The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Chicago Blackhawks at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 02, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

If Sutter ever gets healthy he should join the 4th line with Beagle and Motte. Let Schaller sit a bit.

Keep that 3rd line together.

I agree Sutter will give that line a bit of an offensive threat. Schaller is like LE in that there is not much in any type of "offensive threat" of any kind.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Pouliot and Clendening in that list as well. Hopefully Rafferty’s game translates to the NHL with more success than theirs has. 

I’d have to look up their ages, deployment and team stats to dig into those numbers. The D position and stats is tricky without the big picture, of course.

IMO, our Utica D isn’t all that young or capable, as a whole, but consist of several smallish, yet serviceable call-up Dmen who will provide depth-depth. Woo isn’t even on the radar yet, although Edler isn’t going anywhere soon, so his game isn’t needed quite yet. 

OJ, hopefully, has a different trajectory than those options.

Our future D looks to be getting smaller, which I’m not at all interested in unless they play like QH. Even then, a balance is required.

JB has some work to do in securing quality options, IMO, but meanwhile he has a decent collection of guys who can compliment the existing Canucks Dcore.

Always nice to have options, even if they are simply depth-depth and JB has done well in that regard. I trust he has a plan to address the quality aspect, like he seemed to have last summer for the NHL roster. Fanta and Benn have been awesome additions. Meyers is great today, but I think by the end he’ll be our next whipping boy like LE.

Still, those were terrific additions to that pathetically pussified roster of yesteryear. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I agree Sutter will give that line a bit of an offensive threat. Schaller is like LE in that there is not much in any type of "offensive threat" of any kind.

I never thought those two things would end up in the same sentence....

I agree but woah ha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It wasn't an oil painting, but it was a win. IMO, you treat this one the same way you treat a big loss.....nothing really to take away. Just move on to the next one...

Re the booing of Duncan Keith: I'm not "over" his cheap shot on Danny in 2012 and I'm still pissed off that in the intervening 8 years, he's never had to pay for it. As much as I like beating the Hawks, nothing would top seeing one of the Canucks feeding him a steady diet of knuckle sandwiches.

Good use of the TO Travis....hopefully the "fire the coach" crowd are nice and comfy back underneath their respective rocks....

+100...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't feel so bad for Toews. He's got three Stanley Cup rings, and a couple of Olympic medals.

Toews reminds me of Linden here, minus the hardware, of course. 

Tough to watch warriors like those two battle in meaningless games, seasons and then to end their careers on losing or rebuilding rosters. 

Linden certainly continued to block shots with his face in the final minutes of an 8-2 loss, but without the zillion dollars Toews now has to cry himself to sleep on over his ‘deteriorating’ career. I only feel sorry for the waste of that player/warrior, nothing else... 

Horvat has a longggg ways to go to be compared, even in the slightest, to the dedication Linden brought as a Canuck, let alone captain. No offence to Horvat. 

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I never thought those two things would end up in the same sentence....

I agree but woah ha

I think its all relative. With those three in front of the net alone? My bets are on Sutter scoring over the other two. ::D 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It wasn't an oil painting, but it was a win. IMO, you treat this one the same way you treat a big loss.....nothing really to take away. Just move on to the next one...

Re the booing of Duncan Keith: I'm not "over" his cheap shot on Danny in 2012 and I'm still pissed off that in the intervening 8 years, he's never had to pay for it. As much as I like beating the Hawks, nothing would top seeing one of the Canucks feeding him a steady diet of knuckle sandwiches.

Good use of the TO Travis....hopefully the "fire the coach" crowd are nice and comfy back underneath their respective rocks....

I'm still not sold on Green , happy his doing well and the team but Green still has some growing to do....I still think it wouldnt hurt to have a former head coach on his staff like the flyer caching staff. 

But the team is winning either way 

14 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"A famous coach once told me that you don't always paint a portrait, sometimes you paint a barn." - Green

My guess is Al Arbour.

At the coaches clinic last June Green told a couple stories involving Al - he seems to have had a fair bit of influence on Travis.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I'm still not sold on Green , happy his doing well and the team but Green still has some growing to do....I still think it wouldnt hurt to have a former head coach on his staff like the flyer caching staff. 

JB selected the coach, knowing which styles would be used for his roster.

If anything, I’d be including JB in any criticism of Baumer, etc, because JB had a large hand in selecting which systems his players would best execute as a team when he selected TG as head coach. 

I like the 2-1-2, but not the passive D gap seen immediately by the opposition during transition play. QH alone was reason to address the D system in the off-season, IMO. The offensive structure remains a puzzle to me, given the roster composition, but what do I know... Special teams are tougher to nail down due to several fluid factors, which aren’t applicable here. 

TG looks good in a win, but generally in a loss, the high-vis breakdowns and errors are undeniably linkable to coaching and the growing body of work allows room for concern or criticisms. I’m not on the fire TG wagon, but I understand the mob’s misplaced rage and hope to remind them that TG was a JB selection, so spread some blame to him also. 

It’s been an interesting year. I’m already intrigued just thinking about the off-season. Coaching and deployment must be central to JB’s vision and execution.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see wholesale coaching changes this summer as the team continues it’s trajectory out of a rebuild phase, which TG and his staff have done well with, but a new approach is likely part of JB’s vision for his young core. 

How often do we see NHL coaches adapt new philosophies or approaches to their systems? Might have to think on that for a bit for an appropriate response.

I mean to say that I wouldn’t bet on the evolution or rebirth of TG as a coach, nor do I see him suited for the emerging Canucks roster, but again, it’s just a passing opinion of mine. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

image.jpeg.c5b17bdf758ac0045c122ec4d71ce466.jpeg
After believing that Green’s days might have been numbered, I’ve got a meal to attend to. 

Ugh, can I join you at the table? I was drunk in mexico in November, ranting about firing Green...lol. Will there be humble pie served for dessert!? It's my favorite ^_^

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

If Sutter ever gets healthy he should join the 4th line with Beagle and Motte. Let Schaller sit a bit.

Keep that 3rd line together.

I'd like to see them try Big Mac on the 4th line with Beagle and Motte, Timmy Schal looks to have slown down a bit lately, Mac is still with the team, I could see him and Benn getting into next game.

50 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Not that I disagree, but the thing with former head coaches is that they generally want to get back to being a HC. IMO, that wouldn't help Travis much, nor would it make enough of a difference, to justify the uncertainty that such a hire would bring.

21 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

JB selected the coach, knowing which styles would be used for his roster.

If anything, I’d be including JB in any criticism of Baumer, etc, because JB had a large hand in selecting which systems his players would best execute as a team when he selected TG as head coach. 

I like the 2-1-2, but not the passive D gap seen immediately by the opposition during transition play. QH alone was reason to address the D system in the off-season, IMO. The offensive structure remains a puzzle to me, given the roster composition, but what do I know... Special teams are tougher to nail down due to several fluid factors, which aren’t applicable here. 

TG looks good in a win, but generally in a loss, the high-vis breakdowns and errors are undeniably linkable to coaching and the growing body of work allows room for concern or criticisms. I’m not on the fire TG wagon, but I understand the mob’s misplaced rage and hope to remind them that TG was a JB selection, so spread some blame to him also. 

It’s been an interesting year. I’m already intrigued just thinking about the off-season. Coaching and deployment must be central to JB’s vision and execution.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see wholesale coaching changes this summer as the team continues it’s trajectory out of a rebuild phase, which TG and his staff have done well with, but a new approach is likely part of JB’s vision for his young core. 

How often do we see NHL coaches adapt new philosophies or approaches to their systems? Might have to think on that for a bit for an appropriate response.

I mean to say that I wouldn’t bet on the evolution or rebirth of TG as a coach, nor do I see him suited for the emerging Canucks roster, but again, it’s just a passing opinion of mine. 

I agree with everything your saying but I think Green is still on a hot seat cause of his coaching not the team....

this team has more talent then I've seen in sometime , so I beg the question is it coaching or did our team just get way better?

i like green but his still green at the nhl level and like you mentioned  for green to grow or rethink his systems , he needs someone on his staff with the knowledge to learn from so we're not learning on the fly    Or in game...

from your keyboard to Jim's ears I hope....

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not that I disagree, but the thing with former head coaches is that they generally want to get back to being a HC. IMO, that wouldn't help Travis much, nor would it make enough of a difference, to justify the uncertainty that such a hire would bring.

Okay with that logic look what mat sundin did in Van , listen to kes and juice and his leadership helped them , in his short stay. 

So even if we hire one for a year , that's a year of Green having help and having someone there that has been threw it. 

Check out the flyers coaching staff , heard in a interview they all like it cause they all understand each other and it makes each of their jobs easier. 

I agree HC don't want to be a side kick but sometimes it's not a bad thing. 

So I beg a differ.