The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Flames, December 29, 2019 - 6:30 PM PST -- HNY Edition

Rate this topic

therodigy

If canucks win tonight I'll have a lot more confidence in the coaching staff... But I understand the concern on the back end. Canucks team defense looks sloppy and tired all the time. Marky has been sharp as ever and totally stealing wins. I think the tools are in the toolkit, but they're still learning to use them... Properly. 

31 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Flames star players haven’t been putting up the numbers I expected…

One thing to consider, is perhaps the league had adjusted to there scheme and players for NOW.   The more successful teams (coaches and player included), seems to be the one that can adjust and adapt the fastest then will more than likely, dictate the play...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

I see the new flavour of the weak is to complain about the defensive system as if the coaching staff is telling the team to allow 40+ shots and not clear the puck and sit back as if that's the strategy. And I see that Myers looks to be the one singled out on the defense for the woes.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

I see the new flavour of the weak is to complain about the defensive system as if the coaching staff is telling the team to allow 40+ shots and not clear the puck and sit back as if that's the strategy. And I see that Myers looks to be the one singled out on the defense for the woes.

I agree that anyone who thinks that's directed from the coaching staff needs to have their head checked.  That said,their play has been very poor in their own end and they need to do something to fix it.  If I were TG, I'd be telling my guys to ice the f'n puck when they get in trouble........they have some of the best faceoff guys in the league, ice it and try and get possession that way.  Too many times I see them just try to lift the puck out and avoid icing, but all they do is give it way........fire the bloody thing down the ice and reset

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree that anyone who thinks that's directed from the coaching staff needs to have their head checked.  That said,their play has been very poor in their own end and they need to do something to fix it.  If I were TG, I'd be telling my guys to ice the f'n puck when they get in trouble........they have some of the best faceoff guys in the league, ice it and try and get possession that way.  Too many times I see them just try to lift the puck out and avoid icing, but all they do is give it way........fire the bloody thing down the ice and reset

Yah, we dont really know what is being instructed and if what, some or most are noticing on the ice is really on the players not executing - who knows but there winning for now ?  I don't really care how they win tonight: JUST WIN and get into the playoff cause that experience will be a great benefit to our young scores developement.  GCG !

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

You mean Green should tell the players to dump the puck even more? CDC wouldn't be able to handle that. Of course there are parts of the game we could work on (every team does), but we pulled out a win which is the end goal. I'm certain the team continues to work on improving weaknesses. I can only speak for myself, but I've seen improvements in season, but it does take time to work out the kinks.

• Upvote 1

Just now, theo5789 said:

You mean Green should tell the players to dump the puck even more? CDC wouldn't be able to handle that. Of course there are parts of the game we could work on (every team does), but we pulled out a win which is the end goal. I'm certain the team continues to work on improving weaknesses. I can only speak for myself, but I've seen improvements in season, but it does take time to work out the kinks.

ice, not dump, the puck.  If they get hemmed in and get a chance to fire it down the ice and get a reset, they should........they have the faceoff guys to minimize the risk.  It certainly can't be worse than what they've been doing lately.  

I will say, however, that despite the high number of shots they've been giving up, they haven't been giving up a high number of scoring chances.  Marky just has to make sure he controls rebounds.

5 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yah, we dont really know what is being instructed and if what, some or most are noticing on the ice is really on the players not executing - who knows but there winning for now ?  I don't care how they win tonight, just win and get into the playoff cause that experience will be a benefit to our young core  !!!

a win is a win,I agree and I truly don't think the number of quality chances given up has gone up with the higher shot totals.........they've been keeping shots to the outside, for the most part.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

ice, not dump, the puck.  If they get hemmed in and get a chance to fire it down the ice and get a reset, they should........they have the faceoff guys to minimize the risk.  It certainly can't be worse than what they've been doing lately.  

I will say, however, that despite the high number of shots they've been giving up, they haven't been giving up a high number of scoring chances.  Marky just has to make sure he controls rebounds.

I know what you're saying, I was just trying to make a joke about the constant whining of the dump and chase model.

I think some of the times when they could've iced it, they were gassed and either couldn't make the play they wanted or maybe were indeed hoping to not ice it, so they don't get stuck with a tired crew after an icing and forcing a timeout or continue another exhausted shift. They do need to improve on not getting hemmed in and indeed being stuck in the situation of being gassed.

• Upvote 1

Just now, theo5789 said:

I know what you're saying, I was just trying to make a joke about the constant whining of the dump and chase model.

I think some of the times when they could've iced it, they were gassed and either couldn't make the play they wanted or maybe were indeed hoping to not ice it, so they don't get stuck with a tired crew after an icing and forcing a timeout or continue another exhausted shift. They do need to improve on not getting hemmed in and indeed being stuck in the situation of being gassed.

I pretty much figured.  I do think that's a viable strategy for them, at this point.  Icing the puck when in trouble was a go to strategy and, despite the new rules, I'm not sure why teams have abandoned it so completely, especially when you have good cmen.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Almost at the midpoint of the season

A regulation win over Calgary tonight coupled with a Dallas regulation win over Arizona would catapult Vancouver into 2nd place in the Pacific Division just 2 points behind 1st place Vegas but with 2 games in hand on them.

spacer.png

Biggest game of the year.