebrations in a blowout are acceptable.  The Russians earned zero respect with their lack of respect for the sport and Hayton gave them what they earned.  They're really lucky all that happened in relation was the anthem thing.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you with regards to the celebrations. The unwritten rule is when that happens it’s answered to on the ice with physical play or a direct challenge as a response not by the punk move that was pulled by Hayton AFTER the game 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with you with regards to the celebrations. The unwritten rule is when that happens it’s answered to on the ice with physical play or a direct challenge as a response not by the punk move that was pulled by Hayton AFTER the game 

Agreed; I would have loved to see that.  The problem is we're crucifying Hayton while giving the Russians a free pass for their own classless behaviour.  They are very lucky that clown didn't get sent off on a stretcher; I was implying that the code would call for that in my earlier comment.

Edited by King Heffy

Just now, King Heffy said:

Agreed; I would have loved to see that.  The problem is we're crucifying Hayton while giving the Russians a free pass for their own classless behaviour.  They are very lucky that clown didn't get sent off on a stretcher.

All I am saying is on the degree of classless acts scale plus the fact Hayton’s classless act occurred after the game makes the 2 incidents on opposite ends of the scale 

I didn’t see Hayton handing out any punishment to the Russians while play was on, did you? It’s actually legal and people would have respected his fire

instead he pulls the coward’s act 

19 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

All I am saying is on the degree of classless acts scale plus the fact Hayton’s classless act occurred after the game makes the 2 incidents on opposite ends of the scale 

I didn’t see Hayton handing out any punishment to the Russians while play was on, did you? It’s actually legal and people would have respected his fire

instead he pulls the coward’s act 

I think both are equally classless.  Hayton gave the Russians exactly how much respect they earned.    Their fans are even worse; if you ever see a tournament overseas, you will have little doubt as to whether Russia or the USA is our biggest rival.   The Russians also showed zero class by refusing to shake his hand, but that's being conveniently ignored.

I'm also coming from a very emotional point of view because the celly happened directly in front of me.  Multiple people around me were giving the Russian player the finger after it happened.  Not saying what Hayton did was right, but I understand the emotion that caused it.

Edited by King Heffy

33 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I think both are equally classless.  Hayton gave the Russians exactly how much respect they earned.    Their fans are even worse; if you ever see a tournament overseas, you will have little doubt as to whether Russia or the USA is our biggest rival.   The Russians also showed zero class by refusing to shake his hand, but that's being conveniently ignored.

I'm also coming from a very emotional point of view because the celly happened directly in front of me.  Multiple people around me were giving the Russian player the finger after it happened.  Not saying what Hayton did was right, but I understand the emotion that caused it.

We can disagree 

but man I have no clue how you even remotely compare a celly to not taking your helmet off for a country’s anthem