The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Dec. 29, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Yes but it's not that simple.  It's calculated for each individual player (e.g. Beagle 5 chances for, 15 against) and since trailing teams lean more on their top guns to get back into the game (e.g. score goals), of course they would dominate in shots and different possession metrics (have the puck more, generate more chances, get dangerous opportunities, etc. since those guys are talented in that area).  Then it also makes sense that the players they face would often get buried in that stat (e.g. chances against).  So yes, it looks bad for the guys that franchise players go out against on most occasions.  But I would disagree that the only numbers that count are the ones on the scoreboard (e.g. it's good to know that guys like Tanev move the puck up well and suppress chances against, hence they would be an elite defensive D-man) since each individual with certain needed attributes can contribute at different points in the game.

I am not an advanced stat guy, but I wonder how many chances Beagle and the rest of the PK guys give up on the shift that ends a PK? I am sure those guys also get - for goals that are essentially power play goals but come 2:01 after the penalty starts. . But they probably give up more chances than goals in that situation.

Too lazy to look, but just wondering.

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Debko?

Huge congratulations to the lovely family enjoying all the happiness in the world.  

I think trying to fiminize a masculin name is lame.

So I would like to suggest Alieanna or Flo

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Darth Canuck said:

Congratulations!

what did you name her? Bo-ette? Jake-abeth? Brock-a? All very good names.

Be sure to get her a Canuck jersey and a cow bell

I tired a few, fiancé wouldnt buge on them hahaha..

She has a nice flying skate petty Jersey though. Still a little big for her. :D

• Like 1

It still boils down to the consistency of the players and lately we have been getting more from the ones who have been inconsistent earlier on. Luckily we have 2 capable goalies and a healthy Tanev and Edler to up our chances of winning, significantly.

Its a bit early to say the fate of TG yet as he has to keep these guys going for the other half of this season and hopefully the playoffs.

I am sure glad we got some of our energy guys back because we had some pretty non-inspired games when they were injured.

We are almost playing complete "60 minute" games and we will continue to be successful if we can keep this up and remain mostly injury free for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I hope you mean the issue was Dorsett having to continually battle up in weight class. The issue was the lack of depth and a proper wingman for the guy. Dorsett is missed.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw this post.  Nobody on our team can fight and hope to do anything but hold on - Dorsett would have fought and lost.  Insert Antoski or Gino or Tiger or Fraser into or Cox or a variety of other ex-Canucks and Lucic wouldn't be looking for trouble.   He's a bully with few sparring partners these days - have to say I do wish we had someone who could fight him on an even footing but we do not.  Dorsett lost most of his fights because he didn't have much size and ability to make it work.  Was still nice to have him.   Not many guys left that are decent fighters - Lucic wouldn't have had much fun playing ten or fifteeen years before his time.  He'd still fight but he picks his spots.

Remember the first real enforcer he fought was getting the better of him and he called the refs in right away to save him.  What a douche-bag bully.   McGratton - the last real good enforcer would have made mince meat out of him.  His fight card had some OK mid-range enforcers on it but that's it.  He shied away from the true tuff guys that were still around early on - coward bully. 

The fact that he's one of best fighters remaining is sad.  Reaves and Wilson would be below average by previous standards. 

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

As a general comment..these days are all colour comm's yappin' too much during play? It's unlikely to find their tidbits more interesting than what's actually goin on...

I notice that color commentators have been taking more and more liberties with talking over the play after puck drops and I don't like it. 

I am sure it is the US influence as the commentators jabber on incessantly in MLBl.

Is it too much to ask for knowledgable and keen communicators?  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

It still boils down to the consistency of the players and lately we have been getting more from the ones who have been inconsistent earlier on. Luckily we have 2 capable goalies and a healthy Tanev and Edler to up our chances of winning, significantly.

Its a bit early to say the fate of TG yet as he has to keep these guys going for the other half of this season and hopefully the playoffs.

I am sure glad we got some of our energy guys back because we had some pretty non-inspired games when they were injured.

We are almost playing complete "60 minute" games and we will continue to be successful if we can keep this up and remain mostly injury free for the rest of the season.

I guess you missed the LA game... wink

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The Flame team from 3 years ago had a pretty solid d-core that sheltered their forwards to an extent. I didn’t see as much evidence of that last night. I never thought Johnny Hockey was as good for the long term as he was credited. Sam Bennet was rushed into the NHL the same way Virt was. Calgary was starved for talent the same as Van was. Green saved Virtanen ‘s career.

calgarys Defense is pretty solid still

5 hours ago, VEGETA said:

What a weekend. My first darling daughter was born on the 28th early in the morning.

Canucks win both games.

And the dolphins finished the season beating the patriots!!

Can that be topped?!?!

Missed both games but hey what an amazing time.

congrats buddy

2 hours ago, rekker said:

I hope you mean the issue was Dorsett having to continually battle up in weight class. The issue was the lack of depth and a proper wingman for the guy. Dorsett is missed.

No, while I recognise that Dorsett was often the only tough guy on the team, that is not what I was referencing.

Dorsett would have taken the bait from Lucic without considering the game situation.

I know Dorsett would have gone with Luch and Schaller would not, but Schally neutralized Luch, where as Dorsett's ego would have inflamed the situation and ignited the Flames.

I know it is not popular to speak poorly for Dorsett because, he is tougher than me, heart n sole guy, fought out of his weight class, yada... but I always thought Dorsett fought because he was small and had something to prove, not for the betterment of the club.

There was some talk abut how booing Doughty during the LA game would incite him to play better against the Canucks and work counter to the fans plan... it never happened. However, had Schaller ,(or Dorsett) let Lucic beat them up yesterday it may have got the Flames going.

Its pretty funny when you think about it, one NHL player telling another to "Relax"

"Relax, big Luchiebear, just for another 10 minutes and we'll leave town with 2 points"

It was pretty awesome actually.

• Cheers 1

gotta luv the addition of JT Miller...that boy brings grit, skill, hockey IQ and speed. Every thing you want in a top 3 player and in a player that this team needs now.

great trade....even if the first round pick turns out to be a good player....we have Lind, Podz, Hogs, and others that the 1st round pick would be competing with for a roster spot.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Pete M said:

gotta luv the addition of JT Miller...that boy brings grit, skill, hockey IQ and speed. Every thing you want in a top 3 player and in a player that this team needs now.

great trade....even if the first round pick turns out to be a good player....we have Lind, Podz, Hogs, and others that the 1st round pick would be competing with for a roster spot.

He is a huge key to our success.  He's relentless and is perfect for that line...just love him on the team.   A big wow factor out there...he's not just a workhorse but he's super skilled.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, lmm said:

No, while I recognise that Dorsett was often the only tough guy on the team, that is not what I was referencing.

Dorsett would have taken the bait from Lucic without considering the game situation.

I know Dorsett would have gone with Luch and Schaller would not, but Schally neutralized Luch, where as Dorsett's ego would have inflamed the situation and ignited the Flames.

I know it is not popular to speak poorly for Dorsett because, he is tougher than me, heart n sole guy, fought out of his weight class, yada... but I always thought Dorsett fought because he was small and had something to prove, not for the betterment of the club.

There was some talk abut how booing Doughty during the LA game would incite him to play better against the Canucks and work counter to the fans plan... it never happened. However, had Schaller ,(or Dorsett) let Lucic beat them up yesterday it may have got the Flames going.

Its pretty funny when you think about it, one NHL player telling another to "Relax"

"Relax, big Luchiebear, just for another 10 minutes and we'll leave town with 2 points"

It was pretty awesome actually.

Well thought out post with some good points. I get what your saying, like let sleeping dogs lie. Like when we played Iginla. Don't hit him and dont wake him up. 

17 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

He is a huge key to our success.  He's relentless and is perfect for that line...just love him on the team.   A big wow factor out there...he's not just a workhorse but he's super skilled.

Not bad for a overpriced, overpaid, 3rd/4th line cap dump.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

1 hour ago, lmm said:

I guess you missed the LA game... wink

I stated "Games" not "Game"...….wink. ::D