The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Chicago Blackhawks at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 02, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Can't deny what I typed but for the most part it was 'well if someone is getting fired I rather JB over Green.'  No one can deny the great drafting Benning has done, I just don't have much faith in him to handle the cap going forward.  Another management hire could help with that as well.  I also don't like how he has taken control over the medical staff, I think this is overlooked and has taken a step backwards versus previous regimes. 

I don't know about the medical part, it seems to me like other than Ferland and Sutters chronic issues we've been doing pretty well this year on health issues.

I'm a little more concerned over our horror-show defensive lapses last night, that bothers me more than future cap issues that have an actual solution to them, we may have to forgo another free agent signing next year but maybe thats not such a bad idea. 

58 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

there were times during the game that imo, if the guys played like that more often, they could actually do some damage in the playoffs.  the best players were the best players last night. great and exciting  game to watch. hard to pick 3 stars. 

Agree 100%

Also, regardless of playoffs, play that kind of hockey on a permanent basis, and the days of half empty Rogers are firmly over... Entertainment extraordinary... Brilliant advert for hockey...

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Trebreh said:

6 straight wins!! 

Duncan Teeth still getting booed warms heart.

Miller 2nd best trade ever

Marky great in the 2nd to keep is in the game.

Quinn = ELITE #1 defenceman

2 points back for first place in division with 2 games at hand. 

OK ALRIGHT GIF - OK ALRIGHT DenzelWashington GIFs

Fixed.

Naslund for Stojanov best Canuck trade ever

• Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

As per Burke, it was the usual 10-15% vocal but "insane lunatic fringe."  Cannot judge the fanbase on twitter, radio, or even CDC because the whiners are always the loudest and most impatient, reactionary, and panicky.

Definitely true. When I made my Church of V thread I had remembered there being multitudes clamoring for Virtanen to be waived but when I checked the evidence it was basically a handful of idiots who posted over and over again. Most posts were within the bounds of rational thought at least. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Two weeks ago 90% of CDC wanted Green gone.  Hopefully people see how asinine of an idea that would've been.  Not only was that a great timeout but he also threw Gaudette out in the third when he probably played his worse game of the year and got rewarded big time.  Green for Jack Adams.  Players love him, no mind games, no bs with the media.  Extend this man JB.

But but Green only knows the dump and chase. Clearly the players have stopped listening to Green and are doing their own thing for the success lately. I'm sure Bo probably decided to call that timeout and Gaudette jumped on the ice on his own despite Green telling him to get off the ice. Babcock FOREvERzzzz!!!?!!?

• Upvote 3

with the team picking up 12 points in 6 games and seeing our kids doing well in the World Juniors. Toni Utunen has a chance to get a medal, where as Hogs n Podz has a chance of silver and gold respectively. Hogs leading the Tourny now in scoring. It’s hard not to be exciting about this team now and in the future. Raining today, but I’m wearing my shades on this January dayB)

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, EP Phone Home said:

with the team picking up 12 points in 6 games and seeing our kids doing well in the World Juniors. Toni Utunen has a chance to get a medal, where as Hogs n Podz has a chance of silver and gold respectively. Hogs leading the Tourny now in scoring. It’s hard not to be exciting about this team now and in the future. Raining today, but I’m wearing my shades on this January dayB)

And there is a distinct possibility that a certain Russian defenseman might return after his final contract year ends. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

So much to like from this game last night. First beating the Hawks never gets old. Kane just pisses me off every time i see him.

Marky did not play poorly there just were a lot of grade A chances on both sides. The ones he saved were point blank. Weird bounce on the 4-2 goal but we got that back on Bo's goal.

I thought that despite Gaudette getting the winner that was his worst effort this season. He seemed to be struggling all game otherwise. I love AG and think he is going to continue to develop but that was not his best game. Great shot though on the GWG.

Fantenberg has played well through the 6 games but he didnt look good last night, fought the puck, seemed lost on a coverage or two and went to a guy that was already covered a couple of times.

Its time for the Miller for 1st rounder opponents to sit in the corner and be quiet. That has turned out to be not only a great trade but a catalyst for Brock and Petey to learn how to play the game.

Roussell was a bit more invisible in this game but he has sparked the team since his return.

Hughes is a beauty. nuff said

Beagle looked tired out there last night, maybe he has the flu but he was slower than usual. I still like his attitude..." i am not coming here to lose, i dont care what their GM says. I am coming here to win" Culture has changed

Bo , the Captain. What a game! This is the guy we saw who can bring it all. Cant wait to see what he does in the playoffs.

38 minutes ago, Pete M said:

prior to this 6 game win streak, Canucks went 0-3 with Sutter in the line up...gotta be careful what you wish for.

Who would've thought inserting Loui was the magic elixir as we are 6-0 with him back in the lineup. Something no one seemed to wish for.

10 hours ago, JamesB said:

1. Wow. That was an exciting game. Great to see the Canucks come back from down 2 after giving up 3 goals early in the second. 

2. Shorty was saying what a great game Horvat had. He did. I would have made him first star. Here is the reason. Horvat was playing shutdown against both Toews and Kane (they sometimes played together but usually did not). He logged more 5-on-5 time than any other forward against Kane AND against Toews. Despite that, Horvat led the team in Corsi and most other stats regarding 5-on-5 play. He went 9 and 6 in faceoff dot (facing Toews much of the time). And of course he got on the scoreboard with 3 points. And, by the eye-test, Horvat was excellent.  He also had three blocked shots. 

3. In fact, once again, the Horvat-Pearson-Eriksson line was excellent. Even if Leivo was healthy, I would keep Eriksson on that line, which has developed great defensive chemistry and of course Horvat and Pearson are also putting points on the board. The injury to Leivo has turned into a reclamation project for Eriksson, who has been transformed from deadweight into a very useful player. 

4. The Pettersson, Miller, Boeser line was obviously excellent. The Miller trade continues to pay dividends. And I loved the Gaudette goal. (And he was 6 and 3 in the faceoff circle and played well generally.)

5. Edler is not getting a lot of attention on CDC but he had another excellent game and logged big minutes against Kane and Toews, as did Tanev.

6. Here is a trick question. Which Canuck D logged the most 5-on-5 time against Toews? Answer -- Hughes. Hughes had another great game. I continue to be amazed by how well he skates the puck out of trouble -- not just carrying the puck, both also skating to the puck to get there first and on a safe angle to keep the puck out of trouble. And he was able to skate with Kane, which not many Ds around the league can do. 

7. And, as J-23 says, credit to Green for using his timeout effectively.  

8. So, with all these great performances, why was the game so close. What went wrong? Here are a few things. First, Markstrom did not have a great game, letting in a couple more goals than he should have. Yes, he made some good saves -- but every goalie makes some good saves pretty much every game. Markstrom has been great this season, but not tonight. 

9. Fantenberg had a bad game. He had by far the worst Corsi on the D (and was -2) despite getting limited minutes and relatively protected minutes. And the first Chicago goal was due largely to a Fantenberg giveaway. Fantenberg did well when he first came in for Benn, but I think it is time to give Benn another shot. A lot of coaches don't like to make changes in a winning streak, but I expect Benn to come in for Fantenberg after the next Canuck loss (which I hope is a long way off).  Fantenberg played mostly with Myers and Myers was not great either.  

10. Also, I have made this comment after the last two games and it is true again today. The Beagle line is getting crushed in Corsi. They are giving up a lot of high danger chances and generating very few. Someone commented after the last game that this is okay because Beagle is like Malhotra back in 2011 - soaking up tough minutes so you expect a negative Corsi. That argument is not true. The guy soaking up the tough minutes is Horvat. The current Canuck situation is more like the pre-Malhotra Canucks when the Kesler line played shutdown and put up points. I am not saying that Green has better options for the 4th line right now, but I am saying that they generate very little offence and give up a lot more than the Horvat line defensively. Their most valuable role right now is that all three guys -- Beagle, Motte, and Schaller -- play well on the PK. That means that Horvat and Pearson and Miller do not need to play PK, which is a big help. 

11. It was a great character win. Really hope the Canucks can keep the win streak going. The team as a whole is looking good right now. I really like the top-4 D and the top-9 forwards, and of course the goaltending has generally been very good. The Canucks certainly have to be favored to make the playoffs as of right now. 

Ferland replaces Schaller...problem solved?

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Two weeks ago 90% of CDC wanted Green gone.  Hopefully people see how asinine of an idea that would've been.  Not only was that a great timeout but he also threw Gaudette out in the third when he probably played his worse game of the year and got rewarded big time.  Green for Jack Adams.  Players love him, no mind games, no bs with the media.  Extend this man JB.

U mean ~90% of the posters in CDC. 

As that vote post showed, it was the minority who actually supported Green's firing. 

It's just that those few keyboard warriors spam the same posts over and over again and flooded pretty much every single threads (even the irrelevant ones) with the exact same claims without much backup. 

Their reasonings were either absent or non-sensible so I stopped paying much attention. 

But it was definitely a pain to go through so many of those in every threads. 

Hope they were just some kids. It's hard to imagine grown men doing that. 

• Upvote 1