The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] . Is Stecher our only trade chip outside of prospects?

35 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Sadly this could be the most coveted prize that teams giving up a top six forward would be interested in.

But if he's turning into a top 6 forward, why part with someone who's currently making $1.25 million? He's on pace for 46+ points. 

I'd say keep him. He's finally turning into a scoring threat. He and Gaudette are really making great strides. 

Sutter now has a limited NTC. He'd be a good trade piece if he could just stay healthy.  I think Motte is a guy you want to keep. Schaller despite the fact he has flashes of offence, is more of a checking winger despite scoring 4 goals.

Leivo and Stecher I'm really on the fence on. I don't want to see Stecher go, but if Rafferty or Juolevi can take the spot? 

Fantom is worth a gamble for 1-2 seasons more. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dm_ranger said:

Let me make it clear. I don’t want to move Stecher. I’m asking if he is the only movable piece we have. And we have some depth in that spot with prospects. 
I’m also bringing this up because

Benning said he wants to add a winger this season. I’m asking how is he going to do it?

Maybe Jimbo's finally getting smart/cagey enough to use media as a diversion(not implying he wasn't..perhaps he's always been too damned honest?!)

So, say you want some D-depth. Make it incidental within deals, using lackey media to keep the dogs off the scent? Pretending you're targeting something diff.

***************There's a bigger question, for which I've sought opinions*****************

Is JB willing to part with some excellent prospect/youth, in order to send out costly, ineffective contracts(by attaching both)? Either in-season, or at the draft, I strongly feel this is a (somewhat sh*tty) option they'll HAVE to entertain, in order to re-sign all our key components.

17 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

But if he's turning into a top 6 forward, why part with someone who's currently making $1.25 million? He's on pace for 46+ points. 

I'd say keep him. He's finally turning into a scoring threat. He and Gaudette are really making great strides. 

Sutter now has a limited NTC. He'd be a good trade piece if he could just stay healthy.  I think Motte is a guy you want to keep. Schaller despite the fact he has flashes of offence, is more of a checking winger despite scoring 4 goals.

Leivo and Stecher I'm really on the fence on. I don't want to see Stecher go, but if Rafferty or Juolevi can take the spot? 

Fantom is worth a gamble for 1-2 seasons more. 

I say so as well but it's Benning the one saying he wants to get a top 6 guy... i was just thinking that teams would want Jake the most in return.

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tkachuk is better than a first round pick. He’s already developed. He’s dying a slow death in Ottawa.  Put him on a line with Petey and Brock and he could hit 70 points.  But I doubt Ottawa trades him. He’s one of their only bright spots along with Chabot. 

Yeah, would count that as most unlikely too.

Bet it's a higher % chance OTT sends a beautiful(youth & picks) pkg to Flamers, & creates a terrible-tandem of both Tkachuks in the nation's capital.

Imagine the Snarks pick IS a top-7 OA. Then add Batherson & another young piece(maybe Docker?). Holy tempting for Flamers.

• Haha 1

I am opened to moving Stecher if the Canucks don't see a future for him in the roster.  Kinda see the same situation unfolding for him like Hutton, not going to generate much interest, and likely garners or asks for a lot this coming summer (has arbitration rights).  

But I don't think people outside our organization/fanbase value Stecher as much as we do.  Frankly, I think Benning thinks highly of Stecher, but the coaching staff evidently doesn't see him in the same light.  its obvious through the sparingly use of him (even Benn and Fantenberg average more icetime than him) and doesn't play any special team roles.  Travis Green and staff seem to like having players play a certain role and have some sort of responsibility on the special teams (another reason besides the concussions that is keeping Baertschi out of this lineup).  

If we moved Stecher, I'd want another depth 5/6 dman that can take some responsibility away from Myers, Tanev, and Edler on the PK.  Need to save those three for a run down the stretch.  Stecher is a great battler, but comes down what does he bring as a whole, and its not very much honestly.

I would consider packaging Stecher, Eriksson & 3rd rd 2021 for Palmieri. Might also be interested Subban depending at what cost Devils said they would retain Salary. 

Another package i could see Stecher, Eriksson, Baertschi & 3rd rd 2021 ( turns to a 2nd rd If Simmond re-signs)  for Simmonds & Subban 

if i’m a team with an available top 6 winger, i’m asking for markstrom or possible demko. if demko, i’ld want more, maybe a pick or good prospect. i don’t want louie, baertschi, goldobin, sutter or schaller unless their needed to make the money work. 

canucks have 3 or 4 good prospects that could make this team in the next couple of years. 

you have ask yourselves, if these players were offered to me, who would i give up for any of them and would i want them? if i take stecher and i like him, who would i be willing to give up? 

I believe Stecher is more valuable than only his on ice skill and I would not want to see him go. He seems to be a great teammate, puts the team first, is driven and a warrior. Attributes that will help in the playoffs. Still I don't think comparing him with Hutton justified. Their point totals are comparable, but Stecher has always had the much better +/- and was more reliable and steady. Might be that he will be too expensive for JB's taste, but I'd consider him the better player.

Hutton stats in his four years with Vancouver:

2015-16 3.png Vancouver Canucks NHL 75 1 24 25 14 -21 |              
  31.png Canada WC 5 0 1 1 0 3 |              
2016-17 3.png Vancouver Canucks NHL 71 5 14 19 31 -22 |              
2017-18 3.png Vancouver Canucks NHL 61 0 6 6 23 -9 |              
2018-19 3.png Vancouver Canucks NHL 69 5 15 20 43 -23 |

Stecher:

2016-17 3.png Vancouver Canucks NHL 71 3 21 24 25 -16 |              
  6.png Utica Comets AHL 4 0 1 1 4 0 |              
2017-18 3.png Vancouver Canucks NHL 68 1 10 11 35 -7 |              
2018-19 3.png Vancouver Canucks NHL 78 2 21 23 32 9 |              
  31.png Canada WC 10 1 2 3 2 9 |              
2019-20 3.png Vancouver Canucks NHL 40 2 5 7 24 4

Something has to give eventually on the back end. There are a few defensemen in Utica almost ready to step in. Stecher or Tanev should be made available if there is any interest from other teams.

Edited by Beefcake
wrong spelling

8 hours ago, WCE said:

I would consider packaging Stecher, Eriksson & 3rd rd 2021 for Palmieri. Might also be interested Subban depending at what cost Devils said they would retain Salary. 

Another package i could see Stecher, Eriksson, Baertschi & 3rd rd 2021 ( turns to a 2nd rd If Simmond re-signs)  for Simmonds & Subban 

At first I was going to say "no" seeing how atrocious PK's cap hit and term were (Stecher has one less point and is faring much better +/- wise).

If they retain then I would look into it, could try to salvage some value for PK.  If we don't retain then it's a net gain in cap space and a potential asset.

Stecher has some value as a utility guy who can slot in any pairing but if Rafferty's ready then the writing just might be on the wall.

At least we can acquire a hard-nosed, playoff type guy in Simmonds and have only one negative value player vs. two since Sven and Loui are gone.

18 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Fantenberg might have made Benn the best piece to move. I'm not sure how valued Stech is outside of this market. 

Not that he's at the same level but if anything, Fantenberg might make moving Tanev more palatable.

Still unlikely we move Tanev as we're in a playoff chase but it's not impossible either. And that still leaves us with Edler, Myers, Benn and Fantenberg to kill penalties not to mention Tryamkin possibly returning (largely playing a defensive/PK role in Russia) and any of Sautner, Brisebois or perhaps even Juolevi later this season available for depth. 

And that's even if we move Stecher and call up Rafferty to replace him.

For the record, I wouldn't hate us being in on Saad out of CHI.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Type R said:

Personally, I'm not convinced we need a top 6 unless they are an elite talent, which won't be cheap.

Patience may be our best option.  Podkolzin, Hoglander are waiting in the wings, and will be very affordable on ELC, and Jake may still develop further.

We have a glut of C+ players that need new homes, and I could see Jim chasing a top 4 Dman instead.

Reduce cap commitment, and continue to develop, and this team will be a powerhouse.  When we are a contender, maybe bring in a Vet for depth at trade deadline and go for Lord Stanley.

I agree we don't want to use him to get a top 6 guy we want more picks

With quite a few good prospects in the pipe line, why not trade Gaud or Madden and Demko(if the Canucks believe Dipietro is the guy for the future) for some young developing dmen like Fabbro or P.Myers?  I would hate to lose two of those guys with their potential but to get another young stud dmen to go along with this core will make the team stronger in the long run I think. With the way Benning has been drafting, the prospect pool is looking great but you can't keep them all so why not trade a few for 1 great dmen like Fabbro or any other future star dmen

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Not that he's at the same level but if anything, Fantenberg might make moving Tanev more palatable.

Still unlikely we move Tanev as we're in a playoff chase but it's not impossible either. And that still leaves us with Edler, Myers, Benn and Fantenberg to kill penalties not to mention Tryamkin possibly returning (largely playing a defensive/PK role in Russia) and any of Sautner, Brisebois or perhaps even Juolevi later this season available for depth. 

And that's even if we move Stecher and call up Rafferty to replace him.

For the record, I wouldn't hate us being in on Saad out of CHI.

happy new year 'gent.

Yeah I like having all those d options, I guess Tryamkin would force Stech out assuming he'd come right after his KHL season... but not necessarily if they go with carrying 8 d and then Troy's in the press box. Not ideal but if the team actually makes the playoffs we will need the depth. 

I think if a d is traded, it will probably have more to do with the acquiring teams needs for either a LD or RD than a guy we prefer to move. If a 2nd rounder was on the table I doubt Jim would care if its Benn or Stecher tbh, we can fill in the spot either way.

Add in Saad for depth? sure why not? :lol: I don't know how the Saad trade would work cap-wise. A Toffoli deal would be better tho, I'd sure like to see Pearson-Bo-Toffoli heading into march.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Stetcher is over hyped in vancouver...

Smallish defensman who doesn't translate his size into speed.

Cannot shoot the puck.

He has 7 points...

Development is non existant (this is usually the stat that chases you out of town)

How exactly is he even a trade chip?

People on here overrate Canuck players. Stecher isn't very good.

Remember when people thought Baer wouldn't clear waivers?

Before that it was Rodin?

Anything Troy can do Quinn does better and that's 1 too many small dman on the blue line for me.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

People on here overrate Canuck players. Stecher isn't very good.

Remember when people thought Baer wouldn't clear waivers?

Before that it was Rodin?

Anything Troy can do Quinn does better and that's 1 too many small dman on the blue line for me.

:blink: Kelly Hrudey did a little iso review of how Stecher is good at a number of defensive skills. He's a solid #6. He's nothing like Rodin or post-concussion Baer. 

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

:blink: Kelly Hrudey did a little iso review of how Stecher is good at a number of defensive skills. He's a solid #6. He's nothing like Rodin or post-concussion Baer. 

Exactly. A number 6. I don't think a #6 dman gets you a top 6 forward.

I realize Stecher is better than Baer and Rodin my point is that people overvalue our talent.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Stech is a good bottom pair guy that could slot into the top 4 fora short time if needed. Won't dazzle you with his points etc but he tries hard. Question is going forward how much more can we pay a 3rd pairing D like Stech? 

2.325m on his current deal, maybe a 4yr 10m contract?

If the roster ever gets healthy.

Miller Petey Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Leivo 

Roussel Gaudette Virtanen 

Ferland Beagle Sutter 

Motte

Could also see motte sutter and leivo being moved if the canucks are outside the playoffs. 

Eriksson and schaller waived.

Graovac, Macewan, Baertschi, Goldobin in the Ahl.

Edler Myers 

Hughes Tanev 

Fantenburg Stecher 

Benn 

Marky 

Demko

Canucks are not especially deep on rhd as is.

Stecher rfa and tanev ufa at seasons end.

If Stecher is moved it will be as a package for a better D

Stecher

Baertschi 

For 

Severson

:ph34r:

Edit.

Stech is a solid #6 the only problem is the depth ahead of him.

Edited by GhostsOf1994