The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Chicago Blackhawks at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 02, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm not saying they are doing the dump and chase the same. I just think the game plan was always to play with possession (but have the personnel to play the dump and chase game as well), however because of confidence players may have reverted to dump it in rather than risk coughing the puck up at their blueline and have it going back the other way. Dump and chase is simply a safe tactic that all teams do (just like the drop pass that people complain about). We have players that are willing and wanting to play this game (eg Miller) and when things aren't going your way, it's an easy, but hard working type play to grind through when the skill isn't showing through.

I don't think it's a strategy "change" in the sense that they decided to play this new system. I think coaching has watched video and discussed with the players on what to do to improve on entries and how players should be positioned to draw defenders and be open for passes. We have seen an evolution on the PP for zone entries and until things work out, the drop pass was the most effective/safest play at that time. Having the dump and chase system and being effective at it also forces the defenders to decide whether to anticipate the dump in or pinch up for the carry in. Having options to pass to also creates more complication for the defense. I think we have made some good tweaks, but execution still comes from confidence.

100%...they seem to be more confident and willing to take more calculated risks than making only the safe play.

Dump and chase a lot of times is the only option...especially when the other team challenges the entry at the blue line by taking time and space away before entering the blue line.

Edited by Pete M
add
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Pete M said:

100%...they seem to be more confident and willing to take more calculated risks than making only the safe play.

Dump and chase a lot of times is the only option...especially when the other team challenges the entry at the blue line by taking time and space away before entering the blue line.

That's what usually happens when you can get that monkey off your back.

13 hours ago, BCNate said:

-Horvats best game if the year

-Boeser is turning into a very good all around player.  I think he is modelling some of his game after Miller

-Miller is on pace for 80.  Remember that first that we gave up?

-We have EP and Hughes.  Neither could drink in the states in October.  

-Virtanen was quiet,  but still another point.

- we have two of the 10 best players in the Wjc still to come.  And Madden.

-2 points back of the division lead with 2 games in hand.  We are still at least 2 seasons away from this core hitting its prime.

-green is improving at the same pace this team is.  

Excellent post.  And to think some 'fans' here want to trade Boeser and other 'fans' say he is not playing that well.

Boggles the mind lmao.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Pouliot and Clendening in that list as well. Hopefully Rafferty’s game translates to the NHL with more success than theirs has. 

that +17 is impressive...considering OJ is -10 with 13 pts and considered a top prospect...mindful of recovering from a serious injury. Nothing against OJ, but Rafferty is doing impressive things at the AHL level.

Rafferty might be the next call up for the right side if Tanev, Myers, or Stech go down with injury (knock on wood)...or Brisebois, who is also doing well.Capture1.PNG.3dc9ada098e82ea41dcb5256cde9bbe7.PNG

• Cheers 4

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Pouliot and Clendening in that list as well. Hopefully Rafferty’s game translates to the NHL with more success than theirs has. 

Rafferty is a +17 over Pouliots -10, I take that stat with a grain of salt. But being Raffs first pro season I like his chances a lot more then those 2 mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

that +17 is impressive...considering OJ is -10 with 13 pts and considered a top prospect...mindful of recovering from a serious injury. Nothing against OJ, but Rafferty is doing impressive things at the AHL level.

Rafferty might be the next call up for the right side if Tanev, Myers, or Stech go down with injury (knock on wood)...or Brisebois, who is also doing well.Capture1.PNG.3dc9ada098e82ea41dcb5256cde9bbe7.PNG

It's great to see the minor league depth performing so well. A welcome change from the days of....well, I blocked those days from my memory.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rypien=hero said:

Rafferty is a +17 over Pouliots -10, I take that stat with a grain of salt. But being Raffs first pro season I like his chances a lot more then those 2 mentioned.

Yeah, +/- is a funny stat, but can sometimes be indicative.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

yup...more of a team stat, but individually can be used as part of the analysis (start of the analysis)...sometimes, even for those who tend to ignore it, it can't be ignored.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

For sure, to me it shows that he is able to put up points while maintaining a solid defensive game. And Pouliot... well we all know about Pouliot, guys defense is hardly even on a echl level lol

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Chicago is suffering through a long season of being bottom feeder. 

Gotta feel some for warriors like Toews. 

I also liked watching Boqvist out there, he was my pick over Hughes for a long period leading up to the draft, but by the end, Bouchard, Dobson and Hughes were healthier options, for one. I still hope the best for Boqvist, but am thrilled the scouts got it absolutely right and picked QH. 

The Canucks need a few games with the best teams to temper their blade for the coming push towards the playoffs. We’ve had some quality opposition lately, but also a large selection of the league’s worst to pad stats with. Now is the time to look at the plan and adapt, which is on TG and JB to explore their options prior to the TDL. 

This is the half-way point of the season, where they typically go on a slide due injuries. JB must have anticipated this in the offseason, since quality players remain undressed. 

I still feel that AG will eventually earn that 2C role and BH will be used more effectively on special teams, match-ups and relied on less to do everything.

AG looks to be every bit as offensively suited for top 6 duty and his FO capacity isn’t any worse than other star C’s in the league, if you want to split hairs. He’ll get there.  

Am I ever glad they stuck it out with Markstrom.

He’s one heck of a good goalie, even when he’s bad, he’s nowhere near as bad as Cloochie and the other disasters we’ve had in goal here, and there has been a lot of them. 

That Pod kid looks to be another Miller-type player; a guy capable of puck retrieval and setup man for EP, the sniper. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, rypien=hero said:

For sure, to me it shows that he is able to put up points while maintaining a solid defensive game. And Pouliot... well we all know about Pouliot, guys defense is hardly even on a echl level lol

Totally. His puck watching skills on the other hand are exemplary.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I believe it was his comments about how bad a trade it was for Vancouver acquiring Miller. He even doubled down saying he doesn't care how many points Miller gets it is still a bad trade for Vancouver, even if they make the playoffs.

What kind of moron would even do that?

Any sensible person would at least leave it open to them being wrong if the player plays out of his mind.

I hate that troll....

11 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

How about Adam Gaudette, this guy has taken his game to the next level.

Still learning for him to do, but he's offering us a 3rd line that can produce now. With Virtanen coming into his own & Roussel bringing his usual spark that line offers more than what we've gotten in the past. 

Having a third line that can chip in at key times is necessary for winning teams, looks like we are forming that with Gaudette as the third C. 

If Sutter ever gets healthy he should join the 4th line with Beagle and Motte. Let Schaller sit a bit.

Keep that 3rd line together.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1