The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

U.S. air strike kills top Iranian military general and Iraqi commander at Baghdad’s international airport

nuckin_futz

21 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I wonder if this administration is going to try and stick with the narrative that the Soleimani assassination made the world a "safer place" for Americans?

and the part where they said they weren't starting a war

• Upvote 1

They literally assassinated a top level military officer in a foreign nation after inviting said person to dispute resolution talks between Iraq Iran and Saudi Arabia.

How the hell could they not expect retaliation?

Iran is absolutely stupid to have committed to this, but reports are that Iraqi officials in fact were asked and gave the permission for this to happen on their soil.

My money is in Israeli and American fighters to joint strike Iranian border defenses within the next 12 hours.

But who won't step in?  The house of Saud

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, brownky said:

Welp, the plan to break NATO up is going to work out nicely. GG Russia/China.

Step 1) Do something reprehensible that causes them to attack you

Step 2) Get attacked

Step 3) Invoke Article 5 of NATO

Step 4) Wait and see who says "No, I don't think so" and the alliance crumbles.

or

Step 4B) See which nations get bogged in another super expensive in people and money quagmire for the better part of 20 years.

Trump wanted to leave NATO/Let NATO die (for whatever reasons... that various background players might have had in mind) and found a way to do it.

We'll see how close this gets. I hope I'm simply wearing a very tin foil hat.

Someone would have to actually attack US territory in order to invoke the mutual defence clause.  Shooting rockets into a base or two doesn't even come close to qualifying.

8 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Pentagon confirms more than a dozen ballistic missiles were launched from Iran at US bases

Wed 8 Jan 2020 00:13:51 GMT

Pentagon confirms the attack

Pentagon confirms the attack

It's no longer in doubt, the US has confirmed that multiple bases were hit and that these are ballistic missiles (not local rockets) and that they were fired from Iran.

There is also a fresh report that another wave of rockets have been fired and that they're Fateh 110 missiles.

edit -  If those are the missiles, the payload is 500kg.

19 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'd not be believing the Americans on this one. I'll wait for a second and third source, especially  the part about "from inside Iran"

Well, there goes my skepticism.  :(

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

They literally assassinated a top level military officer in a foreign nation after inviting said person to dispute resolution talks between Iraq Iran and Saudi Arabia.

How the hell could they not expect retaliation?

Iran is absolutely stupid to have committed to this, but reports are that Iraqi officials in fact were asked and gave the permission for this to happen on their soil.

My money is in Israeli and American fighters to joint strike Iranian border defenses within the next 12 hours.

But who won't step in?  The house of Saud

No way Israel is physically getting involved.

I'm annoyed because Trump's ginormous tax cuts coupled with an Iranian war will make the deficit go up even quicker.

Maybe the US will just rain down 30 or 40 cruise missiles on Tehran and wherever the Ayatollah is and call it a day.  That cost would be negligible.

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

No way Israel is physically getting involved.

They've been salivating for this for years.

Remember Bibi's acme bomb display to the UN?  They have attacked Iranian sites 4 times over the last few years inside Iranian airspace.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, if their sugar daddy threatens to pull out support, they might.

That's the whole thing. They don't have to do anything. Sugar Daddy will do it for them.

They don't need every Arab nation in the region taking shots at them. Though they probably can. I doubt they want to fight everyone.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, if their sugar daddy threatens to pull out support, they might.

The US won't want Israel to join in.  Logistically it would slow the counter-attacks down, and it would cause serious regional unrest.

Israel will basically just be providing intelligence on targets and locations of Iranian leaders.

Just now, Warhippy said:

They've been salivating for this for years.

Remember Bibi's acme bomb display to the UN?  They have attacked Iranian sites 4 times over the last few years inside Iranian airspace.

Yes, they'll take shots from afar at any nuclear facilities. But as far as raining bombs on Tehran. They'll take a pass and watch the US do it.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

The US won't want Israel to join in.  Logistically it would slow the counter-attacks down, and it would cause serious regional unrest.

Israel will basically just be providing intelligence on targets and locations of Iranian leaders.

The US worried about regional unrest...……giphy.gif

There are reports of US casualties after the Iranian attacks

Wed 8 Jan 2020 00:36:40 GMT

Awaiting details 

Iraqi troops also wounded 

Meanwhile, heading to the White House:
  • U.S. Defense Secretary Esper and U.S. Secretary of State Pompeo have arrived at the White House
  • Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Mark Milley, also 

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/there-are-reports-of-us-casualties-after-the-iranian-attacks-20200108

This is not confirmed elsewhere yet. I do see other reports of Iraqi injuries.

Sec Pompeo arrives at White House

The latest reports say top US security officials have arrived at the White House.

In a statement on state TV, Iran's Revolutionary Guards confirm firing rockets at the US air base in Iraq in revenge for the Soleimani killing. The statement also said they consider Israel as a US ally in the killing.
Edited by nuckin_futz

Just now, nuckin_futz said:
Meanwhile, heading to the White House:
  • U.S. Defense Secretary Esper and U.S. Secretary of State Pompeo have arrived at the White House
  • Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Mark Milley, also 

A war council.  They're likely heading into the situation room to organize the counter-attack.  Likely drones and Naval cruise missiles.

• Upvote 1