The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Unsung hero so far???

Rate this topic

Junkyard Dog

Pearson.....Provided we talk about players, who plays above, what was expected, without getting all the plaudits. 

1. Pearson

2. Motte

3. Stecher/Jake

Find it hard not to put Marky or Miller at the top of the tree, but they probably get the recognition, they deserve.

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 3

23 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Stecher for me as well.

Pearson is a close second. But forwards like Pearson, Leivo, Sutter do get praise when they have a good stretch of games. Meanwhile Stecher just goes on consistently doing his job, night after night, never complaining about being on the bottom pair or excluded from the PP. I don't know about his fancy stats, but with the eye test he seems to put in 100% every shift, and I contend he is our best defenseman, besides Hughes of course, at making the quick smart decisions with the puck even under pressure. Clearing the puck out of the zone and finding a forward to pass to. If he loses the puck, he ferociously skates to retake it. He uses position to make up for size expertly. Love the guy.

Stech also hits hard. Guys don’t realize how strong he is. I’ve seen players go in for a hit on Stecher and he stands them up. 

I'm with the OP on this one.  Secondary scoring in a big way - and often with Bo taking on the best in the league.   Always impressed with how many shot shots he manages to get off - often leads our forwards.  

Honourable mentions to JV and AG - and recently even LE.  All these are playing their roles well, and most games helping the cause. 

Pearson started of ok, it took some time to pick up off where he started last year, the fact he's passed it is pretty cool.   Six points the last two games has put him over the top - he's working hard to earn another contract - and is actually a decent trade chip now too.   One of the better trades JB has made, opened up a spot to sign Myers and solidify our weak right side - plus playing like a true top six player - bet its worked out even better then management hope for,

If Leivo wasn't injured he'd also be in this discussion.   Took awhile to gain some traction - but once he did also a good contributor - on pace for 20 goals.   

Someone posted today that we are on pace for 278 goals.   That's better then both the WCE and Sedin teams.   Just a great time to be a fan.  Should also mention the Sedins best year they managed 261 goals for...but that team only allowed 185 in. 

Still.  WOW.   Can't wait to see what we do two-five seasons from now.  A lot of middle six guys will leave and be replace with prospects and aging vets on one year deals (50ish vets signed one year contracts at bargain rates last summer).   Good times ahead.  Predicted we would make the playoffs and lose a seven game series in round two. Hope we get there and at the half way point it's looking that way - thanks to guys like these.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

JT Miller still doesn't get as much credit as he should

Our first line of Miller-Pete-Boeser is legit

Miller doesn’t get enough credit? 

Come now... 

His name is front and Center in every PGT and he has been largely heralded as the team MVP along with EP and Marky. 

Should he get more credit?

Possibly, but he certainly isn’t suffering from a lack of recognition from the fanbase as a stud hero. 

(Even the media is raving about him and that trade)

As far as a true-unsung hero, I’m going with Stetcher, who has been punching above his weight class, being forced up the depth chart to cover for injuries, while playing a gritty, gutsy, selfless game. He might not be our best Dman, but he has defended as well as anyone, while remaining disciplined and healthy.

Tanev and others are the pillars of our collective trust back there and they get plenty of recognition, thus are disqualified from the OP’s task of selecting an unsung hero. 

Troy Stetcher, unsung hero through the first half of 2019-2020. 

Runner-up, Adam Gaudette, clutch centerman, soon to be our 2C. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Come now... 

His name is front and Center in every PGT and he has been largely heralded as the team MVP along with EP and Marky. 

Should he get more credit?

Possibly, but he certainly isn’t suffering from a lack of recognition from the fanbase as a stud hero. 

(Even the media is raving about him and that trade)

As far as a true-unsung hero, I’m going with Stetcher, who has been punching above his weight class, being forced up the depth chart to cover for injuries, while playing a gritty, gutsy, selfless game. He might not be our best Dman, but he has defended as well as anyone, while remaining disciplined and healthy.

Tanev and others are the pillars of our collective trust back there and they get plenty of recognition, thus are disqualified from the OP’s task of selecting an unsung hero. 

Troy Stetcher, unsung hero through the first half of 2019-2020. 

Runner-up, Adam Gaudette, clutch centerman, soon to be our 2C. 

Are you implying that horvat will be our 3c???

4 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

4 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Nope.  He's implying that Horvat or Miller will he gone by the end of the year.   You know to get our first and third rounder for an "epic" draft class ha ha.  Not sure what he means by this but maybe we should "PANIC!!"panicked the office GIF

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Maybe by the end of next season, yes, IMO. 

AG projects very well already as a 2C, perhaps more so than for the traditional view/duty of a 3C anyways. It’s just a line title at this point anyways - those labels mean far less today than they once did. 

Horvat is a great 2C and is already doing, as he always has, the 3C responsibilities too. Might as well make it official. 

The way I see it, if all goes well, eventually AG will effectively fill in offensively at 2C, freeing up Horvat for what he excels at and the roster benefits.  A luxury of depth at C will allow for this unless AG doesn’t maintain his expected trajectory.

It’s not that much of a stretch to imagine this scenario as the NHL continues to move on from traditional roles, lines and expectations. Horvat is a defensive star and possibly needed in that capacity than he is/might be in a secondary scoring C role with AG in the mix. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Come now... 

He'll get enough credit when one (or all) of the following happens:

1) Everyone admits he was worth a 1st round pick

2) His face is plastered on billboards and bus stops around downtown Vancouver

3) He scores the Stanley Cup winning goal and is named Conn Smythe winner

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Maybe by the end of next season, yes, IMO. 

AG projects very well already as a 2C, perhaps more so than for the traditional view/duty of a 3C anyways. It’s just a line title at this point anyways - those labels mean far less today than they once did. 

Horvat is a great 2C and is already doing, as he always has, the 3C responsibilities too. Might as well make it official. 

The way I see it, if all goes well, eventually AG will effectively fill in offensively at 2C, freeing up Horvat for what he excels at and the roster benefits.  A luxury of depth at C will allow for this unless AG doesn’t maintain his expected trajectory.

It’s not that much of a stretch to imagine this scenario as the NHL continues to move on from traditional roles, lines and expectations. Horvat is a defensive star and possibly needed in that capacity than he is/might be in a secondary scoring C role with AG in the mix. 

Exactly.  The line titles especially- Horvats line gets the nod as our first line with most sports illustrations- but we all know he's not our first line.  That designation goes to EP.   Maybe it's a stretch to say he's going to become our second line centre (AG)...but in a few short years Horvat is up again and you never know.   It really all comes down to progression and so far he's aces.   Our future is bright...dare I say that our Cs depth if better then ever?  1a 1b and 2...

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

Pearson getting lots of nods in this thread...i guess he just went from unsung to sung. :P

Yep.   Maybe it's time to talk about LE.  He's kept the bench warm with a smile and comes in and plays admirably for the most part.   At 3 million nobody would be complaining....that said 6 million really?  He's ruining everything.  Ha ha. 

• Cheers 1

Roussel - Our 3rd line finally has an identity now with him back and he brings a veterans presence to Gaud and Jake. Having 3 lines that can score is huge. 

Fantanberg - Rarely do I see him making mistakes and right now he fits our system better than Jordie Benn. 

Wouldn’t call him an unsung hero but would just like to mention that Myers has been playing pretty good as of late and I hope he keeps it up. It was frustrating watching him make stupid pinches but when he doesn’t make those 3-4 blunders a game he’s solid.