The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] . Is Stecher our only trade chip outside of prospects?

Benning says he wants to add a top 6 forward.  Question is how.  

Here are some thoughts.  

Current roster:

Boeser. — Pettersson. — Miller

PearsonHorvat — Eriksson

Roussel.Gaudette – Virtanen

Schaller – Beagle. -- Motte

Edler. – Tanev

Hughes – Myers

Fantenberg – Stecher

Markstrom

Demko

Benn

MacEwan

Baer

Goldobin 

Gryovic – IR

Sutter – IR

Levo – IR

Ferland – IR

Prospects:

RED = should not or Can’t trade. (Can’t trade Eriksson, should not trade Virtanen as he is finally looking like the player we have been waiting for him to become.)

Yellow – worth more to us than in a trade.  (we could probably trade Pearson but then we need another winger to play with Bo when Pearson has been playing with Bo well already.)

Cap issues:

• ν If we can give away Baer it would free up some space.
  • ν I don’t understand the cap very well, but if Levo’s 1.5 and Ferlands 3.5 are LTIR that should add to cap friendly’s projection of 1.5 million available at the trade deadline.  Maybe find a way to keep Sutter on the LTIR too?
  • ν Ferland should be shut down for the year – if he has relapses this easily and often he should be given 6+ months to heal – the nerves in his brain need time to regrow their protective coating which takes 6+ months. (my sister- in-law is an occupational therapist specializing in brain injuries which is where I get this number from)

In short, I think we have the cap space to add a $4-5 million forward.

Next:  What/who do we give up to get a forward?

Back to the colors – 

Roussel?  Might be worth something, but length of contract would drive down value and Jake’s game took off when Roussel came back and I think the two are linked. 

Schaller won’t be worth much – but a little – contract expires this year and it is a better year than last year.

Motte -- if we can replace from within, maybe, but he brings a lot for cheap and not sure he would fetch much at market. 

Benn – low value

Fantenberg – low value

Gaudette -- lots of value -- but would hate to let him go.

That leaves Prospects , Tanev, Stecher as our best trade value.

Tanev is a rental – nobody looking for a rental will give up a top 6 forward.

Is Stecher our only valuable trade piece?  Gaudette?

Are we willing to give up prospects?

Thoughts or comments?

Edited by dm_ranger
  • Cheers 2

there isn't much room to add another forward. he will have to move salary first. Not that it cant be done its just at what cost. IIf he cant move out salary I would prefer he doesn't move prospects or draft picks at this time. Let the current roster develop and see what happens.

Having said that the Miller trade looks like a steal.

We are not adding one unless we can clear up some cap. It'll be easier to move some of these guys when they have 1 year left but right now Baer/Sutter/Benn/etc have two.

So we could sign one if we have enough cap after re-signing Virtanen/Gaud/Tanev/Marky.

Realistically I don't see us getting another one unless some prospect steps up or when Roussel, Beagle, Luongo and Eriksson's contract is up. We will have a bunch of cap then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

image.png

NO to moving Stech.  Guy's a workhorse and plays much bigger than his size.  Saw him lay someone out last game I was at.  Never takes a shift off, EVER.

He is probably gone next year. He is under the same circumstance as Hutton. Gonna have a much higher qualifying offer and we have to sign a bunch of guys. Rafferty will probably replace him next year

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, aliboy said:

I suspect we will also have to make room to sign Tram, unless IR does the trick. 

I think he signs a 1 year deal to start. For management to see his worth and for him to decide if he wants to play in the NHL after that year.

If he comes back.

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He is probably gone next year. He is under the same circumstance as Hutton. Gonna have a much higher qualifying offer and we have to sign a bunch of guys. Rafferty will probably replace him next year

I know it...but I'm in denial.  Good ol' Richmond boy...brought up playing at Seafair and/or Minoru.  Sigh.

• Upvote 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

I know it...but I'm in denial.  Good ol' Richmond boy...brought up playing at Seafair and/or Minoru.  Sigh.

Troy from Richmond.  He used to (as a boy) call in to the local sport’s radio shows, and that was what he called himself.  I think we could still sign him, but after we let him go to Free Agency.  

• Like 1

I was pretty adamant about not moving Stetch before this season, and while I still love him to death, with Rafferty waiting in the wings and Fantenburg's emergence as a viable NHL defenseman, I'd be okay with moving Stetcher out. He's going to be due for a pretty significant raise once he becomes an RFA, and with Markstrom and Virtanen coming up this year, and Hughes, Petey and Demko coming up next year, we need to ship out all of the unnecessary salary we can. 

i say  unload tanev at deadline for max value to leafs or anyone out east. trade baertchi for a cap dump out east. Retain half of sutters salary and dump him as well. benn has value as does stecher. We need to sign tryamkin  resign jake gaudette and marky and hughes and petey the following yr 

• Upvote 2

Adding a top 6 forward will be very difficult with our cap situation. But we have some B prospects that may be of value to other teams or they make someone else we like expendable. The long forgotten Linus Karlsson and Madden could potentially make Gaudette expendable if management is high on either or both of them. I know, a bit of a taboo statement but if a top 6 forward in the 25-27 age range can be had for Gaudette+ we'd have to look into it. 

Athanasiou is a guy I'd be calling Detroit about. Scored 30 last season, having a down year this year on a abysmal Detroit team. Could be had cheapish and I trust him to be a good top 6 option. Kicker is he is only 25. Kreider is a scary name and being a bigger name they may ask for more than we'd like to pay. On top of being a UFA this summer. Winnipeg may move on from Roslovic but he is more or less another tweener/fringe guy. Not a legit top 6 guy right now.

Tyler Toffoli could be a decent top 6 RW add. Being a divisional rival could complicate things but should still be mentioned. A bit of a Canuck killer, at the very least it'd be nice to take him off LA. Lol. And there was past rumors about Benning being interested in Zucker. With Fenton gone maybe the unreal asking price went with him.

No Demko is also a chip.  If Marky signs long term then it makes no sense to keep Demko around as he could be a valuable chip in a trade and he also would have to be exposed in the expansion draft.  Same with Stecher.  He is due for a big raise, won't be protected in the expansion draft and we have Rafferty waiting in the wings.

So we could package Demko AND Stecher which should land us a good young top 6 forward.  The only problem would be the cap space for next year.  Unless Loui retires or we can trade Sutter and Baertschi we may not have the room to add another top 6 forward.

• Upvote 1

Demko or Markstrom , but not both, can be used in trade, maybe Columbus needs a goalie?

Schaller, Motte, Lievo (when healthy) and Pearson could also be trade bait.

One or two of Tanev, Benn and Fantenberg and Stetcher can also be moved.

Edit to add, depending on how the Canuck play off push is going.

Edited by gurn

46 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Can’t help but think that Stecher hasn’t looked anywhere nearly as good without his former partner.  Not saying Hutton was carrying him (if anything, it was Stecher carrying HIM) but sometimes certain players seem to fit together really well for whatever reason.

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No Demko is also a chip.  If Marky signs long term then it makes no sense to keep Demko around as he could be a valuable chip in a trade and he also would have to be exposed in the expansion draft.  Same with Stecher.  He is due for a big raise, won't be protected in the expansion draft and we have Rafferty waiting in the wings.

So we could package Demko AND Stecher which should land us a good young top 6 forward.  The only problem would be the cap space for next year.  Unless Loui retires or we can trade Sutter and Baertschi we may not have the room to add another top 6 forward.

JB said last summer he has a plan in place to get back the first we gave up to get Miller.  Since he said that, I’ve been thinking Demko is trades at the 2020 draft.  What playoff team needs a top young goalie?  The pick we give to TBay will be IMO this draft and 20-31.  I think Demko gets us something in the same area.  20 to 40. 

• Upvote 1

Fantenberg might have made Benn the best piece to move. I'm not sure how valued Stech is outside of this market. 

I don't think Benn on his own gets us a "top 6" and I'm not sure we really want to give up any assets at this point in the later-stage rebuild process. 

I'm fine with standing pat tbh, make the run for the playoffs with the current staff. There will be more injuries at some point. 

• Upvote 3