Sign in to follow this  
nuckin_futz

U.S. air strike kills top Iranian military general and Iraqi commander at Baghdad’s international airport

On the news, they said that Trump will impose economic sanctions on Iraq if US is forced to pull out their troop from Iraq.

I guess Trump wants to flex his muscles on all of the Middle East. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

US President Trump says there will be major retaliation against Iran if they "do anything"

Mon 6 Jan 2020 00:24:16 GMT

US President Trump speaking on the conflict with Iran 

• he is willing to go after Iranian cultural sites since Iran has killed Americans
  • he will consider releasing intelligence related to the killing of Iranian official
  • there will be a "major retaliation" against Iran if Iran retaliates

Also:

• He does not think North Korea's Kim Jong Un will break his word
  • but maybe he will 

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/us-president-trump-says-there-will-be-major-retaliation-against-iran-if-they-do-anything-20200106

Trump administration tried to stop Iraqi parliament's vote on expelling US troops: report

The Trump administration tried to stop an Iraqi vote to expel the U.S. military from the country after an American airstrike killed top Iranian military commander Gen. Qassem Soleimani, Axios reported Sunday. 

Two U.S. officials and an Iraqi government official familiar with the situation told Axios that the Trump administration tried to persuade top Iraqi officials to kill the parliamentary effort.

Iraq's parliament reportedly voted Sunday to approve of the expulsion of the U.S. military following last week’s attack that killed Soleimani. 

A U.S. official familiar with the effort told Axios that expelling the U.S. military from Iraq "would be inconvenient for us, but it would be catastrophic for Iraq."

"It's our concern that Iraq would take a short-term decision that would have catastrophic long-term implications for the country and its security," the official told Axios.

"But it's also what would happen to them financially if they allowed Iran to take advantage of their economy to such an extent that they would fall under the sanctions that are on Iran," the official added. "We don't want to see that. We're trying very hard to work to have that not happen."

A senior Iraqi official told Axios that many Kurdish and Sunni members of parliament, who tend to be more supportive of the U.S. presence in Iraq, did not attend the vote to expel the U.S. presence. 

"This is a temporary victory for the parties which are pro-Iranian," the official told Axios. "But it's also a clear message from the Sunnis and from the Kurds [who didn't vote] and from some Iraqi Shia for the Americans to tell them we want you to stay in Iraq."

A spokesperson for the White House was not immediately available for comment.

https://thehill.com/policy/international/middle-east-north-africa/476864-trump-administration-tried-to-stop-iraqi

No link for the following comments but audio reports are that Trump has said if US troops leave Iraq, that Iraq must pay the United States (no specific $ amount mentioned). Has also threatened Iraq with sanctions. It's is not clear for what exactly. Trump says US troops will not leave Iraq without payment.

Wasn't it not too long ago the US couldn't wait to get out of Iraq because so many American soldiers were being killed by IED Bombs???

Obama pulled out most of his active soldiers.  Then they were put back in to deal with the creation of ISIS... Obama had mostly finished the job, then Drumpf came in and said he wanted to unilateraly withdraw... said ISIS was defeated.

Now Drumpf is reversing himself again and saying he won't leave no matter what Iraq says... wonder what the American people will say when the whole country of Iraq becomes outraged and starts making bombs and killing Americans?

Logic never was Drumpf's strong point.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*

5 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I have never praised US military intervention and you know that. Iran is funding one side US and Arabia funding the other side. Iran funds terrorists also so they have it coming in a way.

So.  What does Saudi Arabia and America have coming then

4 hours ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Perhaps you had a little trouble with reading, comprehension and logic as well? With all due respect, I'd suggest you go back and carefully reread my post, resisting the urge to respond until you understand the points I'm making and until you brush up on your understanding of modern warfare tactics employed by Islamic Republic of Iran and other Radical Jihadists. 

When was the last time the US or Israel blew up/attacked an Iranian place of worship? or an Iranian embassy? Iranian shopping mall? Iranian community center?

The kindergarten map you presented (and subsequent argument about the US presence) is really part of a larger straw-man argument based in ignorance and intellectual dishonesty. What you conveniently fail to mention is that most of those locations exist at the request and/or permission of the individual sovereign states. They exist mainly to deter Iranian/Radical Jihadi aggression.

iran 1.png

iran 3.jpg

Iran 4.png

Wait really?

4 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

You are just showing how ignorant you are by suggesting a link between Sunnis and Shias.

All the Islamic terrorists groups you show in the map of US who have actually done anything are SUNNI muslim... Iran is Shia.  Sunnis hate Shias... in Afghanistan the Sunni Taliban/ISIS regularly massacre Shias.

Conflating Sunni Terrorists with Shias is just stupid... they have zero connection.  There have been no overt terrorist acts in the US linked to Shias.

Sunni Muslims originate from Saudi Arabia, not Iran. 

Sunnis are Al Quaeda/ISIS/Taliban/etc... the ones who attack the US in 911 and all over Europe.  That fundamentalist Sunni group originates in Saudi Arabia.

Shias are Hezbollah/Iran.  They are fighting Al Quaeda/ISIS/Taliban.  They are also fighting Israel... for good reason, Israel regularly invades/bombs Lebanon where Hezbollah is based and where Shias are the largest ethnic group.  Iran supports Syrian government because of the Alawite Shia population there who were being massacred by ISIS Syrians.  Yeah, the Syrian government is a nasty bunch, but so are the Rebels which are mostly either ISIS or Al Quaeda.

I didn't even want to bother responding.

But if Scooby here knew anything.  He'd know Israel has bombed or attacked Iranians no less than 8 times in the last 6 years.

Claiming self defense, but in fact a few times murdering innocent civilians claiming they were stopping weapons or the like.

At this point there's literally no reason to respond because this individual made their mind up.

Obviously the US is not the problem to them.  Obviously

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

US President Trump says there will be major retaliation against Iran if they "do anything"

Mon 6 Jan 2020 00:24:16 GMT

US President Trump speaking on the conflict with Iran 

• he is willing to go after Iranian cultural sites since Iran has killed Americans
  • he will consider releasing intelligence related to the killing of Iranian official
  • there will be a "major retaliation" against Iran if Iran retaliates

Also:

• He does not think North Korea's Kim Jong Un will break his word
  • but maybe he will 

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/us-president-trump-says-there-will-be-major-retaliation-against-iran-if-they-do-anything-20200106

Trump administration tried to stop Iraqi parliament's vote on expelling US troops: report

The Trump administration tried to stop an Iraqi vote to expel the U.S. military from the country after an American airstrike killed top Iranian military commander Gen. Qassem Soleimani, Axios reported Sunday. 

Two U.S. officials and an Iraqi government official familiar with the situation told Axios that the Trump administration tried to persuade top Iraqi officials to kill the parliamentary effort.

Iraq's parliament reportedly voted Sunday to approve of the expulsion of the U.S. military following last week’s attack that killed Soleimani. 

A U.S. official familiar with the effort told Axios that expelling the U.S. military from Iraq "would be inconvenient for us, but it would be catastrophic for Iraq."

"It's our concern that Iraq would take a short-term decision that would have catastrophic long-term implications for the country and its security," the official told Axios.

"But it's also what would happen to them financially if they allowed Iran to take advantage of their economy to such an extent that they would fall under the sanctions that are on Iran," the official added. "We don't want to see that. We're trying very hard to work to have that not happen."

A senior Iraqi official told Axios that many Kurdish and Sunni members of parliament, who tend to be more supportive of the U.S. presence in Iraq, did not attend the vote to expel the U.S. presence. 

"This is a temporary victory for the parties which are pro-Iranian," the official told Axios. "But it's also a clear message from the Sunnis and from the Kurds [who didn't vote] and from some Iraqi Shia for the Americans to tell them we want you to stay in Iraq."

A spokesperson for the White House was not immediately available for comment.

https://thehill.com/policy/international/middle-east-north-africa/476864-trump-administration-tried-to-stop-iraqi

No link for the following comments but audio reports are that Trump has said if US troops leave Iraq, that Iraq must pay the United States (no specific $ amount mentioned). Has also threatened Iraq with sanctions. It's is not clear for what exactly. Trump says US troops will not leave Iraq without payment.

So.  Give us money or we won't leave?

There's a word for that

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kurtis said:

Screw Iran. That country is so backwards. Women have no power and if you speak out againts the regime you tend to go missing or end up in jail. A lot of Iranian's that I know in Canada seem to be happy with the strike on this guy.. 

No question the current government of Iran are bad actors. 

But this bombing will just make the hard liners more popular... its a natural reaction to support your own country when someone attacks... and what's worse it will give the hardliners an excuse to crack down more on the moderate and progressive Iranian reformers.

This is now a distraction from the movement in Iran to reform and replace the hard liners... and will set back the reforms.

And as mentioned, the same applies in Iraq... previously protests had been against corruption in the government... now that is overshadowed by the fact the US is dropping bombs next to the country's own International Airport... what would you think if the US dropped bombs on someone in the approach lanes to VGH?

And by the way, women in Iran have more rights than those in Saudi Arabia... which Drumpf supports religiously.

It is also one of the most advanced countries in that region when it comes to medical care and social support systems.

Maybe you think it is ok to bomb it, but personally I disagree.

Meanwhile Drumpf is talking about bombing its cultural sites and museums... with some of the oldest relics of human development anywhere.

Maybe his strikes will kill this economist:

tumblr_p5hk28hrPo1tjdw1qo1_1280.jpg

Or this violin student:

tumblr_pbyt9mHTWh1tjdw1qo1_1280.jpg

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

On the news, they said that Trump will impose economic sanctions on Iraq if US is forced to pull out their troop from Iraq.

I guess Trump wants to flex his muscles on all of the Middle East. 

so threaten sanctions on countries if the States don't get their way?

Donald Trump is the Anti Christ.

31 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

There's a word for that

Read it again.

The US is threatening economic sanctions which could decimate the already fragile Iraqi economy.  The US isn't asking for money.  Iraq is poor enough as it is and already counts on aid as it is to supplement it's oil income. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

No question the current government of Iran are bad actors. 

But this bombing will just make the hard liners more popular... its a natural reaction to support your own country when someone attacks... and what's worse it will give the hardliners an excuse to crack down more on the moderate and progressive Iranian reformers.

This is now a distraction from the movement in Iran to reform and replace the hard liners... and will set back the reforms.

And as mentioned, the same applies in Iraq... previously protests had been against corruption in the government... now that is overshadowed by the fact the US is dropping bombs next to the country's own International Airport... what would you think if the US dropped bombs on someone in the approach lanes to VGH?

And by the way, women in Iran have more rights than those in Saudi Arabia... which Drumpf supports religiously.

It is also one of the most advanced countries in that region when it comes to medical care and social support systems.

Maybe you think it is ok to bomb it, but personally I disagree.

Meanwhile Drumpf is talking about bombing its cultural sites and museums... with some of the oldest relics of human development anywhere.

Maybe his strikes will kill this economist:

tumblr_p5hk28hrPo1tjdw1qo1_1280.jpg

Or this violin student:

tumblr_pbyt9mHTWh1tjdw1qo1_1280.jpg

Are these two women still alive?  Wouldn’t the sharia law crazies want to kill these women for taking their veils off?  

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are these two women still alive?  Wouldn’t the sharia law crazies want to kill these women for taking their veils off?  

Those women are assumed alive since their photos were taken not too long ago.

In Iran they don't have to wear the full veils and can reveal their hair.... unlike Saudi Arabia.

Also this lady from Tehran:

tumblr_nk9qxmbYTU1tjdw1qo1_1280.jpg

All come from the "The Atlas of Beauty" which is a series of photographs of women from around the world take by a Romanian woman photographer:

https://theatlasofbeauty.com/

I like to look at the photos when I'm feeling like I'm losing my faith in humanity. 

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Burr 2

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

From Wiki

chador or the hijab is mandatory when in public, and all hair and skin except the face and hand must be covered. In Iran, women not only drive but can hold public office, and attend university.

I have heard Tehran is pretty cool and has a good university, I wish I could visit.

I'd like to see all the old artifacts too, some pretty ancient grounds over there. 

Don't think I will ever be able to. 

Posted (edited)

Best way to vote out war mongers is to reinstate draft, that way not only poor and minorities will get to serve.

Also since we are equal, start drafting woman as well.

Once the bodies of those that have not volunteered start arriving, I guarantee you would see political changes.

It won’t happen but until we all have skin in the game things will stay the same.

First to go should be gun nuts, conspiracy theorists, nra members and hard core republicans.

Let’s giddy up mother&^@#ers!

Edited by CBH1926
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

There's a word for that

It's hard to decipher exactly what Trump means. His comments are all over the place and at this time he just comes across like a drunk swinging wildly. His threats to use disproportionate force are against international law, his threats to go after cultural sites are against international law. Right now he's just making it up as he goes along. He can make all the threats he wants. If he actually follows through on these things then there are consequences.

My interpretation of his comments was "if we're leaving you're reimbursing us for all the money we wasted in your country". Which I am assuming would be about $1.3 Trillion USD. So basically. "you're going to pay us for the privilege of us invading and occupying you for 18 years." Of course it's loony tunes. Putting sanctions on them for ejecting American troops would never fly in the international community. 

A few more things. As for the Iraqis booting US troops............

Iraq PM wants US troops out, but is unable to sign bill into law

Mon 6 Jan 2020 02:40:06 GMT

I posted on this earlier, just recapping it now (info via Washington Post)

• Iraq's caretaker prime minister Abdul Mahdi (who resigned in November and has been serving in a caretaker role since) 
  • urged parliament to take "urgent measures" to force the withdrawal of foreign forces
  • Parliament then passed a nonbinding resolution calling on the government to end the foreign troop presence in Iraq
  • Mahdi,as caretaker PM, is not legally authorized to sign the bill into law

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/icymi-iraq-pm-wants-us-troops-out-but-is-unable-to-sign-bill-into-law-20200106

So who knows if they can even legally boot them from their own country.

And then there is this .....

US House speaker says will introduce resolution to limit Trump's military actions regarding Iran

Mon 6 Jan 2020 05:12:02 GMT

US House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, says the House will introduce and vote on a 'War Power Resolution' this week.

She notes that the resolution "reasserts Congress's long-established oversight responsibilities by mandating that if no further Congressional action is taken, the Administration's military hostilities with regard to Iran cease within 30 days".

Just take note that Congress returns from its holiday recess today and there is also still the impeachment trial to consider - if the House ever does send the articles of impeachment to the Senate that is.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

And failed US foreign policy decisions can bare some, if not most of the blame. 

I don't disagree. 

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Disagree....it's more like since 2016, when a certain orange clown decided that a nuclear deal between the US and Iran was the "worst deal ever negotiated".

If there was an adult in the Oval Office, war with Iran would not be "inevitable" at all....

Wrong. I just don't think you followed this stuff till 2016.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So.  What does Saudi Arabia and America have coming then

Well if any country should be bombed it's Saudia Arabia and the US well it has murdered millions of innocent people in needless wars so they pretty much deserve the same. That being said with the deep cuts to our armed forces started by PET hoping for a US military demise would spell big trouble for Canada.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

It's hard to decipher exactly what Trump means. His comments are all over the place and at this time he just comes across like a drunk swinging wildly. His threats to use disproportionate force are against international law, his threats to go after cultural sites are against international law. Right now he's just making it up as he goes along. He can make all the threats he wants. If he actually follows through on these things then there are consequences.

My interpretation of his comments was "if we're leaving you're reimbursing us for all the money we wasted in your country". Which I am assuming would be about $1.3 Trillion USD. So basically. "you're going to pay us for the privilege of us invading and occupying you for 18 years." Of course it's loony tunes. Putting sanctions on them for ejecting American troops would never fly in the international community. 

A few more things. As for the Iraqis booting US troops............

Iraq PM wants US troops out, but is unable to sign bill into law

Mon 6 Jan 2020 02:40:06 GMT

I posted on this earlier, just recapping it now (info via Washington Post)

• Iraq's caretaker prime minister Abdul Mahdi (who resigned in November and has been serving in a caretaker role since) 
  • urged parliament to take "urgent measures" to force the withdrawal of foreign forces
  • Parliament then passed a nonbinding resolution calling on the government to end the foreign troop presence in Iraq
  • Mahdi,as caretaker PM, is not legally authorized to sign the bill into law

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/icymi-iraq-pm-wants-us-troops-out-but-is-unable-to-sign-bill-into-law-20200106

So who knows if they can even legally boot them from their own country.

And then there is this .....

US House speaker says will introduce resolution to limit Trump's military actions regarding Iran

Mon 6 Jan 2020 05:12:02 GMT

US House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, says the House will introduce and vote on a 'War Power Resolution' this week.

She notes that the resolution "reasserts Congress's long-established oversight responsibilities by mandating that if no further Congressional action is taken, the Administration's military hostilities with regard to Iran cease within 30 days".

Just take note that Congress returns from its holiday recess today and there is also still the impeachment trial to consider - if the House ever does send the articles of impeachment to the Senate that is.

Good luck Pelosi...Bush and Obama pretty much changed the US rules on going to war.

@SabreFan1 has spoken on this a few times.

10 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well if any country should be bombed it's Saudia Arabia and the US well it has murdered millions of innocent people in needless wars so they pretty much deserve the same. That being said with the deep cuts to our armed forces started by PET hoping for a US military demise would spell big trouble for Canada.

Clap, clap.

I agree. Not that I want any country bombed...but if any 'should be' I understand your picks. I also agree with you assessment of the military pickle Canada is in. 

• Hydration 3

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Good luck Pelosi...Bush and Obama pretty much changed the US rules on going to war.

@SabreFan1 has spoken on this a few times.

Congress has been slowly bleeding away it's powers to the executive branch for a very long time.

If Obama had done the same thing that Trump just did, you would barely hear a peep out of the Democrats.  Bill Clinton tossed cruise missiles into the Middle East and blew up buildings and killed high and low ranking military personnel and civilians and Obama ordered far more drone strikes than Bush.

I want Trump voted out of office, but the only thing unusual that he did by killing the Iranian general was not the way it was done, but the location.

It was only less than a decade ago that NATO dropped bombs into Libya and aided rebels who chased down Gaddafi and sodomized him with what was likely a knife before finally killing him.  Guess who was president then.  It may have been under the auspices of NATO, but NATO doesn't break wind without heavy US participation and presidential permission.

• Hydration 3

16 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Congress has been slowly bleeding away it's powers to the executive branch for a very long time.

If Obama had done the same thing that Trump just did, you would barely hear a peep out of the Democrats.  Bill Clinton tossed cruise missiles into the Middle East and blew up buildings and killed high and low ranking military personnel and civilians and Obama ordered far more drone strikes than Bush.

I want Trump voted out of office, but the only thing unusual that he did by killing the Iranian general was not the way it was done, but the location.

It was only less than a decade ago that NATO dropped bombs into Libya and aided rebels who chased down Gaddafi and sodomized him with what was likely a knife before finally killing him.  Guess who was president then.  It may have been under the auspices of NATO, but NATO doesn't break wind without heavy US participation and presidential permission.

I remember that. The top general of that mission was a Canadian general. Like anyone believed the US wasn't calling the shots.

7 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

What is going on both in Iraq and the USA after killing this terrorist is political posturing. The Americans leave Iraq and they descend into another civil war. The Dems are desperate for any angle that puts them back into the White House. They are losing on most fronts right now and Trump really hasn't started his campaign. When they lose control of the narrative their radical views surface. 

• Upvote 2
  • Burr 1