The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 28, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

Demko played fine when Marky was dealing with his father being sick the first time.  So I say he's proven himself to be a capable backup.

12 games this year proves you're a capable backup?  Don't think so.  And how is he a reliable backup when he gets injured every year from pucks to the head?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Canuck fans have been considered a BOJ for years and I don't see that changing anytime soon.  Kind of similar to the Leafs.  Big market + intense fans = BOJ. 

I don't think the current team is viewed the same as the fans. 

Thing is...this team's had to own the bunch of jerks since Burr, Bert, Roger, etc.

It's now a badge of honour.  Us versus them.  

Don't care if you hate us.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's HOW you do it.   So he's using someone's current painful situation to remind us of something?  Send a message?  Even worse.

What's ridiculous is asking deeply personal questions in that setting and without really giving them the care and attention they deserve.  "Saves, shots, oh...by the way, passing of your father, tough? sure ok... Canucks, etc.". 

I won't change my mind.  That was not his place to go there - that old saying of "there's a time and a place".   The team that supports him and was there through it all didn't feel the need to expose his private matters...they tried to shelter him from it as much as possible and respect his privacy.  Yet this clown jumps right in with both feet in a two minute segment?  Hardly respecting the situation.

Kevin Bieksa said it best, "He asks dumb questions"...

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Canuck fans have been considered a BOJ for years and I don't see that changing anytime soon.  Kind of similar to the Leafs.  Big market + intense fans = BOJ. 

I agree.

that is why the"TLT" schtick feels so wrong to me.

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is...this team's had to own the bunch of jerks since Burr, Bert, Roger, etc.

It's now a badge of honour.  Us versus them.  

Don't care if you hate us.  

how is that relevant to Bo, Pete, Boes, Hughes?

Its not

16 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

We’re allowed to write BOJ on here?  Awesome!  Is there s lineup?  

D3E5A5CD-E74E-454B-8C18-E835A2A35B8A.jpeg

Edited by Alflives
  • Haha 3

They will eventually run out of chickens to sacrifice, Markstrom steals another one.

This 40+ shots against is just not "playoff" calibre hockey, the Goalie STOLE another one.

At the rate he is playing he will be burned out by the middle of March, March, THE toughest month on the schedule.

January's 9 games in 18 days will look like a vacation by comparison.

Once they get a lead the game sure becomes boring.

8 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

In a sea of enlarged egos on CDC is nice to see some down to earth users. I too had long given up hope on marky and would have traded him at the drop of a hat. Sure JB didnt acquire him but he did choose his development path, which included sneaking him through waivers a time or two. It's nice to see some people coming around to JB, honestly he's the best GM we've had since burke.

What did you think of Marky last season? Trade him at the drop of the hat? 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/cbcs-scott-oake-shares-story-of-his-sons-fatal-addiction/article4104024/

"Known to millions as the host of Hockey Night in Canada, Scott Oake has been keeping something quiet for more than a year now: the loss of his eldest son Bruce to a fatal spiral of addiction."

So Scott took a 13 month grieving period, before discussing his son's death in public; but gives Jacob less than 1 month?

total bush league move.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I'm no Scott oake fan, in any way, but getting bent out of shape for that is ridiculous.  There's nothing wrong with seeing the human side of athletes.  It reminds us that they are just people, like you and me.

“Fans” only know fandom. 

This is why the board relies so heavily on posters like yourself, Rupert, etc. 

Without people who know wtf they are talking about beyond words, google and parroting, this is an awful fan experience. 

IMO, it’s like a hockey panel of Squire Barnes’ without a Bieksa or whomever to balance out the bull $&!#. 

5 hours ago, haton said:

Without that goof Canada would be without a few gold medals right now.

If I remember correctly it was Canucks vs. Kings yesterday?

With this logic, we should keep our mouth shut when Marchand enters our building because he’s helped Canada win some gold medals.

29 minutes ago, lmm said:

I agree.

that is why the"TLT" schtick feels so wrong to me.

Like it or not, that reflects on the media, fans and marketing department.  The team is separate from all that.

I don't really care one way or another. I would have a lot more of a problem if fans were wearing bags over their heads and throwing jerseys on the ice.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

All of you guys who think its Green who is coaching the changes in the way the 1st line is entering the zone in possession need to do some more watching.

Those plays are being generated by the line itself, and primarily Pettersson.

That is what is allowing them to score those even strength goals... not Green's non-existent coaching.

Lets take a look at two examples:

December 19th win versus Golden Knights.

Pettersson scores his 16th to keep the Canucks ahead.  He does it on a set play entering the zone.

You can see it here at 2:45 of the highlights:

Pettersson breaks out on the left wing BEHIND Boeser who is ahead of him on the right wing.  EP40 makes a bounce pass off the boards BEHIND Boeser to keep it away from the opposing D... Boeser takes the pass into the zone IN POSSESSION.  He then goes cross ice back to Pettersson who roofs it past Fleury.

Now look at last night's game versus LA:

Another breakout from the zone.  This time its Boeser who is carrying the puck, BEHIND Miller who is ahead on the right, with Pettersson ahead on the left.  Boeser makes a bounce pass to Miller off the boards.... same behind the player pass as Pettersson did against Vegas.  Miller goes back across ice to Pettersson who scores.  Play happens at 6:45 of the tape:

Both of these goals came out of set plays... which were originated by Pettersson... not Green.  How do I know?  Because you haven't seen any other line in the Canucks try this play.  If Green was coaching this, he would have started in the pre-season, but this play has been developed only this month.

Next play:

Entering the O-zone, with the puck carrier pushing back the D as far as possible and then dropping the puck to a follow up player is a standard NHL play.  Most teams use this play all the time.  Its a standard.  Vancouver uses it rarely under Green's system.

The last few games Pettersson has been trying to develop this enter the zone and drop pass for his line.  I can't show you those hilights because the play hasn't worked... no goals because the timing hasn't been right.  Tonight it did work, although the guys on the ice with Pettersson were not Boeser and Miller.  It was a line change and Motte picked up the drop pass instead.  Watch it at 4:17. of the above highlight package.  It was a little lucky, the puck deflected to Motte, but Pettersson intentionally set up the play.

Like I said, you don't see the rest of the Canucks lines using this play... even though it is a standard play in the NHL.  That's cause it doesn't fit Green's system, he emphasizes safety not creativity, he doesn't like anything which potentially exposes the team to a counter.  So he pushes for shooting the puck in.

The point I am making is that these creative plays are coming out of the players, not Green.  If Green was driving the creative plays, then you'd see Horvat's line trying them as well... but you don't.

A good NHL coach provides his lines with a whole series of set plays... the players can choose which one they use depending on the situation.  If they have no other choice, they dump and chase.  Green doesn't do this.... The Canucks are one of the least fluid teams in the NHL when it comes to having a variety of plays they can call on to allow zone entry.

The only line on the Canucks who should be using Dump and Chase as their go to plays is Beagle and the 4th line... their role is to waste time in the opposition zone anyway.  Even the third line of the Canucks should not be using Dump and Chase more than 50% of their entries.... they have more skill than that.

whoa back it up you howie meeker wanna be , stop it right it there  ;   aren't you the same guy that thinks goldy and baer are the answers to the canucks woes?    do you not know what the safest play that every single hockey coach in the world will tell you to do ???    get pucks in deep  ,aka  dump and chase.   How do you change lines hmm you dump it in ,   what does any coach  not want ?  , turnovers at the opposition blue line  .   those are the 2 basics that every single coach and player will tell you   get pucks in deep and no turnovers at the blue line  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

In a sea of enlarged egos on CDC is nice to see some down to earth users. I too had long given up hope on marky and would have traded him at the drop of a hat. Sure JB didnt acquire him but he did choose his development path, which included sneaking him through waivers a time or two. It's nice to see some people coming around to JB, honestly he's the best GM we've had since burke.

I think that Marky's performance in the 2014-15 AHL playoffs with Utica gave Benning a lot of hope that Marky had the potential to become an NHL starter.  They did go all the way to the cup final that year.  His regular season with Utica was 32 games 1.88 GAA, 0.934 S% and 23 playoff games 2.11 GAA 0.925 S%

I give a lot of credit to Ian Clark for Marky's improved play the last 2 seasons.