The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Disscussion] Rebuilt, Rebuilding and Perspective

Rebuilt, Rebuilding or Ready  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Individual perspective has to do with satisfaction and satisfaction has to do with personal goals, desires and internal drive.

If you don't care about who wins or loses,then the happy face

If you just like the look of hair, then the happy face.

If you just like to be in crowds, then the happy face.

If it just watching the "boys" play, then the happy face

So satisfaction is easy because you would watch grass grow and pay $100 to do so as long as you were part of the herd grazing.

In reality you should just go watch minor hockey and support the growth of the game because your expectations are just have fun.

If you think this team is rebuilt, done and ready for the next step towards greatness you may have issues ignoring the ages of the players or the fact as they get older their skills decline, that concussed players are easier to repeat, believing that the older crash and banger players will not be injured or play every game the same way or perhaps you start thinking EA sports type trades where the cap doesn't count and all teams agree, sort of like having the "god" button pushed. Here is a tidbit, the last time the Canucks were good, really good, just about all the players were in their prime, around 25 to 29 yrs old, being led by 30 yr old Sedins.

IMO, this team is still or should be rebuilding, too many older 2nd,3rd and 4th liners with massive contracts, not enough high level draft picks ready for prime time, a dangerous lack of quality depth on defence and an inexplicable plan for Expansion and contracts two years from now. Without "inside" information then what the eyes see is all there is. They should be rebuilding for when Bo is around 26 for a big playoff push, another two years and possible 4 top quality draft picks.

The future looks like; you know it is easier to see who is not on the team than to guess who is or should be, some players are just obvious due to age, injury or stats

Roussel

Beagle - 36+

Eriksson - at last its over

Markstrom - 32 - One had to go, him or Demko - 26

Edler - 36+ and injuries

Ferland - LTIR - too many concussions

Baertschi  - Utica anyway and concussions

Sutter - 32 - injuries

Schaller - stats

Leivo - injuries

All of these will need a younger player with more upside, truthfully all help now, some a lot more than others but two years down the line there may be 40 players that could take their roster spots.

Kind of makes them all trade assets over the next year or so.

Of all the prospects/picks with a pretty good 100% chance of making it are Tryamkin, DiPietro and Rafferty, of these two have played in the NHL already and were good to okay, Rafferty has become the #1 D guy in Utica followed closely by Brisebois and Saunter, the rest are hopefuls only until they get some NHL time.

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy
  • Wat 1

Every single word of this post made me feel like my brain was spinning around inside my skull

And not in a good way lol

I can't even discern what you're getting at here so I can't comment constructively and your poll makes little to no sense

So here is a picture of a bird

spacer.png

Edited by BrockBoester
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

Every single word of this post made me feel like my brain was spinning around inside my skull

And not in a good way lol

I can't even discern what you're getting at here so I can't comment constructively and your poll makes little to no sense

So here is a picture of a bird

spacer.png

First modest bird I've spotted in decades!

• Cheers 1

Individual perspective has to do with satisfaction and satisfaction has to do with personal goals, desires and internal drive.

If you don't care about who wins or loses,then the happy face

If you just like the look of hair, then the happy face.

If you just like to be in crowds, then the happy face.

If it just watching the "boys" play, then the happy face

So satisfaction is easy because you would watch grass grow and pay $100 to do so as long as you were part of the herd grazing.

In reality you should just go watch minor hockey and support the growth of the game because your expectations are just have fun.

If you think this team is rebuilt, done and ready for the next step towards greatness you may have issues ignoring the ages of the players or the fact as they get older their skills decline, that concussed players are easier to repeat, believing that the older crash and banger players will not be injured or play every game the same way or perhaps you start thinking EA sports type trades where the cap doesn't count and all teams agree, sort of like having the "god" button pushed. Here is a tidbit, the last time the Canucks were good, really good, just about all the players were in their prime, around 25 to 29 yrs old, being led by 30 yr old Sedins.

IMO, this team is still or should be rebuilding, too many older 2nd,3rd and 4th liners with massive contracts, not enough high level draft picks ready for prime time, a dangerous lack of quality depth on defence and an inexplicable plan for Expansion and contracts two years from now. Without "inside" information then what the eyes see is all there is. They should be rebuilding for when Bo is around 26 for a big playoff push, another two years and possible 4 top quality draft picks.

The future looks like; you know it is easier to see who is not on the team than to guess who is or should be, some players are just obvious due to age, injury or stats

Roussel

Beagle - 36+

Markstrom - 32 - One had to go, him or Demko - 26

Edler - 36+ and injuries

Ferland - LTIR - too many concussions

Baertschi  - Utica anyway and concussions

Sutter - 32 - injuries

Schaller - stats

Leivo - injuries

All of these will need a younger player with more upside, truthfully all help now, some a lot more than others but two years down the line there may be 40 players that could take their roster spots.

Of all the prospects/picks with a pretty good 100% chance of making it are Tryamkin, DiPietro and Rafferty, of these two have played in the NHL already and were good to okay, Rafferty has become the #1 D guy in Utica followed closely by Brisebois and Saunter, the rest are hopefuls only until they get some NHL time.

I'm going to rewrite this as I see it.

Individual perspective has to do with dissatisfaction and dissatisfaction has to do with goals that maybe haven't been met in life, desires and internal drive that we seek from outside sources rather than focusing on self.

If you don't care about who wins or loses then you likely aren't even here because we all care.  It's why we sign up.  Most care, but know it's out of our control so we don't worry because that stuff's not fun at all.

If you just like the look of hair, then become a hairdresser

If you just like to be in crowds go to the mall on Boxing Day and leave us hockey people alone

If it just watching the "boys" play then you're sexist...girls play too.

So satisfaction is easy because you are content and pay $100 for a night out with friends and some entertainment.  Plus, some damn good hockey.

In reality you should just go watch minor hockey too and support the growth of the game because you're doing it right.  (Did you slam minor hockey?  Shows what you know...it's pretty damn great too).

Or perhaps reality is that the "boys" will play despite what we mutter from the crowd/forums/etc. so it's part of accepting that we are just there to cheer them on.  Not to coach, make trades, hire or fire.

I'll add:  if you're only here to convince everyone that you have all the answers...are you my ex husband?

Satisfaction comes when you have a good grip on the things you cannot change.  And when you accept that this deal is not to be taken so seriously that we can't just have fun with it.  Or admire a good flow once in awhile (instead of white boards that our mother gave us one Christmas when we were nine).

If you think this team is rebuilt, done and ready for the next step towards greatness you may have issues ignoring the ages of the players

Are we ignoring the old ones or you ignoring the young ones?  Hmmm.

or the fact as they get older their skills decline, that concussed players are easier to repeat, believing that the older crash and banger players will not be injured or play every game the same way or perhaps you start thinking EA sports type trades where the cap doesn't count and all teams agree, sort of like having the "god" button pushed. Here is a tidbit, the last time the Canucks were good, really good, just about all the players were in their prime, around 25 to 29 yrs old, being led by 30 yr old Sedins.

Newsflash...the Canucks are on the road to being pretty good.  You're just stuck in the past.

Most players have been banged up...many concussed.  This isn't isolated to the Canucks.  If you're trying to find unbruised fruit, the guys banged around on ice every game likely aren't the best place to shop for it.

IMO,

That's yours, we have ours.

this team is still or should be rebuilding, too many older 2nd,3rd and 4th liners with massive contracts, not enough high level draft picks ready for prime time, a dangerous lack of quality depth on defence and an inexplicable plan for Expansion and contracts two years from now. Without "inside" information then what the eyes see is all there is.

They should be rebuilding for when Bo is around 26 for a big playoff push, another two years and possible 4 top quality draft picks.

I'm sure they are...they just never sent you/me the memoes.

Roussel - what's not to love?  He's showing this guy what no I in team means

Beagle - 36+  love him...w/e

Markstrom - 32 - One had to go, him or Demko - 26 I could be dead by then...I'm enjoying them in the here and now

Edler - 36+ and injuries but boy, what an awesome stud of a d man he's been....so loyal (unlike some)

Ferland - LTIR - too many concussions  brings beast mode whenever he can...hope he recovers soon

Baertschi  - Utica anyway and concussions miss him but...

Sutter - 32 - injuries  he's grown on me

Schaller - stats   love his energy

Leivo - injuries  hustles and has been huge in clutch situation

Anxiety means you worry in advance and over things you cannot control.  My good God, I'm sure the guys who do this for a living are "on it".

All teams based their hopes on "hopefuls" to some degree.  That's why they're called "prospects" and not "pros".

Nothing to see here.  Again.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

What I think the OP is saying is that the rebuild isn't over yet and that we should be continuing the rebuild until the real window opens in a couple years. I think....

But here's the thing. Well run franchises never stop "rebuilding". Sure, they may sell some picks or younger players to chase success, but they never completely take their eye off the future. As long as we keep this mindset I really don't think there's a reason to worry. 

The OP made a list of some of the older or more beaten up players that are going to need turning over before we're "ready to compete", but the list in question is mostly comprised of replaceable pieces, with the only real exceptions being Edler and Markstrom, of which we already have replacements for (Hughes and Demko/DiPietro). 

As far as forwards go, we're pretty much set for the foreseeable future. 4 out of 6 of our top six forwards are 26 or younger and are already firmly established. Pearson is only a year older at 27, Virtanen is showing signs of becoming the top 6 forward we drafted, Gaudette is showing signs of having top 6 upside as well, not to mention we have Hoglander, Podkolzin, Madden and Lind still in the system, all of which have top 6 potential. 

Goaltending-wise we're pretty damn strong as well. If we're intent on keeping both Marky and Demko through the expansion draft, the option always exists to cough up a pick or something to Seattle in exchange for leaving both goaltenders alone. And if we do end up having to move one of them before the expansion draft, we'll likely get a pretty strong asset in return for one of them. Long and short of it is that while our goaltending situation going into the expansion draft is a problem, it's a good problem to have. We essentially have too much of a good thing. 

The defense is where things get sketchy. We have Hughes who's likely going to be replacing Edler as the top pairing guy on the left side, but other than that we're pretty thing as far as young, high end D. We have Woo developing in junior, Rafferty and Juolevi in Utica, and Tryam maybe possibly fingers crossed coming back soon. Luckily, we have a couple more drafts before this team enters it's "peak", and a pretty significant surplus of movable assets up front as well. Between the next 2 upcoming drafts, potential trades and free agent signings, I'm pretty confident we can get the defenders we need. 

Bottom line is that we're in pretty solid shape moving forward. 

• Cheers 1

I voted yes, because although we will continue to add kids from Utica as they mature, we are exiting the rebuild phase and should be competing and pushing for playoffs every year.

When we made the push for a cup, we emptied what amounted to a badly stocked cupboard to make the push. I believe in a Cap NHL, good teams are generally in a constant state of rebuild, continually pushing to replace aging core players. When I look at a team like San Jose, I see a team that is generally loading up on guys who are on the wrong side of the development curve and I believe that is the biggest reason for their current position. 

In the cap NHL, you need to be able to look at your players and make a decision to move guys at the right time and not over commit to them, too far into their 30's.

The Canucks made this mistake with Eriksson, NJ just made the mistake betting on Subban and there's more examples around the NHL. I think, smart teams will steer away from long term contracts to guys who are 30 or over and will instead, opt to keep their development pool active and keep pulling kids up from the minors to replenish.

If we can keep this philosophy and with Benning's drafting record, we should be able to replenish at will in the coming years.

The team will never be done rebuilding, as none ever are.

Think about how different it was three years ago, to now.

Now think ahead three years.

The real key to sustaining a very high end core, is bringing in lower assets, pumping their tires with the core, and flipping for equal, but ELC level type talent to repeat this process up to a few times. It's how the teams who have won multiple cups in the cap era have done it.

We are two seasons away before you start seeing major young pieces both brought in and out of this team, in order to juice it for its full worth.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'll add:  if you're only here to convince everyone that you have all the answers...are you my ex husband?

damn that's scorching

i could feel that burn all the way over here

i wonder if he will need first aid at an emergency ward somewhere

better send over an ambulance quick

ouch

:bigblush:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone have a crystal ball? I have some question, that need answering...……..

Actually, I want to give it to Benning.....there is a lot of unanswered questions, he needs answered

Maybe he can borrow Alf's, that is it!

Anyone seen Alf?

See the source image

Edited by janisahockeynut

Honestly teams are never perfect but I doubt we're very far off.

We have, the Lotto line, emerging scoring depth (Pearson/ Bo/ Jake/ Leivo/ Gaudette/ Roussel), some good grinders (Motte, Beagle, MacEwen) and young guns who could be final pieces to the forward equation (as mentioned the prospects).  Some solid back end pieces too.  Sure we might have some dead weight but give it time and the creme will rise to the top while the dead weights will fall off and the team will be ready to go. 

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1