The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

U.S. air strike kills top Iranian military general and Iraqi commander at Baghdad’s international airport

nuckin_futz

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Take the UK for example, I know they're referred to as a legit power but realistically they aren't a top 10 if not top 15 military. They do not have the capability to wage war against nearly anyone and are very dependent on the US. Britain asked Canada to hunt Russian submarines a while back as they were unable to guard their own waters. The UK is in a continent that always has wars. France is the only legitimate power in western Europe and that's only in troop size as they to do not have the capability to wage an actual war. We can argue it until we are blue in the face but Europe handed over their security to the US after ww2 and Canada took advantage of being America's neighbour. It shouldn't be argued, I'm embarrassed by it.

U.S.A, Israel, Russia, France and Turkey are only serious global military powers imo.

7 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Of course, McD would love to put whopper on its menu in return for all BK’s to close down.

I think the US wants a strong powerful Canadian military but not a rival. As you know I support massively reinventing in our armed forces but that being said I don't want any fighting in the ME I want them in the arctic and keeping China in check. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

U.S.A, Israel, Russia, France and Turkey are only serious global military powers imo.

As far as global, realistically imo it's US, Russia and China. Likely only the Us and Russia with the capability to wage an actual full scale war anywhere in the world.

@Jimmy McGill

Those stupid, ignorant bloody Yankees!!

From the new York times.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of Canada, citing a preliminary review of the evidence, called for a full investigation “to be convinced beyond all doubt.” The jetliner was carrying 57 Canadians among its 176 passengers and crew.

“We recognize that this may have been done accidentally,” Mr. Trudeau said at a news conference in Ottawa. “The evidence suggests very clearly a possible and probable cause for the crash.”

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

As far as global, realistically imo it's US, Russia and China. Likely only the Us and Russia with the capability to wage an actual full scale war anywhere in the world.

Agree on that for sure.

Turkey has second strongest military in Europe and they have been battle tested.

Israel has never lost a war despite being surrounded with enemies.

I do respect what French have been doing militarily lately.

China has lack of experience and all there forces being concentrated in China makes them vulnerable to decapitation strike.

But they are getting there for sure in this century.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Agree on that for sure.

Turkey has second strongest military in Europe and they have been battle tested.

Israel has never lost a war despite being surrounded with enemies.

I do respect what French have been doing militarily lately.

China has lack of experience and all there forces being concentrated in China makes them vulnerable to decapitation strike.

But they are getting there for sure in this century.

Good points. Tbh I never think of Turkey as Europe..really must be embarrassing to Berlin, Paris and London that Turkey is the most powerful over there. The jews have done a lot of bad stuff themselves but have had smart military planners. I was surprised a number of years back when they struggled with Hezbollah I think? In Lebanon, remember?

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Good points. Tbh I never think of Turkey as Europe..really must be embarrassing to Berlin, Paris and London that Turkey is the most powerful over there. The jews have done a lot of bad stuff themselves but have had smart military planners. I was surprised a number of years back when they struggled with Hezbollah I think? In Lebanon, remember?

France is ahead of Turkey but Berlin is nowhere near either one of those two.

Israelis do have great military and even their weapons are pretty good(made in Israel).

50 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

38 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Agree on that for sure.

Russia only has one carrier, so unless we are limiting things to nukes, I would think their options are limited in a few continents

9 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Russia only has one carrier, so unless we are limiting things to nukes, I would think their options are limited in a few continents

Aircraft carriers are so overrated now a days. Fighter jets got long range that allow them to be positioned way before an aircraft carrier and don't face the risk of being sunk.

1 hour ago, kurtis said:

Time to bomb Iran air defence back to the stone age.. 

No need to, they are already doing a pretty good job themselves, killing their own citizens and shooting missiles at their own citizens. The US didnt even need to lift a finger to see more than 200 Iranians killed either because of the funeral or shooting missiles at a commercial plane carrying mostly Iranians and Iranian Canadians. O bet if a war was to start they would first kill off a million of their own citizens due to incompetence. Hopefully they dont acquire a nuclear weapon otherwise they might accidentaly bomb their own country.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Unsure of the honest validity of The Daily Mail

But it appears Iranian officials may have admitted to the shooting finally

https://trib.al/uWum3pj

I hope so.  There's even video of a missile launching from the ground and exploding on or next to the passenger plane. 

I even said immediately after it was posted on CDC that a plane had crashed that some hair-trigger fingered Iranian soldier likely thought it was a US warplane and launched a missile at it.  It was the most obvious and likely explanation.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Aircraft carriers are so overrated now a days. Fighter jets got long range that allow them to be positioned way before an aircraft carrier and don't face the risk of being sunk.

And the hours it would take to fly those fighters to the combat zone doesn't matter?  If you can't borrow or establish airfields asap, you need to bring them with you.

I can't imagine it is possible for the Russians to invade Africa, South America or Australia very easily, and North America would he tough going, too.

I wouldn't doubt they have what it takes to fight in Europe or Asia.  Maybe Africa would be ok... with access to bases in Syria.

Sure, it takes time to get a carrier in place, but it makes a big difference having them there.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Aircraft carriers are so overrated now a days.

Not even remotely true unless you're talking about the dinky carriers that Russia and China have. 

A Gerald R. Ford class super-carrier can carry up to 90 aircraft, including drones, and stay at sea without needing to visit a port for months.  Not to mention that they will eventually be upgraded with electron laser energy weapons and dynamic (electrically charged) armor. 

All that doesn't even take into consideration that US super-carriers always travel in a pack with cruisers, destroyers, frigates, and usually even submarines if it's in contested waters.

Fighter jets got long range that allow them to be positioned way before an aircraft carrier and don't face the risk of being sunk.

True, but depending on where the jet is going it has a greater chance of being shot down by both ground weapons and enemy aircraft the longer that it's in the air.  If you are launching multiple strike stealth fighters off of a super-carrier that's parked relatively close to the enemy country, you can continue to harass and bomb that country 24/7 if you choose to.

In your scenario though, that's one of the things that are attractive with the F-35, it has long range radar and can fire missiles while it's still outside it's target's effective range.   That is as long as it isn't malfunctioning for one reason or another. :lol:

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

I don’t know if they are there yet, for two main reasons.

Lack of military presence around the world and they have not been battle tested in decades.

I think they are. 2.5 million in the military, they have drones, nuclear weapons, an incredible navy and they are making islands in the ocean and deploying military there so they can reach certain countries easily if there is a war. Pretty incredible. 

20 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Not even remotely true unless you're talking about the dinky carriers that Russia and China have.

I figured I was right, but I also knew someone would have a better, more detailed, response.

• Cheers 1