The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Chicago Blackhawks at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 02, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

The use the flyers cause their team is a lot like ours. Young. 

Also @189lb enforcers? Mentioned blue jackets did the same thing. 

But how come it didn't add fuel in either one of those places? Blue jacket fans problem don't care but flyer fans.....

p.s forgot this. Wasn't fans complain bo wasn't playing mean enough ? I rather had kes mentor bo over the Sedins. You need the right type of leadership not just any type will work....

But we are playing no worse than the Flyers despite not following their model and they were in about the same position as we were last year too. They still have Giroux and Voracek who are still a major part of their core. They were a team for the past decade that should've been better than they were and I would suggest goaltending was their issue, not the coaching. Personally I thought the Flyers would be even better than they are now with AV, but Giroux and Voracek especially have seemed to regressed a bit (perhaps under a new system).

Maybe some fans complained, I certainly didn't. Did you not watch last night? Bo was a leader throughout the night and buried the game on a blocked shot and throwing in the final dagger. Bo is doing just fine it seems with the Sedin mentorship.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Flyers have a young team and maybe if we had a vet coach things would be different. Also I'm happy you brought up av and torts , two coaches that coach the same style green tries but av and torts have both told players To go fight and I'm still waiting to see that from Green. 

Toronto had a young core with a vet in Babcock, look how that turned out.

9 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

So Lowry plays the style I wish I saw more from Bo. 

i would happily take boone or Anderson ha

i think we still need a guy like DD cause look at the Knights game reeves was trying to bully Jake ( Jake didn't back down like many) could you picture the meaniness the team would play like wth a guy like that encouraging it ha I would be in heaven ha. 

What is Bo lacking from that description? Bo also is utilized offensively as well, so he's much more important for our team on the ice than off it (in a fight or whatever).

12 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

This is the problem. From a fan's perspective, you really see only a small portion of what's being done as a coach. What kind of energy do you want? Gum throwing and towel waving? There's been a trend where the old school type coaching is a no go anymore. The players seem to love Green and that's all that really matters.

That's the thing one of the hardest things to do is get a whole team to buy in and Green did that but I see Green getting judged on his coaching this season , seeing if Green's systems will work in the nhl and success is a bonus. 

Cause we know we have talent now and now it's time for green to shine over the next couple seasons if he makes it. 

I don't see any other way to help Green cause if he loses games Cause of coaching he will lose the room and players will question everything and then boom anther torts year or Willie

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

What is Bo lacking from that description? Bo also is utilized offensively as well, so he's much more important for our team on the ice than off it (in a fight or whatever).

For a few games he lacked hits.... That's all I was pointing out and could you see if Bo picked up kes's attitude on the ice.... That's all I was pointing out the Sedins on ice leadership is suited for a skill team more then the team we're building....

13 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

But we are playing no worse than the Flyers despite not following their model and they were in about the same position as we were last year too. They still have Giroux and Voracek who are still a major part of their core. They were a team for the past decade that should've been better than they were and I would suggest goaltending was their issue, not the coaching. Personally I thought the Flyers would be even better than they are now with AV, but Giroux and Voracek especially have seemed to regressed a bit (perhaps under a new system).

Maybe some fans complained, I certainly didn't. Did you not watch last night? Bo was a leader throughout the night and buried the game on a blocked shot and throwing in the final dagger. Bo is doing just fine it seems with the Sedin mentorship.

Let me ask you this...if AV was the coach would be in the same spot or better? 

Yes I watched bo last night and yea he played good but I'm just pointing out learning the two way game from a guy like kes would have been huge but that's my take but most people know how I feel about the Sedins so I'll leave it at that. 

20 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Flyers have a young team and maybe if we had a vet coach things would be different. Also I'm happy you brought up av and torts , two coaches that coach the same style green tries but av and torts have both told players To go fight and I'm still waiting to see that from Green. 

IIRC AV held guys from fights more often then sent them out to fight.  I remember him physically holding (I think Hordichuk?) at the bench when things got heated one game.  When he coached the Rangers, there was a game we played them where things got chippy and he could of escalated but he told his guys to calm down and let cooler heads prevail.

AV was once a rookie coach with us.  He played a boring defensive style until Gillis came in, wanted to play an up-tempo puck possession game and gave AV a chance to adjust.  Very similar to Greens progression currently (AV coached our farm team in Manitoba just like Green in Utica) and I think Green is becoming a bit of a hybrid between Torts and AV.  

Just like players, coaches need development too.  The players like Green, have bought into his system and he's showing growth as a coach.  The way he handles the media is a huge bonus.  I'm happy to see where he takes us the next couple seasons.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

That's the thing one of the hardest things to do is get a whole team to buy in and Green did that but I see Green getting judged on his coaching this season , seeing if Green's systems will work in the nhl and success is a bonus. 

Cause we know we have talent now and now it's time for green to shine over the next couple seasons if he makes it. 

I don't see any other way to help Green cause if he loses games Cause of coaching he will lose the room and players will question everything and then boom anther torts year or Willie

I think we are a far ways away from the Green losing the room. Green should be judged every year as a coach for sure and this is the first year where there may be a playoff caliber roster. No one questioned Trotz and allowed him to develop and look at him today. I'm not worried about a huge blow up because the team has preached patience as they understand it's a process and there will be growing pains from the team and the coaching staff. The positive sign is seeing growth from everyone.

19 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

For a few games he lacked hits.... That's all I was pointing out and could you see if Bo picked up kes's attitude on the ice.... That's all I was pointing out the Sedins on ice leadership is suited for a skill team more then the team we're building....

Naslund was mentored by Messier. Naslund never played like Messier. Sedins built character amongst Bo and the team. Bo is getting the job done his way and it's an effective style. We will see how he turns it up in the playoffs where all teams up the intensity level when he gets that opportunity (I don't expect him to fight, but I think he will step up to the physicality of the playoffs).

17 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Playoffs.... And I think everyone knows babs and dumbass wasn't on the same page like Green and Jim are 

1st round exits. We are in a playoff position now with half a season to go. Perhaps we can get there without a veteran coaching presence.

12 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Let me ask you this...if AV was the coach would be in the same spot or better? 

Yes I watched bo last night and yea he played good but I'm just pointing out learning the two way game from a guy like kes would have been huge but that's my take but most people know how I feel about the Sedins so I'll leave it at that. 

Who knows how we would fare with AV. The Flyers are in the same position as we are now. They were a team that was in the top 3 in their division only a couple of seasons ago. They've been re-tooling and not re-building, so they have a different core set up.

Bo plays a great two way game. The only thing he doesn't do compared to Kes is the nasty/cheap part of the game. I'm fine with that. The Sedins retired as legends, Kesler will soon be forgotten.

2 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

IIRC AV held guys from fights more often then sent them out to fight.  I remember him physically holding (I think Hordichuk?) at the bench when things got heated one game.  When he coached the Rangers, there was a game we played them where things got chippy and he could of escalated but he told his guys to calm down and let cooler heads prevail.

AV was once a rookie coach with us.  He played a boring defensive style until Gillis came in, wanted to play an up-tempo puck possession game and gave AV a chance to adjust.  Very similar to Greens progression currently (AV coached our farm team in Manitoba just like Green in Utica) and I think Green is becoming a bit of a hybrid between Torts and AV.  

Just like players, coaches need development too.  The players like Green, have bought into his system and he's showing growth as a coach.  The way he handles the media is a huge bonus.  I'm happy to see where he takes us the next couple seasons.

Didnt av tell glass to fight guys bigger then him??

oh yea I remember av coaching the moose. I went to a few of their games and I loved them growing up (was the only pro team in Manitoba at the time)

i agree wait and see but all I'm saying what would it hurt? Green learns a few tricks sooner rather then later. 

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think we are a far ways away from the Green losing the room. Green should be judged every year as a coach for sure and this is the first year where there may be a playoff caliber roster. No one questioned Trotz and allowed him to develop and look at him today. I'm not worried about a huge blow up because the team has preached patience as they understand it's a process and there will be growing pains from the team and the coaching staff. The positive sign is seeing growth from everyone.

Naslund was mentored by Messier. Naslund never played like Messier. Sedins built character amongst Bo and the team. Bo is getting the job done his way and it's an effective style. We will see how he turns it up in the playoffs where all teams up the intensity level when he gets that opportunity (I don't expect him to fight, but I think he will step up to the physicality of the playoffs).

1st round exits. We are in a playoff position now with half a season to go. Perhaps we can get there without a veteran coaching presence.

Who knows how we would fare with AV. The Flyers are in the same position as we are now. They were a team that was in the top 3 in their division only a couple of seasons ago. They've been re-tooling and not re-building, so they have a different core set up.

Bo plays a great two way game. The only thing he doesn't do compared to Kes is the nasty/cheap part of the game. I'm fine with that. The Sedins retired as legends, Kesler will soon be forgotten.

Only reason the Sedins are legends are thx to that man you want to forget!!

the Sedins would have never made it to the finals without Kes! People get pissy when I put down the Sedins but you can say that about kes? Kes made the Sedins better and without kes , your legends wouldn't have been one of the best teams in the nhl! Sedins needed kes more then kes needed them....kes always did all the heavy lifting and with two third line guys most of his career here!

Probably the best two way player we have ever had! 

Those nasty/cheap plays got us to game seven and I might add kes destroyed the preds that year too. 

I want a cup and players that will do anything to bring it to Van. 

If you want a gentleman then let him be around others , if you want a guy that will do anything to win even in practice then get them around guys like kes and juice and burr.  :) 

Difference is Nazzy and the Sedins could only lead one way and Bo can do it in many. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Took Trotz 20 seasons before he won a cup and now seems like he can do no wrong.  Also, not worried about Bo bring mentored by the Sedins.  In the twins congratulatory video the mentioned for Bo to not change his style and his style is more Linden than Hank.  (Hank has never dropped the gloves)

13 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Didnt av tell glass to fight guys bigger then him??

oh yea I remember av coaching the moose. I went to a few of their games and I loved them growing up (was the only pro team in Manitoba at the time)

i agree wait and see but all I'm saying what would it hurt? Green learns a few tricks sooner rather then later. 

You know what, I seem to remember that too with Glass.  And you make a fair point about learning tricks sooner, maybe someone in an advisor roll to the coaching staff?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Took Trotz 20 seasons before he won a cup and now seems like he can do no wrong.  Also, not worried about Bo bring mentored by the Sedins.  In the twins congratulatory video the mentioned for Bo to not change his style and his style is more Linden than Hank.  (Hank has never dropped the gloves)

You know what, I seem to remember that too with Glass.  And you make a fair point about learning tricks sooner, maybe someone in an advisor roll to the coaching staff?

I know bo leadership is fine , I was just pointing out what could have happen if a beast like kes could ld get bo playing the same way kes did. Minus the fighting  

yes! That would work perfect someone that green to lean on. 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Kamloops is, and since I’m a road warrior, the radius I draw around what I’d call homeland is a lit larger than most enjoy, so yes. Although, I’d say that of all directions, it’s my least frequented corner. I have plans for this spring/summer to change a lot of that. 

If you ever see a freak on a red, hot rod Waverunner in the Thompson River system, that’s me. I am looking to get in behind Quesnel Lake and into the Wells Gray systems in my side by side and by water this year. There is an enormous stretch of paradise in a triangle between that lake, Murtle and Canim lakes that I want to get more familiar with. 

I collect slate rock to use as flagstone in my yard from that area and frequent it for work and camping. I recommend it to anyone for its bugs, extreme weather changes, grizzlies, Sasquatches and fire bans. ::D

That cave area seems like you’d need a helicopter trip to trespass into.

One thing about living here in Kamloops...

I can draw a 180km radius around this river city and find myself in almost any and all awesome things to see and do, minus the ocean aspect, and it’s all very accessible, even the extremely remote stuff, if you’re capable of doing it in the first place. Revelstoke, Lillooet, Penticton, Vavenby.. it’s a massive recreational paradise, mostly 4 lanes to. Pretty cool. I get to travel for work for the rest. 

My weekend warrior stuff is unrivalled for choice, IMO, unless you’re an ocean guy, then I have nothing here for you. After work, I can fish or whatever I like in so many settings. Since I like classic cars, bikes and all things that make HP, what a place the desert is to get out and cruise. It’s all good until the Albortions come onto the roads and ruin everything, even the bush! Lol 

its just been for the skiing so far, for me but the little bit I did up your way was fantastic. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

the Sedins would have never made it to the finals without Kes! People get pissy when I put down the Sedins but you can say that about kes? Kes made the Sedins better and without kes , your legends wouldn't have been one of the best teams in the nhl! Sedins needed kes more then kes needed them....kes always did all the heavy lifting and with two third line guys most of his career here!

Probably the best two way player we have ever had! 

Those nasty/cheap plays got us to game seven and I might add kes destroyed the preds that year too. 

I want a cup and players that will do anything to bring it to Van. 

If you want a gentleman then let him be around others , if you want a guy that will do anything to win even in practice then get them around guys like kes and juice and burr.  :) 

Difference is Nazzy and the Sedins could only lead one way and Bo can do it in many. 

There are many reasons why the Sedins are legends. They thank all their teammates and everyone who got them to where they are. Kesler was a very good player for us and I respect his time here. We don't need him to teach Bo anything. What has Kesler done with his new team? He was a good support player and stepped up at crucial times, but it was always the Sedins' team.

Anyway the point is Bo isn't emulating the Sedins in game style, but learned the values on how to be a good leader in his own right. If Bo wanted to play the way Kesler did, he could just watch game tape. Being a captain is not just being a leader on the ice, but off of it as well.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Trotz had garbage teams to work with in Nashville, but still made them respectable over time. Washington was a much better team but could never get over that hump and he did so. NYI on paper should be an atrocious team, but he's got them going in an amazing system. IMO Trotz is the best coach in the game. A big reason is that the players love him. Green seems to be well liked by his team, so that's a positive sign.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

There are many reasons why the Sedins are legends. They thank all their teammates and everyone who got them to where they are. Kesler was a very good player for us and I respect his time here. We don't need him to teach Bo anything. What has Kesler done with his new team? He was a good support player and stepped up at crucial times, but it was always the Sedins' team.

Anyway the point is Bo isn't emulating the Sedins in game style, but learned the values on how to be a good leader in his own right. If Bo wanted to play the way Kesler did, he could just watch game tape. Being a captain is not just being a leader on the ice, but off of it as well.

Your right kes gave everything he had for the Canucks and that's why in my books he will be a Canuck until he dies. 

Lmfao only reason it was the Sedins team is cause kes had no line mates and also who you think shut down the other teams top players? Sure wasn't your legends... 

Also kes showed up in the playoffs no matter what , I can think of a few times where the Sedins just blah....

kes could had more 40 goal seasons if he didn't have to do all the dirty work himself....

he has showed at times no push back and that's something kes never did. 

Watch game tape? Do you know what made kes so special? He hated to lose just like juice and burr so in practice it would get heated and that's what pushed all three of those players , look at what Miller has brought to the team , plays the game a lot like kes and everyone loves him....look at what Miller has done for petey and Brock and Jake , now if kes would have stayed we would have had that type of leadership already.... 

52 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

the Sedins would have never made it to the finals without Kes!

Haha...that is about the stupidest thing I have seen typed on here for awhile....

:picard:

Sedins would have been stars if Kesler's dad never met his mom.  Give me a break. 

Edit:

dubas.PNG.d5e84ed2ea6c5861237fcaba63dd857e.PNG

dubas.PNG.7b049a4d6472beae533129a93402df7b.PNG

dubas.PNG.5f4e444b2ed67da73d2a7cc90ec71d34.PNG

As was already said above, Kesler was a good support player. If he had not been around another player would have taken his place. I use to really like his game. Then he turned into a dbag in real life (ask his team mates wives) and soured me on him a bit. 

Anyway, I hope the Canucks win the next game.  

dubas.PNG.2ce7c407ffae263087adc2c2b123d77c.PNG

Their last 7 game winning streak was in 2013. The Canucks had a bunch of them from 2010-2013.  Look at that 10 game winning streak from 2002. Wow lol.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Haha 1