The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Stops A Bad Guy With A Gun In Texas?

SabreFan1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

All good points RC.  I think there are something like 10,000 homeless in Vancouver, and they are mostly downtown.  The petty crime rate is crazy.  And that’s with many of them not even getting attention from the cops.  I heard (not too sure if true) a lot of those homeless types carry knives.  It’s maybe to to carry (illegally) here.  Gun beats knife. 

https://legalbeagle.com/6659356-knife-laws-canada.html

"

Passable Knives

Knives with sheaths, knives that take both hands to open and any knife with a fixed blade are legal in Canada. Knives only become the law's concern in Canada after being used to threaten, injure or kill someone. Due to Canada's strict gun ownership laws, knives killed more people than guns did in Canada between 2000 and 2004.

No Purchase Rules

There are no laws governing the sale of knives in Canada. This may come from Canada's rich hunter/adventurer tradition, but knife vendors are not even required to check a buyer's age before selling a knife. There is also no criminal background check, licensing process or any other examination required to purchase a knife. This is because of how common and useful knives are in everyday life. Sales rules would choke most people's access to a tool with endless peaceful applications.

Possession

Simple possession of a legal knife is not a crime in Canada. However, a prosecutor may be able to argue in court that a small pocket knife was carried for a "purpose dangerous to the public’s peace" or in order to commit a crime. In this case, even possession of a small pocket knife can become a problem. The argument of possession of a knife for self defense has not yet become common law, and cannot be counted on as a blanket defense."

As a deckhand I carry a knife at work, as a citizen I carry a knife everywhere else.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

https://legalbeagle.com/6659356-knife-laws-canada.html

"

Passable Knives

Knives with sheaths, knives that take both hands to open and any knife with a fixed blade are legal in Canada. Knives only become the law's concern in Canada after being used to threaten, injure or kill someone. Due to Canada's strict gun ownership laws, knives killed more people than guns did in Canada between 2000 and 2004.

No Purchase Rules

There are no laws governing the sale of knives in Canada. This may come from Canada's rich hunter/adventurer tradition, but knife vendors are not even required to check a buyer's age before selling a knife. There is also no criminal background check, licensing process or any other examination required to purchase a knife. This is because of how common and useful knives are in everyday life. Sales rules would choke most people's access to a tool with endless peaceful applications.

Possession

Simple possession of a legal knife is not a crime in Canada. However, a prosecutor may be able to argue in court that a small pocket knife was carried for a "purpose dangerous to the public’s peace" or in order to commit a crime. In this case, even possession of a small pocket knife can become a problem. The argument of possession of a knife for self defense has not yet become common law, and cannot be counted on as a blanket defense."

As a deckhand I carry a knife at work, as a citizen I carry a knife everywhere else.

Kind of sounds like knives are Canadians’ guns.  I should get an eye patch, wear a Make Canada Great Again hat, and pack a machete!  

EF7E7DAB-2DBA-4FF8-8479-B5EAE58AA1A1.jpeg

• Haha 1

I'd point out that, imo, a knife is a silly weapon to try to use for self defense. By the time you get it out and open, if it is a folding type, it would be too late to use.

Much better off grabbing what ever is in arms reach and using that.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

All good points RC.  I think there are something like 10,000 homeless in Vancouver, and they are mostly downtown.  The petty crime rate is crazy.  And that’s with many of them not even getting attention from the cops.  I heard (not too sure if true) a lot of those homeless types carry knives.  It’s maybe to to carry (illegally) here.  Gun beats knife. 

No homeless that I can see in downtown Dallas.  Mainly because there are no residential houses downtown as far as I can tell.  All office buildings.  Few if any vendors open after dusk (ie., restaurants. Zero Starbucks even around, etc.).  

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe the way we treat the kids is too soft?  I hear few kids can fail a class, or a year.  They get coddled, when they should be held accountable.  We seem to have a lot of recent grads, who don’t really know work and responsibility.  Maybe those kids are turning to gangs, violence, and guns?

Well NHL coaches used to hit /abuse their players... how is that working out for them now ?

When kids are not getting a proper education or their learning needs met.... then they are risk to struggle as adults.

Why does the BC government and BC voters not value investing in public education like other Canadian Provinces do ?

Do BC citizens believe  that education for our kids is NOT  important ?  Are BC kids worth less than kids in the other CDN provinces ?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/01/us/new-years-eve-celebratory-gunfire-death-texas/index.html

A 61-year-old Texas woman celebrating New Year's Eve was apparently killed by celebratory gunfire in Houston, authorities said Wednesday.

The woman's family and friends were discharging fireworks when she "suddenly called out that she had been shot," the Harris County Sheriff's Office said in a tweet.
She was pronounced dead at the scene, the sheriff's office said.
Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said it appears the victim "may have been struck by celebratory gunfire from outside the immediate neighborhood."
The Menninger Clinic in Houston identified the victim as Philippa "Phil" Ashford, a nurse manager at their mental health facility for more than 12 years.

:picard:
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Well NHL coaches used to hit /abuse their players... how is that working out for them now ?

When kids are not getting a proper education or their learning needs met.... then they are risk to struggle as adults.

Why does the BC government and BC voters not value investing in public education like other Canadian Provinces do ?

Do BC citizens believe  that education for our kids is NOT  important ?  Are BC kids worth less than kids in the other CDN provinces ?

"It is clear from the data presented that every province in Canada over the 
2006/07 to 2015/16 period increased education spending beyond what was 
required to account for enrolment changes and inflation. This means real 
increases in per-student education spending in public schools across the 
country, which is contrary to the general perception that education spending in public schools has been cut."

2 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

"It is clear from the data presented that every province in Canada over the 
2006/07 to 2015/16 period increased education spending beyond what was 
required to account for enrolment changes and inflation. This means real 
increases in per-student education spending in public schools across the 
country, which is contrary to the general perception that education spending in public schools has been cut."

It’s semantics.  Teachers want more money.  The BCTF needs to just be honest.  They want Increased funding, so they can get big raises.  It’s not about providing kids a better education.  Too many of Our kids will continue to struggle, and end up in gangs or be useless drags on society.  

We need to make it harder on teachers, and then they can make it harder on the kids.  Then our kids will have stronger character, and not take the easy path (as they see it) to crime.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s semantics.  Teachers want more money.  The BCTF needs to just be honest.  They want Increased funding, so they can get big raises.  It’s not about providing kids a better education.  Too many of Our kids will continue to struggle, and end up in gangs or be useless drags on society.  

We need to make it harder on teachers, and then they can make it harder on the kids.  Then our kids will have stronger character, and not take the easy path (as they see it) to crime.  

Special needs kids have some EA time for them to better learn has nothing to do with BCTF members wages....

Of course everyone wants a raise. BC teachers are the lowest paid teachers in Canada....  Do you think that make sense.... ?

Did you ever work ? Did you ever want a raise back in your day ?

Sorry Alf but you are 100% wrong.  When was the last time you spent a day in  a BC public school ?  Did you raise any children with special needs ?

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Special needs kids have some EA time for them to better learn has nothing to do with BCTF members wages....

Of course everyone wants a raise. BC teachers are the lowest paid teachers in Canada....  Do you think that make sense.... ?

Did you ever work ? Did you ever want a raise back in your day ?

Sorry Alf but you are 100% wrong.  When was the last time you spent a day in  a BC public school ?  Did you raise any children with special needs ?

Those are all good points King, but to me the teacher’s dispute is about more funding, so they can get more money.  

I don't need to go into a public school to know it’s full of spoiled people (staff and students) who don’t get what the real world is like.  Students need to, from day one, be held to a high standard for effort, and behaviour.  It sure seems like those days are long gone, and kids do whatever the heck they want.  I heard we don’t even have the Provincial Exams any more!  Do we make kids accountable at all anymore?  No wonder we have so many kids involved in crime.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Those are all good points King, but to me the teacher’s dispute is about more funding, so they can get more money.  

I don't need to go into a public school to know it’s full of spoiled people (staff and students) who don’t get what the real world is like.  Students need to, from day one, be held to a high standard for effort, and behaviour.  It sure seems like those days are long gone, and kids do whatever the heck they want.  I heard we don’t even have the Provincial Exams any more!  Do we make kids accountable at all anymore?  No wonder we have so many kids involved in crime.  

Blaming the public school system is too funny.  Parents need to accept some responsibility for their kids behave in public.

Kids are in school only a fraction of the hours they are at home / with family.

Declining standards in parenting are to blame but once again you blame a teacher that has 35 kids in her class.  Wow. 

Kids do write  both a numberacy and literacy standardize level exam before graduation..... just to bring you up to speed......  

Very few provinces have gov provincial exams and BC exams were actually penalizing BC kids chances of getting into our own BC university's compared to out of province kids with no exams......

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Blaming the public school system is too funny.  Parents need to accept some responsibility for their kids behave in public.

Kids are in school only a fraction of the hours they are at home / with family.

Declining standards in parenting are to blame but once again you blame a teacher that has 35 kids in her class.  Wow. 

Kids do write  both a numberacy and literacy standardize level exam before graduation..... just to bring you up to speed......  

Very few provinces have gov provincial exams and BC exams were actually penalizing BC kids chances of getting into our own BC university's compared to out of province kids with no exams......

If our kids do so well in school, why are so many non employable, and kind of useless?  Why do so many turn to crime?  Our schools are way too easy on kids.  I heard some schools are even going without grades, because grades could hurt kids’ feelings if they don’t get Good ones!  That’s the teachers, again, coming up with non real world ideas.  

Again, kids leave school and find in the real world they actually have to earn their pay.  So those same kids head to crime.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Also for the first time ever farmers are asking permission to shoot thieves on their land....thats crazy in my books , when before farmers just left their doors unlocked and now they want their guns locked and loaded......

like i get take pride in Canada but we have just as many problems and things could get even worse in Canada before it gets better....

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If our kids do so well in school, why are so many non employable, and kind of useless?  Why do so many turn to crime?  Our schools are way too easy on kids.  I heard some schools are even going without grades, because grades could hurt kids’ feelings if they don’t get Good ones!  That’s the teachers, again, coming up with non real world ideas.  

Again, kids leave school and find in the real world they actually have to earn their pay.  So those same kids head to crime.  

Alf that sounds like a parenting problem not really a teacher problem , a lot of kids now Adays lack respect and common sense , I've lost count how many times I've seen a young man not hold a door open for someone or say thank you , just simple things , no teacher had to teach me that....

6 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

It's a bit deceptive in that one has to account for students enrolled in private education.  BC leads the nation (percentage) in sending students to private school (see attached study) followed close behind by Quebec:

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/sites/default/files/where-our-students-are-educated-measuring-student-enrolment-in-canada-2017.pdf

17 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It's a bit deceptive in that one has to account for students enrolled in private education.  BC leads the nation (percentage) in sending students to private school (see attached study) followed close behind by Quebec:

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/sites/default/files/where-our-students-are-educated-measuring-student-enrolment-in-canada-2017.pdf

Private school? I guess no one  cares about rural areas or what about the families that can't afford private schools?

also it's the kids that don't go to private schools that need our help. 

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What I find crazy is parents letting young kids having unsupervised access to the internet. They give them cell phones when they are as young as 11. I find this very dangerous and likely the main reason for the bad things you mention. 

It's the parents job to morally raise a child, not the school. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Private school? I guess no one  cares about rural areas or what about the families that can't afford private schools?

also it's the kids that don't go to private schools that need our help. 

I wasn't making any kind of judgement on way or the other; only wanted to make that distinction why BC seems to spend less on students (re: public education).  One reason (not the ONLY reason) is that a large number are sent to private schools.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1