The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Chicago Blackhawks at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 02, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Two weeks ago 90% of CDC wanted Green gone.  Hopefully people see how asinine of an idea that would've been.  Not only was that a great timeout but he also threw Gaudette out in the third when he probably played his worse game of the year and got rewarded big time.  Green for Jack Adams.  Players love him, no mind games, no bs with the media.  Extend this man JB.

For me, it was more than a month ago, after Pittsburgh game where we blew the lead 6-3.  That was the worst defensive display I ever seen and have been calling for his head.  Surely, he is a good coach but he has to figure out a way to stop the bleeding. :)   I do not doubt that this team is able to score goals but stopping the bleeding is another issue.  This upcoming tough road trip will show what this team is made of.  The main thing is stopping the bleeding whether it be goals against or shots allowed against.  This recent winning streak doesn't really change my mind about the coach.   Hopefully that he would continue to improve as a coach and I do not doubt that he will be a good one but not for this team, at least this year unless defensive coverage has improved greatly under his leadership as a coach.

It wasn't an oil painting, but it was a win. IMO, you treat this one the same way you treat a big loss.....nothing really to take away. Just move on to the next one...

Re the booing of Duncan Keith: I'm not "over" his cheap shot on Danny in 2012 and I'm still pissed off that in the intervening 8 years, he's never had to pay for it. As much as I like beating the Hawks, nothing would top seeing one of the Canucks feeding him a steady diet of knuckle sandwiches.

Good use of the TO Travis....hopefully the "fire the coach" crowd are nice and comfy back underneath their respective rocks....

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

But but Green only knows the dump and chase. Clearly the players have stopped listening to Green and are doing their own thing for the success lately. I'm sure Bo probably decided to call that timeout and Gaudette jumped on the ice on his own despite Green telling him to get off the ice. Babcock FOREvERzzzz!!!?!!?

It looks like they are not playing "dump and chase" as much....I see them maintaining possession more often entering the ozone by taking the puck wide and setting up the attack....they're learning how to play successful hockey.

one example, the Horvat goal....he took it wide with speed with two guys crashing the net...the guys crashing the net had a huge effect on the puck bouncing off others and crossing the goal line...simplify by having guys go for the net and throwing the puck towards the net at the right time...good things can happen.

Edited by Pete M

13 minutes ago, Pete M said:

It looks like they are not playing "dump and chase" as much....I see them maintaining possession more often entering the ozone by taking the puck wide and setting up the attack....they're learning how to play successful hockey.

It's confidence. During the rough stretch, the players did try to maintain possession, but were coughing it up and thus dump and chase is the safe play. They are playing with more swagger now. We have always wanted to play a possession game (why do you think Green throws out Horvat for faceoff duties as often as he can for example?), but dump and chase is a strategy used by all teams. We have players that can get behind the defenders like Miller which is simply another option for us.

16 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It wasn't an oil painting, but it was a win. IMO, you treat this one the same way you treat a big loss.....nothing really to take away. Just move on to the next one...

Re the booing of Duncan Keith: I'm not "over" his cheap shot on Danny in 2012 and I'm still pissed off that in the intervening 8 years, he's never had to pay for it. As much as I like beating the Hawks, nothing would top seeing one of the Canucks feeding him a steady diet of knuckle sandwiches.

Good use of the TO Travis....hopefully the "fire the coach" crowd are nice and comfy back underneath their respective rocks....

Green agrees, he said it was like painting a barn.

33 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

That was a terrible game. Awesome to watch and great win but execution was poor. That won't win playoff hockey. 

I disagree. We were crashing the net hard, playing physical when we needed to and were able to turn the momentum around from being down 4-2 to come back to win. Of course we need to tighten things up defensively, but the team showed character in fighting back and at the end of the day, they got the win (in regulation to boot) no matter how ugly it was.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

It's confidence. During the rough stretch, the players did try to maintain possession, but were coughing it up and thus dump and chase is the safe play. They are playing with more swagger now. We have always wanted to play a possession game (why do you think Green throws out Horvat for faceoff duties as often as he can for example?), but dump and chase is a strategy used by all teams. We have players that can get behind the defenders like Miller which is simply another option for us.

They are actually a good team with the D&C.......lots of speed and good forecheckers.  They get zone possession more from that than trying to carry it in.

Just now, theo5789 said:

to me, it seems that they were dumping it in more during the rough stretch when they could have maintained possession..maybe a confidence thing, but also a coaching strategy. I see them now entering the zone more often with possession by taking it wide, another heading for the net and another being the trailer...setting up the triangle, rather than just throwing the puck in the corner and chasing. 

The strategy has changed.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

They are actually a good team with the D&C.......lots of speed and good forecheckers.  They get zone possession more from that than trying to carry it in.

I think people here dump and chase and they just cringe at the sound of it.

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

to me, it seems that they were dumping it in more during the rough stretch when they could have maintained possession..maybe a confidence thing, but also a coaching strategy. I see them now entering the zone more often with possession by taking it wide, another heading for the net and another being the trailer...setting up the triangle, rather than just throwing the puck in the corner and chasing. 

The strategy has changed.

The team was certainly trying to carry it in during the rough stretch. They were bobbling the puck and making poor passes (some games seemed like the couldn't string together 3 consecutive passes). The dump and chase is a strategy deployed by all teams. I don't think the strategy has changed, perhaps tweaked with watching video and adjusting where players should be and such, but confidence plays a big part in execution.

• Upvote 1

First of all, good game for the coach, Bo and Gaud. Another good game by Virt, Miller, Petey and Hughes. Not a great game by Marky but for most of the year ,he has been great, and that's what I look at. 

I am not going to go back and forth on Green, yes he made a great decision on the "timeout" and he has had them playing inspired hockey...……..lately. 

There is still half the season to go and the test will be for him to continue to get these guys to play, consistently. Having a 6 game win streak does not make all the bad before that , all of a sudden, better.

Edler was sorely missed and we play way better with him in the line up.

I sure would like to see Bo play like that more often then not,and get back to where he was when he first started in the league. He seems to be getting too "comfortable" being a pro and that "hunger" for the game has lessened. 

Petey with those "hits" was a treat to see, he just keeps amazing me. Sure reminds me of Bure and his strong desire to win at all costs.

Chicago has gotten very young and less abrasive, we feasted on that and it showed. We imposed ourselves more and gave our offensive guys more confidence to do more with the puck.  I hope the young guys learn from this and gain a little more confidence.

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The team was certainly trying to carry it in during the rough stretch. They were bobbling the puck and making poor passes (some games seemed like the couldn't string together 3 consecutive passes). The dump and chase is a strategy deployed by all teams. I don't think the strategy has changed, perhaps tweaked with watching video and adjusting where players should be and such, but confidence plays a big part in execution.

during the rough stretch, I saw many times when they could have taken the puck wide with possession, but they rather dumped and chased...they're not doing that as much now....I know this because I don't throw the foam bricks at the tv as much...lol

Edited by Pete M
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

That was a terrible game. Awesome to watch and great win but execution was poor. That won't win playoff hockey. 

OMG this is so ridiculous.

Winning is winning...they're not all textbook or executed perfectly but if you win, you got the job done.  Regular season, playoffs, whatever.  The teams are all the same regular or post season...they just up the intensity.  We're capable of beating teams if we're healthy and the goaltending stays rock solid.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

during the rough stretch, I saw many times when they could have taken the puck wide with possession, but they rather dumped and chased...they're not doing that as much now....I know this because I don't throw the foam bricks at the tv as much...lol

I'm not saying they are doing the dump and chase the same. I just think the game plan was always to play with possession (but have the personnel to play the dump and chase game as well), however because of confidence players may have reverted to dump it in rather than risk coughing the puck up at their blueline and have it going back the other way. Dump and chase is simply a safe tactic that all teams do (just like the drop pass that people complain about). We have players that are willing and wanting to play this game (eg Miller) and when things aren't going your way, it's an easy, but hard working type play to grind through when the skill isn't showing through.

I don't think it's a strategy "change" in the sense that they decided to play this new system. I think coaching has watched video and discussed with the players on what to do to improve on entries and how players should be positioned to draw defenders and be open for passes. We have seen an evolution on the PP for zone entries and until things work out, the drop pass was the most effective/safest play at that time. Having the dump and chase system and being effective at it also forces the defenders to decide whether to anticipate the dump in or pinch up for the carry in. Having options to pass to also creates more complication for the defense. I think we have made some good tweaks, but execution still comes from confidence.