The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

U.S. air strike kills top Iranian military general and Iraqi commander at Baghdad’s international airport

nuckin_futz

29 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Lol you realize how short distance that is? If the US starts launching missiles in Iran, Tehran will have no response. 

Aren't Canadian forces that were stationed in Iraq moved to Kuwait? Last report I heard were all Canadian troops were safe.

Assassinated eh? A ruthless scumbag who ordered terrorist attacks  and ordered the killing of his own people..

Wow!!

This would be akin to Pompeo being assasinated, in fact they say he was the 2nd most important person in Iran after Khameni. What do you think US reaction will be if Pompeo got assasinated? The fact that the meeting of Soleimani with Iraqi PM was a setup, makes the optics looks much worse. Then you have big mouth Trump running his mouth about destroying 52 Iranian cultural sites which is considered a war crime. You people think Iran will just sit there and take it from the US? Dont be stupid, it wont be like the Iraq war, it will be 100X worst but both sides dont want that. This is just a tit for tat reaction but America knows the high cost of war, especially when they have many US soldiers on the ground like a sitting duck next to Iran.

22 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Except, of course, for the fact that Trump tore up the deal that would have kept these "religious lunatics" from getting a nuke.

Bone Spurs hasn't made that less likely, he's made it more likely.

Maybe Iran getting a nuke will finally make US back off just like how its working for Pakistan eventhough they export lots of terrorists. One way to stop wars is if everyone has nuclear weapon. You dont see US playing tough with North Korea because of that nuclear deterrence. I guess its one way to achieving peace.

19 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:
The headlines keep coming. It does not seem that "all is well". Seems to be quite a difference in what the USA claims and what Iran claims.

Iran is already changing it's version.  Initially they said they shot "tens" of missiles (plural), now it's 15.

Also, they have no way of knowing exact casualty numbers in a base in Western Iraq.  They're just trying to puff out their chests to their population.

27 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

What do you mean "know to leave"?  There's video on Twitter showing announcements over the loudspeakers telling people to take cover before the missiles hit.  Everyone, including the Canadians in the base likely ran for cover into the nearest bunker. 

Well I'm pretty sure Canadians left before that considering news of them moving to Kuwait was a surprise to everyone and the media scrambled to find out why they moved to Kuwait. But who knows maybe you are right.

24 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

For sure the Navy is positioning boats with cruise missiles onboard as we speak.  Right now I'd imagine Trump and his people in the Situation Room are just deciding what to hit.

I imagine top generals want to strike Iran.

23 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm going to go against the trend and predict that the Americans don't respond with military strikes.....unless the Iranians continue to escalate.

That would be a major sign of weakness. 

2 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Maybe Iran getting a nuke will finally make US back off just like how its working for Pakistan eventhough they export lots of terrorists. One way to stop wars is if everyone has nuclear weapon. You dont see US playing tough with North Korea because of that nuclear deterrence. I guess its one way to achieving peace.

The US is semi-allied with Pakistan.  That's why the US handles them with kid gloves.

As for North Korea, they are safe because of China, not because they have low yield nukes.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Iran is already changing it's version.  Initially they said they shot "tens" of missiles (plural), now it's 15.

Also, they have no way of knowing exact casualty numbers in a base in Western Iraq.  They're just trying to puff out their chests to their population.

Most likely. At the same time "all is well" seems a little hopeful.

Both sides playing to the home crowd.

The US is semi-allied with Pakistan.  That's why the US handles them with kid gloves.

As for North Korea, they are safe because of China, not because they have low yield nukes.

The US thinks they're semi-allied with Pakistan.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

I imagine top generals want to strike Iran.

Sure they do.  So does Trump.  He said as recently as yesterday that he would attack Iran back if they retaliated.  Right now they're deciding on targets.  Same as every other president before him.  Decide how hard and what you're going to hit and send in the weapons.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

The US doesn't need help in this.  In the past "help" has always been token forces joining in just so the US can say to the world that it has a coalition.  Trump won't give a rat's behind about a coalition when it comes to Iran.

You can cheerlead for Iran all that you want.  The simple truth of the matter is that the only way that they can possibly hope to win is politically and Trump isn't going to care what the rest of the world thinks of him politically.  Militarily Iran is still stuck with old and outdated equipment. 

You forget one thing, which is Trump sacrificing American lives for his own political gains and maybe another term. Trump doesnt even care much for American lives, he seems like a ego maniac but am surprised Americans keep supporting this clown. Iran has nothing to lose because they are heavily sanctioned and people are dying because of poverty over there. Iran is like a hungry and angry dog that is being cornered so US should really thread lightly or it could get real ugly. US might have an advance military but you still need foots on the ground and US would be sacrificing more American lives again for a needless war started by none other than Trump who cancelled the nuclear deal in 2015 and heavily sanctioned iran. It was working to a degree until the clown killed soleimani.Now you have 100 million iranian people united with the mullahs and US just screwed up a possible revolution that might have happened. Now all the people in iran are angry at US not the mullahs. 

• Haha 1

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

Most likely. At the same time "all is well" seems a little hopeful.

Both sides playing to the home crowd.

Trump has always been a practitioner of hyperbole.  Eventually they'll release the numbers of casualties.  It's not something that can be hidden for long.

The US thinks they're semi-allied with Pakistan.

We buy influence there.  As long as we continue to give them money and weapons we'll be semi-allied with the people in power.  The people of Pakistan are definitely not fans of the US.

2 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

You forget one thing, which is Trump sacrificing American lives for his own political gains and maybe another term.

That's not new.  Presidents have always done that.  I still think to this day that Bill Clinton would lob cruise missiles at other countries to distract people from his domestic issues.  It was a running joke while he was president..

Trump doesnt even care much for American lives, he seems like a ego maniac but am surprised Americans keep supporting this clown.

Trump's tribe (Republicans) supports him.  The majority of the country doesn't.

Iran has nothing to lose because they are heavily sanctioned and people are dying because of poverty over there. Iran is like a hungry and angry dog that is being cornered so US should really thread lightly or it could get real ugly. US might have an advance military but you still need foots on the ground and US would be sacrificing more American lives again for a needless war started by none other than Trump who cancelled the nuclear deal in 2015 and heavily sanctioned iran. It was working to a degree until the clown killed soleimani.Now you have 100 million iranian people united with the mullahs and US just screwed up a possible revolution that might have happened. Now all the people in iran are angry at US not the mullahs. 

I doubt Trump will actually go so far as to put troops on the ground inside Iran.  He'll most likely just strategically bomb Iran with cruise missiles, drones, and aircraft and go after it's leaders.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Sure they do.  So does Trump.  He said as recently as yesterday that he would attack Iran back if they retaliated.  Right now they're deciding on targets.  Same as every other president before him.  Deciede how hard and what you're going to hit and send in the weapons.

Then things will escalate even more. Trump said all is well, we will see what happens but Iran has lots of easy targets to hit being next to Iraq so US needs to be carefull what it does next as it can turn ugly real quick. The missiles iran launches intentionally hit US bases that werent occupied by many if any US soldiers just to show Iran doesnt back down but I imagine they couldve hit US bases that had lots of US soldiers but avoided that. So far its really just a tit for tat game. We have to see how Trump reacts to this.

7 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

We buy influence there.  As long as we continue to give them money and weapons we'll be semi-allied with the people in power.  The people of Pakistan are definitely not fans of the US.

What is the US getting for it's money? How allied can they claim to be when OBL was living comfortably in a villa 800 yards from ISI headquarters?

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

Then things will escalate even more. Trump said all is well, we will see what happens but Iran has lots of easy targets to hit being next to Iraq so US needs to be carefull what it does next as it can turn ugly real quick. The missiles iran launches intentionally hit US bases that werent occupied by many if any US soldiers just to show Iran doesnt back down but I imagine they couldve hit US bases that had lots of US soldiers but avoided that. So far its really just a tit for tat game. We have to see how Trump reacts to this.

The first thing the military will do is go after and cripple Iran's offensive capabilities including their mobile and stationary missile sites.  Once you do that, you then clear the way for your warplanes to go in relatively unmolested by taking out any anti-aircraft weaponry.

10 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

That's not new.  Presidents have always done that.  I still think to this day that Bill Clinton would lob cruise missiles at other countries to distract people from his domestic issues.  It was a running joke while he was president..

Trump's tribe (Republicans) supports him.  The majority of the country doesn't.

I doubt Trump will actually go so far as to put troops on the ground inside Iran.  He'll most likely just strategically bomb Iran with cruise missiles, drones, and aircraft and go after it's leaders.

You can't just bomb iran, a country that has many militias spread out all over middle east.They will bomb Saudi arabia, close off the persian gulf and bomb israel while also bombing US bases in Iraq and surrounding countries. It would be a huge mistake for US to bomb iran when they have US bases and assets laying all over the middle east and they dont know which to protect. Iran does have sheer numbers of soldiers and volunteer soldiers or basiji that it can deploy at any time. I think Americans are severely underestimating Iran and they think it might be another Iraq which had no support and even less weapons than Iran. I really hope a war doesnt happen because it will be a global catastrophy. Will also spike more terrorist attacks worldwide.

Edited by DefCon1

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

What is the US getting for it's money? How allied can they claim to be when OBL was living comfortably in a villa 800 yards from ISI headquarters?

It keeps them in check especially with showing restraint towards our allies in India. 

As for the OBL situation, I've always given Obama credit for the way he handled that.  Things could have gotten real ugly real quick.  India could have taken advantage and flooded into Pakistan had Obama decided to retaliate and those 2 countries would have lobbed nukes back and forth at each other.

53 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm going to go against the trend and predict that the Americans don't respond with military strikes.....unless the Iranians continue to escalate.

Both sides probably will calm down. Am more scared of what Trump does next rather than Iran to escalate this situation.

3 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

You can't just bomb iran, a country that has many militias spread out all over middle east.They will bomb Saudi arabia, close off the persian gulf and bomb israel while also bombing US bases in Iraq and surrounding countries. It would be a huge mistake for US to bomb iran when they have US bases and assets laying all over the middle east and they dont know which to protect. Iran does have sheer numbers of soldiers and volunteer soldiers or basiji that it can deploy at any time. I think Americans are severely underestimating Iran and they think it might be another Iraq which had no support and even less weapons than Iran. I really hope a war doesnt happen because it will be a global catastrophy. Will also spike more terrorist attacks worldwide.

You think Iran is much more powerful than it is. 

It barely stalemated Iraq when those two countries warred each other for years.  The US on 2 separate occasions cut through Iraq like a hot knife through butter.

It keeps them in check especially with showing restraint towards our allies in India. 

As for the OBL situation, I've always given Obama credit for the way he handled that.  Things could have gotten real ugly real quick.  India could have taken advantage and flooded into Pakistan had Obama decided to retaliate and those 2 countries would have lobbed nukes back and forth at each other.

I guess our ideas of "in check" differ. The seemingly never ending cross border attacks. The Mumbai attacks. The border disputes and corresponding violence in Jammu-Kashmir.

India has no desire to flood into Pakistan at any time and fight a full scale war with nukes.