Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 28, 2019

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's HOW you do it.   So he's using someone's current painful situation to remind us of something?  Send a message?  Even worse.

 

What's ridiculous is asking deeply personal questions in that setting and without really giving them the care and attention they deserve.  "Saves, shots, oh...by the way, passing of your father, tough? sure ok... Canucks, etc.". 

I won't change my mind.  That was not his place to go there - that old saying of "there's a time and a place".   The team that supports him and was there through it all didn't feel the need to expose his private matters...they tried to shelter him from it as much as possible and respect his privacy.  Yet this clown jumps right in with both feet in a two minute segment?  Hardly respecting the situation.

 

zzz ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Crimson-JH said:

How Swede is this?!

C1A03873-E4BF-4CF4-A397-5B9CBA685032.png

team Merica and team Sweden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We’re trading Demko at the 2020 draft to get our first back.  

If we had more cap space maybe - I think it's Demko that stays and Marky that's traded. I don't think you could get a 1st for Demko at the moment - too many question marks. Marky could fetch us a 1st and a prospect / nhller or 2. Point being his value is really high and he is peaking at the wrong time for this team. He's just been awesome lately though and my opinion I think doesn't take away from that and how much I am enjoying his play this season!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Our players are character guys, who will play how they’re coached.  Soft plays like flybys are the head coaches responsibility to eliminate.  

how do you know this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, haton said:

If you think booing hurts the opposition we disagree.  Booing as an emotional reaction is fine. If it's being used to try and help your team win it's useless and annoying. Ask Medvedev at the US open. 

Who cares... Fans wanna boo him for being a muppet, so they boo him...good for them. 

At least they show, they are invested in the team... a vast improvement of the cemetery /library atmosphere. Ask most fans on these board, who attend games. 

Much prefer the 'This is our building/ this is our home' atmosphere...

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I agree with this, but I wonder how in the know Marky was about the line of questioning. I know in some instances they let the interviewee know what the line of questioning is going to be. I can't say for certain NHL reporters do this but I would be inclined to give the benefit of the doubt in this case. I would imagine any decent human being asks Marky beforehand if they can mention something that personal on tv.

Even so....that's off limits in my view too.  It's too raw/fresh...maybe down the road in hindsight.  Not as he's living it and just trying to get through it.  His family's here, it's Christmas and they've just lost their loved one.  How the hell do you think he's doing?  You leave it alone and talk hockey (your job if you're Scott Oake).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's HOW you do it.   So he's using someone's current painful situation to remind us of something?  Send a message?  Even worse.

 

What's ridiculous is asking deeply personal questions in that setting and without really giving them the care and attention they deserve.  "Saves, shots, oh...by the way, passing of your father, tough? sure ok... Canucks, etc.". 

I won't change my mind.  That was not his place to go there - that old saying of "there's a time and a place".   The team that supports him and was there through it all didn't feel the need to expose his private matters...they tried to shelter him from it as much as possible and respect his privacy.  Yet this clown jumps right in with both feet in a two minute segment?  Hardly respecting the situation.

 

Hey Deb. I see this as you being protective, and I love ya for it! I think though, that Scott can understand how heavy a loss that was all too early can be. I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing that up, as it is what has happened. A sensitive topic yes, but not one to be avoided especially if you want to speak to the resiliency of a Markstom this season. Marky is a big boy and tough, and has a whole group of respectful fans behind him. Lots of strength there, nothing he can't handle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

All you've got?

 

Disrespect is something you're supporting so I'm not surprised.   
 

Would you like me to mansplain it?  Your baiting bores me

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Hey Deb. I see this as you being protective, and I love ya for it! I think though, that Scott can understand how heavy a loss that was all too early can be. I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing that up, as it is what has happened. A sensitive topic yes, but not one to be avoided especially if you want to speak to the resiliency of a Markstom this season. Marky is a big boy and tough, and has a whole group of respectful fans behind him. Lots of strength there, nothing he can't handle.

He shouldn't HAVE to handle it...he's got enough on his plate. 

 

It is one to be avoided in my view...just not the time nor the place.  In passing...in a 2 minute segment doesn't seem appropriate at all?   If he was going to go there, perhaps "I'm really sorry to hear about your Dad?".  Start there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tystick said:

We'll see them again before the seasons over IMO

Maybe... but think it'll take a lot of injuries before that happens...

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

He shouldn't HAVE to handle it...he's got enough on his plate. 

 

It is one to be avoided in my view...just not the time nor the place.  In passing...in a 2 minute segment doesn't seem appropriate at all?   If he was going to go there, perhaps "I'm really sorry to hear about your Dad?".  Start there.

Fair enough Deb, he lost his son though so I think he gets it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Fair enough Deb, he lost his son though so I think he gets it.

I've lost my Mother, but wouldn't ask someone fresh in the throes of losing a loved one how their focus has been affected.   A no brainer.  I get it to the point that it's probably not appropriate to go there in front of viewers.  He choked it down and that was sad...because he was enjoying a moment and those are few and far between when you're grieving.

 

But it's disrespectful to push this, so I'll leave it at that.  "Not the time nor the place".

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

Well that's just utter nonsense because again, the quote was:

 

" Just embarrassing," Kings defenseman Drew Doughty said. "A team like that should not be beating a team like ours 8-2, there's absolutely no way."

 

Kinda hard to paraphrase your way out of that one my dawg

 

spacer.png

its not that hard , really

first off, you omitted the 8-2 at the end of the quote

realistically no team should be losing 8-2

Doughtey gets himself in a little trouble using "like"

otherwise the statement reads, "A team, (any team) should not be beating our team 8-2"

 

The longer this goes on, the worse it looks for Canuck fans, Doughtey will forget, the Canucks probably already have forgotten, the 8-2 win/lose is now in the past, but Canuck fans desparate to find something as kool(?) as the "bunch of jerks" grasp valiantly to this shred of contraversy, hoping to create a bonding moment that does not excist.

Its really just a lame attempt at copycatism.

ftwiw, I like the "bunch of jerks" schtick, but every division does not need one, and the Canucks don't need to be "BOJ" 2.0

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Demko IS an unproven backup behind Markstrom.  What exactly has he proven in the NHL other than he can get concussed on multiple occasions by simply getting hit with a puck in the mask?  Are there not veteran goalies out there who have a better track record than Demko?  Can we not trade for one?  In terms of Demko's trade value he still has potential, but I'm sure it can be increased if he can stay healthy and play some meaningful games.  I agree the trade may not happen right away, it may happen in the summer.  But at some point Markstrom needs to be signed long term, we need to maximize our trade value for Demko and we need to find a solid reliable backup for Marky until DiPietro is ready.

Demko played fine when Marky was dealing with his father being sick the first time.  So I say he's proven himself to be a capable backup.

  • Burr 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, lmm said:

its not that hard , really

first off, you omitted the 8-2 at the end of the quote

realistically no team should be losing 8-2

Doughtey gets himself in a little trouble using "like"

otherwise the statement reads, "A team, (any team) should not be beating our team 8-2"

 

The longer this goes on, the worse it looks for Canuck fans, Doughtey will forget, the Canucks probably already have forgotten, the 8-2 win/lose is now in the past, but Canuck fans desparate to find something as kool(?) as the "bunch of jerks" grasp valiantly to this shred of contraversy, hoping to create a bonding moment that does not excist.

Its really just a lame attempt at copycatism.

ftwiw, I like the "bunch of jerks" schtick, but every division does not need one, and the Canucks don't need to be "BOJ" 2.0

 

It looks bad on us?

 

I think you better put your glasses on.  We're having fun with it...that's totally ok.  You can't change his words for him...we all heard what he said.  And we're allowed to react however we want.  

 

Desperate to find something "cool"?   If you aren't having fun with sports you're doing it wrong.  Maybe it's you who's over analyzing this stuff?  Trash talk.  Happens all the time and actually is awesome.  

I don't hate Doughty.  But I love giving it back to him.  The only people looking "worse" are those taking this too seriously.  And trying to justify words that shouldn't have been said.  Talk about your team, not "a team like that".  Because if/when you don't back it up, you're the team like that.

I don't think the Canucks "forgot".  I think they used it to fire themselves up...in particular, when the Kings tied the game and, dammit, NO.  

Remember, Canuck fans didn't just go after Doughty...he fired first.  And we don't take that stuff lightly 'round these parts.  

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lmm said:

its not that hard , really

first off, you omitted the 8-2 at the end of the quote

realistically no team should be losing 8-2

Doughtey gets himself in a little trouble using "like"

otherwise the statement reads, "A team, (any team) should not be beating our team 8-2"

 

The longer this goes on, the worse it looks for Canuck fans, Doughtey will forget, the Canucks probably already have forgotten, the 8-2 win/lose is now in the past, but Canuck fans desparate to find something as kool(?) as the "bunch of jerks" grasp valiantly to this shred of contraversy, hoping to create a bonding moment that does not excist.

Its really just a lame attempt at copycatism.

ftwiw, I like the "bunch of jerks" schtick, but every division does not need one, and the Canucks don't need to be "BOJ" 2.0

 

Canuck fans have been considered a BOJ for years and I don't see that changing anytime soon.  Kind of similar to the Leafs.  Big market + intense fans = BOJ. 

 

I don't think the current team is viewed the same as the fans. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's HOW you do it.   So he's using someone's current painful situation to remind us of something?  Send a message?  Even worse.

 

What's ridiculous is asking deeply personal questions in that setting and without really giving them the care and attention they deserve.  "Saves, shots, oh...by the way, passing of your father, tough? sure ok... Canucks, etc.". 

I won't change my mind.  That was not his place to go there - that old saying of "there's a time and a place".   The team that supports him and was there through it all didn't feel the need to expose his private matters...they tried to shelter him from it as much as possible and respect his privacy.  Yet this clown jumps right in with both feet in a two minute segment?  Hardly respecting the situation.

 

Scott Oake reminds me of a lesser version of Ron McLean. Less annoying, Less cloying, less authentic, Less bad, or good depending on how you feel about their schtick.

I just posted in another thread (actually it was this thread, help me Alf, I am getting confused) how I felt the "Team Like That" feels like a weak attempt at a "Bunch of Jerks"

Scott Oake is the "team like that" to McLean's "BOJ"

That touchie feelie angle is very CBC, thank glolly we don't have to listen/watch Ray Farraro or Biznasty doing that schtick

Edited by lmm
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

 

211086D8-19E9-48E3-93C2-DE291123CD86.jpeg

I gave you a beer because they don't have an open bar in emojes

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.