The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Dec. 29, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, VEGETA said:

What a weekend. My first darling daughter was born on the 28th early in the morning.

Canucks win both games.

And the dolphins finished the season beating the patriots!!

Can that be topped?!?!

Missed both games but hey what an amazing time.

Congratulations daddy.

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

That's exactly what I thought when I saw this post.  Nobody on our team can fight and hope to do anything but hold on - Dorsett would have fought and lost.  Insert Antoski or Gino or Tiger or Fraser into or Cox or a variety of other ex-Canucks and Lucic wouldn't be looking for trouble.   He's a bully with few sparring partners these days - have to say I do wish we had someone who could fight him on an even footing but we do not.  Dorsett lost most of his fights because he didn't have much size and ability to make it work.  Was still nice to have him.   Not many guys left that are decent fighters - Lucic wouldn't have had much fun playing ten or fifteeen years before his time.  He'd still fight but he picks his spots.

Remember the first real enforcer he fought was getting the better of him and he called the refs in right away to save him.  What a douche-bag bully.   McGratton - the last real good enforcer would have made mince meat out of him.  His fight card had some OK mid-range enforcers on it but that's it.  He shied away from the true tuff guys that were still around early on - coward bully. 

The fact that he's one of best fighters remaining is sad.  Reaves and Wilson would be below average by previous standards. 

Agree on Wilson

but Reaves could hold his own in any decade easily.

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

My prediction?

That you'll be in a lot of hot water if we don't.

Okay... If you say so there bud.  Are you going to fire him?  Or riot... Or really scary... Send him some white powder substance in the mail?  

Sorry most times I'm level headed but that was just a weak sauce comment.  If you don't like him fine, you have every right but I don't think any of us can deny his commitment to spending in all areas to improve this team and his fandom.  Regardless there's nothing we can do about getting rid of him if the team doesn't make the playoffs... Except of course... Boycott the team in protest.  

'Hot water'... More like 'hot air'.

:rolleyes:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Really?

Well luke warm water at least. I like that hes such a fan. And we all love the Aquaman when things are going well.

But he hired JB. And JB kinda put all his eggs in the basket to make those playoffs, including maxing out the cap and trading away a future 1st. If we don't make the playoffs we'll still have a lot of mid-talent players under contract who will be even harder to move, because not making it would also probably mean they didn't provide the support they were meant to. Which will put the team in a bit of a bind in carrying out a re-rebuild.

So yeah, if JB fails, Aquilini will get some of the residual heat.

But he's not going to fail, so it's all moot

:)

Edited by kilgore
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Well luke warm water at least. I like that hes such a fan. And we all love the Aquaman when things are going well.

But he hired JB. And JB kinda put all his eggs in the basket to make those playoffs, including maxing out the cap and trading away a future 1st. If we don't make the playoffs we'll still have a lot of mid-talent players under contract who will be even harder to move, because not making it would also probably mean they didn't provide the support they were meant to. Which will put the team in a bit of a bind in carrying out a re-rebuild.

So yeah, if JB fails, Aquilini will get some of the residual heat.

But he's not going to fail, so it's all moot

:)

I was a little harsh... I apologize.  No need for an attack on you.  :unsure:

I guess you just see it differently then I.  I don't know if he's a good human but I think JB was a great hire and business decisions by him. We as fans will feel the benefit from his hiring for years to come.  We already are.  I think you're a little short sighted but again we'll agree to disagree. 

Cheers and Happy New Year!

• Cheers 1

I gotta say, aquaman took a lot of flack earlier into his ownership. I think it was based on his business practices outside of hockey (but even that's unsubstantiated) as i have no idea what he did or didn't do. There was also rumours that he maximized the team value and then was looking to sell the team. That was also coupled with sky high ticket prices that the average fan couldn't afford. 

Many years later (almost a full decade after the cup run) we can see that we are pretty lucky as fans to have such a passionate and supportive owner. I gotta say, i was wrong about him and he has been great. There may have been some moves or non moves by GMMG and JB that Aquaman forced but i think he's learned from that and are letting his GMs do their job now. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, riffraff said:

Agree on Wilson

but Reaves could hold his own in any decade easily.

Not in the 90-2000's.   When some real scary dudes don't make the top 25 (back when they ranked them with magazines and fight gurus) in the mid 90's - sorry he wouldnt.  He's good by today's standards. Gino was 13-15th in 94-95,  Brashear didn't make the cut (did the following year).    Reaves wouldn't beat either of those guys - and Gino was average. 

8 hours ago, Timbermen said:

I like Francesco, i know he took a lot of flack about rebuilding and secretly managing the team but thats all just pure speculation. They're on the right path now. He knows the tradition of the Canucks and has done some really cool things this year like bringing in Gino Odjick on Aboriginal night. He's as much a Canuck fan as anyone.

They're on the right track for making trades and signings...didn't agree totally with the Ferland signing because of what is happening now, 100% against the LE signing but that is water under the bridge and he is a serviceable player (although overpaid). This past year for trades and signings, (other than the Ferland signing), they did well. On the fence about Beagle...Roussell was a great add...me think (mho) Baer would  make this team better compared to Schaller (move Leivo or LE down to the fourth line and play Baer with Horvat).

My prediction (quick look at the schedule) and depending on how TG uses the depth (i.e., not over playing a tired Edler and others), this team is playoff bound.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I was a little harsh... I apologize.  No need for an attack on you.  :unsure:

I guess you just see it differently then I.  I don't know if he's a good human but I think JB was a great hire and business decisions by him. We as fans will feel the benefit from his hiring for years to come.  We already are.  I think you're a little short sighted but again we'll agree to disagree. 

Cheers and Happy New Year!

I look at the hiring of Ferland, that was a gamble, he has concussion issues so not playing on the team, I can only hope it will not end Ferland's hockey career.

10 hours ago, rekker said:

The guy cares and it's not just an investment for him. That's pretty neat.

I really love that he's a fan first and foremost.  Not all teams have the luxury of a heart on the sleeve owner...to many, just another business to run.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

as for future signings and trades, they need to go after quality (Ian Cole) not quantity (MDZ, Pouliot, Larsen, Hutton). 

Capture.PNG.76de727854e50b8b4b54c5d7287e69b9.PNG

Ian was there for the taking, two years back...Willie Mitchell type player, but better....okay, the same.

Edited by Pete M
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, LateNightBus said:

I look at the hiring of Ferland, that was a gamble, he has concussion issues so not playing on the team, I can only hope it will not end Ferland's hockey career.

Being a GM at times requires taking risks. I think most here agreed, Ferland looked like a great risk to take.  So far it hasn't worked out.  JB strong suit as we know isn't trading or free agency, but i believe he's gotten better.  If we make the playoffs, we'll truly see the value of Ferland, Beagle, Schaller, Benn, Myers.  It can be argued that most of these guys are helping get us to the playoffs.  So the way i see it, I'll cross my fingers and take JBs mediocre free agency pick ups to continue watching his top notch drafting team go to work.  If a Stevie Y or Burnaby Joe was available then I'd want change but I think JB"a top 5 overall.