The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Dec. 29, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Darth Canuck said:

Congratulations!

what did you name her? Bo-ette? Jake-abeth? Brock-a? All very good names.

Be sure to get her a Canuck jersey and a cow bell

Debko?

Huge congratulations to the lovely family enjoying all the happiness in the world.  

• Haha 3

-This is a pretty good team when we are healthy.  We can roll 4 solid lines out there.

-Virtanen is no on pace for 47 points and that pace is climbing.  Also playing very well physically.  Super happy for this kid, he is turning into a gamer for us.

-Hughes just turned 20.  Imagine him in 3 years.  What an asset to this team.  

-Boeser has been outstanding lately.

-Give LE some credit.  He has played a pretty nice role this season when called upon.

-Demko played well, but needs to calm his game in net.  He looks like a young goalie.  

-The Calgary and Edmonton games this week were the most important of the year so far.  Nice to see us get up for both and pick up the wins.

-Next 2 games are trap games.  We should win both.  We have a chance to create some separation from other playoff contenders, can't let it slip.  Tough road trip coming up....

JB has not been perfect by any means, but I really like the way that this team is built and coming together.  We are a few years/pieces away, but this team has a very very solid core to build off of.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, JamesB said:

6. On a negative note, the Beagle line struggled. I know Green likes Beagle, Motte and Scaller, but they were crushed in Corsi numbers again tonight. Beagle himself had 5 Corsi attempts for and 15 against. And they gave up the only 5-on-5 goal.  And they had the LEAST time against the Monahan line of the 4 Canucks lines. They did not face particularly tough quality of competition. I was watching Schaller quite closely tonight. It seems to me that the rarely handles the puck cleanly. Green likes their physical game and their intensity. Beagle and Motte both play a hard physical game but I am beginning to have doubts about Schaller. 

I think there needs to be some context given to this.  Guys like him and Manny Malhotra in his day regularly get buried in advanced stats (his average in Vancouver during his 3 seasons was 36%) since it's not their role to generate chances but to shut down the other team's and to take draws against other strong face-off men.  While it's not good to get out-chanced, sometimes it's needed for these defense first guys to take the tougher match-up duties.  Even if they lose them at least they're responsible and solid enough to contain things and get the stops until the scorers and stronger puck-movers get things in the right direction.  

Agreed with points 1-5 and 7.

26 minutes ago, Darth Canuck said:

Congratulations!

what did you name her? Bo-ette? Jake-abeth? Brock-a? All very good names.

Be sure to get her a Canuck jersey and a cow bell

Elias-a, Pete-tricia or Jaytie would get my votes 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I think there needs to be some context given to this.  Guys like him and Manny Malhotra in his day regularly get buried in advanced stats (his average in Vancouver during his 3 seasons was 36%) since it's not their role to generate chances but to shut down the other team's and to take draws against other strong face-off men.  While it's not good to get out-chanced, sometimes it's needed for these defense first guys to take the tougher match-up duties.  Even if they lose them at least they're responsible and solid enough to contain things and get the stops until the scorers and stronger puck-movers get things in the right direction.  

Agreed with points 1-5 and 7.

Elias-a, Pete-tricia or Jaytie would get my votes 

I know jack about stats but aren't those possession numbers going to "look" bad after you built up a sizeable lead?  The only numbers that count are the ones in the scoreboard.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I know jack about stats but aren't those possession numbers going to "look" bad after you built up a sizeable lead?  The only numbers that count are the ones in the scoreboard.

Yes but it's not that simple.  It's calculated for each individual player (e.g. Beagle 5 chances for, 15 against) and since trailing teams lean more on their top guns to get back into the game (e.g. score goals), of course they would dominate in shots and different possession metrics (have the puck more, generate more chances, get dangerous opportunities, etc. since those guys are talented in that area).  Then it also makes sense that the players they face would often get buried in that stat (e.g. chances against).  So yes, it looks bad for the guys that franchise players go out against on most occasions.  But I would disagree that the only numbers that count are the ones on the scoreboard (e.g. it's good to know that guys like Tanev move the puck up well and suppress chances against, hence they would be an elite defensive D-man) since each individual with certain needed attributes can contribute at different points in the game.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I like the Eriksson Horvat Pearson line too.  If Green can get Eriksson to play at a top 6 level again... Jack Adam's.  

That would be as good as trading for a top six winger.  We are saddled with his contract and if he can play a consistent role with Horvat, he could find his touch again.  So far so good. 

Green tested that line with positive result last season and now is fans catching up

• Upvote 1

So after watching the game, not sure if the Canucks played better hands down or CGY shot themselves in the foot.  

CGY missed some glorious chances, but so did the Canucks.  

But like they say, you don't always win when you deserve it so I'm happy they got the W in this one.  

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, xereau said:

giphy.gif

and that is the moment that I am glad we still do not have Dorsett. I am all for guys sticking up for each other, but needlessly getting pounded by Lucic would have only made Luch more relevant in a game that he was not.

Nice job Schaller.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I believe he has turned the corner. His play was a bit sloppy in the 2nd but he has played well this year when the team has needed him

then there was that play where he gave away the puck but skated hard and stole it back

that was the Virtieboy moment for me yesterday

• Cheers 4

Phenomenal weekend by the boys. Big wins against division rivals. Myers, Jake and Pearson had great nights having multi point performances. Bo is leading by example. Boeser continues his hot streak. Demko was great in his 1st start since suffering a concussion. Overall, a great end to the year and hopefully continue its hot streak into the new year. GCG!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, lmm said:

and that is the moment that I am glad we still do not have Dorsett. I am all for guys sticking up for each other, but needlessly getting pounded by Lucic would have only made Luch more relevant in a game that he was not.

Nice job Schaller.

That was a funny moment, Lucic trying to make himself relevant in the game. It's kind of all he's good for nowadays.  

• Upvote 1