The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Chicago Blackhawks at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 02, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

9. Fantenberg had a bad game. He had by far the worst Corsi on the D (and was -2) despite getting limited minutes and relatively protected minutes. And the first Chicago goal was due largely to a Fantenberg giveaway. Fantenberg did well when he first came in for Benn, but I think it is time to give Benn another shot. A lot of coaches don't like to make changes in a winning streak, but I expect Benn to come in for Fantenberg after the next Canuck loss (which I hope is a long way off).  Fantenberg played mostly with Myers and Myers was not great either.  

Yeah, Fantenberg was noticeably bad tonight. Would not shock me to see Benn in next game, streak or not. Benn deserves to get back in.

6 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

He had 4 takeaways no? and only one giveaway?

He’s always great on takeaways but that giveaway stat is ludicrous not just for him but for all the players. They don’t count bad passes in the offensive zone or poor decisions on entry passes.  

A fun game to watch if you don't dwell to long in the d-zone. Virtanen and Gaudette lost some TOI but I saw Virt get at least one shift and Ericksson sat. 

One of the most fascinating adds this year was JT Miller. He is having a great season and has a level of awareness that truly impresses. His interviews are often curious as he doesn't really hide anything. Last night he was not particularly positive post game. The mental lapses on a young team are often and it takes experience to reduce them. Miller has seen all this in TBay with a roster more talented than what Vancouver is right now. 

I have argued that the Canucks would make playoffs this year but will be surprised if they get past the 1st round. Whether a 1st or 2nd round the experience will be what starts to mold this young core towards CUP quality play. That will require a much higher level of play in their d-zone. IMO Miller knows this and few others on the roster do. Very little playoff experience. 

Good game boys, enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

7 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I believe it was his comments about how bad a trade it was for Vancouver acquiring Miller. He even doubled down saying he doesn't care how many points Miller gets it is still a bad trade for Vancouver, even if they make the playoffs.

Sounds like 3/4 of CDC regarding Green or whatever the latest troll target is.

6 hours ago, the_impersonator13 said:

He's a negative tool. I seriously to block him cause 1040 retweets his crap. I honestly thought I was gonna snap and tweet something at him I would have regretted. I actually dislike the guy more than Jeff Paterson.

Really missing Botch these days. 
jd Burke 

patrick johnston

harman Dayal

etc etc

boring. 

37 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

A fun game to watch if you don't dwell to long in the d-zone. Virtanen and Gaudette lost some TOI but I saw Virt get at least one shift and Ericksson sat. 

One of the most fascinating adds this year was JT Miller. He is having a great season and has a level of awareness that truly impresses. His interviews are often curious as he doesn't really hide anything. Last night he was not particularly positive post game. The mental lapses on a young team are often and it takes experience to reduce them. Miller has seen all this in TBay with a roster more talented than what Vancouver is right now. 

I have argued that the Canucks would make playoffs this year but will be surprised if they get past the 1st round. Whether a 1st or 2nd round the experience will be what starts to mold this young core towards CUP quality play. That will require a much higher level of play in their d-zone. IMO Miller knows this and few others on the roster do. Very little playoff experience. 

Good game boys, enjoy!

The playoffs baby!!

If they get a win early in a series the other team better shut it down quickly.  Give this team an inch of momentum and they could run the table.  

9 hours ago, BCNate said:

-Horvats best game if the year

-Boeser is turning into a very good all around player.  I think he is modelling some of his game after Miller

-Miller is on pace for 80.  Remember that first that we gave up?

-We have EP and Hughes.  Neither could drink in the states in October.  

-Virtanen was quiet,  but still another point.

- we have two of the 10 best players in the Wjc still to come.  And Madden.

-2 points back of the division lead with 2 games in hand.  We are still at least 2 seasons away from this core hitting its prime.

-green is improving at the same pace this team is.  

That elastic Czech Plasek looks like a sleeper pick.  Utunen is leading the Finns into the finals... he has TC's number.  

JV set the tone early by having a few run at DeBrincat. 

DeBrincat played scared all game. 

Miller's offensive production is nice and all but he's doing a good job developing some of our young forwards. 

Obviously EP40 and BB made a progress this year. 

Another forward I can see that benefited from his presence is JV. 

JV picks his spots to throw hits. The volume of his hits reduced a bit this season but his hits have been much more efficient. 

Plays kind of a similar style to Miller in that regard. Obviously very different players but both are big bodied power forwards and it doesnt hurt to mirror a thing or two.

I never worried about BB. He's quietly having a good season. His goal production has gone down a bit but he's passing more and has great vision. 

It is an asset for a sniper to develop those qualities. It makes the D-man think twice about jumping up so BB can take that extra second to angle and rip it.

Goals will come for sure for this kid. 

It's good to see the team keep up the streak. 

At the same time, it's super nice to enjoy CDC experience without having to read all those non-sense spams from the keyboard warriors. 

• Cheers 4

30 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Apples and oranges.  Fact is, Jake is much different now than he was, including last night.  Whereas before he could gain the zone, he would then often throw the puck away hastily or toss it towards the net.  That rarely happens now; he has his head up and will nearly always seek to make a play, whether stopping up or continuing to move through the offensive zone.  This started to show in his play in the second half of last year, and has become a clear and consistent part of his game now.  The results are showing not only on the scoreboard but in the trust that the coach has in him to now be on the powerplay and on the ice late in games.  He's on a 48-point pace and it's not due to being with high-end offensive producers either.

Definitely playing much better, no argument there. He is on pace to double his output from his best year. That’s fantastic. I guess the point is that he has more upside. He was always great at grabbing the puck and if there is any room he puts the other team straight on its heels. But I think he should sometimes be holding the puck and holding his man off more often when there is nothing there like Horvat and Boeser do. Those guys enter the zone and if there is nothing they work strong along the boards a little more effectively. But V is getting there no doubt. I hope he re signs with Vancouver for sure. And I take your point about him playing with Roussel and Gaudette. Def has to make his own way on that line.  His ceiling is high. 

Edited by hobart16