The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Markus Granlund, Brandon Manning, Eric Comrie, Andy Andreoff

Some are disappointed due to the asset giving up for him.  Sure, Hunter Shinkurak is in the KHL... but considering it was a 1st rounder used.... it's poor asset management.  

Better to trade a quantifiable asset (draft picks) for a known asset rather than having the pick depreciate and then trading it away for something less.  

• Wat 8

26 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Some are disappointed due to the asset giving up for him.  Sure, Hunter Shinkurak is in the KHL... but considering it was a 1st rounder used.... it's poor asset management.  

Better to trade a quantifiable asset (draft picks) for a known asset rather than having the pick depreciate and then trading it away for something less.  

Is that why the JT Miller trade was such a steal for JB?  We got a fabulous player, in his prime, and on a great contract for a pick that might never be anything?  

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

Sucks for Granlund and I know people have a sweet spot for him but he just isn’t a very good hockey player. 

Granny filled a role when the team was collecting draft picks and playing like s@&$.  He switched up his game to a more defensive role as younger and better players started joining the team.

Yeah, he wasn't a great player, but he was a hard worker and did his best.  He will probably end up playing in his homeland and enjoy a very good salary, doing what he loves to do.  Better situation than most folks, I would think.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

No that is incorrect.

Benning saw shinkaruk developing and maturing, Jim's scouting eye said move him.

Benning got granlund who almost scored 20g one year. 

Does shinkaruk have 20 nhl goals in his career? No. 

Will shinkaruk score 20g in a season? Never.

Benning traded a draft pick for granlund.

That draft pick will never amount to anything at the nhl level.

I'm just saying that picks are almost always worth more than prospects, thus it's better to trade a pick (higher value) to get a prospect (lower value) than selling an asset at a loss to try to get another prospect to break even.  

• Haha 1
  • Wat 3

Just now, GhostsOf1994 said:

No.

Would you trade podz for a 1st rounder this deadline?

Teams want more for a prospect they have been developing, See Virtanen for example.

A blue chipper like say evan bouchard out of Edmonton, Is he worth less then a 1st rounder?

Try getting him out of coil land and its gonna be a 1st plus a prospect and a later pick.

But draft picks are more valuable then prospects?

A draft pick is a potential lottery ticket you found on the street. You didnt pay for that ticket but you sure as hell will take the jackpot(the potential player) 

A player is a known commodity, you know what he will eventually be or is.

Outside blue chipper or A or B prospects draft picks do not have the same value as a nhl or prospect player.

Would you trade OJ for a 1st rounder?  Yes

Would you trade JV for a 1st rounder?  Yes

Why?  Both worth less than what was used to acquire them.  

There are a few factors when figuring out their "market value".... age, injuries, current development, and how other teams view that prospect.  Toronto doesn't have a need for player like Demko... thus they probably value him less than OJ, as the latter can address a team deficiency more than the other.  The Oilers would rather have Demko than OJ... as one needs goaltender more.  

To use a business analogy.... drafts are like cash and prospects are like stocks.  Once in a while you may invest in a Google or Amazon and win big... and other times you may invest in year 2000 Yahoo! or a 2017 WeWorks.  In the end, cash is still king.  

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Would you trade OJ for a 1st rounder?  Yes

Would you trade JV for a 1st rounder?  Yes

Those questions make no sense in my opinion as that first rounder could be 1st overall or 31st overall.

I would trade OJ for a top 3 pick. Otherwise I would stay the course and let him continue to develop.

I would trade Virtanen only for a very high pick....again maybe top 3 pick. Otherwise I love how he plays and his recent development.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I'm just saying that picks are almost always worth more than prospects, thus it's better to trade a pick (higher value) to get a prospect (lower value) than selling an asset at a loss to try to get another prospect to break even.  

How does this make any sense?  

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

No that is incorrect.

Benning saw shinkaruk developing and maturing, Jim's scouting eye said move him.

Benning got granlund who almost scored 20g one year. 

Does shinkaruk have 20 nhl goals in his career? No. 

Will shinkaruk score 20g in a season? Never.

Benning traded a draft pick for granlund.

That draft pick will never amount to anything at the nhl level.

Technically speaking, neither has Granlund.

Granlund is like the swiss army knives of hockey players.  Can do alot of things but nothing particularly outstanding.  He was kind of like a poor man's Higgins.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan