The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 28, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Full marks to Markstrom, he put on the clinic Quick used to put on

Let's douse some Flames and make it five!

2 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Important win by the boys in a 4 point game. The goal scoring was there (thanks Quick), but we aren’t going to win many games giving up 50 shots and being outshot 2:1. ...

40 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Good call tonight to start Marky. He was sharp when the team was half asleep coming off the break. Hopefully it's a wake-up call for tomorrow and assuming Demko will be starting to give him more support. That Miller trade continues to be a great acquisition nearly 40 games into the season.

33 minutes ago, spook007 said:

What a game by Marky.... Talk about finally breaking through for good.

He carries the team on his back night after night... reminds me of the early Luongo years.

EP is pure gold and great to see Jake continue his goal scoring form...

My summary:

1. A lot of game summaries this season start with "great game by Marky", "Marky steals the game", etc. This is another. Markstrom is the big story again tonight. I have often repeated the old hockey adage that "most nights the team with the better goalie wins", and that was especially true tonight.

2. LA does take a lot of shots and does not always wait for high danger opportunities. But Natural Stat Trick has the high danger chances at 19 to 8 for LA tonight.

3. Aside from Marky, i think EP had a great game. Elliotte Friedman apparently said that EP was quiet in the first two periods. I disagree. EP made a great play on the Motte goal, almost scored on a breakaway, and made some very nice set-ups. He also made a lot of good defensive plays.

4. Virtanen played a very good first period (unlike the rest of the skaters) and scored a very nice goal. The later periods were up and down, but he had a solid game overall.

5. On the negative side, the Canucks had another sluggish start, with no shots until past the halfway point of the first period (and were being outshot 9-0 at that point). I hope it was just taking time to get back into things after the Christmas break. But it has happened a few times this year. As others have commented, that won't fly against Calgary. Let's hope, as Theo says, that the team will be awake against Calgary on Sunday.

6. The Horvat line had a really tough assignment, playing shutdown against Kopitar. At times I thought Horvat was just barely hanging on but his Corsi numbers were not bad. I continue to be impressed by how Louie avoids contact but that line did its job.

7. The line that was really buried in Corsi numbers was Beagle, Schaller, and Motte, but that is distorted a bit by having a large number of D-zone starts. And Motte's goal (from EP) was huge.

8. As others have mentioned, it is a puzzle as to how the D can give up so many shots. (They also blocked a lot of shots.) I thought that Edler was good (again) and Hughes continued to be impressive. Myers struggled a bit tonight and I thought Fantenberg struggled at times.

9. The Canucks are back in the final playoff spot in the Conference after looking like they were out of the race two weeks again. That is a nice turnaround, but I think the key test is against Calgary on Sunday. A win in that game would be big statement. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, J-23 said:

True but he is now 30, and will more than likely demand a big contract. Lot of guys prime usually ends in their early 30’s.

If if we had the money I would have definitely went after him.

Rather invest time and money into Hughes now.

Don’t disagree with any of that. 

I wasn't angling for a trade or anything like that, just making a comment about DD’s hockey skills.  

• Cheers 3

On 12/28/2019 at 11:36 PM, ABNucksfan said:

Going out on a limb and gunna say buzzsaw didn't play any kind of real competitive hockey. 

No, I was a competitive swimmer and went to the BC Championships where I did great... 0.15 secs off the times for the National team qualifiers.

Also played hockey up to age 10, but since my parents didn't have the cash to spend on the gear, I couldn't pursue it.

But I've been around buddies who played the game, and also in my job as a news/sports cameraman to know when a coach doesn't know his backside from a hole in the ground.

Edited by debluvscanucks
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

As per Green on Peteys last dump and chase goal a couple games ago. He said something along the lines of I want those guys to use their skill to gain the offensive zone but sometimes you have to dump and chase and Petey cashed in. It’s a matter of finding ways to score.

You just wanna live an die on that dump and chase mountain don’t you Buzz

Green is back pedaling as fast as he can on his dump and chase plan because he has finally realized it wasn't working.

You want to give him credit for learning his lesson after losing a lot of games due to his methods... go ahead.

The guys still isn't coaching systematic zone entries... the players are still having to improvise it on their own.

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Are you seriously insinuating you'd entertain the idea of that a**hole playing for the Canucks? 

Lame

At 11m to boot

Doughty is currently over priced... but he is still elite.

No, you don't want him for the Canucks... but some team contending for the Cup might want to gamble at the deadline for his services.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’m impressed, or happy, but it was LA. 

The Canucks are still right there with the worst teams in the league, spotting them 50 shots, etc. 

I don’t care how they win, just that they do, but I’m not going to be bouncing up and down when they beat a terrible team like LA, 3-2, while surrendering shots like that. 

There has been a trend of surrendering an unreasonable amount of shots here for quite a while now. I felt like it was just a matter of time before they gave up a 50 game.

A few more 40+ shot games and this place will be sporting pitchforks once they figure out what it all means. You know it’s coming. 

Lastly, Benning should buy Marky another Audi. We all know why. 

Markstrom is 7-0-0 in his last 7 games with 40+ shots against. I say let them shoot as much as they want lool

on another note; apparently LA has the best shot differential (or one of) in the league. I think they’re averaging close to 6 shots for more than against this season. Giving them all those terrible perimeter shots doesn’t really take away anything from our game. 

both their goals were greasy and we gave them almost nothing all night. Markstrom didn’t get beat clean a single time except the post. 

We got outplayed a total of like 7 mins out of 60. I’m not complaining. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

My summary:

1. A lot of game summaries this season start with "great game by Marky", "Marky steals the game", etc. This is another. Markstrom is the big story again tonight. I have often repeated the old hockey adage that "most nights the team with the better goalie wins", and that was especially true tonight.

2. LA does take a lot of shots and does not always wait for high danger opportunities. But Natural Stat Trick has the high danger chances at 19 to 8 for LA tonight.

3. Aside from Marky, i think EP had a great game. Elliotte Friedman apparently said that EP was quiet in the first two periods. I disagree. EP made a great play on the Motte goal, almost scored on a breakaway, and made some very nice set-ups. He also made a lot of good defensive plays.

4. Virtanen played a very good first period (unlike the rest of the skaters) and scored a very nice goal. The later periods were up and down, but he had a solid game overall.

5. On the negative side, the Canucks had another sluggish start, with no shots until past the halfway point of the first period (and were being outshot 9-0 at that point). I hope it was just taking time to get back into things after the Christmas break. But it has happened a few times this year. As others have commented, that won't fly against Calgary. Let's hope, as Theo says, that the team will be awake against Calgary on Sunday.

6. The Horvat line had a really tough assignment, playing shutdown against Kopitar. At times I thought Horvat was just barely hanging on but his Corsi numbers were not bad. I continue to be impressed by how Louie avoids contact but that line did its job.

7. The line that was really buried in Corsi numbers was Beagle, Schaller, and Motte, but that is distorted a bit by having a large number of D-zone starts. And Motte's goal (from EP) was huge.

8. As others have mentioned, it is a puzzle as to how the D can give up so many shots. (They also blocked a lot of shots.) I thought that Edler was good (again) and Hughes continued to be impressive. Myers struggled a bit tonight and I thought Fantenberg struggled at times.

9. The Canucks are back in the final playoff spot in the Conference after looking like they were out of the race two weeks again. That is a nice turnaround, but I think the key test is against Calgary on Sunday. A win in that game would be big statement. 

Pretty much bang on JimmyB

Thought Myers were fighting it all night... a lot of turnovers within his own zone, but won’t criticise anyone... on another night the forwards will cover our goalies if they have a day off, its a team game and last night were definitely Markys :)

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Or - maybe JB should get some fan mail for somehow not giving up on him the first couple of years,  and having the patience to stick it out with him where as most would have long before cut him loose.  Two games away from tying the record (132 games or so) with starts without a shutout, never ranked in the top thirty until this year.   Wonder how many posters (myself included) thought he'd ever break out and be something before December of last year....if anyone says yes they are likely lying.  

Couldnt have worked out better for JM and the team (if he was like Gibson for example we'd never picked as high as we got to) during the rebuild, and it's starting to look that way with JV too.   If OJ also works out and plays 800-1000 games .... well let's just say we are in for some great times.   JM is changing my mind and I'm sure he's also changed a lot of others on this site too.   

In a sea of enlarged egos on CDC is nice to see some down to earth users. I too had long given up hope on marky and would have traded him at the drop of a hat. Sure JB didnt acquire him but he did choose his development path, which included sneaking him through waivers a time or two. It's nice to see some people coming around to JB, honestly he's the best GM we've had since burke.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

In a sea of enlarged egos on CDC is nice to see some down to earth users. I too had long given up hope on marky and would have traded him at the drop of a hat. Sure JB didnt acquire him but he did choose his development path, which included sneaking him through waivers a time or two. It's nice to see some people coming around to JB, honestly he's the best GM we've had since burke.

You bet.   I've been one of JM harder critics - even now I'm not absolutely sure what we should do with his next contract, but I certainly wouldn't  complain if we do re-sign him (anymore at least ha ha).  A month ago I was pretty sure it would be a mistake given who else we have and how fickle the position is (just look how things are working out with Bobrovsky - one of the supposed "sure things " ) and how fluid things seem to be these days (reliable goalies are hard to find).   Now if we re-sign with him I'd get behind it.   Hard not to like the guy given how he's played the past year and what he's gone through - and because the players themselves like him too.  

And more then all this - if JB trusts him why should it bother me?  Most of what he's done has worked out so far, especially the past three years.  I'd agree with your statement that he's the best GM since Burke. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You bet.   I've been one of JM harder critics - even now I'm not absolutely sure what we should do with his next contract, but I certainly wouldn't  complain if we do re-sign him (anymore at least ha ha).  A month ago I was pretty sure it would be a mistake given who else we have and how fickle the position is (just look how things are working out with Bobrovsky - one of the supposed "sure things " ) and how fluid things seem to be these days (reliable goalies are hard to find).   Now if we re-sign with him I'd get behind it.   Hard not to like the guy given how he's played the past year and what he's gone through - and because the players themselves like him too.  

And more then all this - if JB trusts him why should it bother me?  Most of what he's done has worked out so far, especially the past three years.  I'd agree with your statement that he's the best GM since Burke. 

The one wrench in markstrom coming into his own is the expansion draft. I'm a big fan of demko, so I'm not geeked about losing either of them. Here's to hoping JB has a plan.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

The one wrench in markstrom coming into his own is the expansion draft. I'm a big fan of demko, so I'm not geeked about losing either of them. Here's to hoping JB has a plan.

I think the plan might be to sign JM - then depending on his play next year decide which guy to protect.  I'm not sure Seattle would take JM if he was exposed, I'd say that better odds that they'd pick Holtby as their starter (they are in the exact same pickle) given his pedigree and play this year .... that's the strategy I'd go for.   If JM is lights out next year then protect him, if Demko is playing equally or better then protect him etc.   As far as trades go the timing is now or never - we won't be able to trade either guys easily if at all next season.  MAF was the obvious choice for Vegas and they couldn't move him and his reasonable cap hit...they definitely trie...and in the end had to pay then a second just to help their own ED and cap situation.  

From a cap standpoint it makes more sense to find a cheap veteran to back up Demko this year or off-season (trade JM) but that comes at a risk level I doubt management has a stomach for. Demko could definitely be the price of re-signing JM .... that would suck. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I think the plan might be to sign JM - then depending on his play next year decide which guy to protect.  I'm not sure Seattle would take JM if he was exposed, I'd say that better odds that they'd pick Holtby as their starter (they are in the exact same pickle) given his pedigree and play this year .... that's the strategy I'd go for.   If JM is lights out next year then protect him, if Demko is playing equally or better then protect him etc.   As far as trades go the timing is now or never - we won't be able to trade either guys easily if at all next season.  MAF was the obvious choice for Vegas and they couldn't move him and his reasonable cap hit...they definitely trie...and in the end had to pay then a second just to help their own ED and cap situation.  

From a cap standpoint it makes more sense to find a cheap veteran to back up Demko this year or off-season (trade JM) but that comes at a risk level I doubt management has a stomach for. Demko could definitely be the price of re-signing JM .... that would suck. 

Seattle has to pick 3 goalies per expansion rules and might want to take another starter to trade him to another team for futures.