The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

U.S. air strike kills top Iranian military general and Iraqi commander at Baghdad’s international airport

nuckin_futz

16 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Trump was ham-handed in how he handled killing the Iranian general.  As for abusing his office, Congressional Democrats don't have a leg to stand on with that charge.  The legislative branch ceded it's war powers to the executive branch a long time ago.

We weren't talking about Soleimani. That was about Impeachment.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Thanks 1

Those Irani missile strikes were shot into an unpopulated area by the US base...No casualties, and no equipment damaged...Precisely what I thought..Just an exercise by the Irani government to the people..a face saving measure.

The US has demonstrated to Iran,that it has no problems taking out top members of the Iran government or military...They have that capability....Thats one hell of a deterrent.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Have the suspicions been confirmed as of yet; that Iran paid for these missiles with the hundreds upon hundreds of billions of dollars that Obama sent them in cash in the dead of night?

Well it wasn't.  Most of the "hundreds" (a very high estimate btw) was the cumulative result of removing sanctions.  The plane full of cash was much, much less.  It was an unfilled purchase of military equipment that the Shah made prior to the revolution.  It was Iran's money with interest.  I repeat.  It was Iran's money being returned to them.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Three rockets fired at the US Embassy in Baghdad.

Wed 8 Jan 2020 21:23:57 GMT

Earlier the news broke of Several rockets reported to have hit inside Baghdad Green Zone

Updateing now, 
  • 3 rockets in total
  • appears an Iran-backed militia is responsible
  • The US Embassy was the target
  • Katyusha rockets

8 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Three rockets fired at the US Embassy in Baghdad.

image.png.e2b14f5f1ebb607f1bce79381ebd9de7.png

6 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:
Wed 8 Jan 2020 21:23:57 GMT

Earlier the news broke of Several rockets reported to have hit inside Baghdad Green Zone

Updateing now, 
  • 3 rockets in total
  • appears an Iran-backed militia is responsible
  • The US Embassy was the target
  • Katyusha rockets

It seemed rather premature to think that things would be 'one and done'.

Edited by Cerridwen
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Ya no, you can stop with your childish BS.

By the EXACT terms of the word what they did was an act of assassination.  This does not mean I support anyone or condone anything.  it is a word used correctly in the right context.  Stop trying to make a mountain out of your turd hill.

It's laughable that you stick so directly to the definition of the word terrorism based on skin colour but refuse to accept an act of assassination for what it is based on the definition of the word.  But then you do support a party that seems to hate anyone less than pale or christian.  (see I can also be that guy)

You're that guy and everyone knows it.

2 hours ago, haton said:

Oh geez. A simple thanks wasn't enough?  I'd give you more praise but really, it was just a typo style error. I do know the difference between prey and pray, so I thought just simple thanks was in order. 

It seems you didn't have the same appreciation for the help I gave you though. You upvoted a cartoon with a wishbone in it that inferred that Trump was screwed over by politics in his impeachment rather than it being the result of the truth winning out. In your defense, the guy who posted it probably didn't know he was posting pro Trump propaganda either.

I read that cartoon as politics were winning out over the truth in the impeachment process.  The impeachment process is getting screwed by the politics of both parties and the truth (the part that should win out) is getting left behind.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Have the suspicions been confirmed as of yet; that Iran paid for these missiles with the hundreds upon hundreds of billions of dollars that Obama sent them in cash in the dead of night?

The billions were Iranian money that was given back to them as part of the nuclear deal. Trump just keeps bringing up Obama because he has a grudge with him ever since he got roasted by Obama. He basically reversed everything that was done by Obama and he still brings his name up, its quite comical actually.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

The billions were Iranian money that was given back to them as part of the nuclear deal. Trump just keeps bringing up Obama because he has a grudge with him ever since he got roasted by Obama. He basically reversed everything that was done by Obama and he still brings his name up, its quite comical actually.

Just a little tip, D....Ronaldo mostly posts sarcasm, when it comes to the Trump administration. He knows what a bunch of assclowns they are....

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Cerridwen said:

image.png.e2b14f5f1ebb607f1bce79381ebd9de7.png

It seemed rather premature to think that things would be 'one and done'.

well its naive to think so but I doubt those missiles were fired from Iran. It was probably inside Iraq and probably done by Iran backed militias or other groups that oppose US forces inside Iraq. I think whatever happens next would mostly be proxy wars and cyber warfare.

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

You're that guy and everyone knows it.

No.  You think you know it.  But you're literally the least acceptable person to pretend to be the moral compass on anything regarding geo-political events.  Honestly man, at this table; you should excuse yourself and go draw something instead 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Trump was ham-handed in how he handled killing the Iranian general.  As for abusing his office, Congressional Democrats don't have a leg to stand on with that charge.  The legislative branch ceded it's war powers to the executive branch a long time ago.

thats a nice way of saying assassination. Even republican senators are openly upset with the lack of explanation or evidence to back it up. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

thats a nice way of saying assassination. Even republican senators are openly upset with the lack of explanation or evidence to back it up. 

I think you're confused on the meaning of ham-handed.  It doesn't refer to the act of killing the general.  It refers to the way he went about it.

Ham.PNG.1f00a1724c2ec3e581ff31ed0bd51d26.PNG

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I think you're confused on the meaning of ham-handed.  It doesn't refer to the act of killing the general.  It refers to the way he went about it.

Ham.PNG.1f00a1724c2ec3e581ff31ed0bd51d26.PNG

illegally you mean? yeah I suppose thats ham handed. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

illegally you mean? yeah I suppose thats ham handed. 

Not illegally so much as exactly what the definition says.  Clumsy, bungling.  Instead of covertly killing him while he was in Iraq, he made a show of it for no good reason. 

Any US or allied special ops team could have made that guy history and left the rest of the world wondering who killed him.  Instead Trump dropped a hellfire drone missile on his head at an airport leaving absolutely no doubt who did it.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

Not illegally so much as exactly what the definition says.  Clumsy, bungling.  Instead of covertly killing him while he was in Iraq, he made a show of it for no good reason. 

Any US or allied special ops team could have made that guy history and left the rest of the world wondering who killed him.  Instead Trump dropped a hellfire drone missile on his head at an airport leaving absolutely no doubt who did it.

I agree with that, but its also pretty disgusting that we have a US president openly assassinating people. I realize there isn't much the world can do about it but its bull$&!#. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I agree with that, but its also pretty disgusting that we have a US president openly assassinating people. I realize there isn't much the world can do about it but its bull$&!#. 

Name a modern US president that hasn't directly or indirectly assassinated a foreign figure.  You'll have a tougher time than you think you will.

It's just much easier to do these days with drones and real-time spy satellites.

• Upvote 1